Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Unknown Soldier as well, which was 60s-80s but had a gritty Garth Ennis relaunch in the late 90s and probably had come back again more recently.
I don't think it's the one that the OP is looking for (though it's possible as mental programming was a theme in the series), but there was a 25-issue Unknown Soldier series starting in 2008 that's worth checking out either way IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Peyote Panda posted:

I don't think it's the one that the OP is looking for (though it's possible as mental programming was a theme in the series), but there was a 25-issue Unknown Soldier series starting in 2008 that's worth checking out either way IMO.

Seconding this but it is one hell of a depressing ride.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
huh i actually have the first trade of that 08 unknown soldier that i came across in a used bookstore long ago, never occured to me to see if it went past that first arc

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think there is at least 3 or possibly 4 trades. Been ages since I read them and I donated my copies to a library years ago. I remember enjoying them although enjoying might be the wrong word.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My memory of the 2008 Unknown Soldier is that it ends fairly abruptly, like it got canceled and got a "wrap it up" issue where another 10+ issues of story get over-compressed so Poochie can return to his home planet.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Madkal posted:

I think there is at least 3 or possibly 4 trades. Been ages since I read them and I donated my copies to a library years ago. I remember enjoying them although enjoying might be the wrong word.
Yeah, it was well-written but did have some real nut punch moments.

Zachack posted:

My memory of the 2008 Unknown Soldier is that it ends fairly abruptly, like it got canceled and got a "wrap it up" issue where another 10+ issues of story get over-compressed so Poochie can return to his home planet.
That's correct. It got cancelled but the author was at least given enough warning to speed-run to the conclusion in the final issue.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

This is a long shot, particularly because I never actually even read the comic, but if someone could help me rustle up some panels, I'd be really grateful.

The generic outline of the scene I'm looking for is that some mutilated guy (in a trenchcoat and bandages?) is watching TVs through a store window, and the person responsible for mutilating him turns up on TV, and the mutilated guy gets angry and smashes the windows. Broad to the point of useless, right? The part that stuck with me is the character's internal monologue: Something about how the nerve and brain damage he's taken should make anger physiologically impossible, so the rage that he's feeling must be (paraphrasing crazy hard) "a gift raining down from God". Something to that effect. The scene made an impact on me, even if I've lost some of the specifics over the years.

I know it sounds like it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't Darkman. For some reason I actually think it might be a manga. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

it's not Milo from 100 Bullets, is it?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

poo poo, I forgot to mention--I believe that the comic was in black and white? I'm sorry I'm having a hard time narrowing this down, it's been a really long time.

Karma Tornado posted:

it's not Milo from 100 Bullets, is it?

I don't think so, but I'll do more Google deep-diving.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, everybody, I'm gonna check out all of the above. Truly appreciate the help. That scene really resonated with me, so I'm gonna keep plugging away til I track it down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

This is a long shot, particularly because I never actually even read the comic, but if someone could help me rustle up some panels, I'd be really grateful.

The generic outline of the scene I'm looking for is that some mutilated guy (in a trenchcoat and bandages?) is watching TVs through a store window, and the person responsible for mutilating him turns up on TV, and the mutilated guy gets angry and smashes the windows. Broad to the point of useless, right? The part that stuck with me is the character's internal monologue: Something about how the nerve and brain damage he's taken should make anger physiologically impossible, so the rage that he's feeling must be (paraphrasing crazy hard) "a gift raining down from God". Something to that effect. The scene made an impact on me, even if I've lost some of the specifics over the years.

I know it sounds like it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't Darkman. For some reason I actually think it might be a manga. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

Could be Death Wish which ran in a few English comic anthologies.

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2019/07/preview-death-wish-volume-1.html?m=1

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m currently reading through the Claremont x-men comics and I recently came upon this panel:

This is more of a question about 70s fashion, but is Kitty Pryde wearing a shirt that says “bitch” spelled out in rhinestones?

I know she’s famous for finding excuses to use the n word, but a shirt like that seems kind of daring for the 70s, especially from two old guys don’t have much of a handle on youth culture. Is this something that people in 1979 would recognize? The rest of the outfit seems fairly high disco-era.

EDIT: It’s from the end of Uncanny X-Men 138, the Jean Grey funeral issue.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m currently reading through the Claremont x-men comics and I recently came upon this panel:

This is more of a question about 70s fashion, but is Kitty Pryde wearing a shirt that says “bitch” spelled out in rhinestones?

I know she’s famous for finding excuses to use the n word, but a shirt like that seems kind of daring for the 70s, especially from two old guys don’t have much of a handle on youth culture. Is this something that people in 1979 would recognize? The rest of the outfit seems fairly high disco-era.

EDIT: It’s from the end of Uncanny X-Men 138, the Jean Grey funeral issue.

Chris Claremont and John Byrne were both 29 in 1979, not really "old guys" but I guess, sure, older than Kitty Pryde.

Anyway John Byrne has stated that yeah, it's a rhinestone shirt that says "Bitch" on it, something he saw walking around NYC a few months prior to penciling this issue, although he says the explanation he had ready for the CCA was that it was an Illinois Theater Company t-shirt from Kitty's hometown.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks! That’s about ten years younger than I’d imagined they were.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
B-b-b-b-bonus photos of Byrne and Claremont in 1979!

1) The John Byrne photo is from a 1979 Big Apple Con, possibly the very trip in which he saw the BITCH shirt.
2) Are we absolutely certain Terry Long isn't a Chris Claremont self-insert?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm rereading Generation X and I'm a little curious about what the original plotline with Penance and Emplate was supposed to be. I've found bits and pieces of info about Monet as the gestalt form of the twins, including a fairly concise summary of the whole situation by Bachalo, but pretty much nothing about Penance and Emplate aside from stuff about Penance being a Yugoslavian mutant named Yvette. Early on neither Emplate nor Penance seem to recognize M, which I suppose could be handwaved as deception on Emplate's part and confusion on Penance's, but the impression I get is that any sibling relationship between the three (four?) characters was sutured on later.

Edit: Never mind!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 3, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm rereading Generation X and I'm a little curious about what the original plotline with Penance and Emplate was supposed to be. I've found bits and pieces of info about Monet as the gestalt form of the twins, including a fairly concise summary of the whole situation by Bachalo, but pretty much nothing about Penance and Emplate aside from stuff about Penance being a Yugoslavian mutant named Yvette. Early on neither Emplate nor Penance seem to recognize M, which I suppose could be handwaved as deception on Emplate's part and confusion on Penance's, but the impression I get is that any sibling relationship between the three (four?) characters was sutured on later.

Edit: Never mind!

Someone here actually did a really deep dive into Monet and Penence and all that some time ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What part did Gateway have in killing the Hellions? I thought that was Fitzroy and his crew in the Upstarts.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any books similar to Marvel: The Untold Story? Similar takes on the story of the comic book industry?

Also, I think there was a book with analysis about Claremont's X-Men, but I can't seem to recall its name. Does anyone remember its name?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

radlum posted:

Are there any books similar to Marvel: The Untold Story? Similar takes on the story of the comic book industry?

Men Of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book, but I suppose you should buy it used or something to avoid giving money to the pedophile who wrote it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Soonmot posted:

Someone here actually did a really deep dive into Monet and Penence and all that some time ago.

I remember feeling so vindicated when I read that years ago, because I always sort of understood where Lobdell was coming from with his Emplate stuff before Hama changed things up.

From memory the idea why Pennance has razor sharp skin was her power was to harden or soften her skin. But she was so traumatised by what she experienced that she was almost always in diamond sharp mode to protect herself. (In one early issue her skin softens briefly before she runs off.)

Dawgstar posted:

What part did Gateway have in killing the Hellions? I thought that was Fitzroy and his crew in the Upstarts.

From memory some guy (I think Pierce from the Hellfire club) was being chased by Sentinels in Australia and he runs into Gateway.
He demands that Gateway gets him out of there, and he opens a portal to the Hellions academy. And a bunch of Sentinals go through the portal and massacre the original Hellions.
So yeah Gateway does bear a part for those kids dying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

From memory some guy (I think Pierce from the Hellfire club) was being chased by Sentinels in Australia and he runs into Gateway.
He demands that Gateway gets him out of there, and he opens a portal to the Hellions academy. And a bunch of Sentinals go through the portal and massacre the original Hellions.
So yeah Gateway does bear a part for those kids dying.

Oh, right! Yeah, the Sentinels hit the Reavers in the big first Portacio issue of the Uncanny X-Men/Jim Lee new era and Pierce uses Gateway to escape to Emma. Got it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just finished The Twelve after finding it on the cheap at my local Ollie's. Maybe I set my expectations low but I actually enjoyed it, despite the extremely obvious Watchmen-worship.

Have any of those characters been used since the miniseries?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

I just finished The Twelve after finding it on the cheap at my local Ollie's. Maybe I set my expectations low but I actually enjoyed it, despite the extremely obvious Watchmen-worship.

Have any of those characters been used since the miniseries?

If I remember correctly, Mastermind Excello appeared or was named in a single panel in Amadeus Cho's first appearance. The other character haven't appeared since and I don't think any of them have been in any comics even after the reboot at the end of Hickman's Secret Wars.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vincent posted:

If I remember correctly, Mastermind Excello appeared or was named in a single panel in Amadeus Cho's first appearance. The other character haven't appeared since and I don't think any of them have been in any comics even after the reboot at the end of Hickman's Secret Wars.

The canniest thing I ever read about intelligence in the Marvel Universe was, if I remember correctly, Reed Richards acknowledging Hank Pym as his superior in a particular scientific discipline and saying "it would take me weeks to get to your level." Obviously, that was meant as a burn, but the point is that you can't know stuff without actually having studied it, which makes young characters that are "well actually they're the xth smartest in the world" sort of absurd.

I guess maybe that worked better before the timeline was insanely compressed, but there was a sort of understanding in the slower days that Richards, McCoy, Pym, et al were constantly working on stuff between sporadic adventures, as opposed to everything between FF #1 and FF #200 happening between, like, March 2000 and April 2001, or whatever the current bullshit is.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Vincent posted:

If I remember correctly, Mastermind Excello appeared or was named in a single panel in Amadeus Cho's first appearance.

that was actually a couple years before The Twelve started

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FoneBone posted:

Then I remembered incorrectly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

The canniest thing I ever read about intelligence in the Marvel Universe was, if I remember correctly, Reed Richards acknowledging Hank Pym as his superior in a particular scientific discipline and saying "it would take me weeks to get to your level." Obviously, that was meant as a burn, but the point is that you can't know stuff without actually having studied it, which makes young characters that are "well actually they're the xth smartest in the world" sort of absurd.

I guess maybe that worked better before the timeline was insanely compressed, but there was a sort of understanding in the slower days that Richards, McCoy, Pym, et al were constantly working on stuff between sporadic adventures, as opposed to everything between FF #1 and FF #200 happening between, like, March 2000 and April 2001, or whatever the current bullshit is.

I'm pretty sure the events of Fantastic Four #1 now canonically take place after September 11.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure the events of Fantastic Four #1 now canonically take place after September 11.

I asked in the thread a couple months ago; Sometime this year there will have been less time between the events of FF1 and the sliding Marvel now than there will have been since the release of the first Iron Man movie in 2008.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

maltesh posted:

I asked in the thread a couple months ago; Sometime this year there will have been less time between the events of FF1 and the sliding Marvel now than there will have been since the release of the first Iron Man movie in 2008.

Rule of thumb is Peter Parker isn't allowed to be thirty and he was 15 in Amazing Fantasy #15, which occurs slightly after but definitely less than a year after the FF got their powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FoneBone posted:

So Amadeus Cho's first appearance and the connection to Mastermind Excello happened a good number if years before The Twelve series was published.

But I have a distinct memory of either a One Shot or a Greg Pak penned issue that had Cho meet the original Mastermind.
(I think it revealed he setup the Soap company so if he ever found himself in the future, he would have access to resources. He was right.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was reading some X-Factor and noticed a lot of the characters in this issue had the same stance

It seems like artist Jackson Guice really likes that stance. What are the habits of other artists that give them away if you didn't know they'd drawn a book?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bessantj posted:

What are the habits of other artists that give them away if you didn't know they'd drawn a book?

Tony S Daniel really likes forearms. It's all over his Batman work but turns up elsewhere too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

Was reading some X-Factor and noticed a lot of the characters in this issue had the same stance

It seems like artist Jackson Guice really likes that stance. What are the habits of other artists that give them away if you didn't know they'd drawn a book?

Kirby has a thing where people like they're doing a special nature call, I've seen the pose in both New Gods & his 70's Cap run

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 15, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My favorite Art Adams quirk is that his nice detailed backgrounds start to become color fields and abstract shapes towards the end of each issue, and any crowd scenes become sparser the later they are in the issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The "deadlines are creeping up" style

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jae Lee has like two poses he puts characters in for covers

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

What is a "tiger-force"?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

maltesh posted:

What is a "tiger-force"?

Great question. I've always wondered if he was riffing on Blake, which feels likely on a gut level to me, but I'd feel irresponsible just flat out saying "it's a Blake riff." Smarter people than me have pointed out tethers between Kirby and Blake *as visual artists* and they were certainly drinking from similar cosmological wells in some ways but again I hesitate to say "ok that's simply what it is." But yeah-- that's my personal reading of "tiger-force," which is such an unusual and evocative phrase (and I imagine not a reference to the disgraced army unit of the same name, but who knows); that it's him referring to the scary pulse at the heart of Blake's poem "The Tyger"-- the terrifying and inscrutable but beautiful force of destruction and hunger that, Blake wonders, was somehow created by the same god that made the tender lamb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

What is a "tiger-force"?

Um, it's clearly explained that Darkseid is the tiger-force right there on the page, duh :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

maltesh posted:

What is a "tiger-force"?

It's the measurement of the impact when Wu-Tang is hosed with.

Eg, "At his peak, RZA was practicing Tiger Style at 1,000 tiger-force."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

It's the measurement of the impact when Wu-Tang is hosed with.

Eg, "At his peak, RZA was practicing Tiger Style at 1,000 tiger-force."

TIGER STYLE!