Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Strawman posted:

Everyone has a choice.
If I choose I will do my job for free.

The hypocricy is Messi crying or shedding tears and claiming he wanted to play for Barcelona but circumstances prevented this.
That is hogwash and pure dishonesty from him.

There are multiple avenues open to him and his highly paid advisory firms to figure out ways to play for Barcelona if he so wished e.g. not playing for free, but say, instead, investing some of his millions in the club. Or something financial and accounting people can figure out, on his command.

The real and simple truth is: He prefers the cash, regardless of where it comes from , and therefore is moving to PSG.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would be totally fine to do this, as any of us in his position would as well. Totally behind this.

But what I find distasteful is pretending that it is anything other than this. He is a hypocrite.

This guy is not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Strawman posted:

Everyone has a choice.
If I choose I will do my job for free.

The hypocricy is Messi crying or shedding tears and claiming he wanted to play for Barcelona but circumstances prevented this.
That is hogwash and pure dishonesty from him.

There are multiple avenues open to him and his highly paid advisory firms to figure out ways to play for Barcelona if he so wished e.g. not playing for free, but say, instead, investing some of his millions in the club. Or something financial and accounting people can figure out, on his command.

The real and simple truth is: He prefers the cash, regardless of where it comes from , and therefore is moving to PSG.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would be totally fine to do this, as any of us in his position would as well. Totally behind this.

But what I find distasteful is pretending that it is anything other than this. He is a hypocrite.

Wrong thread.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lmao messi should invest in the club just amazing

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

greazeball posted:

lmao messi should invest in the club just amazing

The law (and especially Spanish Law) is an excuse.
Powerful people can do what they want.

If Messi really wanted to, if La Liga wanted to and if Barcelona wanted to, they would have found a way.
I am not even an expert in the law, tax, rules etc, but
- 50% wages but personal investment in Barcelona FC(e.g. via his foundation or whatever) to enable the club to afford his own + his friends wages (Aguero et al) so everyone is registered
- Appeal to all the highest paid players (Griezman et al) to lower their wages voluntarily, by serving and leading by example and lowering his own wages. Maybe with some committment from Barcelona to commit X to charity or good causes like development of football in Catalonio over next 20 years etc.
A number of creative ways possible when you have the best player in the world, huge amounts of TV money, a PE fund and all their combined money invested in financial, tax, and legal wizards on retainer.
If they all really wanted to, they would have.
But maybe they just dont. Or at least, cant be bothered enough to try any further, after years of trying to.

Would rather pocket the cash from Quatari Govt, Lionel.
Which is fine.
Just dont do ridiculous emotional press conferences, dont feign, dont be dishonest.
,,,,Don´t cry for me, Argentina!

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Strawman posted:

Messi , for all his millions in the bank - is not free.
He may wish to play for Barcelona or Stoke, or any other club that he fancies. But his slavemaster - €£$ - will only allow him to play for the highest bidder (PSG, or City/Chelsea if they fancy him).

How sad is that?
To be the best footballer in the world, and not be free to do as you wish in life?

He is his own prisoner.

not sure about the later posts but cant argue with this

could have gone anywhere he wanted (probably except barcelona? lol) but chose the highest bidder

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Messi can go where the gently caress he likes, he owes Barcelona nothing I don't blame him taking one last payday before he retires

lol imagine saying with a straight face that the most famous footballer on the planet at the tail end of their career shouldn't take the highest bidder for all they're offering before they disappear into a room with a scale model of the orient express route

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 9, 2021

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
The poo poo sportswriting every-new-sentence-gets-a-line style is what really makes those posts

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

EC10 posted:

not sure about the later posts but cant argue with this

could have gone anywhere he wanted (probably except barcelona? lol) but chose the highest bidder

just lionel messi sullenly kicking a rock through the streets of paris for want of anything better to do on his day off

"yeah, the money's good, but I could have been in salt lake city or guangdong province right now, living the life"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

just lionel messi sullenly kicking a rock through the streets of paris for want of anything better to do on his day off

"yeah, the money's good, but I could have been in salt lake city or guangdong province right now, living the life"

yeah I imagine it's poo poo to live in Paris when you're stupidly rich, just hell on earth

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the point if you can’t eat massive sandwich’s prepared by a gourmet rat frankly

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Bape Culture posted:

What’s the point if you can’t eat massive sandwich’s prepared by a gourmet rat frankly

big gonz pounds another cubano, gives a thumbs up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1425183146283307009?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Peaky bottlers

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Man City admitting to being a violent criminal enterprise? Lock 'em all up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This is maybe the worst footy tweet I’ve ever seen. And I follow Greg!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

they're going to birmingham?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ilmucche posted:

they're going to birmingham?

They're going to Small Heath.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bape Culture posted:

Lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this the thread for bad jobs too?

https://twitter.com/JobsInFootball/status/1427586524158255108?s=20

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

"full-time voluntary work"

Yeah OK let me just work for free, full time.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
And here we thought the Qataris were bad.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
This guy "accidentally" bought his wife an XXL shirt.

https://twitter.com/brawleydarbon/status/1429199765288407040?s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I am sad
Angry
Numb
Hopeful
But I somehow still love Arsenal.
If that’s not love, what it is.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I need support mates! I am suffering from chronic anxiety and going through a bad phase. Following Arsenal is now literally painful and this isn't evena meme or a joke.

I have been a fan of Arsenal ever since I remember. Wenger is almost like a father figure to me. Whenever Arsenal did good I felt that I would be lucky and happy in the weak ahead. I felt bad when we lost but always had my head held high by the fluid way in which we played. I loved watching Arsenal play and loved those guys even when we lost because they always displayed character. Arsenal became my identity.
The last two years have been tough for everyone but I have developed this clinical anxiety in the last few months. I am always feeling low. I have stopped doing everything that I previously enjoyed, stopped watching movies, stopped running, reduced my reading etc. Arsenal was the one thing I kept on following. It has been almost like a religion to never miss a weekend match so was the European Wednesdays. For the last few months I have been feeling nothing while watching Arsenal, I don't even feel anger anymore...it's total apathy. The last time I cheered and woke up the entire neighborhood was when we bull dozed Chelsea last December. I feel hollow and empty now.
Many of you might feel that I am overeacting but sorry I can't help it.
Edit 1: I am taking professional help for my anxiety. I will talk about this to my therapist too. It's just I have made Arsenal a part of my identity. I run a small fangroup too who are down too.
Edit 2: Some of you have messaged me and have had really motivational messages for me. I am tearing up reading some of them. Thanks, forever grateful.
Received a message I thought worthy to share: The winter doesn't last forever, the fresh breeze of spring is round the corner and the first flower will bloom soon!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lmao god drat

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

blue footed boobie posted:

I need support mates! I am suffering from chronic anxiety and going through a bad phase. Following Arsenal is now literally painful and this isn't evena meme or a joke.

I have been a fan of Arsenal ever since I remember. Wenger is almost like a father figure to me. Whenever Arsenal did good I felt that I would be lucky and happy in the weak ahead. I felt bad when we lost but always had my head held high by the fluid way in which we played. I loved watching Arsenal play and loved those guys even when we lost because they always displayed character. Arsenal became my identity.
The last two years have been tough for everyone but I have developed this clinical anxiety in the last few months. I am always feeling low. I have stopped doing everything that I previously enjoyed, stopped watching movies, stopped running, reduced my reading etc. Arsenal was the one thing I kept on following. It has been almost like a religion to never miss a weekend match so was the European Wednesdays. For the last few months I have been feeling nothing while watching Arsenal, I don't even feel anger anymore...it's total apathy. The last time I cheered and woke up the entire neighborhood was when we bull dozed Chelsea last December. I feel hollow and empty now.
Many of you might feel that I am overeacting but sorry I can't help it.
Edit 1: I am taking professional help for my anxiety. I will talk about this to my therapist too. It's just I have made Arsenal a part of my identity. I run a small fangroup too who are down too.
Edit 2: Some of you have messaged me and have had really motivational messages for me. I am tearing up reading some of them. Thanks, forever grateful.
Received a message I thought worthy to share: The winter doesn't last forever, the fresh breeze of spring is round the corner and the first flower will bloom soon!

Park life

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is a post that talks about football but isn't about football at all

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ilmucche posted:

This is a post that talks about football but isn't about football at all

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Arsenal are some bad fail for sure but I'm not convinced that someone having a bad mental health time is particularly hilarious, no matter the cause.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Arsenal are some bad fail for sure but I'm not convinced that someone having a bad mental health time is particularly hilarious, no matter the cause.

:wrong:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

sebzilla posted:

If I were a plastic I'd simply support a team who win stuff

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Yeesh.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
up pops a smiling Stan Kroenke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

up pops a smiling Stan Kroenke

no that's Jeff Bezos

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
definitely wrong thread

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
good day for footy ay lads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
fully expecting things to ramp up and ecuador - chile getting cancelled due to the Second Impact