Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pixaal posted:

When did this happen?
you were there!!! We were on top of you!

They are specifically talking about the Mind Infractor. Where the Moppets need to do a room check and they Garry makes out with her while Monarch is out like a light.

It's not that he was out - he was literally inside Rusty's head at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not that he was out - he was literally inside Rusty's head at the moment.

True, but I mean he had no idea they were making out with the twins watching complete with ball gag. You can treat it like he is in a coma in that scene.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

pablo gbscobar posted:

S2 Monarch was definitely riding the white tiger, he was unhinged as hell for that entire season

Know what is terrifying?

21 and 24 had to deal with that while pain stakingly recreating a soft ink tattoo from Red Dragon on his bare back.

What a job.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

hughesta posted:

"It was all sound and fury signifying nothing" comes into my head every time I fail to push a mess

Eww gross

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

hughesta posted:

"It was all sound and fury signifying nothing" comes into my head every time I fail to push a mess

:same:

Also, on that note, I needed a new shower curtain for my bathroom and my apartment is all 70s colors and patterns and MCM furniture. So because I'm a huge dork, naturally I looked to Venture Bros for inspiration...

...and used the wallpaper pattern from the compound bathroom and turned it into a shower curtain. If anyone wants to get it, it's available to purchase here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drrockso20 posted:

Which is kind of weird cause recurring St Cloud sounds and acts almost nothing like the Tag Sale version of St Cloud

Wasn't it also implied that St. Cloud was the "CHEATER, HE'S A CHEATER" kid from the Quizboys show?

If so, he's had three total incarnations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wasn't it also implied that St. Cloud was the "CHEATER, HE'S A CHEATER" kid from the Quizboys show?

If so, he's had three total incarnations.

If you mean he's the kid who said that, then yeah, I think that's what they've... well, looking at the art, I am tempted to say it was a ret-con. But that's the impression I got.

Edit:

What if the Faith No More song "Motherfucker" were actually just some incidental music, or the opening theme song, to an episode of The Venture Bros.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWlvguYgTuw

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 4, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

What if the Faith No More song "Motherfucker" were actually just some incidental music, or the opening theme song, to an episode of The Venture Bros.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWlvguYgTuw

Can't wait for the Shallow Gravy cover

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
for what i assume is the small number of Venture fans who don't know, you should go check out Thirwell's Steroid Maximus project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoN0jAk5aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPd7ly9pNoI

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

tarlibone posted:

If you mean he's the kid who said that, then yeah, I think that's what they've... well, looking at the art, I am tempted to say it was a ret-con. But that's the impression I got.

yeah, that kid's clearly not st cloud, and moreover white calls him todd. but it's easy enough to buy that st cloud was on an earlier episode before billy got caught. or he's the third kid, but it doesn't look like it

e: lol I brought up the episode to check, and immediately after that scene is the OSI musical number. I had either forgotten or never noticed that that montage ends with what sure looks like a reference to lynndie england, the abu ghraib guard and war criminal - a woman in OSI gear and a tanktop smoking a cigarette standing on top of naked sphinx prisoners

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 5, 2021

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yep. And the guy executing the viet cong prisoner.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, that kid's clearly not st cloud, and moreover white calls him todd. but it's easy enough to buy that st cloud was on an earlier episode before billy got caught. or he's the third kid, but it doesn't look like it
St. Cloud is just A Quizboy, whatever that actually means. Whether he was on that show or other shows like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Adult Swim is doing a Venture Brothers marathon tonight

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Adult Swim is doing a Venture Brothers marathon tonight

Im choosing to read all the way into this decision

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't get too excited, [as] has been doing marathons on Friday nights for a while.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

picking through the series for the millionth time and one candidate for best line delivery is in the s2 premiere. makes me laugh every time

"Yes, pilgrim! I, in life, was a personal guard to the great Caesar -"
"Nuh uh, liar! You choked on a popsicle stick at a Halloween party!"
"Oh, tell everyone, why don't you..."
"Everybody knows. Why you think you're in hell? 'Cause you're a fuckin' liar!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the hot stem of a crack pipe!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After 15 years of badgering, my friend who loves oldschool pulp adventure has finally caved and started watching Venture Bros. I am pleased to report that he enjoys it.

I have also caveated that the show evolves quite a lot, and he has taken note.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Today, I appropriately mentioned the Valsalva maneuver in conversation.

I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

After 15 years of badgering, my friend who loves oldschool pulp adventure has finally caved and started watching Venture Bros. I am pleased to report that he enjoys it.

I have also caveated that the show evolves quite a lot, and he has taken note.

This has been my wife and I over the past summer. Thankfully the jump to HD is a game-changer.

It's been jarring to go back and watch those first 2 seasons after a long time. I ended up skipping Dia de Los Dangerous and The Incredible Mr. Brisby until later on, and we started with Ghosts of the Sargasso just to get things started on the right foot. In retrospect I think I'd still just skip those again if I was going solo. Additional Monarch characterization and the introduction of Molotov aren't really that impactful later on.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Pershing posted:

Today, I appropriately mentioned the Valsalva maneuver in conversation.

I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

That has a name??

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
shout out to team tachycardia!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just turned on the AS app marathon and forgot that The Doctor is Sin ends with the General saying "and you can read more about it in the Bible!"

Every Killenger episode is great

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So I just finished rewatching all 7 seasons on HBOmax, has anyone else watched it and the sound mixing is bad? Feels like all the music is much louder than the dialog.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't realize that they finally made it to HBO Max.

Sound seems fine to me from some sampling, but I think you missed something really important.

The early seasons were either rescanned or shoved though A REALLY good upscaling engine because they are leaps and bounds better looking than the DVDs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

4:30 in the morning and i'm comparing the establishing shots of one impossible industries (where dean would later intern in season 4) to the shots of the ventech building from seasons 6 and 7. they say in 20 minutes to midnight that it's the same building but it looks completely different! are we to believe that this is some sort of magic skyscraper that changes form based on who owns it? I hope someone was fired for this blunder... oh wait i guess they were, poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s built on the same spot. The building burned down at the end of dean’s internship.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I’ve also assumed that was how Pr.o.b.l.e.m. was able to tap into all of the buildings systems. I’m not sure if JJ knew what it was and hooked it up the building on purpose or just what. I would think if he knew it wouldn’t be in the lobby.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
P.R.O.B.L.E.M. just had to spearphish Sgt. Hatred using an email purportedly from Princess Tinyfeet, which gave P.R.O.B.L.E.M. access to his corporate phone (and password manager, and MFA one-time authorization app). Then because J.J. cheaped out and didn't buy enough firewalls to do adequate network segmentation between building IOT systems and the corporate enterprise network, the threat actor was able to move laterally via devices like desk phones and printers to compromise the building lighting and HVAC system.

At least, that's how it normally works in the real world.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
"Using electronic mail and a bit of good ol' subterfuge, I tricked your pedophile into giving me access to the mainframe..."
"Spearphishing. It's called spearphishing, dad"
"FUN!"

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I suppose it’s odd that JJ went through the effort of excavating PROBLEM from another continent, transported it all the way to his fancy HQ’s lobby but never bothered to crack it open and look inside. Or did JJ know what was inside?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s built on the same spot. The building burned down at the end of dean’s internship.

I guess that's the actual explanation, I just never got the impression that that little fire would have destroyed the entire building.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mantis42 posted:

I guess that's the actual explanation, I just never got the impression that that little fire would have destroyed the entire building.

It's why the revenge society had to move into the old Fitzcarraldo place. Cody sets the whole place ablaze while he's running around.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mantis42 posted:

It’s not the first time it burnt down either. Probably not the last

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Piper posted:

I suppose it’s odd that JJ went through the effort of excavating PROBLEM from another continent, transported it all the way to his fancy HQ’s lobby but never bothered to crack it open and look inside. Or did JJ know what was inside?

JJ may have had the most common sense of all the super-scientists, but he's still a super-scientist, and one that wasn't really being kept in the loop by the OSI or old Team Venture.

Also seems clear that JJ had the building rebuilt to his liking after purchasing it- iirc, the whole design seems a compromise between the classic jet age style of the Venture compound and the modern business style. (Who knows whether the OSI secret floor existed before then, but knowing them, probably. I imagine they've been keeping Professor Impossible as useless in the large scale as a Reed Richards riff is meant to be)

Actually, considering the nature of the job, your lair/lab/home getting burned down and rebuilt in the latest style (or purchased and rebuilt by someone who can still afford it) is probably a pretty regular occurrence. Hell, we see it multiple times with the Monarch, and it's literally Guild policy that if you successfully invade and conquer a base, it's all yours. (see also Spider-Skull Island, and Phantom Limb's mansion)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think Impossible plaza and the Venture building are supposed to be in the same location since the Venture building is clearly on Columbus Circle and Impossible plaza looks like midtown or at least is on a straight street. They don't really get New York geography wrong.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VenTech Tower, One Impossible Plaza, Venture Industries World Headquarters, and Venture Millinery & Automata are all on the same property.

That's why the ghosts from the Great Venture Millinery Fire of 1907 haunt VenTech Tower. All the same building.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
*pushes up glasses* In 20 years to Midnight, One Impossible Plaza is on 5th Ave (says so on the subway station they drop into near the end). So either it's a different building (Columbus Circle is 8th Ave) or they moved it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

*pushes up glasses* In 20 years to Midnight, One Impossible Plaza is on 5th Ave (says so on the subway station they drop into near the end). So either it's a different building (Columbus Circle is 8th Ave) or they moved it.

They moved it. Canonically, they're all in the same spot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

THAT'S MY DAISY!