Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thank you for the reply guys about The black bibs, i got one of their black bibs plus and a orange jersey.

Now i can cosplay as a bee or a wasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Pro tip: maybe don’t go for a ride when there are multiple active wildfires within a 20 mile radius and the mountains and hills you can usually see with perfect clarity are almost invisible in the smoke.

Or do, if you enjoy coughing and hate your sinuses.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Goggles and a P100 respirator.

Be ready to ride in the climate apocalypse.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EvilJoven posted:

Goggles and a P100 respirator.

Be ready to ride in the climate apocalypse.

at that point you might as well get a full face respirator

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

someone describe the twitter link without pictures please. I'm assuming it's some kind of severe injury or death

Someone made liberal use of a round file to the underside of a fork crown in order to fit wider tires. Don't worry, I'm certain FEA was done beforehand.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Someone made liberal use of a round file to the underside of a fork crown in order to fit wider tires. Don't worry, I'm certain FEA was done beforehand.

Also sawed out a bit of a wheel rim in order to fit schrader valves

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uh time for another military move next summer and Petaluma, CA is at the top of my list.

Seems like awesome cycling, but….you guys sure seem to get a lot of fires. Coming from New England and now DC, am I overreacting or is it something to consider maybe not putting on my list?

Pros : biking, weather, food

Cons: smoky, unbreathable air with a chance of mudslides?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Fire season is only about 1 2 3 months of the year.

Generally homes in-town are safe from fires, it's the outlying buildings that are at risk every year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I hadn't even noticed that was why they did it, I just thought they had short valves lol.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I think that was a joke (but I didn't see the nms thing)

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I returned to my beloved road bike for a long ride yesterday after a long era of only indoor spin bikes and casual upright cruisers

pros: I am the wind
cons: oh god my shoulders

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He is just at the bleeding edge of aero wheel design!
https://www.facebook.com/AeroCoach/posts/hidden-valve-system-for-aeox-wheelsour-proprietary-hidden-valve-system-is-found-/2925853474115939/

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Pretty stoked on my current cockpit setup. Decided to go full Rockgeist because I liked the idea of their spacelink attachment system and it's working well thus far!

I know the thread isn't a fan of phone mounts but this Rokform one I've been using owns and I'm happy with how this 180 degree USB-C setup came out.

Did my first longer solo ride in a while yesterday and had to explain to a motorist that stopped to see if I was okay that I was just taking stupid photos lmao

Doing my first week long tour down PCH with a homie in a couple weeks and am excited to drop out of society and exist in the saddle for a few days.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Uh time for another military move next summer and Petaluma, CA is at the top of my list.

Seems like awesome cycling, but….you guys sure seem to get a lot of fires. Coming from New England and now DC, am I overreacting or is it something to consider maybe not putting on my list?

Congratulations on maybe going to the best training center base.

I was in petaluma and later lives in the bay area but i didnt care about bikes back then, but there is a hella lot of poo poo you can do with road bikes, gravel bikes and mountain bikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Objurium posted:

had to explain to a motorist that stopped to see if I was okay that I was just taking stupid photos lmao

Motorist: hmm, maybe I should talk that person down from whatever they think they're doing

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

In a perfect world - Motorist: I'll have what he's having...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Congratulations on maybe going to the best training center base.

I was in petaluma and later lives in the bay area but i didnt care about bikes back then, but there is a hella lot of poo poo you can do with road bikes, gravel bikes and mountain bikes.

Eh we’ll see-trying to short tour based on promotion but they might tell me to gently caress off and keep me in DC another year.

Only thing I’m worried about, besides my house burning down and insane cost of everything, is the infamous Sonoma aroma, but it can’t be that bad? Never been there, just been to Yorktown more times than I can count.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 8, 2021

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Objurium posted:

Pretty stoked on my current cockpit setup. Decided to go full Rockgeist because I liked the idea of their spacelink attachment system and it's working well thus far!

I know the thread isn't a fan of phone mounts but this Rokform one I've been using owns and I'm happy with how this 180 degree USB-C setup came out.

Did my first longer solo ride in a while yesterday and had to explain to a motorist that stopped to see if I was okay that I was just taking stupid photos lmao

Doing my first week long tour down PCH with a homie in a couple weeks and am excited to drop out of society and exist in the saddle for a few days.

That setup looks great! Very jealous of your upcoming tour, take lots of pictures!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Eh we’ll see-trying to short tour based on promotion but they might tell me to gently caress off and keep me in DC another year.

Only thing I’m worried about, besides my house burning down and insane cost of everything, is the infamous Sonoma aroma, but it can’t be that bad? Never been there, just been to Yorktown more times than I can count.

Its cow poo poo, I am ok with it because i come from a family of dairy farmers.

I would be more worried about a rolling coal lifted pickup truck blowing its fumes at me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I would be more worried about a rolling coal lifted pickup truck blowing its fumes at me.

So it’s just like Yorktown.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Drillium seeing a resurgence I see.

I'm the inside of the hole coloured in sharpie

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

All the cool kids are doing it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

So it’s just like Yorktown.

this is true for most places outside metropolitan areas

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:jebstare:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’ve heard of Hollowtech but this is ridiculous!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From the latest Rivendell newsletter:

quote:

Here's an example of what [the supply situation']s like now:
I placed two orders in June each for 1200 Alex DM21 rims and they told me the current ETA for the first order is July 2023, and the second order is March 2024.
How could that be? Do they really have that many unfufilled orders? It's hard to wrap my head around it.

They found the last known NOS Nexave derailleurs and bought them all, which have a resting position in the big cog instead of the little cog. Can't imagine it'd work well with any brifter where everything's gonna optimized for releasing cable on upshifts. But there must be fellow weirdos that appreciate it as much as Grant Petersen does
https://www.rivbike.com/products/rear-derailer-shimano-nexave-rapidrise?_pos=1&_sid=56fd1350d&_ss=r

Finally, a subtle lil brag

quote:

Trail was a hot topic a couple years back and came up in phone conversations at least once every two days. There's a great article, written by John Schubert, in RR 37, that lays it all out there as plainly as possible if you've heard about trail but aren't quite sure what it is. I like that he measures it in inches. It's here on pages 24, 25, and 26.

There's another steering dimension, a hugely overlooked one, that we pay close attention to on every frame design - Don't ask me what it is, I won't spill, but if you have a Riv you can trust it's been optimized for good handling.
I wonder.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Objurium posted:

Cockpit owns. If you're fine with your phone on the bars run it. Its your device! Post more about your ride on PCH. I've ridden it countless times on a moto. Cycling it would be epic. Getting motorists to stop and ask if you're ok should be the goal for every photoshoot :D

Albinator posted:

In a perfect world - Motorist: I'll have what he's having...

Bikes are a drug and they are highly addictive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
love this time of year cause I can stop and eat blackberries all the drat time

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i did it. I cracked my oem cinelli single speed freewheel. 3k miles or so in. cracked right between the cogs.

thankfully was only a few miles from home. ordered a white industries 17t.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hopefully you mean a 17t *fixed* cog.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

Hopefully you mean a 17t *fixed* cog.

i climb and bomb hills faster than fixie foos on my weekly group rides so no sorry. still respect the cult though.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Living in Petaluma will set you up for all sorts of awesome riding, whether its going to Napa and Lake Berryessa, or heading over to Valley Ford, deciding to go to Bodega Bay and Jenner, looping back through Guerneville, or if you want a fun gravel day, going to Old Caz Road. Lots of random little hills and what not and most of the locals are relatively friendly. Its an awesome place to be and I'm intensely jealous.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
Rode my first (metric) century yesterday! Got a flat a 90km, but managed to find a remove both a piece of glass and a metal splinter from the tire, swapped in my spare tube, and finished up the ride.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

nwin posted:

I don't think the area around Petaluma has burned, IIRC it's not quite the right mix of chaparral to be really dangerous, it's more farmland/grasses than that scrubby tree and underbrush mix that is dangerous.

Smoke happens but it's not all the time, at least for now

not super familiar with Petaluma really but you should be close enough for plenty kinds of biking in interesting places

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I threw a cheap mud guard and a cheap rear end saver on my bike. Tried it out in the rain yesterday and the sides of my thighs got very wet. Not sure if it was a problem with the rear fender or the mud guard on the front.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X5ZK6Q/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RVKY8V2/

Which one of these is most likely the problem that I need to figure out a replacement for? I'm thinking probably the rear needs to be way closer to the wheel. I won't be able to fit regular fenders without changing my tires and I have a rack that will limit how close one of the seatpost mounted ones can get to the wheel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

I threw a cheap mud guard and a cheap rear end saver on my bike. Tried it out in the rain yesterday and the sides of my thighs got very wet. Not sure if it was a problem with the rear fender or the mud guard on the front.
The downtube thing is specifically so you don't get road grime in your face, and the rear end saver is all in the name.

If you want your legs/ankles spared you need full coverage.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just get wet and throw your gear in the wash after. Or get waterproof pants.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Vando posted:

Just get wet and throw your gear in the wash after. Or get waterproof pants.

It's for touring so I'd like to avoid getting wet as much as possible. I guess waterproof pants would be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

waterproof over shorts are great but inexplicably hard to find to the point where you might have to take a pair of scissors to some waterproof trousers.