Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Agoat posted:

Creatures of Aether is very good for anyone looking for a new game to play.

This is a very neat game with Triple Triad-style gameplay. Definitely worth checking out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Recent conversation excepted, the degree to which posting in this thread has slowed and the focus shifted to IAP-heavy gachas and idlers is kind of depressing. It feels like there was something interesting coming out every week a few years ago. I'm thinking about trying out an iPhone the next time I upgrade. Is there more support for games on iOS, or is this just the state of the mobile games market in general?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BrianRx posted:

Recent conversation excepted, the degree to which posting in this thread has slowed and the focus shifted to IAP-heavy gachas and idlers is kind of depressing. It feels like there was something interesting coming out every week a few years ago. I'm thinking about trying out an iPhone the next time I upgrade. Is there more support for games on iOS, or is this just the state of the mobile games market in general?

If you pay for Apple Arcade you can get some playable stuff but even the iOS gaming thread is pretty similar.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Len posted:

If you pay for Apple Arcade you can get some playable stuff but even the iOS gaming thread is pretty similar.

Ah, bummer. Luckily podcasts have gotten better in the interim to keep my commute bearable.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Ah, bummer. Luckily podcasts have gotten better in the interim to keep my commute bearable.

You best not be sleeping on Slice & Dice

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have some travel coming up and have never really gotten into mobile games. I didn't see a reccomend me thread, if I missed it apologies!

Can anyone reccomend me a few games? I don't mind throwing down a few bucks if it's worth it. I quite enjoy tower defense, tactical or strategic stuff (ff tactics or xcom style as well as moving bigger units around a map or like a hearts of irom/crusader kings vibe) , the old flip phone Era drug lord games (buy and sell drugs between different cities) and harvest moon/ star dew valley stuff.

Appreciate any direction!

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Infinitode 2 is a pretty good tower defense game. Bad North is also quite fun for a squad based defense game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

You best not be sleeping on Slice & Dice

Doing a full party of defenders is just wrecking me. I did it with acolytes, wizards or whatever the blue ones were super duper easy. I got to the final boss with thieves but died. I haven't tried warrior yet.

Going to try a hard mode run.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BrianRx posted:

I don't know far back you're thinking this trend became prevalent, but I wonder how much of that has to do with people staying at home for the past year and a half. I just dont really have any need for intricate phone games when I have multiple gaming systems literally ten seconds away from my grasp at literally any time during the day. Obviously there are still people commuting, going elsewhere, not having gaming systems with them at all times and all that, but that's certainly been the situation for me lately. If I play anything on my phone it'll be something mindless while watching tv, or a quick diversion while waiting for code to compile.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have some travel coming up and have never really gotten into mobile games. I didn't see a reccomend me thread, if I missed it apologies!

Can anyone reccomend me a few games? I don't mind throwing down a few bucks if it's worth it. I quite enjoy tower defense, tactical or strategic stuff (ff tactics or xcom style as well as moving bigger units around a map or like a hearts of irom/crusader kings vibe) , the old flip phone Era drug lord games (buy and sell drugs between different cities) and harvest moon/ star dew valley stuff.

Dungeon Warfare 1 or 2 for tower defense (I've not played 2 but someone else should be able to comment on it)
Xcom itself if your phone is up to it
Shattered Pixel Dungeon is a decent little rogue lite rpg

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Waroduce posted:

Can anyone reccomend me a few games? I
don't mind throwing down a few bucks if it's worth it. I quite enjoy tower defense, tactical or strategic stuff.

I don't know about a "few" bucks, but basically the entire square library is available, which would lead me to The Last Revenant as a suggestion, since I recall that was a pretty grand strategy game that was pretty well received when it dropped on consoles years ago.

Other than that, I also believe the original Disgaea is floating around for purchase in the 20 bucks range, which does seem like a bit much for such an old game, but I kinda reconsile that with it being like a 100+ hour grinder of a game.

I'm quite fond of getting around to some of these PS2/3 era games on a phone now. I'm currently playing through DQ8 and, hoo boy, I'm just thrilled that I can pop it open during a commute to work and make a little progress and just sleep it until later. Cell phones are excellent for old grindy jrpgs, who'd've thunk it?

On top of all that, rather than the straight route, have you considered emulation at all? There's a bevy available on the playstore for every console up until like the Wii at this point. There's oodles of great fan-made Pokemons and etc available.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Waroduce posted:

XCOM 1 and 2 are both on Android, as is the war of the lions version of FFT.

For tower defense/strategy, I would HIGHLY recommend Dungeon of the Endless. It's on sale right now. ($5) If you've never played it, you have to move a crystal across a series of rooms to the exit. If rooms don't have power they spawn monsters that come after the crystal, and you never have enough power to light a full path. Rooms can be upgraded with defenses and resources generators. The characters have persistent progression across runs. It's very, very good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Arms_Akimbo posted:

XCOM 1 and 2 are both on Android, as is the war of the lions version of FFT.

For tower defense/strategy, I would HIGHLY recommend Dungeon of the Endless. It's on sale right now. ($5) If you've never played it, you have to move a crystal across a series of rooms to the exit. If rooms don't have power they spawn monsters that come after the crystal, and you never have enough power to light a full path. Rooms can be upgraded with defenses and resources generators. The characters have persistent progression across runs. It's very, very good.

It's also on PC and is loving rad. It ties into some 4x game I couldn't get into.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

New Leaf posted:

It's also on PC and is loving rad. It ties into some 4x game I couldn't get into.

A whole series of 4x games actually, the Endless series. Endless Legend, and Endless Space 1&2.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tann posted:

Thanks for your support all, the free demo is like 40% of the game so feel free to play without paying : )
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com.tann.dice

I ignore good advice. I've been playing the hell out of this for the last couple of days, and just sent Google bucks your way. It'll take me a while to work my way up to beating Hard (Normal is a nice back-and-forth battle, with just enough randomness to make victory not a certain thing, and to give me that 'hah, pulled THAT out of my rear end' feeling when clever tactics steal a losing fight.) I don't know that I even want to consider Unfair yet.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone playing Almora Darkosen? Nice little rpg, seems like full campaign is free as well which is nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKtmAPrj5s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've seen a dozen+ different block destroyer games. Are any of them actually good and playable?

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

delfin posted:

I ignore good advice. I've been playing the hell out of this for the last couple of days, and just sent Google bucks your way. It'll take me a while to work my way up to beating Hard (Normal is a nice back-and-forth battle, with just enough randomness to make victory not a certain thing, and to give me that 'hah, pulled THAT out of my rear end' feeling when clever tactics steal a losing fight.) I don't know that I even want to consider Unfair yet.

Unfair is rough, I got pretty far on one run with some good item and skill combinations - a shield with rescue and growth ended up blocking all damage to my whole party by itself on many turns, but eventually wisps summoning a million skeletons outlasted my luck.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How does that game determine which party member gets leveled up, and when?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As far as I understand:
  • You get a party member upgrade after every odd floor.
  • It randomly picks two of the lowest level characters to offer upgrades to.
  • When only one character is lower level, offer that character 2 upgrade choices.
  • Repeat until everyone's level 3.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Dumb question but for purchasing Slice and Dice I've got to use this itch.io site?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kris xK posted:

Dumb question but for purchasing Slice and Dice I've got to use this itch.io site?

I just bought it through the app.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CainFortea posted:

I just bought it through the app.

Oops turns out I still had the itch version installed

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Arzaac posted:

As far as I understand:
  • You get a party member upgrade after every odd floor.
  • It randomly picks two of the lowest level characters to offer upgrades to.
  • When only one character is lower level, offer that character 2 upgrade choices.
  • Repeat until everyone's level 3.

Got it in one.

There are times that I wish that I could turn down a class upgrade, though that's part of the random nature of the game. Like, "turn your Trapper into a Dancer or your Evoker into an Artificer," which completely changes the dynamic of one or the other.

Though that's not always a bad thing, of course... like when my Evoker / Chronos got the Sharp Wit artifact, which turns basic mana into swords and triples their strength. Combine that with Faerie's Pact and all of a sudden my caster has a 12-damage sword.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, and sometimes it's the opposite. I just lost a run because I kept getting new classes that didn't use the artifacts I had very well. I ended up with like 2/3rds of my artifacts in my bag.

But, yea, that's the nature of the beast.

Kind of wish there was a game mode that was like Infinite, but you could start with whatever team you wanted, and start with some artifacts. Just to see how far you can get on a really strong start.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

New spot open in the goon Shop Titans guild for anyone that wants to give the game a go!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tann posted:

There's an infinite mode where you keep some stuff when you loop but you lose it all when you die.

How does one unlock that? The only locked mode I see on the side is Cursed, as I haven't gotten past Hard yet.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

delfin posted:

How does one unlock that? The only locked mode I see on the side is Cursed, as I haven't gotten past Hard yet.

Cursed mode is the infinite mode. It's quite challenging though, good luck!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Offline combat just dropped in melvor idle. Its a progress bar idle game that wholesale steals most concepts from runescape, it is kickin rad.

My one recommendation is that if you decide to pick it up you go for some sort of moneymaker immediately. Bank space gets expensive quick if you don't.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

This may have been mentioned but this is a game by the makers of goon-favorite "80 Days" about getting away with MURDER.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.InkleLtd.Overboard&hl=en_US&gl=US

Costs a bit but its super fun and has a lot of replay value. Also available on Steam!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New Leaf posted:

This may have been mentioned but this is a game by the makers of goon-favorite "80 Days" about getting away with MURDER.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.InkleLtd.Overboard&hl=en_US&gl=US

Costs a bit but its super fun and has a lot of replay value. Also available on Steam!

drat, is this tablet only? Says it's incompatible with my phone (Galaxy S8). Looks fun. How much is it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Offline combat just dropped in melvor idle. Its a progress bar idle game that wholesale steals most concepts from runescape, it is kickin rad.

My one recommendation is that if you decide to pick it up you go for some sort of moneymaker immediately. Bank space gets expensive quick if you don't.

this is fun.. def pick a moneymaker and then once you can just print spaces keep on going.. just specialize in mining or something until you can start printing money. with offline combat maybe I'll get bakc to it.. combat was somewaht annoying to level because it required some babysitting.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

drat, is this tablet only? Says it's incompatible with my phone (Galaxy S8). Looks fun. How much is it?

I got it on my phone? It's $6.50 on the Play store, I'd say it's worth it for the company's reputation for high quality games.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Might be a screen size or os conflict. Installs on an S21+

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang puzzle quest 3 looks really nice

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

explosivo posted:

Dang puzzle quest 3 looks really nice

But how does it play

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Morter posted:

But how does it play

Kinda 2/10 storytelling, don't bother reading anything it's all from the Blizzard school of stock character dialogue. The equipment stuff just feels like a hassle and a PITA. The follower stuff seems kinda boring as well. The match-3 has diagonal movement for the matching and is alright. The spells with different character classes feel interesting and unique.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morter posted:

But how does it play

eh.. I'm barely into it, I kinda want to keep going to see what else there is but it's not really grabbing me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Overboard! is pretty drat good. Just dripping with style. The main loop is that every time you "succeed", there is a tangle you need to solve so you restart. So you get these progressive goals and use prior knowledge from previous runs to do things differently.

Dunno if it will have the same legs as 80 Days but it's good.

Edit: It does not. I've completed every challenge and objective already, and once that's done there isn't any reason to play through again. Good game, but the price is steep for the amount of content.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://hard-drive.net/mobile-gamer-discovers-16-digit-cheat-code/