Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

They've got over 11 popes per square mile;

This tickled my fancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder how the Vatican fares in Olympic medal counts if, like a paranoid 19th century protestant, you count all the Catholic olympians as secretly competing for the Vatican.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Space Kablooey posted:

we should allow countries to hire olympic mercenaries imo

We should just host the Olympic War Games every 4 years: every country gets a certain number of soldiers, tanks, missiles, planes, trucks, self-propelled guns, and other weapons systems, and fights for two weeks to see who can control the most of Australia. Points are awarded on how many of the enemy you kill, how many explosions you do, how much of Australia you control, and how few civilians you accidentally murder. But it's always Australia. Every four years Australia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you could get the emu to sit on the podium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CodfishCartographer posted:

It is, in fact, an English phrase - it means to be carried off or stolen without notice. For example, a talented thief could spirit away some jewels. That being said, it's very rarely used nowadays, and I'd be shocked if there was significant enough searching for it to influence search results for the movie - the entire first page of google when searching "Spirited away" just shows info related to the film.

That just shows that Google is awful.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We should just host the Olympic War Games every 4 years: every country gets a certain number of soldiers, tanks, missiles, planes, trucks, self-propelled guns, and other weapons systems, and fights for two weeks to see who can control the most of Australia. Points are awarded on how many of the enemy you kill, how many explosions you do, how much of Australia you control, and how few civilians you accidentally murder. But it's always Australia. Every four years Australia.

I like this idea, but how would you motivate the soldiers? It's not like anyone would want to control Australia. And the Australians would have a huge disadvantage by knowing how much it sucks already.

No, we should do it somewhere else, maybe the middle east?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think you could get the emu to sit on the podium.

You don't get the emu to do anything. An emu does as it pleases

It doesn't matter though because the cassowary ensures there will be no survivors

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BonHair posted:

I like this idea, but how would you motivate the soldiers? It's not like anyone would want to control Australia. And the Australians would have a huge disadvantage by knowing how much it sucks already.

Tell them they can't leave the outback until there's a winner.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

Tell them they can't leave the outback until there's a winner.
Better, only the winner gets to leave

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

Actually we should have a winter and summer warlympics. The summer version would be in the death valley and the winter version would be in Antarctica

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

This feels like step 1 in turning the world into G Gundam. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Obviously the goal is to get Vatican City to compete in 2024. Granted it may be difficult for them to qualify given the average age of the citizenship but I'd imagine the swiss guard are pretty athletic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Athletics

quote:

Vatican Athletics was launched on 10 January 2019 with 60 initial accredited members which includes Swiss Guards, nuns, priests, museum workers, and maintenance workers as well as two migrant Muslim Africans as honorary members.

As a national team, Vatican Athletics are aiming to participate in the Games of the Small States of Europe.[2] They attempted to make a debut in the 2019 edition, but they, along with the Faroe Islands, were barred from participating due to an absence of a national Olympic committee.
Come on Franciscus, get this poo poo fixed! The International Olympic Committee needs your bribe money in these tough times.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm okay with the Catholic Church getting swindled by the IOC

EDIT:

jjack229 posted:

They would occur simultaneously then?

:hmmyes:

Space Kablooey has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Aug 4, 2021

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Space Kablooey posted:

Actually we should have a winter and summer warlympics. The summer version would be in the death valley and the winter version would be in Antarctica

They would occur simultaneously then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Valve's keeping Team Fortress 3 under serious wraps.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BonHair posted:

Wait what motivates people to compete in the regular non-war Olympics??

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The winners get to keep a piece of the land it was hosted on. That's why they always have to build new arenas instead of using pre-existing infrastructure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The medals have chocolate in. Bronze is Hersheys though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BonHair posted:

Sorry, that venue is booked for the foreseeable future.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Heavy stuff, but I can't help but feel this could have been displayed better. Could even be an appropriate time for pie charts.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

Heavy stuff, but I can't help but feel this could have been displayed better. Could even be an appropriate time for pie charts.

Most deaths occurred at the start of the pandemic when nothing was known about how to treat it, and obviously there was no vaccine. If it instead covered say the month of July then we'd be able to see how the vaccinated and non- compared more directly.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Most deaths occurred at the start of the pandemic when nothing was known about how to treat it, and obviously there was no vaccine. If it instead covered say the month of July then we'd be able to see how the vaccinated and non- compared more directly.

Reading their website that is data collected since May 1st, not since the start of the pandemic.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Not sure what point they’re trying to get across. If no one is vaccinated then all deaths are from non vaccinated people. Once everyone is vaccinated then all death will come from vaccinated people.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not sure what point they’re trying to get across. If no one is vaccinated then all deaths are from non vaccinated people. Once everyone is vaccinated then all death will come from vaccinated people.

People have a rough idea of what the vaccination rate is, and that it's nowhere near 2%. Especially easy right now with the rate near 50%. That comparison makes it a useful point, though yeah it's not the best way to do things.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The vaccination rate varies by state, obviously, and I’m not sure that many people know if Montana is overall more vaccinated than South Dakota or whatever, so it makes comparisons between states non trivial. More troublesome, as more and more people get vaccinated and the unvaccinated, at-risk demographic dies off, the time evolution of this graph is expected to show the proportion of death from vaccinated people to increase, giving the wrong impression that over time getting vaccinated is making you more and more likely to die, because the untrained average human has difficulties telling the probability of A knowing B and the probability of B knowing A apart.

It’s not just a bad chart because it’s showing redundant data in a way that makes it hard to visualize and compare, but also because it’s not showing anything useful. For instance, what conclusions would you draw from directly comparing the New Jersey and Arkansas lines, and how does that match up with your perception of the handling of the pandemic in those states ?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A better way would be to look at how many percent of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people die. But that would give you very low percentages and less striking bars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It would still be somewhat misleading because more old people are vaccinated but they're also more likely to die than younger people, all else being equal.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

BonHair posted:

A better way would be to look at how many percent of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people die. But that would give you very low percentages and less striking bars.
Like this

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1418952154342166539

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

It would still be somewhat misleading because more old people are vaccinated but they're also more likely to die than younger people, all else being equal.

You'd need to somehow indicate in the chart how age plays a role. Age is so central to the pandemic though-- young people die of covid only very rarely but if you're 80+ its quite deadly. Most data about Covid should include some sort of age differentiation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

John Burn‐Murdoch posted:

a fully-vaxxed 80-year-old now has the same risk of dying from Covid as an unvaxxxed 50-year-old

This may be objectively true, but it sounds awful.

Do not put that stat in the public briefing.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Better way to put it would be to say to say that the vaccine divides the likelihood you’ll die from covid by 20. But those arrows being the same length across all ages makes them look highly suspicious. Is that the graphical representation of real data or an infographic?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Better way to put it would be to say to say that the vaccine divides the likelihood you’ll die from covid by 20. But those arrows being the same length across all ages makes them look highly suspicious. Is that the graphical representation of real data or an infographic?

I mean that is how it would look on a log scale if there was a % reduction.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I think the weird thing is how that shows that the reduction is the same for all ages. I'm pretty sure that's just an infographic where they found a 'vaccine drops risk by 20 times' data source and applied it to the fatality rate in england

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If you consider how much I would weigh on the Moon, I'm not so fat anymore!

Your mom, on the other hand ...

Count Roland posted:

Ah but how much gold is in an Olympic medal?
A useful

https://www.newsweek.com/are-olympic-medals-solid-gold-tokyo-2020-silver-bronze-size-weight-metal-1614284

quote:

Despite having the appearance of the luxury yellow metal, these medals are actually mainly composed of silver. The required amount of silver in Olympic gold medals is at least 92.5 percent, the gold itself only making up the plating on the outside.

A representative from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) told Newsweek: "The medals for first and second places shall be of silver of at least 925-1000 grade; the medal for first place shall be gilded with at least 6g of pure gold."

The Tokyo gold medals have been valued at $820 due to the inflated prices of precious metals used like gold and silver, according to a CNBC calculation.

The silver medals meanwhile are made up of pure silver and the bronze medals are made from 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.

Size and Weight

The size and weight of Olympic medals do vary. the IOC told Newsweek that medals start from a minimum size of 70 millimeters (2.76 inches) up to a maximum 120 millimeters in diameter, and minimum 3 millimeters to a maximum 10 millimeters thick. Medals should weigh in at between 500 and 800 grams (17.64 to 28.22 ounces), with the coveted gold medals weighing about 556 grams in total. The Olympic silver medals weigh 550 grams and bronze medals weigh 450 grams.

This year's medals are around five percent lighter than those minted by PyeongChang for the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.

All medals have the name of the event engraved in English on the side of each.

The U.S. holds the world record for the most gold medals won at an Olympic Games by a single country, winning 83 golds at the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

quote:

The silver medals meanwhile are made up of pure silver and the bronze medals are made from 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.

So the gold is made of silver and the bronze is made of brass?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tenebrais posted:

So the gold is made of silver and the bronze is made of brass?
You think the International Olympic Committee is made of *checks notes* tin? Where are they going to find another *does some math* $600 dollars?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd blame them for being retroclassical about calling it bronze and hoping noone noticed but its not like the greeks were handing out medals. Now I want the media to take a stand and start including brass medals in their tallies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don' even want to know what substitute they are using to save money on the chocolate medals...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

I'd blame them for being retroclassical about calling it bronze and hoping noone noticed but its not like the greeks were handing out medals. Now I want the media to take a stand and start including brass medals in their tallies.

The Olympics are a weird sort of "rich guy gets a $10 haircut" thing; apparently the cost to actually make all the gold medals out of pure gold would be a couple million dollars, which is a lot of money but given what is already spent on the Olympics, would barely make a dent in the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Olympics are a weird sort of "rich guy gets a $10 haircut" thing; apparently the cost to actually make all the gold medals out of pure gold would be a couple million dollars, which is a lot of money but given what is already spent on the Olympics, would barely make a dent in the budget.

But it would be a couple million less to go to the IOC's buddies' pockets and get spread around from there, so