Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No, no, no! That's just what CAFE wants you to think!

The illuminati is trying to cause global warming by having us NOT run the AC. Obviously the earth is colder when AC cools the air, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yo where can I get one of those AC setups that runs on magic and isn't powered by the car?

Time crystal powered ac when?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BigPaddy posted:

You are completely ignoring that running the AC has a twin effect on fuel economy as the air in the car is colder and thus more dense so you are moving more weight around!
A hot car means hot cabin which means hot air. Hot air rises and is pushing up on the roof of the car which will help your mpg because now you're driving a hot air balloon. :colbert:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My wife told me her car sounded funny after getting it back from state inspection. Seemed pretty unlikely to me but I took it out and sure enough it sounded like it had a clogged cat or something and was down on power. Popped the hood:

JFC. Why does nobody give a poo poo about doing their job correctly anymore? This is why I trust shops to do nothing, and wish I didn't even have to take our cars in for inspections yearly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

They just left it out like that? Holy gently caress.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Krakkles posted:

They just left it out like that? Holy gently caress.

Yup, that was exactly what I found when I opened the hood. Pretty cool huh?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A week or two back during some flash flooding I had the brilliant idea to drive through it despite my wife's protests. It was maybe a foot deep so honestly thought it wouldn't be a problem. Cue p2242 or 2442 for my evap system the next day. Internet search yielded the same make and model code for a guy who's :airquote: wife:airquote: drove through deep water so he replaced the canister and the vent valve. I ordered parts and did the same today.
Wasn't too bad except for Midwest. Broke one bolt for the plastic canister cover and it didn't meet the minimum requirements to be allotted one of my given fucks for the day. Yeah, I'm the PO.

Then there's these stupid studs that hold the canister to the bracket that have no head, only the plastic canister is supposed to keep the rectangle head from rotating. Add rust to the other side and the head started to spin and chew through the plastic.
Vice grips and some swearing later I got them off. Install was reverse of removal (after taking it off again realizing I put it on the bracket backwards). :argh: Cleared the codes and will see if it come back in the next couple drive cycles. Water did pour out of the canister so here's hoping.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Silverado came with stock 20” non-LT rated tires and they kept getting flats and sidewall bubbles just from our local dirt roads and minor potholes. My wife got sick of it so here we are.

18” American Racing wheels with 275/70/18 BFG ATKO2 tires.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The Silverado came with stock 20” non-LT rated tires and they kept getting flats and sidewall bubbles just from our local dirt roads and minor potholes. My wife got sick of it so here we are.

18” American Racing wheels with 275/70/18 BFG ATKO2 tires.

Where are the white letters I ask you, where are they?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Got my line supplies in. Wrapped the braided one in black wrap, then made a new black line for the nhra pressure relief valve. Ready to give it a rip on Friday.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

Where are the white letters I ask you, where are they?

On the inside.

As god intended.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

On the inside.

As god intended.

:wrong:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

On the inside.

As god intended.

I'd do the same after seeing them, looks good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

On the inside.

As god intended.

How wrong you are :negative:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 4, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

How wrong you are :negative:

If my truck was that type of truck, sure. But on a modern one with the all-black trim…meh.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If my truck was that type of truck, sure. But on a modern one with the all-black trim…meh.

Still wrong. More white letters out and what I did to my ride last weekend:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I think your particular truck would stand out and look radical with one of the very, very few white letter options on it flipped out, especially because you are already bucking the trend by doing wheels "right". The contrast would look excellent.
Then again I'm super, super tired of everything looking the same. Black wheels, black tires, angry eyes, and names of wheels like this:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I only like dark wheels on brighter vehicles. Dark cars should have lighter wheels for contrast. So for me, it's just contrast/color wheel considerations. I went for black on my vette because it's red, and chrome looks funky.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This works as both support for white letters out and for the threads primary purpose.

The manufacturer did not offer white letters out as an option so I had to break out the paint pens.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

McTinkerson posted:

This works as both support for white letters out and for the threads primary purpose.

The manufacturer did not offer white letters out as an option so I had to break out the paint pens.

Your truck looks great as a whole, but the white letters are fantastic. You use any special type of tire paint pen or just some standard oil-based stuff? I've got some tires that are in dire need of some white letters.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 'vic has always had a bit of "wiggle butt" going on... but it got a shitload worse last week, to the point that the headlights are sweeping lanes at low speeds.

Got home, lifted the back end up, and...

That's not ideal. The rest of the tire looks fine, but when I first got the car, the front right tire was pretty hosed with belt and layer separation (got a used tire mounted on that wheel pretty quickly - Toyo with close to no wear, date code is last year). Threw the spare on the back when I saw this (you're looking at the right rear tire), and now it just wiggles the front. Guessing this one is starting to separate, also guessing the front left isn't far behind. That would left the left rear as the only tire that came with the car that MIGHT be in okay shape (highly unlikely).

The tire in the picture is from the right rear. I've done one or twenty burnouts since getting this car (it'll hit the speed limiter in a wet parking lot without the car really moving much :stare:), so the rears are definitely a bit more worn than the front, but by tread wear (except in that one spot on that tire), they should have plenty of life left. IF THEY WEREN'T lovely MILESTAR TIRES THAT ARE HELLBENT ON KILLING ME.

Spare tire is now on the right rear. It's a full size spare, and really a brand new tire (PO had it mounted on the spare tire wheel last fall, never been used, nice Yokohama tire, receipt w/road hazard from Discount Tire in the glove box), but it looks like I'm buying a full set of tires for this pile sooner than I wanted to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 5, 2021

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Um, I think you need to have someone take a look underneath that car first before wasting a new set of tires on it.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
after a surprise solicitation, i brought home a station-wagon for $300 this weekend.
here it is pictured in the spot where its sat for the last few years where it was banished to serve as storage space;

it fired right up with a fresh battery and the PO swears its a strong runner but i was warned that one of the power steering lines has a significant leak so they parked it to avoid burning up the PS pump.

fortuitously enough, the JY had a single redblock in their yard

i needed a set of sun-visors for our v70 and found those, too

lol

ill end up back again real soon for more parts and probably at another picknpull across town to see if the one in their yard has a locker.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Changed the oil and got the fill amount right on the first third try! (diesel oil that has been used even for a minute turns black right away you can't escape it)

Tested and made sure the integrated winch was working properly

Fixed the left fog light here as it had fallen into it's housing

And tomorrow if it all goes well, 5 brand new BF Goodrich KO2s, white letters out.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Looks good.

Amazing how much better dipsticks were back then - now it's just smooth surface all the way down with tiny holes to show F and E

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

KakerMix posted:

BF Goodrich KO2s, white letters out.

You have chosen the correct team.

I actually think if it were red lettering it would fit 1000%

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

stone soup posted:

i needed a set of sun-visors for our v70 and found those, too

lol

I do hope you're going to clean around that sticker and not just scrape it off :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dave Inc. posted:

Um, I think you need to have someone take a look underneath that car first before wasting a new set of tires on it.

I'm blaming it mostly on the PO buying 6+ year old "new" Chinesium tires from a sketchy tire shop, but yeah, it's going on an alignment rack. All 4 tires have some degree of separation going on (well, 2 now), they were garbage tires even when new.

Three different friends that work in automotive fields have confirmed they're garbage tires and that the damage I'm seeing is most likely from the belts inside them breaking, though. It has a solid axle rear end too, the only way that kind of damage could happen to just one spot on a rear tire is from something with the tire itself (or balance). If something was up with the rear alignment, both rear tires would have similar damage.

FWIW I've been under the car, everything seems to line up fine, visually. I know it's been hit at some point on the driver's side, but it's a body on frame car - I didn't see any signs of frame repair or damage under it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 7, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Finally got the old compressor off the Silverado today. It was just the clutch but I was only able to get the plate off with the AC tool. The bearing was exploded and stuck so I just got a new compressor. It didn't look the same but it is the right one and no black death so I'll get a new accumulator/drier and expansion tube tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a suck/charge before my road trip on Thursday. Glad I started this project two drat weeks ago, it better work as good as it did before these calamitous events. Fuckin A. At least it was an easy swap.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

McTinkerson posted:

I love those wheels, but man do those mirrors look huge since the truck is at the correct ride height now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Joyeauto (piggyback android auto) unit killed my battery, but this helped me finally figure out which fuses were switched (key in versus key on was a factor). Got it on one of those and having it restart every time causes the wireless android auto to work every time now too. Been keeping an eye on my AGM as it gets back to healthy, because wow do they hate taking a charge once they're under 11v.

Some days you chase electrical gremlins, some days you just sticker bomb:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 7, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yes, good, correct. Tires on the 70, now it can hang out with its cousin as I finish it up.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
\ F O U R \ W H E E L \ D R I V E \

great rides as always!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
got some new shoes today, and they were installed correctly on the wheel

new (used) wheels too

and not a moment too soon

i also discovered that the car is magic
https://i.imgur.com/YuAJ9o6.gifv
or the PO wiring fuckery is worse than i thought

it might actually look pretty good if i can get it off of the stilts it's on

Raluek fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 8, 2021

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Raluek posted:

i also discovered that the car is magic
https://i.imgur.com/YuAJ9o6.gifv
or the PO wiring fuckery is worse than i thought

It's magic running on 100% ork energy. Investigate at your own risk.

New shoes look fine as hell. Correct team.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McTinkerson posted:

Just now noticed the Lobo badging. MXDM or just a badge swap?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

STR posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854315&pagenumber=3#post506745195

I have no idea as European, googling Mexican domestic model results in that thread.

E: oh https://www.hotcars.com/ford-lobo-f150s-in-mexico/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lobo is a great name for a pickup for real.

I picked up a harbor freight vacuum pump to prime my fuel system in the Binder and it seems to be back in business. Back on the mechanical fuel pump that came with it. The fuel selector is working and I can draw from either tank too.

Took it for a drive around the neighborhood that has previously killed it and got home without issue. I can now start climbing the trust ladder again and maybe someday take it somewhere fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, huh. I haven't been in that thread in a long time.

You see the occasional (real) Lobo around here (central TX). Saw TONS of them in my hometown (El Paso TX - right on the border of Juarez MX), along with late model B13 Sentras/Tsurus (they were still sold in Mexico until the 2017 model year). Apparently you could still get Lobos with 3 (okay, 4) pedals and a stick for long after USDM models did away with manuals (F-150 dropped it after 2003... F-250 and up could still get them a bit longer).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

STR posted:

Just a badge swap. Although I did end up looking in Mexico for the exact specs I wanted. Came close too. There's only two '15s in 3.5EB/Ext Cab/RWD/MaxTow/MaxPayload ever made. One is in Mexico and has crank windows.