Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

What’s the consensus here about the borders being opened tomorrow to “fully vaccinated Americans”?

I think it’s literally the worst thing we could be doing right now considering we can’t even get our own population under control, or figure out our own quarantining rules. I also hate how we were told to open up by the US and they haven’t bothered to reciprocate in kind. What is the loving point of it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

We're a client state OP. The USA says jump and we say how high.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ChickenDoodle posted:

What’s the consensus here about the borders being opened tomorrow to “fully vaccinated Americans”?

I think it’s literally the worst thing we could be doing right now considering we can’t even get our own population under control, or figure out our own quarantining rules. I also hate how we were told to open up by the US and they haven’t bothered to reciprocate in kind. What is the loving point of it all?

Tourism dollars OP. We need America’s a lot more than they need ours.

Also there’s no quarantine in the US. Tons of Canadians are already flying there, it’s basically only closed for land border tourists. Not really worth it to them to piss Mexico off

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not only is there no quarantine in the US but there's no testing on arrival either. At least everybody gets a test (at Pearson anyway) before going to customs.

Also Canada requires a PCR test whereas the US allows antigen tests, and inexplicably, Switch Health (the company doing the arrival tests at Pearson) offers antigen tests for outgoing travellers with your choice of nasopharyngeal swab (the long one that goes in the back of your nose) or the less accurate shallow nasal swab.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 8, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1424417329279029252?s=20

people refusing to protect themselves due to arrogance and stupidity will damage everyone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I almost want to break out my Kirkletthemdie.mov for these fuckets if I wasn't so concerned they'll take me down with them. I'm fully vaxxed but I'm remaining cautious as gently caress. The only change I've made since stage 3 is going back to the gym, which was never a big driver of cases to begin with, and only in the mornings when it was empty.

I dont want to catch a mutant variant because the unvaxxed have been swilling their own poison cocktails.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Not only is there no quarantine in the US but there's no testing on arrival either. At least everybody gets a test (at Pearson anyway) before going to customs.

Also Canada requires a PCR test whereas the US allows antigen tests, and inexplicably, Switch Health (the company doing the arrival tests at Pearson) offers antigen tests for outgoing travellers with your choice of nasopharyngeal swab (the long one that goes in the back of your nose) or the less accurate shallow nasal swab.

"inexplicably?" it gets them more money and increases customer satisfaction, gently caress accuracy we don't care about it actually being right!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

As someone who is finally able to see my family for the first time in 18 months thanks to this, I am OK with it. To get into Canada, you have to prove you've been vaccinated and tested negative within the last 3 days. It's hard for me to imagine a higher bar than that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

"inexplicably?" it gets them more money and increases customer satisfaction, gently caress accuracy we don't care about it actually being right!

They charge the same amount for the antigen test ($75) regardless of which swab you use and I doubt the swabs cost more than pennies each.

To be fair, the nasopharyngeal swabbing they did there was more unpleasant than I had for a PCR test because they swabbed for over 10 seconds in one nostril instead of doing both for 5-6 seconds each.

Muscle Tracer posted:

As someone who is finally able to see my family for the first time in 18 months thanks to this, I am OK with it. To get into Canada, you have to prove you've been vaccinated and tested negative within the last 3 days. It's hard for me to imagine a higher bar than that.

No, you can also provide proof of a positive test in the last 14-90 days as long as you're currently asymptomatic. Fortunately, it seems like fully vaccinated people are unlikely to still be infectious 2 weeks after first symptoms appear, even with delta.

I'm not clear on what the requirements are for unvaccinated Canadians returning after recovering from COVID...

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 8, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

They charge the same amount for the antigen test ($75) regardless of which swab you use and I doubt the swabs cost more than pennies each.

To be fair, the nasopharyngeal swabbing they did there was more unpleasant than I had for a PCR test because they swabbed for over 10 seconds in one nostril instead of doing both for 5-6 seconds each.

No, you can also provide proof of a positive test in the last 14-90 days as long as you're currently asymptomatic. Fortunately, it seems like fully vaccinated people are unlikely to still be infectious 2 weeks after first symptoms appear, even with delta.

I'm not clear on what the requirements are for unvaccinated Canadians returning after recovering from COVID...

Right, but if the word gets out they'll do an "easy" swab then more people will opt for that than something more rigorous.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Seems ok to me so long as provinces can continue to require isolation and offer testing. Having recently visited Calgary and Halifax airports, the difference was stark for a domestic flight: Calgary had absolutely nothing, while Halifax didn't let you leave the arrivals area until you showed your twice-vaccinated slip (or had a talk with someone from public health, who took your contact info). If Alberta wants to give no fucks then fine, as long as Nova Scotia can give its fucks.

Also truly impressive how Alberta isn't even trying at the government level. Halifax is a small airport, sure, but their whole setup was like four people, some tables, some signs, and some fencing. It's not that hard! And it scales very easily!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

MA-Horus posted:

people refusing to protect themselves due to arrogance and stupidity will damage everyone else.

I'd really like to see the breakdown of how much of that under 20 bar are children who don't have a vaccine yet, and what proportion of the over 20 are immunocompromised. Watching the children's hospitals in Florida being crammed to overflowing is filling me with rage at the rest though.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

ChickenDoodle posted:

It's extremely dumb and unvaxxed kids under 12 are also able to enter providing their parents are vaxxed which also seems bad. The US not reciprocating is probably a good thing since it'll prevent morons here from going to the US for a few days to go shopping or some other dumb poo poo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ChickenDoodle posted:

...tomorrow? A friend of a friend from Ohio drove here (Ontario) last week for a funeral and just drove back yesterday.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bleck posted:

...tomorrow? A friend of a friend from Ohio drove here (Ontario) last week for a funeral and just drove back yesterday.

Assuming they’re not a citizen, there are exemptions for compassionate entry. You can also be exempt from quarantine as a Canadian if you left the country to attend a funeral.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Do they... check, that a funeral is actually happening, somewhere?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

Maybe they ask for a copy of the death certificate?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Bleck posted:

A traveller would need pre-approval from PHAC in order to enter for compassionate reasons, so presumably there is proof that is required as part of the application process.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bleck posted:

You have to apply for the exemption in advance and provide proof of death. I know someone who just went through it and it sounded pretty intense, they also needed a signed form from the funeral home and apparently the site constantly reminds you that you could be fined 500k or whatever for lying.

Of course it’s possible that your friend of a friend just lied to the border guards and broke quarantine rules. This stuff is kind of like taxes, the government doesn’t have the resources to verify everyone is telling the truth so they set a disproportionately high punishment in order to discourage fraud.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The other punishment is living with the knowledge that you are a garbage human being for the rest of your life if you lie about something like that. I'm not perfect, but I think if I lied about going to a funeral to exempt myself from public health regulations, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. No one needs to be perfect, but, holy gently caress, we all have some kind of limits.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oh yeah, just to be clear, the person I'm talking about really was here for a funeral. Just... I feel like hearing "they're opening the border tomorrow" is the first I've even heard of it being closed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

The other punishment is living with the knowledge that you are a garbage human being for the rest of your life if you lie about something like that. I'm not perfect, but I think if I lied about going to a funeral to exempt myself from public health regulations, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. No one needs to be perfect, but, holy gently caress, we all have some kind of limits.

if we have learned nothing from this, it is that a LOT more people are even more FYGM without shame than we ever, ever thought before

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The US still isn't recognizing mixed vaccines as "Fully vaxxed", right?

Also, what's the over/under on what time CST that the election will be announced? 11 am? I need some joy in the miserable week ahead (hooray for doing mask enforcement when the province has said its up the businesses to decide that...).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I honestly don't think the writ drop is today

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I was promised an election today dammit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, poo poo just keeps rising to the top.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/no-water-no-snowmaking-manitoba-ski-hill-cancels-upcoming-season-1.5539975

quote:

Holiday Mountain, located in La Rivière, announced on its Facebook page on Monday it will be suspending operations for the 2021-22 season.

“The unprecedented drought conditions have significantly impacted the resort’s snowmaking water source,” the post reads. “Without the ability to make snow, the Resort cannot open.”

Holiday Mountain has been making snow since 1960, and it is an integral part of its operation. Later said the resort has a permit for 17 million gallons, and said there would be an enormous environmental impact if they drained that amount from the river.

“If we can’t make snow in a responsible manner, then we shouldn’t be opening,” she said.

Later said she has never seen water levels in the Pembina River this low before

"Last night, we watched a deer walk across it, which I’ve certainly never seen in my lifetime,” she said. “It’s a massive drought.”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The main arena here in Victoria has a huge banner advertising "MASKS NO LONGER MANDATORY" like its an exciting selling point.

god we're so hosed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bunnyofdoom posted:

I honestly don't think the writ drop is today

I'll give it until 6pm before I give up. It's still a noticeably quiet news day with all the focus being on climate doom, the border opening and William Amos not seeking reelection. I wonder if he is starting a new onlyfans career.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1424800173776154630

Translation: please don't call an election where my party will lose badly.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 9, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
C'mon guys, play fair!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

call the election gently caress that guy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I think I've found the problem with BC. You're only NOW lowering the interval for second doses down from 49 days to 28?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1424800173776154630

Translation: please don't call an election where my party will lose badly.

Open er up! No more masks! COVID is over! It's about time things get back to normal!
But please don't call an election, we have an incoming fourth wave. :ohdear:

It's ridiculous how utterly shamelessly hypocritical these pieces of poo poo are.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Dude, they're politicians, this is the entire reason they exist.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll give it until 6pm before I give up. It's still a noticeably quiet news day with all the focus being on climate doom, the border opening and William Amos not seeking reelection. I wonder if he is starting a new onlyfans career.

Told ya

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well, good thing I didn't toxx for it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MA-Horus posted:

Not that I don't think new cases are overwhelmingly coming from the unvaxxed but this guy just took the numbers from July 10-24 and extrapolated them for today. We have a lot more fully vaccinated people now so likely more of the cases are from fully vaccinated people. The province is supposed to start reporting vax status in their daily report but so far it's not happening.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Oh, ok then sounds good

https://twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/1424889288152555521?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know I think I've found the problem with BC. You're only NOW lowering the interval for second doses down from 49 days to 28?

Well, we spent all that public trust telling people that it was actually better to space them out when we could have told them it was temporary due to supply constraints and probably just as good. Do you want that to go to waste?