Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there are elements of that but I also think that there is a lot of institutional inability to think long term. As in, these positions encourage short term thinking and attract fundamentally myopic people and once you hit critical mass of that sort of person, anyone who disagrees gets excluded from the decision making process and you end up with a support group of people huffing their own farts, and when things do go tits up they all console one another and decide that nobody really could be to blame because we all thought it was such a good idea. It is possible to be entirely assured that you are doing the right thing even as you repeatedly gently caress up.

What you would probably identify as a phenomenon associated with social media, of the echo chamber of like minded people drifting further away from reality as their mooring to it is detached and their social group is replaced by curated people who think the same, I do not think is restricted to that environment. That sort of micro-society can be created without the need for technology, especially in closed organizations which curate their membership, such as the leadership of political parties or companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This marshmallow flavoured cider I bought tastes like fuckin jelly babies. Just because I'm an infant baby and want sweet things I am being *punished*. Who taste tested this? How is this marshmallow flavour?

I'm going to have to learn to enjoy beer at this rate.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HopperUK posted:

This marshmallow flavoured cider I bought tastes like fuckin jelly babies. Just because I'm an infant baby and want sweet things I am being *punished*. Who taste tested this? How is this marshmallow flavour?

Try a Kriek

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Sounds like someone needs to get into fruit liquers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HopperUK posted:

quite honestly you deserve everything you get for even considering buying it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The brother's toffee apple stuff is... weird, don't think it tastes like toffee but it's certainly sweet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The brother's toffee apple stuff is... weird, don't think it tastes like toffee but it's certainly sweet.

It is Brothers, yeah.

Listen I don't really drink and I have no tolerance for bitterness. It had a nice bottle. I don't hate it, I'm just cross it isn't what I wanted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You know what, I think I will, that looks nice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

It is Brothers, yeah.

Listen I don't really drink and I have no tolerance for bitterness. It had a nice bottle. I don't hate it, I'm just cross it isn't what I wanted.

Huh I didn't know they did a marshmallow one.

Honestly I would probably just go for like, a bubblegum milkshake or something. Or if you do want something alcoholic I would probably recommend like a kaluha and coke or something, very sweet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I'll go back to the Archers and lemonade, probably. Cheers though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

HopperUK posted:

Can't go wrong with Kriek's in my opinion - if you want a great starter one (both from an ease of drinking and an ease of finding in the shops) then Bacchus make a lovely cherry one. It's wrapped in paper, you can get it in Tesco/Sainsburys/whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archers is a good choice too! I could swear that they used to do a strawberry version when I was younger but I have only ever seen peach for a long time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

HopperUK posted:

It's a perfectly fine gateway drug to Delirium Red. Which is a gateway drug to the other Deliriums.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

All this talk of weird flavours, I can't wait for my weird fudge to arrive.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wonder this about businesses as well. So many apparently weird, short-term thinking disasters waiting to happen make so much more sense when you think of them as one CEO kicking the can down the road, not giving any kind of poo poo about how the next guy is going to have to deal with it.

I kind of feel like the current Tory crop are doing something similar. They're doing all the nightmare poo poo and delaying brexit right now knowing that if the heat gets too high they can just lose the next election to Labour and leave them to reap. Or worst case scenario they can absolutely just resign in 'shame' and head off to a cushy consultancy. They don't care at all about the legacy they might leave the country, or the party, because they'll be gone.

And to think that a century ago sufficiently severe failure was grounds enough to have a self-imposed lead plated pension.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are elements of that but I also think that there is a lot of institutional inability to think long term.

I'm always reminded, when I think about this, of a story i saw in one of the papers when I first started noticing politics, probably in my early teens, when they were contracting for the replacement of British Rail - apparently someone tendered who had recently fixed I think the Swiss national system, and said that with a twenty year contract, they could completely fix the bulk of the problems, sort out many of the bridges and stations that are the wrong size, etc, and it would work out surprisingly cheap per year.

And got rejected because the contracts were five years.

No government wants to put in play twenty or fifty or a hundred year long large infrastructure (social or physical) projects because the initial costs are usually huge and cost you the next election, and the next government just kills the project anyway.

None of our resource distribution methods are designed for long term thinking.

Even when there;s a desire to, unlike the current government whose only desire is to wring as much cash out of the country as possible before and while it collapses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corbyn really was the only time in my life where any major politician has talked of actually constructing something that might last.

Or even constructing anything rather than just PFIing poo poo.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The killer trick would be

a) convincing a critical mass of people that the national credit card thing is nonsense

b) convincing a critical mass of people that the country deserves nice things

Until that happens, you just have a smug plurality sitting around feeling very grown up for realising that better things aren't possible

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It's nice. Stivy's Kola Fruits cider is worth checking out as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58140752

quote:

Tobacco giant Philip Morris has raised its bid to buy respiratory drugmaker Vectura to more than £1bn.

Vectura makes inhaled medicines and devices to treat respiratory illnesses such as asthma, and counts Novartis and GSK among its customers.

The Marlboro cigarette maker increased its offer to £1.65 ($2.29) per share after US private equity firm Carlyle offered £958m ($1.3bn) on Friday.

Come on now, if this was in a Verhoeven movie it would be a bit overblown.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're also supporting a ban on cigarettes in Europe within the decade, so they're obviously planning* something.

Imperial has been making a big move into medicine developed using GM tobacco too, based on their long history of virology research (because the tobacco mosaic virus was costing them money).

*thus making tobacco giants better at >5yr planned projects than liberal democracies lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I suppose it makes sense, if your industry is being pushed to extinction you gotta adapt.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jakabite posted:

The people still defending him need throwing into the sun.

I believe that is a threat to kill.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I suppose it makes sense, if your industry is being pushed to extinction you gotta adapt.
Yeah, it's an interesting change from "we paid several scientists to do a study about how cigarettes are super healthy and stimulate the lungs" to "well there's a lot of research but some researchers say different things to the others so I guess nobody knows, make your own decision" to "nah gently caress it brah, we want a ban, we want a full ban in 9 years because we've got some cards held back that we think will put us ahead of every other tobacco co if that happens"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A decade from now everyone everywhere will be vaping legal weed and smoking tobacco will be like doing snuff or something

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I believe that is a threat to kill.

If you get in the sea before being thrown in the sun you'll be wet tho and therefore be fine

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Spotted in Cornwall:

New neighbours from 'up country'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dear Environment Agency, some things on farms smell like poo and I did not move out here for there to be all animals and poo smells. I am old and white and English and rich enough to move out here and so expect the world to bend to my expectations. Please teach the cows to wipe themselves properly and flush and speak the Queens English instead of Halal.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

fuctifino posted:

Spotted in Cornwall:

Bloody grockles

(Is that the correct Cornish idiom for "cunts from somewhere other than here?")

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smh if you don't associate the smell of farm poo poo with dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Spotted in Cornwall:

Lucky her with her 60th birthday party. My 60th 'party' was a 45 minute zoom call with family during the first lockdown.
My town stank of poo poo for a couple of weeks during muck-spreading season. We're surrounded by farmland.
It's as bad as people buying houses near ancient churches and complaining about the bell ringing on Sunday mornings as has been happening for centuries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

smh if you don't associate the smell of farm poo poo with dinner.

Not me, I eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving hell this town stinks like poo poo whenever they spray the surrounding farmland and we just deal with it. And I live right on the M25. Where do these idiots live?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

sebzilla posted:

Bloody grockles

(Is that the correct Cornish idiom for "cunts from somewhere other than here?")

Grockles are Devon, you want emmetts I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am genuinely wondering where in the UK you could go where it doesn't smell either like animal poo poo or human poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely wondering where in the UK you could go where it doesn't smell either like animal poo poo or human poo poo.

Large parts of Belfast are often on fire so probably just smell like bonfire (with maybe a background note of human and dog poo poo)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

Spotted in Cornwall:

Retired emmet passive-aggressively ordering a working person to cater to them? That's bait

Also everyone should watch Bait

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In the same thread with that letter to the farmer, there are other stories about people who had kept chickens for 40 years being hit with council noise complaint orders from new neighbours, and a beekeeper that got hit with with a barrage of complaints. These people are a loving cancer.

It's now too expensive for many Cornish people to live in Cornwall. Many picturesque towns and villages are now devoid of the shops and services needed to sustain an all year round population, as in some places over 95% of the properties are 2nd homes or airbnb's. The councils take a hit with the reduced council tax revenues, and local businesses can't sustain themselves off of a tourist only trade. Bus services are also now heavily reduced/scrapped in remote areas.

Devon is faring only slightly better. I remember an article from the other week where a Devon MP pointed out that there were only 50 odd rental properties advertised in his constituency on Rightmove, but nearly 500 airbnb listings. Many landlords are evicting AST tenants so that they can list their properties on airbnb.

It's a pretty poo poo situation to be honest....

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
London has been sporadically stinking of poo poo all weekend, I'm fairly sure because the rain has been heavy enough across the whole city that all of the CSOs have just dumped into the river directly. I demand everyone in London stop making GBS threads for at least 72 hours to solve this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Happy Birthday