Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Imminent destruction of NYC aside, the guys thought that crossing the streams would wipe all of Manhattan out in a single blast but they did it anyways because there was a "slim chance they'd survive". They also did it with no real idea what they were doing, or that it would have any effect on the Gozer portal.

I also wonder about Venkman's earlier speech about fate and karma, and how everything that happens in the movie seems predestined. Venkman couldn't help but be a poo poo to Peck, Peck couldn't help but flex his authority and gently caress around with dangerous technology he'd never seen before. Did Shandor know this, was he banking on a team of "ghostbusters" to come along, focus all of the psychic energy in NYC at a single location only to have it all released in a pissing contest between two assholes, resulting in all of those restless spirits being pulled into a conduit at the top of his building and summoning Gozer?

I never took crossing streams as something that would kill loads of people, just the user and perhaps those in close vicinity, "all life as YOU know it". Otherwise Ghostbusting is insanely dangerous.

There is a lot of fate in Ghostbusters as you say, but on my recent watch it struck me a little different. In a lot of narratives the forces of evil are loud and audacious and the opposite forces of good (be it God, or a turtle) are more quiet, and tend to work through people. It's a stretch but you could read some of the coincidences being an opposite force opposing Gozer and silently guiding events, I think mainly about the TV being on in Dana's apartment despite her turning it off and fortuitously showing a Ghostbusters advert leading her to seek them out. There is not a lot of evidence for it, and it obviously rubs up against interpretations of the film as atheists vs spiritualism, but I thought it was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, to me it looked like what they shut off was the storage unit itself plus the backup generators and/or failsafes. Egon says they "shut off the protection grid" which I assume is some sort of backup or failsafe. If they cut the power they just would've gone straight for the circuit breaker and cut it off there.

It's the guy from the power company doing it for one and it looks a lot more like he's turning off a power box. I can't read the note on it beyond "do not turn off" but it looks like something you'd see in most buildings (I have something super similar at my office) and not part of the overall thing. When they're teaching Winston how to use the unit Ray is doing something to the box next to it but not it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GazChap posted:

Just rewatching GB2. It’s never occurred to me before, but why is Winston even still working with the other three at the start?

Eleven-five a year presumably wasn’t that great a salary back in 1984, and once the business collapses to the point that they have to start doing kids parties for meagre money, you’d think he’d try and get another “steady pay check”.

Would have been a good way to explain Winston’s absence for the first part of the film, and then when everything starts going south again they could have re-hired him as they’d know he was good for it.

$11,500 in 1984 is equivalent to $30,072.22 today.

1989 (GB2) it's only $25,197.61.

So not all that great but it seemed like reasonably easy work if you're not the scientist or engineer guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

$11,500 in 1984 is equivalent to $30,072.22 today.

1989 (GB2) it's only $25,197.61.

So not all that great but it seemed like reasonably easy work if you're not the scientist or engineer guy.

I also imagine that if you saved the world it might make you want to keep hanging out at that job for a bit.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Inkspot posted:

One of the previous times this discussion happened, I believe it turned out psychiatrists actually could recommend thorazine for patients around the time of production, but Dana having a sizable bottle of the stuff that may or may not require a syringe to dose is still pretty suspect. Venkman carrying some on him just by random happenstance is even more suspect. But, when given the chance, he keeps it in his pants and applies the thorazine to sedate and then not sleep with her. So... who fuckin' knows.

The guy is conducting a bogus psychic powers study when we meet him, and is clearly intent on scoring with the pretty coed who is part of the study. The amount of skeeve and unethical behavior associated with that behavior is through the roof. So while it's unclear that he had the thorazine for the worst of motives, our best evidence to the contrary is indeed his actual behavior. He ultimately seems to be the sort who will lie to women to get laid, but as a con man who loves the con I suspect he enjoys "winning" and wouldn't be interested in drugging and raping someone because that would represent a failure of his skills. I'm uncertain whether the moral wrongness would enter into his calculus, though.

Worrying about how Peter got some thorazine without being concerned about how Ray and Egon got the fissionable materials for their unlicensed nuclear accelerators is a little odd.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, to me it looked like what they shut off was the storage unit itself plus the backup generators and/or failsafes. Egon says they "shut off the protection grid" which I assume is some sort of backup or failsafe. If they cut the power they just would've gone straight for the circuit breaker and cut it off there.

"Protection grid" is another term for the containment unit. There is no sign of any backup or fail-safe and if such a fail-safe existed, it would surely have been triggered by the power being switched off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember thinking about how small the basement was in the movie version of the firehall, but then it was either in the huge GB book that came out a few years ago, an interview with Reitman, or some sort of behind the scenes thing, but someone pointed out that it's so small there because the actual, physical protection grid is walled up, hence the light coming through the cracks between the huge bricks.

Ninja edit: actually, it was a fan theory video on YouTube about how the containment unit worked.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Where's my Walter Peck miniseries where this patient man with the world on his shoulders is just poo poo all over? It'll be a tragedy. Peck's marriage fell apart after due to the stress of dealing with Venkman. His daughter won't speak to him. Peck's son can't look him in the eyes.

And Walter lost his shoes when the marshmallow man frosted him

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 8, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

Where's my Walter Peck miniseries where this patient man with the world on his shoulders is just poo poo all over? It'll be a tragedy. Peck's marriage fell apart after due to the stress of dealing with Venkman. His daughter won't speak to him. Peck's son can't look him in the eyes.

And Walter lost his shoes when the marshmallow man frosted him

To be fair, he does create a ghostbusting robot.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Egon notes while they’re looking at the firehouse that it’s “totally inadequate for our power needs.” But at least the pole still worked.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Narsham posted:

The guy is conducting a bogus psychic powers study when we meet him, and is clearly intent on scoring with the pretty coed who is part of the study...

To be (overly) fair if you pay attention to the cards the experiment is actually working. The guy getting zapped is nailing the cards after the negative reinforcement.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Splint Chesthair posted:

Egon notes while they’re looking at the firehouse that it’s “totally inadequate for our power needs.” But at least the pole still worked.

I always thought that was Egon and Peter just trying to get the price down from the real estate agent before Ray comes and blows it all by going off on how great and awesome it is.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I always thought that was Egon and Peter just trying to get the price down from the real estate agent before Ray comes and blows it all by going off on how great and awesome it is.

That was my read too, I do like how you can see the dynamic and connections between the characters in these scenes. Ray and Egon obviously share a fascination with science in a way that Peter doesn't, yet Peter and Egon share a worldliness and business savvy that Ray clearly doesn't have. Their relationships with each other feel very authentic and detailed.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Which is funny because Peter and Egon, from all we’re shown and told, have never had private sector jobs, they’ve been swaddled by academia the whole time while Ray, according to he and Pete’s post-firing drinking session, has private sector experience and should probably be the savvy one, but his key character trait is that he’s pretty naïve. I mean, really, thinking a giant marshmallow man wouldn’t kill everyone the same as anything else. C’mon. Maybe Egon should have told him about the slorth.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

8one6 posted:

To be (overly) fair if you pay attention to the cards the experiment is actually working. The guy getting zapped is nailing the cards after the negative reinforcement.

Peter actually has results, but he's completely uninterested in the guy who can remote view because he's after the girl. The point of the study, for him, isn't to establish the existence of psychic phenomena, it's to get laid.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, yeah.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Karloff posted:

That was my read too, I do like how you can see the dynamic and connections between the characters in these scenes. Ray and Egon obviously share a fascination with science in a way that Peter doesn't, yet Peter and Egon share a worldliness and business savvy that Ray clearly doesn't have. Their relationships with each other feel very authentic and detailed.

They carry that through the movie too, like how Egon is the one to collude with Peter in the pricing at the hotel, and Ray is wildly overpaying for a lemon while Peters eyes bug out at the cost.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, yeah.

We can only imagine what buying the Ecto-1 was like as I think Ray did that on his own. "WOW! An old ambulance! I'll take it!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

We can only imagine what buying the Ecto-1 was like as I think Ray did that on his own. "WOW! An old ambulance! I'll take it!"

"This place is GREAT!

When can we move in?!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Guycot posted:

Egon is very, very openly shaking his head at Peter when the agent asks what they think. It's clear that Spengler is not at all a fan of the building, and early-'80s Tribeca, while not a demilitarized zone, was certainly not exactly a thriving business district.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

King Vidiot posted:

But I would think that the containment unit would have a backup generator. The drat thing is a prison for ghosts, you don't set up a prison for ghosts if a power outage is just going to let all of them go at once.
I mean, hundreds of Texans died because the power companies were deregulated and didn't feel like spending money on adequate backups.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I can def see how Egon's description of the firehouse might be a negotiating tactic (which I'd never really considered), but the idea that the building is completely inadequate for their power needs frankly feels like its the one that may be most true? They probably had just enough room to squeeze the containment unit in the basement much less any additional support power supply which we never see anywhere around. Plus they seemingly only had enough cash to get off the ground, redundant safety systems might not be at the top of the spending list.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Timby posted:

Egon is very, very openly shaking his head at Peter when the agent asks what they think. It's clear that Spengler is not at all a fan of the building, and early-'80s Tribeca, while not a demilitarized zone, was certainly not exactly a thriving business district.

See I think thats all part of their negotiating, otherwise if the building was so bad, why would they instantly fold and say they'll take it just because Ray says "its great, look at this pole!"? If it really was bad they would have walked away anyways, but once Ray gives the game away they know they've been had, and the real estate agent is even smirking so they have to admit defeat and say "we'll take it".

Saying they had to buy a building on the spot they knew was awful and terrible for everything they needed just because Ray was excited about a pole is really weird and doesn't really work as a joke compared to the joke being Ray completely undercutting their negotiations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Guycot posted:

See I think thats all part of their negotiating, otherwise if the building was so bad, why would they instantly fold and say they'll take it just because Ray says "its great, look at this pole!"? If it really was bad they would have walked away anyways, but once Ray gives the game away they know they've been had, and the real estate agent is even smirking so they have to admit defeat and say "we'll take it".

Saying they had to buy a building on the spot they knew was awful and terrible for everything they needed just because Ray was excited about a pole is really weird and doesn't really work as a joke compared to the joke being Ray completely undercutting their negotiations.

The joke is that Peter gives into Ray because he totally hosed Ray already by conning him into a third mortgage on his family home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

The joke is that Peter gives into Ray because he totally hosed Ray already by conning him into a third mortgage on his family home.

Yeah, if that. I don't disagree, but I think it's a way more surface level thing.

Egon and Peter: We don't want it.

Ray: I REALLY WANT IT.

Peter: Welp, that's a good enough argument for me. :shrug:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I always assumed they couldn't afford anything better anyway, but the joke is probably just entirely 'this place is awful, we'll take it'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the joke was a lot simpler. Ray was the guy with the money so if he said they take it Peter and Egon can't really say no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

I mostly want to bring this up because:
Peck was absolutely 100% not flexing his authority. He had a genuine sit down conversation with Peter where Peter absolute-loving-lutely blew off everything he said. Even after the "magic word" like Peck was reasonable enough to say please Venkmen still blew him off.

Naw they hated each other's guts on sight and were immediately mocking and belittling each other. Venkman deliberately got ectoplasm all over Peck and Peck was being smarmy as hell, especially when he repeatedly refused to call him Doctor Venkman and kept calling him Mister Venkman over and over and over

quote:

Walter Peck: I'm Walter Peck, from the Environmental Protection ...

[Venkman shakes hands with Peck and still has ectoplasm on his hands]

Walter Peck: ... Agency, the third district.

Dr. Peter Venkman: [Peck is wiping the ectoplasm on his jacket] Great, how's it going down there?

Walter Peck: Are you Peter Venkman?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes, I'm *Doctor* Venkman!

Walter Peck: Exactly what are you a doctor of, Mr. Venkman?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Well, I have a PhD in parapsychology and psychology.

Walter Peck: And now, you catch ghosts?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yeah, you could say that.

Walter Peck: And how many ghosts have you caught, Mr. Venkman?

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm not at liberty to say.

Walter Peck: And where do you put these ghosts, once you catch them?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Into a storage facility.

Walter Peck: And would this storage facility be located on these premises?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes.

Walter Peck: And may I see this storage facility?

Dr. Peter Venkman: No.

Walter Peck: And why not, Mr. Venkman?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Because you did not use the magic word.

Walter Peck: What is the magic word, Mr. Venkman?

Dr. Peter Venkman: [looking surprised] Please!

Walter Peck: May I *please* see the storage facility, Mr. Venkman?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 10, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I thought the joke was a lot simpler. Ray was the guy with the money so if he said they take it Peter and Egon can't really say no.

You know what?

This is it, right here. I don't know why I didn't remember that, but yes, it's Ray's childhood home that allows them to afford the firehouse to begin with. If he likes it, that's it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If they didn't like the neighbourhood etc they would have never have viewed it. Peter and Egon are purposely setting up a negotiating position that Ray's enthusiasm undermines. Ray is enthusiatic about everything. Ray is a bad negotiator. 'Everybody can relax I found the car...'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw they hated each other's guts on sight and were immediately mocking and belittling each other. Venkman deliberately got ectoplasm all over Peck and Peck was being smarmy as hell, especially when he repeatedly refused to call him Doctor Venkman and kept calling him Mister Venkman over and over and over

Peter literally begins by spreading slime on the dude. He's an unlikable dick but Peter started the aggro there and his statement afterwards to the others makes it clear they were expecting a visit and Peter's behavior was intentional blowoff and would have happened to any EPA guy.

And again, the EPA is 100% in the right to ask to investigate the mysterious basement of the guys with nuclear lasers. Peter on the other hand is aware that what they are doing veers wildly between illegal and massively dangerous and is trying to push it off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Peck came into the meeting thinking that the whole Ghostbusters deal was a dodgy scam before he even started speaking with Peter but to be fair to him, Venkman is a dodgy scam artist and his degree is most likely bunk anyway. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Peck came into the meeting thinking that the whole Ghostbusters deal was a dodgy scam before he even started speaking with Peter but to be fair to him, Venkman is a dodgy scam artist and his degree is most likely bunk anyway. :v:

In the comic Peter admits he went into parapsychology because most people have no idea what it means so he could do what he wanted and nobody would know for sure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dawgstar posted:

In the comic Peter admits he went into parapsychology because most people have no idea what it means so he could do what he wanted and nobody would know for sure.

Ray also calls him out in the movie when they're in the jail cell and Venkman was struggling to keep up with the conversation. "You never studied. :rolleyes:"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Peter hosting World of the Psychic is so on-brand, especially with Dana's line from the first, "You don't act like a scientist... You're more like a game show host."

Close!

"Yeah, I know Bassmasters... sure."

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Peter hosting World of the Psychic

Speaking of... pretty nuts that the world ended twice already.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just got the Spengler Neutrino Wand and really happy with it, love the modes from the game being incorporated.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Just got the Spengler Neutrino Wand and really happy with it, love the modes from the game being incorporated.

The Spengler wand has such satisfying switches, I love it. I'm working on a new pack for the wand, but I'm waiting on a v-hook from etsy. As for the different modes: the new Hasbro Proton M.O.D. also has though sound modes. Wonder if they'll show up in the movie or if it's just cheaper to re-use the clips.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know trailers are just trailers, but I just saw the trailer for Afterlife and...they seem unaware that Ghostbusters is a comedy?

It's kind of accidental comedy, in that these kids are unwrapping Egon's hacked-together PKEmeter like it's the Lance of Longinus.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There will be comedy in the film. Jason Reitman pretty much just makes comedic dramas. They're leaning on the legacy stuff in the trailer because it's clearly a big part of the story and it's the director's son so it fits. The marketing is pitched away from the gags I suspect because they're probably spooked (pun intended) by the box office performance of the last film, which leant heavily on gags for its trailer. Though the unprecedented YouTube dislike of that trailer had a lot to do with chuds making multiple profiles to down vote it, moreso than just underwhelming jokes I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karloff posted:

There will be comedy in the film. Jason Reitman pretty much just makes comedic dramas. They're leaning on the legacy stuff in the trailer because it's clearly a big part of the story and it's the director's son so it fits. The marketing is pitched away from the gags I suspect because they're probably spooked (pun intended) by the box office performance of the last film, which leant heavily on gags for its trailer. Though the unprecedented YouTube dislike of that trailer had a lot to do with chuds making multiple profiles to down vote it, moreso than just underwhelming jokes I reckon.

If you watch the original GB trailer there's not a whole lot of obvious jokes there, either, especially of the "setup/punchline" variety. I mean, I'm sure people knew what they were getting into because of Stripes and Blues Brothers and SNL and all but it also leans heavily on 'there are ghosts here and it might be a little spooky.'