Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ham Cheeks posted:

lol what the

District COVID protocols meant no in-person, face-to-face meetings. But also all school administrative staff had to return to the building.

So it was a building full of people sitting in offices Zooming each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

My workplace had a similar ridiculous system in June for the Return to Work ASAP demands.

Drive to work just to dial into virtual meetings since a majority of other departments didn't get the same unreasonable demand.

No one is working from home at my work, but they have everyone zoom into the big meeting every morning. Doesn't stop anyone from having smaller in person meetings, or just sitting at their desks stewing in everyone's exhalants, because masks are only required when you're away from your cubicle or office (not enforced at this time)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/RubyMcrae/status/1424093898763382788?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

No one is working from home at my work, but they have everyone zoom into the big meeting every morning. Doesn't stop anyone from having smaller in person meetings, or just sitting at their desks stewing in everyone's exhalants, because masks are only required when you're away from your cubicle or office (not enforced at this time)

I looked at my company's confirmed case dashboard this weekend and it's already higher than the winter 2020 peak.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

etalian posted:

I looked at my company's confirmed case dashboard this weekend and it's already higher than the winter 2020 peak.

it's almost like NPIs were actually the most effective method of containment

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

:lol: my company doesn't have one of those, we're small enough that if said infected doesn't tell you, they'll never announce it, and it's just that someone was "out sick."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

:siren: the respirator prices are going up fast. half the sites are pricing secure clicks at $75 now instead of $35

NUMBER GO UP!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: my company doesn't have one of those, we're small enough that if said infected doesn't tell you, they'll never announce it, and it's just that someone was "out sick."

Most people I talk with a regular basis said it's pretty much the grapevine.

Other funny thing is all the emails after a confirmed case saying don't worry a deep cleaning was done (For a virus which spreads via aerosol method)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

The return of mask confrontations

https://twitter.com/angryasianman/status/1424089956696223744?s=21

0:53 old grandma telling him to go back where he came from

that dude is an entitled loving cop. you can just tell

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

NUMBER GO UP!!!

3m is such a big company that I can't imagine demand for respirators bumping their number.

Masks in general, maybe just a little bit?

IDK, I'm not a number knower

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

that dude is an entitled loving cop. you can just tell

he has the guy version of the karen haircut

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i am harry posted:

god damnit I’ve spent over $400 on masks and respirators and filters in the past month

who knew not dying would be so expensive

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

here's a projected map of athletes returning through the airports of the world to their home country

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Paradoxish posted:

District COVID protocols meant no in-person, face-to-face meetings. But also all school administrative staff had to return to the building.

So it was a building full of people sitting in offices Zooming each other.

yes this was true for me as a teacher as well. I had a week before in-person began that I would have to do classes in the classroom but I was the only one there. Our elderly teacher who harangued like four doctors to get her medical stuff approved for virtual-only teaching also had to virtual teach in the classroom at school even though a.) students did not go into her classroom and b.) she was deemed vulnerable to infection

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Paradoxish posted:

before she finally said gently caress it and quit, the district was making my girlfriend go into the school so she could have zoom meetings with the people in the office next to her

At my old job I commuted an hour and a half to an office in the Seattle area so that I could launch a remote session on a server in Canada and work from there, then commuted an hour and a half home; I did this for seven years

When the company shut down my office and relocated the branch to Florida I said, hey, why don't I just work remotely from home, since literally everything I do is on a server in Canada anyways - they said, no, what we want to do is move your family to Florida at great expense so that you can continue commuting to an office and working on a remote server in Canada

Bureaucracies are sick and insane :shrug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

A respirator is nice but a good supply of KF94s are mandatory for this coming school/work season IMHO. Get them before they're gone too

what makes them better than the 50-pack of KN95s i've been drawing down on for the past year

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Watching the US trying to stop Delta is going to be like watching low energy Jeb! try to defeat Trump...

and also similar to this great history Cryin' Nate will be making more junk predictions.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if i were still employed at my former employer and had gone back to the office a couple weeks ago when they started reopening with mandatory vaccinations i would have been exposed last week when someone popped poz

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AppleNippleBOB posted:

3m is such a big company that I can't imagine demand for respirators bumping their number.

Masks in general, maybe just a little bit?

IDK, I'm not a number knower

I don't know anything about stonks either but it's fun to speculate

Shear Modulus posted:

what makes them better than the 50-pack of KN95s i've been drawing down on for the past year

it's not. Don't worry about it. Having to type out N95/KN95/KF94 to cover your semantic bases is tedious.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

... both are roughly equal. n95s don't come w earloop options. Filtration levels are p much equivalent. kn/kf masks are usually less expensive. Most medical workers can't use KF/KN because of reasons, so if you're worried about taking masks away from front line workers, don't fret w kf/kn.

All are good.
Respirators are better.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Schnorkles posted:

yeah excess death is north of a million iirc

My napkin math was 0.5% IFR * 300 million = 1.5 million last march and that seemed crazy to me.

lol. lmao.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Scientology was right. :eyepop:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Steve Yun posted:

The return of mask confrontations

https://twitter.com/angryasianman/status/1424089956696223744?s=21

0:53 old grandma telling him to go back where he came from

I wonder if this time around people are going to start getting more aggressive towards these anti-mask/vax tantrums, when folks who don't read this thread start to process how bad things are really going to get a lot of them will be well past sighing and eye rolling and all the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" messaging won't help things any

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress :(.

Our approach to covid is doing so much damage. The steady hum of death continues.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

robot roll call posted:

I wonder if this time around people are going to start getting more aggressive towards these anti-mask/vax tantrums, when folks who don't read this thread start to process how bad things are really going to get a lot of them will be well past sighing and eye rolling and all the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" messaging won't help things any

then the governments of florida and south carolina will make anti-masker a protected class

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

have they tried telling these nurses that covid is over

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I will not be able to continue being a therapist if the world continues to go to poo poo (and we all know it will).

what should I go back to school for to provide for my family after COVID.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

respiratory tract isn't nearly as spicy today as yesterday/the day before. Taste is still whacked, but I had a pastor torta and some birria consume earlier, and could taste good tastes (not @100% tho). No fever/chills/aches/coughing (*haven't had them p much at all this whole while).

Here is to hoping I'm over the hump and I had a mega mild case. Thanks, Phizer.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

Is there a site with daily case and death numbers throughout the pandemic that can be downloaded as a spreadsheet?

This is the nerd version if you’re trying to generate plots or whatever, it’s updated 1-2 times a day https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

whenever families with kids comes up between me and my therapist, she starts a 1,000 yard stare :lol:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Milosh posted:

I will not be able to continue being a therapist if the world continues to go to poo poo (and we all know it will).

Funeral home technician.

Undertaker.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

post the pug

Didn't ask me, but:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paradoxish posted:

have they tried telling these nurses that covid is over

Isn't psychology the art of not addressing the root cause of mental illness called capitalism

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1424443346383212550?s=21

Yikes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Milosh posted:

Surely there will be a bunch of openings in teaching. CTU pays real well starting out and is fighting mask mandates in order to make sure YOU have an opportunity to serve

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

I wonder when the breaking point is for all the hospitals and staff, how many people need to get sick and overflow the hospitals and field tents and how many bodies it takes before they just walk. Like, if we will ever see the full breakdown of healthcare in the US.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://komonews.com/news/local/more-than-100-gather-in-vancouver-to-protest-peacehealth-vaccine-requirement

More than 100 gather in Vancouver to protest PeaceHealth vaccine requirement

quote:

VANCOUVER, Wash. — Some PeaceHealth nurses traded in their scrubs for protest signs on Saturday.

More than 100 people lined up along Southeast Mill Plain Boulevard in Vancouver this weekend to protest the recent vaccine mandate that many hospitals, including PeaceHealth, handed down earlier this week. Demonstrators were spread out, up and down the I-205 overpass, voicing their concerns from the afternoon into the evening.

PAST COVERAGE | PeaceHealth to require coronavirus vaccine for employees, students as cases increase

Organizers say their biggest issue is the mandate and the timeline of it. PeaceHealth issued the new regulation on Tuesday, saying that by August 31, all healthcare workers and students need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit a qualifying medical exemption. Those protesting this weekend don't believe the mandate is fair.

"We don't want to be forced to choose between putting something in our bodies that we're not comfortable with and a job that we love so dearly," said PeaceHealth nurse Melisa Cold. "We are happy to wear our N95 [masks] to protect you. We just want to have the right to keep our job. We don't want to be villanized."
KATU News reached out to PeaceHealth about the Saturday rally. A spokesperson said they support the right of individuals to express their opinions, but their priority remains on the safety of their caregivers and those they serve. They say the policy is a reflection of the hospital's mission to make sure every person receives safe and compassionate care. Read their statement:

After careful discernment, PeaceHealth, along with area health providers Legacy Health and The Vancouver Clinic, joined many health systems across the country and professional organizations including the American Hospital Association, the American Medical Association, and the American Nurses Association in supporting the required vaccination of health care workers.

With hundreds of millions of doses delivered in the U.S. and many months of real-world evidence to draw from, the vaccines have proved safe and effective. We believe it is imperative for our employees who are medically able to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

We support the right of individuals to express opinions in an unofficial capacity outside of work. Our priority remains the safety of our caregivers and those we serve. This new policy is a reflection of our mission to promote personal and community health and our vision to make sure that every person receives safe, compassionate care at PeaceHealth.

Officials said earlier this week that nearly 80% of PeaceHealth caregivers have already been vaccinated against coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/AlliMechanic_TV/status/1424154411798962179?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe the vaccines had caffeine in them so she couldn't take them anyway