Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There is a mock audiophile thread, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Can't post there. Too busy enjoying the improved dynamism of the vocal aesthetic.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Returned the 800S's - they were good but not EUR 1250 good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Ignore

grack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i have a little more money than sense and picked up a set of DT770s to supplement my DT990s because i wasn't quite happy with the lack of bass and very high treble which i thought i could ignore but couldn't, and when trying to use them while gaming i immediately noticed just how enclosed they are compared to the 990s, where it actually feels like sounds are around me at a distance and not just some degree rotating directly around my head with the 770s. my google-fu here sucks and i don't know what to search for, but i'm wondering if someone here can explain, or link to a good resource, that can tell me why open-back headphones can produce such a noticeable effect. i checked the glossary pages linked in the op and all they say is that that is the difference between open and closed backed, but i would like to read the "technical" reason this happens

site fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 8, 2021

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Sorbus posted:

Returned the 800S's - they were good but not EUR 1250 good.

Agreed. I demoed them and liked them, and managed to snag a display pair on the cheap. Eventually sold them for what I paid when I realized I was using my HD600 the majority of the time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

site posted:

so i have a little more money than sense and picked up a set of DT770s to supplement my DT990s because i wasn't quite happy with the lack of bass and very high treble which i thought i could ignore but couldn't, and when trying to use them while gaming i immediately noticed just how enclosed they are compared to the 990s, where it actually feels like sounds are around me at a distance and not just some degree rotating directly around my head with the 770s. my google-fu here sucks and i don't know what to search for, but i'm wondering if someone here can explain, or link to a good resource, that can tell me why open-back headphones can produce such a noticeable effect. i checked the glossary pages linked in the op and all they say is that that is the difference between open and closed backed, but i would like to read the "technical" reason this happens

I'm not versed in the technical details as to what creates soundstage, but the gist of it is that with a closed back headphone all of the soundwaves and reflections and whatnot are bound within the earcup, whereas in an open back they can escape into the room you're in and reflect off other, further away surfaces. The acoustic properties of the inside of an earcup (or any small space) don't allow for the perception of a wide soundstage, a limitation open backs don't have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I'm hankering for a replacement for my Tin T2's at last, if I like V sound IEMs what's a good option for around $100?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ER2XR is the be-all end-all at that price point if they're comfortable for you. It's a big if though, and the cable is trash and difficult to replace. I use mine a lot but I think they would annoy me if they were my only IEM. Worth putting up with because you really can't beat the imaging and tuning until you get much pricier, imo.

Other excellent options: Moondrop Aria, Thieaudio legacy 2, Fiio fh3.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those other 3 were the had open in tabs when I posted, I ended up buying the Aria's since I've been around people who won't ever shut up about Moondrop and they look the coolest. I might try the Etymotics at some point but comfort is everything right now since a big reason for wanting something to replace the T2s is comfort.

And after reading reviews now I have a wishlist of stuff about 2 pages long on Ali Express oh god its happening

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I like my Sony MDR-7506’s a lot, but at times they’re a bit too isolating. What would be comparable but less isolating?

I bought a pair of Aftershokz Aeropex a couple months ago and yeah, they hardly isolate at all so they have that going, but they also sound like poo poo for anything other than podcasts.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Those other 3 were the had open in tabs when I posted, I ended up buying the Aria's since I've been around people who won't ever shut up about Moondrop and they look the coolest. I might try the Etymotics at some point but comfort is everything right now since a big reason for wanting something to replace the T2s is comfort.

Great choice, they're v good. Etys can be as comfortable as anything but it takes much longer to figure out than most iems.

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I like my Sony MDR-7506’s a lot, but at times they’re a bit too isolating. What would be comparable but less isolating?

Open headphones are a whole rear end thing, what's your budget?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Open headphones are a whole rear end thing, what's your budget?

Ah, there we go… let’s say max $150. Mostly I want something as close to the MDR-7506’s profile as possible, but I have too much tinnitus to justify throwing a boatload of cash at my ears.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'd go with the new he400se model that just came out, but also look at the shp9600 and hd58x

nothing open back is really going to match the signature of the 7506 because they're all going to sound wildly better than that headphone lol

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok thanks! I’ll look into those. I like the 7506 a lot but all ears are different.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm not really making GBS threads on the 7506, they're all I used for years. Open backs just tend to have the edge on closed backs in general, and the 7506 is a very "closed back" sounding headphone. It also has a very distinctly "honky" upper midrange that's pretty unique to that headphone, so other tunings are gonna sound very different at first.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a good open back for any reason I'm happy to stand by the Sennheiser 560S as "all you really need". There are better sure, but gosh darn that 560S is staggeringly good value for money. I say that as someone with Anandas in a drawer. Sure they're better in nearly every way but at about 5 times the price? Harder to recommend for a entry purchase. (but you know, good)

In other news I became a relatively early adopter of the Topping X Shenzenaudio EX5 dac/amp combo unit. It's good. Really good. Staggeringly good for the money. You can buy a fancy stack if you like but I don't know what you'd need anything more than this in the modern age unless you really like T50RP mods or something else surpemely power hungry. No I didn't try the bluetooth features, I already have a phone that can do that just fine.

Protip: Thieaudio Legacy 5s sound best on high gain with volume 28. The Sennheiser 560s on high gain at volume 40. Don't mix them up otherwise you'll not be wearing headphones for a day or two. Ouch. Also have some AAAs for the remote because some key functions (like changing default output from preout to headphone) are REMOTE ONLY. So have some batteries lying around, or anothe remote you can pillage from for initial setup. Don't worry, your settings stick.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cuz I’m cheap and it’ll be my first pair of open backs I opted for the SHP9600. Thanks for the advice! Supposed to be delivered tomorrow. From what I understand my iPhone should be sufficient to power them so I won’t need to break out the wallet for an amp, but please do correct me if I’m woefully ignorant.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I went ahead and ordered the PC38X finally. I'm hoping this can replace like 3 different headsets for me (work, gaming, music) around the house. Never had open back before, curious what it feels like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It feels super weird at first because you’ll put them on and still be able to hear everything around you, which goes against everything you’ve felt with headphones up to that point.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

If you want a good open back for any reason I'm happy to stand by the Sennheiser 560S as "all you really need". There are better sure, but gosh darn that 560S is staggeringly good value for money. I say that as someone with Anandas in a drawer. Sure they're better in nearly every way but at about 5 times the price? Harder to recommend for a entry purchase. (but you know, good)

In other news I became a relatively early adopter of the Topping X Shenzenaudio EX5 dac/amp combo unit. It's good. Really good. Staggeringly good for the money. You can buy a fancy stack if you like but I don't know what you'd need anything more than this in the modern age unless you really like T50RP mods or something else surpemely power hungry. No I didn't try the bluetooth features, I already have a phone that can do that just fine.

Protip: Thieaudio Legacy 5s sound best on high gain with volume 28. The Sennheiser 560s on high gain at volume 40. Don't mix them up otherwise you'll not be wearing headphones for a day or two. Ouch. Also have some AAAs for the remote because some key functions (like changing default output from preout to headphone) are REMOTE ONLY. So have some batteries lying around, or anothe remote you can pillage from for initial setup. Don't worry, your settings stick.

I'm really enjoying my EX5 as well. I noted ITT before that the original unit I was shipped had a bad balanced amp output with noise and hiss, so there may be a risk of poor quality control when buying one of these. Shenzhen did send me a replacement via express DHL shipping though as soon as I reported the issue, and I'm very happy with the properly functioning version.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Are there any decent earbuds/IEMs under $100 that you folks recommend? I had a pair of Bose IE2s that fit my ears perfectly but finally died.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sterling_Archer posted:

Are there any decent earbuds/IEMs under $100 that you folks recommend? I had a pair of Bose IE2s that fit my ears perfectly but finally died.
I asked this exact question earlier on the page. Here's the answer I got.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ER2XR is the be-all end-all at that price point if they're comfortable for you. It's a big if though, and the cable is trash and difficult to replace. I use mine a lot but I think they would annoy me if they were my only IEM. Worth putting up with because you really can't beat the imaging and tuning until you get much pricier, imo.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

njsykora posted:

I asked this exact question earlier on the page. Here's the answer I got.

Perfect, thanks!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I have the latest absurd hype train Chi-Fi IEMs, Geek Wold GK10. The shells are ridiculous (polished wood in a 3D heart shape), 2DD 1BA 1 piezo hybrid set. I don’t think they’re particularly good.

They do have decent separation in the mids and treble, which I’m guessing people are latching onto? They have massive bloated mid bass, so mids are heavily warm and thick sounding. Meanwhile they’re missing sub bass rumble and extension. I also think they are lacking some upper mids presence, it feels like they’re both missing details and also just lacks any real bite or presence for a lot of vocals and guitars.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Hello headphones thread. I love my Sennheiser HD560's (that may not be the correct model number, but closest I can find on the Sennheiser website currently) that I have had for years on my desktop, but they are wired and I do most of my headphone use sitting with my laptop in my recliner and I prefer not to have a cable anymore.

Is there a good bluetooth, open headphones similar to the HD560's? Having a microphone built in is a plus, and I am not limiting myself to Sennheiser. Noise canceling is not a requirement and not even wanted to be honest.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Nope.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is there anything comparable or better than the ER4? I can't find my ER4P that I've had for at least 15 years and it's bumming me out even though I mostly use the HD6XX now that I'm locked in the house again

nerox posted:

Hello headphones thread. I love my Sennheiser HD560's (that may not be the correct model number, but closest I can find on the Sennheiser website currently) that I have had for years on my desktop, but they are wired and I do most of my headphone use sitting with my laptop in my recliner and I prefer not to have a cable anymore.

Is there a good bluetooth, open headphones similar to the HD560's? Having a microphone built in is a plus, and I am not limiting myself to Sennheiser. Noise canceling is not a requirement and not even wanted to be honest.
You can get separate a Bluetooth receiver and plug the headphones into that. The sound quality is probably going to be :shrug: but probably good enough for just watching crap on the laptop

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only wireless open backs I know of are the Grado GW100s, you probably want something like a Fiio BTR3/5 instead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SHP9600s arrived and while I'm sold on the open-back, they're much too bass-heavy for my tastes so I'll probably be returning them for a different option. They're great for hip-hop/R&B, but dat rear end much too fat for classical.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dicty Bojangles posted:

SHP9600s arrived and while I'm sold on the open-back, they're much too bass-heavy for my tastes so I'll probably be returning them for a different option. They're great for hip-hop/R&B, but dat rear end much too fat for classical.

Look into the massdrop sennheisers. hd6xx or hd58x.

I have and like both. The differences aren’t as big as headphone nerds make them seem. The 58x is more suited to driving with a phone, which I think you mentioned.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks, I’ll do that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
58x is an absolutely wonderful headphone for classical.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

What portable dac/amp would you recommend to go with it?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Your phone if it has a headphone jack. If not, a USB-C dongle (Samsung or Apple. Meizu also has one that measures well)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The reason I ask is because I think the Apple dongle for my iPhone XS is boosting bass… or maybe it’s the phone itself. I compared plugging the SHP9600 into my 2018 Mac Mini and didn’t have the same tubby bass as the iPhone. It was a lot more neutral, which is what I prefer. I use Plexamp on both, listened to the same tracks, and made triple sure I don’t have any eq enabled on either device. My Belkin charge+dac dongle has the same tubby bass so maybe it’s the phone itself.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, I was about to say that while the SHP9600 has improved bass over the SHP9500, I've never heard of anyone call it too bass-heavy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dicty Bojangles posted:

The reason I ask is because I think the Apple dongle for my iPhone XS is boosting bass… or maybe it’s the phone itself.

It must be something going on with your phone, the apple dongle measures ruler flat and has no built-in DSP.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok good to know. I’ll do some more poking around in settings before I give up on the headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Can anybody recommend a pair of wireless earbuds or IEMs that might be suitable for doing yardwork or exercising? I've gone through tons of cheap wired earbuds through the years and it's always a pain in the rear end getting the wire caught on something and yanking them out of my ears. Not particularly worried about sound quality for these purposes.