Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

8one6 posted:

Not yet. They're still filming.

Working on a Doc Hammer schedule, I see.

Yes, I know it's because of the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. I'm sure the way the episode handled things can be nitpicked by people more knowledgeable about the issues than I am, but that was the first one where it was clear oh no, they're actually trying to do a Star Trek here, it's not just jokes.

Yeah. I sat down to Orville expecting Family Guy IN SPAAAAAAACE!!!!, and if it had been that I would have been happy. And the first two episodes were pretty much that. But then we got About A Girl, which was real honest to gosh science fiction... and also funny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty bad episode. It's certainly more Star Trek than the earlier episodes, but probably the absolutely worst of Star Trek. This is probably a contender for the worst episode of the series so far.

Good news is you're past the worst of the show now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Which writer had the big brain idea that the two races would even trust the results of the “impartial expert” from the Union that says they have a common ancestor after they were drugged by said Union.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Which writer had the big brain idea that the two races would even trust the results of the “impartial expert” from the Union that says they have a common ancestor after they were drugged by said Union.

liz heldens, the main writer of Friday Night Lights

lol

episode 8 was brannon braga btw

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm a star trek fan and have really been hankering for some good stuff since most of the modern stuff is trash.

I'm really giving it a shot but the comedy in this show loving sucks rear end. I'm at the episode in season one where they are infiltrating a krill ship and they're cracking wise constantly. When they got to the krill religious service I just shut it off because their jokes sucked so bad.

Fun fact about the religions in this episode. The Krill worship Avis. Ed and Gordon come up with Hertz as a joke. Avis and Hertz are two of the Big Three car rental companies in the US. Can you name the third ?

Enterprise.

That's an amazing setup for a joke that doesn't even get said aloud. Thanks again to whoever pointed that out back when the show first aired.

e.

Jazerus posted:

episode 8 was brannon braga btw

He also directed four episodes, including About a Girl. That episode didn't quite nail the landing, but overall the Moclan gender issues episodes add up to a very good arc.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 8, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mllaneza posted:

That's an amazing setup for a joke that doesn't even get said aloud.

The TNG joke that gets paid off in the... last or second to last episode of season one is maybe the greatest long-play joke I've ever seen on TV. I don't want to post anything more about it since we got a new watcher but man. Incredible.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Covok posted:

I am iffy on that episode. It's trying to do both sexism and tranpsohbia in one go so it ends up clunky. It works better, honestly, as a discussion on intersex people. It still works for a discussion on transphobia since the message is the child should of had a choice on their gender expression and not of had to abide on the gender expression their parents felt they should have, but people can totally take it as a transphobic message and that's the problem. Still, I feel the writer's heart was in the right place so I can let it go.

One of the noblest callings of science fiction is to get so-called "normal" people to think about real-life things from a perspective that they wouldn't ever have thought of otherwise.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Grand Fromage posted:

The TNG joke that gets paid off in the... last or second to last episode of season one is maybe the greatest long-play joke I've ever seen on TV. I don't want to post anything more about it since we got a new watcher but man. Incredible.

Man, now i'm just wondering which joke you're referring to because that doesn't ring any bells for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Man, now i'm just wondering which joke you're referring to because that doesn't ring any bells for me.

And it's not like spoiler tags don't exist.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
How do Moclans reproducegently caress, anyway? I am a virgin. In that way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The most likely explanation is that they're hermaphroditic but have clear morphological or genetic markers making it obvious they're analogous to the males of other species on their planet. I doubt that the show would ever explain it though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

One of the noblest callings of science fiction is to get so-called "normal" people to think about real-life things from a perspective that they wouldn't ever have thought of otherwise.

Using the experience of minority characters to provide teachable moments for the majority population is really patronising, IMO. Less noble than noblesse oblige.

The episode gets into some really dumb gender essentialist crap too, and falls into a lot of classic stodgy scifi clichés. It's still pretty moving though, I'll give it that, and one of the show's more memorable episodes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Moclan females return and get a good episode don't worry. Get to hear some Dolly Parton too. The show seems to learn from missteps which is refreshing since most shows double down or pretend it never happened when fans don't like an episode. I could be reading too much into 2 seasons and the writing team may just have taken a bit to realize they rea writing a scifi and not a joke hour.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 8, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I heard an interview with the main one who said "It's like if you take two big rocks and run them through the dryer"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's hilarious because it doesn't explain anything but makes you picture something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That just makes it sound like two Goron going at it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

That just makes it sound like two Goron going at it

Pretty similar I would imagine, brother

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If they’re worried about getting cancelled after season three AND they want to continue being a TNG love letter, they have no choice but to end the finale on a cliffhanger where Mercer is converted in a Kaylon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GigaPeon posted:

If they’re worried about getting cancelled after season three AND they want to continue being a TNG love letter, they have no choice but to end the finale on a cliffhanger where Mercer is converted in a Kaylon.
Don't forget the dramatic orchestral stings.
DUNNA DUN DUN
DUNNA DUN DUN
DUNNA DUN DUN
DUN DUN
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
*dramatic camera movement*
Commander Grayson: "Mr. LaMarr……Boom, bitch."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
To be honest, since Seth MacFarlane has already used him for Family Guy and American Dad, I’d love for them to pull Ron Jones in to do music for The Orville!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My dream is to have Patrick Stewart show up and just be Bullock but in Star Trek.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Then come back in season 4 with sonic wallpaper.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bring Back Alara

:thanks:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Open Source Idiom posted:

Using the experience of minority characters to provide teachable moments for the majority population is really patronising, IMO. Less noble than noblesse oblige.

The episode gets into some really dumb gender essentialist crap too, and falls into a lot of classic stodgy scifi clichés. It's still pretty moving though, I'll give it that, and one of the show's more memorable episodes.

Okay. Sci-fi still does it, and has always done it. Teaching different points of view through allegory to bypass knee-jerk prejudices is good. Kids back in the day saw the otherwise identical half-blackface aliens and easily comprehended that the prejudice between them was dumb, and it happened in a way that their racist grandpa wouldn't immediately notice and shut down. So they were able to carry the message that "enslaving people for a slightly different skin tone is dumb" and perhaps apply that lesson to situations in their real lives.

Using aliens and robots as window dressing for morality tales is classic sci fi.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Killer robot posted:

They didn't film the season by episode, instead they did some sort of scheduling thing where "now we film all the scenes with this combination of characters and sets through the whole season", then the next combination, etc. Makes sense that different actors would finish at different times.

It's probably going to have some little oddities since it means that about half of each episode will be filmed pre-covid and half this year.

That's a smart way of doing things if you need to keep the number of crew and cast down for Covid reasons, but has to be an insurance nightmare. In a conventional filming schedule it's always going to be difficult to deal with if you have an injury, illness or death among the cast, but you can write someone out. With this type of production you'd have to scrap so much already filmed content.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Bring Back Alara

I know, I know, but then we'd be missing Talla. It sucks, two characters, but only one job. I'd be delighted if we got Alara back and kept Talla; Talla fits so well into the dynamic with Kelly and Claire as one of the voices of maturity and experience that it's be a damned shame to lose her.

I tell you, it's a dilema.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I ship Tallara

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

That's a smart way of doing things if you need to keep the number of crew and cast down for Covid reasons, but has to be an insurance nightmare. In a conventional filming schedule it's always going to be difficult to deal with if you have an injury, illness or death among the cast, but you can write someone out. With this type of production you'd have to scrap so much already filmed content.

That's how they were already doing it before covid happened. I presume there are cost benefits to it under normal operation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I like both characters but I think overall Talla is the better character for the show in terms of balancing the cast - there needed to be another older, more mature voice.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I like both characters but I think overall Talla is the better character for the show in terms of balancing the cast - there needed to be another older, more mature voice.

Agreed, they obv needed a female of whatever her species for script reasons but by the end she had her own unique character

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Grand Fromage posted:

Which joke is this? Just spoiler tag it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Which joke is this? Just spoiler tag it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829973&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=409#post516799626
The spoilered part?

edit:
This sent me on rewatch
Is it the talk about who becomes the chief engineer with Yaphet being next in line but they are considering Lamarr and Yaphet is just rambling 'is that because im liquid? this is racism!' and alluding to Geordi? VOY had B'Elanna vs generic white guy competing for chief engineering with notions 'but she's a klingon!'. Though I am unaware of how back in late 80's a darker skinned person in one of main commanding roles was received on big TV show so maybe not seeing the apparent for an US watcher undertone.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 9, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drunken officeparty posted:

Bring Back Tharl

FTFY

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Erulisse posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829973&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=409#post516799626
The spoilered part?

edit:
This sent me on rewatch
Is it the talk about who becomes the chief engineer with Yaphet being next in line but they are considering Lamarr and Yaphet is just rambling 'is that because im liquid? this is racism!' and alluding to Geordi? VOY had B'Elanna vs generic white guy competing for chief engineering with notions 'but she's a klingon!'. Though I am unaware of how back in late 80's a darker skinned person in one of main commanding roles was received on big TV show so maybe not seeing the apparent for an US watcher undertone.

It's this: Geordi La Forge started out as a helmsman and then inexplicably moved to Chief Engineer, much like LaMarr.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Talk about overthinking, heh.

Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Polaron posted:

It's this: Geordi La Forge started out as a helmsman and then inexplicably moved to Chief Engineer, much like LaMarr.

Yeah I meant this one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Season 1 episode 12 was pretty much the VOY episode “Blink of an eye” huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Season 1 episode 12 was pretty much the VOY episode “Blink of an eye” huh?

Which was, in turn, pretty much a book by Robert L. Forward.