Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Normalize elastomeric respirators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

PerniciousKnid posted:

I would think the hospitals by themselves would've been enough to record the early surge before testing capacity could be exhausted. And I can't imagine people in Joplin were always doing enough self-care to drop R from 10 to 1.5.

looks like statewide missouri is at about 16% positivity up from about a 5% baseline positivity earlier in the summer, they are missing a lot of cases

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

inferis posted:

wearing my regular glasses instead of goggles with a half mask is how i’m “not gonna let covid get in the way of living my life”

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

did ya read the post three posts above yours

(it’ll work fine just make sure your seal is good because the lower rated masks tend to be cheaper/disposable)

just saw it yeah

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

osprey posted:

sure np. good luck with your stuff

sweet, thanks

been splitting some stuff into new sheets. dumping a bunch of mask/respirator info on one of them, to help the new boots in respirator crew

My god, just what's on there now is a whole timeline of :stonk: and :crackping:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Spoondick posted:

looks like statewide missouri is at about 16% positivity up from about a 5% baseline positivity earlier in the summer, they are missing a lot of cases

derived data from originally-garbage data is even more garbage. positivity rate was a desperation statistic proferred when the CDC and other government people realized they had to develop SOME way to get a perspective on the situation.

there’s a reason why the speculation about Rt values exists in ranges (that are very broad for a generational phenomenon like reproduction rates), because the basic epidemiological concepts assume perfect spheres. our surveillance systems generate miserable dented icosahedral nightmare shapes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Google Butt posted:

Normalize elastomeric respirators

It's kinda crazy when I think about it, I've been wearing mine since October. IT was really easy to adapt to it too, took about a week for my neck to be cool with it, but ducking outside for the 10 minute smoke break you're allotted federally to just get a respirator break helped a lot.

The big mistake I made initially was I didn't buy filters that were water resistant, so I had to pay really close attention to the rain. Make sure to buy filters that are designed for decontamination showers so that you don't have to sweat the walk from your car to the front door and vise versa.

Another tip I have is to take a strong permanent marker and write the month on your filters when you install them, and when you change them out write a big X on them so you know they're spent.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bullfrog posted:

putting in your lot with the "optimists" after what we've just seen in the last few months? people keep falling for it

https://twitter.com/MenshevikM/status/1424483071714381824
what a difference a month makes, eh?

:shepface:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
School starts August 18th here, open the blood gates!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it makes me fuckin chuckle that people freak out about wearing an elastomeric for hours on end. Bitch people been doing that 40 hours a week professionally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Google Butt posted:

it makes me fuckin chuckle that people freak out about wearing an elastomeric for hours on end. Bitch people been doing that 40 hours a week professionally

Butt mah free dumbs!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any beard friendly masks?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Another tip I have is to take a strong permanent marker and write the month on your filters when you install them, and when you change them out write a big X on them so you know they're spent.

I put X’s on dead lightbulbs so I can collect them and take them to proper recycling, but is there a reason why you don’t just trash old P100s

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my old school district in Memphis area changed from masks recommended to mandatory, this is a wealthy area of town so for them to change their decision is surprising, they cite the county’s recommendation on mandates and Memphis city schools are mandated

my current school system in Michigan for my kid is still optional because the state is just “recommending “ I loving hope they change course on this. school starts aug 27.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Elderbean posted:

shave for your own survival

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us/product/W0OO7065SI

remember to accessorize tactically

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Elderbean posted:

you will need some kind of full hood and possibly also a papr setup unless you want to wrap your beard up like this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

School starts August 18th here, open the blood gates!

Open the Bud gates!

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

sonatinas posted:

my old school district in Memphis area changed from masks recommended to mandatory, this is a wealthy area of town so for them to change their decision is surprising, they cite the county’s recommendation on mandates and Memphis city schools are mandated

my current school system in Michigan for my kid is still optional because the state is just “recommending “ I loving hope they change course on this. school starts aug 27.

90+% of the rich kids in Memphis go to private school.

They don't have to follow any sorta mandate (*and its a selling point at some)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Not really. I had to shave mine off. If you've ever wanted to try out a funny mustache now's the time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wow that was pretty fun, checked the covid numbers and saw we are rising faster than the winter initial surge after I've only just gone back to in person, got an email saying the client I'm working with for part of the event wants more bells and whistles, then a conversation to remind me that actually I'm not short staffed because that day I have no staff actually to run an entire event, all within 5 minutes of each other, and had what I think might have been the first panic attack I've ever had in my life. Gotta say, not a fan

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

We recently watched The Bite, a miniseries from Robert and Michelle King of The Good Wife/Fight
The plot is a new covid strain that turns people into zombies. Their portrayal of the CDC is scary good, who are focused more on how to brand this new strain of covid than fixing anything. Highly recommend for any goon who can watch things on Spectrum TV or :filez:

Seconded. The portrayal of the working class and the CDC was both great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AppleNippleBOB posted:

private schools are basically a future alt-right authoritarian or liberal Karen talent piplelane.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Wow that was pretty fun, checked the covid numbers and saw we are rising faster than the winter initial surge after I've only just gone back to in person, got an email saying the client I'm working with for part of the event wants more bells and whistles, then a conversation to remind me that actually I'm not short staffed because that day I have no staff actually to run an entire event, all within 5 minutes of each other, and had what I think might have been the first panic attack I've ever had in my life. Gotta say, not a fan

sounds like someone needs therapy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steve Yun posted:

I put X’s on dead lightbulbs so I can collect them and take them to proper recycling, but is there a reason why you don’t just trash old P100s

Just in case I do dumbass things like get distracted and mix things up like a moran

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smirks Colbert-ly:

Those republicans living in their reality avoidance bubble unlike our good guys!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bullfrog posted:

shave for your own survival

Yeah, I've been shaving every other day for a while now. It sucks doing it 3 times a week, especially at 5 in the morning on a Monday, but it's a safety thing, and I look forward to the day I can just say "gently caress it" in the morning and not sweat stubble.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Elderbean posted:

dont exist, somebody like 2 days ago posted about sikhs, etc having to smoosh their beards with a plastic covering to establish a smooth seal lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
folks... 506 deaths on the 8th write it down. lets see how high it is next sunday.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Homeless Friend posted:

folks... 506 deaths on the 8th write it down. lets see how high it is next sunday.

how many states don’t report on weekends? holy piss

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

AppleNippleBOB posted:

was referring the the Germantown school district since I’m sure people here don’t know about the surrounding areas

but yeah if you are affluent and living in the city then you are at lausanne , mus, etc.

my kid is in a district like Memphis city schools and I’m just hoping they go to mandates, all the white and affluent families here send their kids to Christian privates(masks optional of course)

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1424481603842084866

100k by next monday?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Just found out a cousin of mine is in a coma, on a vent and dialysis from a second covid infection. Not vaccinated. Not a close cousin, like a "see you once a year at Christmas" cousin, but obviously would not wish it on anyone.

Considering there must be hundreds of pages itt about whether reinfections are a thing or not, the vaccine breakthrough discussions really wound up curtailing talks of how it is now evident that the massive amount of people that believe themselves safe due to a prior infection can:
a) get reinfected
b) get it much worse the second time

It seems both are more likely with Delta.

Either way, sorry for your cousin. That sucks :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If you're still using a cartridge style razor, it behooves you to drop the coin on a wet shaving kit. Sure it's expensive up front to buy the razor and necessities, but I spent $25 on 100 blades a few years back, before I went beardo, and by my current count I still have enough blades to make it through the next 19 months.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
because of state weekly fuckery I like to stick to 7 day averages

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

I never knew size large was actual a korean adult large and medium is a korean adult medium. Does anyone wear the medium?

The medium size felt small and i couldn't open my mouth the slightest bit without it sliding down so I ordered the large ones. I don't have a large face by american standards, but i guess i might in korean sizing?

i am american and i have a large head

medium feels too small for my large, american head

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I dont think there are that many staffed ICU beds in the whole country right now

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're still using a cartridge style razor, it behooves you to drop the coin on a wet shaving kit. Sure it's expensive up front to buy the razor and necessities, but I spent $25 on 100 blades a few years back, before I went beardo, and by my current count I still have enough blades to make it through the next 19 months.

double edged safety razors are far far superior to teh cart styled razors. provide a better shave for pennies/shave (once you buy the $50 of razor/razors/cream/brush).

and they're classy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AppleNippleBOB posted:

double edged safety razors are far far superior to teh cart styled razors. provide a better shave for pennies/shave (once you buy the $50 of razor/razors/cream/brush).

and they're classy

I really don't miss the days when I was a broke rear end server trying to squeeze as many shaves as I could out of a MACH 5, because I couldn't afford the $25 for a new set of carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Good Citizen posted:

I dont think there are that many staffed ICU beds in the whole country right now

Are there good numbers on this? any info I see is broken down into a lot of different categories