Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sekenr posted:

This gane reminds me of anothdr russian gsme. Vangers: one for the road

Lol. I get what you mean. Not nearly as inscrutable, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Z the IVth posted:

Quoting myself as it didn't get answered. The graphics are 2D art on par with Starsector, does it really need the latest gen 3D card to play or is it worth me trying to run it on a laptop?

I ran it fine for a couple days after release on my laptop, but once the save file got over 15ish million lines it started crashing from i assume running out of memory

I also discovered that you only need 6 Molots (the 13cm) and one layer of armour on one ship to take down any battlegroup with minimal damage, and that being very boring compared to the tactical cruise missile game and the strategic resource juggling. And then the game started crashing :jebstare:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I ran it fine for a couple days after release on my laptop, but once the save file got over 15ish million lines it started crashing from i assume running out of memory

So the starsector problem writ large. I wonder if there's a vmparams equivalent inside somewhere.

What sort of laptop were you using?

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

Oh neat (late game spoiler) it's possible to recruit the governor if you take a certain path in your dialog with him. Naturally his ship comes with him

I converted him and then let what’s-his-name merk him for revenge lol. Thanks for the ship, nerd.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Oh neat (late game spoiler) it's possible to recruit the governor if you take a certain path in your dialog with him. Naturally his ship comes with him

managed to pull this off and wow is it nice

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Voyager I posted:

You start seeing heavier garrisons and stiffer opposition in general as you move up north, to the point where bringing heavier ships of your own becomes desirable. Even if you have excellent mechanics in the tactical combat, there's only so much you're going to be able to do with a pair of 100mms before a Lightning runs out of fuel.

That's why you upgun them with stuff like 130mms. A Lightning with the twin 180mm and AP rounds will oneshot Strike Group cruisers.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

So the starsector problem writ large. I wonder if there's a vmparams equivalent inside somewhere.

What sort of laptop were you using?

A very barebones 8gig? ram Lenovo I normally use as a typewriter

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Marzzle posted:

the game hits you with a ton of mechanics at once. I focused on one thing/tactic/whatevs per game and figured that out to deal with the overwhelming level of depth as a fresh player. feels like a totally different game each time you figure out a new bit and it all combines into a delicious smorgasbord of mechanics to master on your way to the endgame. just remember that its sorta like a rougelike, you're supposed to lose a lot and apply what you learn to future games because that's part of the core gameplay

cock hero flux posted:

Tanker builds and basic walkthrough strategy

Thanks for the tips. Definitely feel a bit better about losses when framing it as a roguelike. I will try using the Sevastopol as a base of operations alongside a big tanker next run. I still have a lot to learn, will be interesting to see how nukes and carriers come into play!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Thank you to everyone for posting cool stories and campaigns in this thread, I’m living vicariously through you. This game looks a little too intense for my limited time and faculties these days.

I’ve also been watching this dude play the game:

https://youtu.be/1DWn7j14GlA

I found him when he did a Kenshi play through (which I did buy and get thoroughly addicted to). So if you’re looking for more secondhand Highfleet content he’s pretty good.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Decided to make a replacement for the sevastapol, but make it more carrier based instead.

It's slightly less armoured, but it's twice as fast.

10x37mm and 10x57mm for direct damage, good enough to fight off corvettes etc, but probably wouldn't want to attempt to take on an SG directly with it.

Any feedback to improve on this?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TescoBag posted:

Decided to make a replacement for the sevastapol, but make it more carrier based instead.

It's slightly less armoured, but it's twice as fast.

10x37mm and 10x57mm for direct damage, good enough to fight off corvettes etc, but probably wouldn't want to attempt to take on an SG directly with it.

Any feedback to improve on this?

I don't know if you tested it in combat, but do the plane crash into ELINT tower in front of them? Because when I designed my first carrier I lost all my planes that way.

My only real observation is that you're going to need to fiddle with ship file to allow it to be a Flagship, unfortunately it's not something you can toggle in the ship builder. Other than that, it's got some pretty big blind spots for gun coverage and you probably need another fire control system, only having guidance 2 mean your AA missiles are very likely to miss.

E: Put in the list when you're done.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15aJC186FB5JM08b-mJH7rPZ9XugdU_cJMh84P9Y4g0E/edit#gid=0

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Back Hack posted:

I don't know if you tested it in combat, but do the plane crash into ELINT tower in front of them? Because when I designed my first carrier I lost all my planes that way.

My only real observation is that you're going to need to fiddle with ship file to allow it to be a Flagship, unfortunately it's not something you can toggle in the ship builder. Other than that, it's got some pretty big blind spots for gun coverage and you probably need another fire control system, only having guidance 2 mean your AA missiles are very likely to miss.

E: Put in the list when you're done.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15aJC186FB5JM08b-mJH7rPZ9XugdU_cJMh84P9Y4g0E/edit#gid=0

Most of those guns have 360 degree coverage so it's pretty well covered in that regard.

I didn't realise FCS affects the sprint accuracy, I thought it was only for ballistic missiles. That makes a lot of sense I suppose!

What level of guidance would you recommend?

EDIT: I don't tend to use aircraft in combat, so while it's very likely they'll hit the ELINT tower I don't think I'll have an issue

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 8, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TescoBag posted:

What level of guidance would you recommend?

Something in the 4-6 range.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Has anyone figured out the green semi-circle that sometimes appears underneath ships in tactical combat?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Penitent posted:

Has anyone figured out the green semi-circle that sometimes appears underneath ships in tactical combat?

I believe that's the status of active-protection systems on the ship facing in that vague direction.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Back Hack posted:

[...]you probably need another fire control system, only having guidance 2 mean your AA missiles are very likely to miss.

I haven't ever noticed that an R-9 is more or less accurate with more FCRs, but they do allow more R-9's to be in the air at the same time, which really improves the chances of intercepting incoming nukes. Thats what the guidance number means, and it does seem to be directional.

My most successful flagship design yet:
The Ohio Class Missile Cruiser. Expensive and its not very fuel efficient at 2700/1000, but the cost can be reduced if you remove some of the initial missile loadout. The thing is an absolute tank, well armored and with 19x2A37's for point defense as well as 16 R-9's for interception, has easily handled multiple nukes without a sweat. The PD cannons also melt anything smaller than a strike group frigate if it ever does end up in combat, and I've wound up using it to solo cities while my actual fleet was handling real threats as the volume of fire is to vast that even without a sudden strike the enemy garrison barely ever gets more than a shot off. The three planes on the tail give it the ability to also intercept incoming planes with AA missiles and scout.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fCyAtENLeX1v-W4EkEKPhkW8ok0eLBZ_?usp=sharing

Honestly would probably benefit from having only 8 missiles instead of 16 just to improve its fuel economy but its a solid bus.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is this essentially a more user friendly and better made airships conquer the skies?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is this essentially a more user friendly and better made airships conquer the skies?

Yes.

But with less ship parts, no research, or official modding support - But also a story and deeper worldbuilding

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A very barebones 8gig? ram Lenovo I normally use as a typewriter

OK it works on my XPS13 but the mouse is super janky. Is there any fix for it?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TescoBag posted:

I didn't realise FCS affects the sprint accuracy, I thought it was only for ballistic missiles. That makes a lot of sense I suppose!

IIRC FCS radar is specifically for the R-9 point-defense missiles. Your big Kh-15 cruise missiles have their own built-in active radar seeker that activates once they hit the pre-programmed target point, at which point they'll keep going forward until something enters their radar cone and they lock onto it.

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 8, 2021

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Levin posted:

Thanks for the tips. Definitely feel a bit better about losses when framing it as a roguelike. I will try using the Sevastopol as a base of operations alongside a big tanker next run. I still have a lot to learn, will be interesting to see how nukes and carriers come into play!

also a lot of the wins posted itt were from a time there was a bug that would let you endlessly stack bonus cash from previous plays so people were going into a fresh game with like 500 grand and just mopping the floor with everyone from the early game :v:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

took my first fleet HQ and bombed away a SG and woah at the stuff at the fleet HQs

the whole game I loaded up on 100kg and 250kg bombs. then I baited the SG out by loitering in a misleading city as my fleet hid in a "hidden people" zone. finally just hit em with airstrikes with 250kg bombs over and over until the SG was obliterated, zero casualties on my side :getin:

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 8, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Marzzle posted:

also a lot of the wins posted itt were from a time there was a bug that would let you endlessly stack bonus cash from previous plays so people were going into a fresh game with like 500 grand and just mopping the floor with everyone from the early game :v:

That wasn't a bug, that was a design choice, wasn't it?

I liked it, it let me lose campaigns until I had about 300k at the start.

Although the 300k start campaign is faultering, and I'm worried my start bonus is gonna be garbage after the "bug" was "patched"

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Marzzle posted:

I thought that was sort of a mercy mechanic. Like a way to have mercy on people who like the game but aren't great at Lightnings or something.

Some of these mega-ships people have been posting seem like you wouldn't be able to use them without already having the funds from beating the game though. I have no idea how I'd support a 2783 fuel ship, that's an absurd amount of fuel you're going to have to buy.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

BrotherJayne posted:

Although the 300k start campaign is faultering, and I'm worried my start bonus is gonna be garbage after the "bug" was "patched"

If you want this changed back to something like it was before there is a thread on the steam forum requesting it and you should post your 2 cents in there. It's currently the biggest thread in the forum so far so it seems this change is a little unpopular.

I myself think the bonuses were too big per run before, but them accumulating over time was good. Maybe something in between would be good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I like having to give a poo poo about the money cost of ships.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I like having to give a poo poo about the money cost of ships.

I think a system where you can turn the bonus on and off or adjust the amount of bonus you can use would be better, makes everyone happy.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I call this the I Can’t Believe It’s Not The Lightning

130mm guns and thrust for days.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

I call this the I Can’t Believe It’s Not The Lightning

130mm guns and thrust for days.

Very nice!

You could probably put some steel hull pieces on there that would act as ablative armour to give it a touch of survivability]

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 9, 2021

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

TescoBag posted:

Very nice!

You could probably put some steel hull pieces on there that would act as ablative armour to give it a touch of survivability

Right now only the cockpit and ammo store have some steel on top. Leaving those exposed felt dumb even by pseudo Lightning standards. Needs some more combat testing to see what parts break first and check if those could be reasonably shielded.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

Right now only the cockpit and ammo store have some steel on top. Leaving those exposed felt dumb even by pseudo Lightning standards. Needs some more combat testing to see what parts break first and check if those could be reasonably shielded.

I've found adding some steel hull and APS improves survivability quite a bit. Doesn't slow it down too much either. I like this design a lot!

I just wish I could add some CIWS on it, but I suppose it'll be losing it's lightningness then.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

TescoBag posted:

I've found adding some steel hull and APS improves survivability quite a bit. Doesn't slow it down too much either. I like this design a lot!

I just wish I could add some CIWS on it, but I suppose it'll be losing it's lightningness then.

Hah, love the mad 80s shoulders. About the APS. Does it really do much at all, or don’t the stock ships just have enough installed?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

Hah, love the mad 80s shoulders. About the APS. Does it really do much at all, or don’t the stock ships just have enough installed?

APS is pretty effective. It'll stop large artillery shells from hitting you and sometimes that one missile you can't dodge, but probably not worth fitting as many as I have on there as they are quite expensive, so the lightning loses it's cheap and cheerful gimmick. Maybe one APS each side would do it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Friction posted:

Each one will stop one artillery shell or missile that probably would've hit you otherwise, and they don't weigh that much. So they're best suited for a frail, dodgy ship that can't withstand much damage: if you slip up or get overwhelmed by shells, an APS will let you soak one free hit.

AI ships don't see much benefit since they don't really actively try to dodge, but it's perfect for a player Lightning. Though the downside is that it's quite expensive and doesn't often show up in shops, so you probably can't rely on having a ton of them in the campaign.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

what does the "A" over an enemy fleet icon mean? I know "S" is strike group and "M" is a missile

BrotherJayne posted:

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

I thought that was sort of a mercy mechanic. Like a way to have mercy on people who like the game but aren't great at Lightnings or something.

Some of these mega-ships people have been posting seem like you wouldn't be able to use them without already having the funds from beating the game though. I have no idea how I'd support a 2783 fuel ship, that's an absurd amount of fuel you're going to have to buy.

it used to stack each subsequent bonus after each restarted campaign but they patched that and now it just keeps the last highest bonus for the game slot (pretty sure, I only double stacked once and then folks said it got patched but maybe I was imagining it)

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 9, 2021

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Marzzle posted:

what does the "A" over an enemy fleet icon mean? I know "S" is strike group and "M" is a missile

Those are aircraft carrier groups.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

maybe it's time to test my stockpile of AA stuff. are carrier groups like the strike groups in that they're limited?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TescoBag posted:

APS is pretty effective. It'll stop large artillery shells from hitting you and sometimes that one missile you can't dodge, but probably not worth fitting as many as I have on there as they are quite expensive, so the lightning loses it's cheap and cheerful gimmick. Maybe one APS each side would do it.

So on this design, the Brutus, I put 12 APS, and it really does massively improve the survivability against large caliber shells, they do burn out over the course of the fight but as long as they aren't destroyed they reload free similar to flares. They're what allow this ship to handle difficulty 10 large ship fleets in the editor. I've found difficulty 10 mixed small and mediums generally the most difficult of all test environments though, as the missile spam and fast targets extend your fight long enough to wear you down to the point where your engines finally can't keep an otherwise sound ship in the air. APS is very very expensive though.

Quad 6x180's with 360 degree coverage and lots of 37mm

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17vKegHc24OB_2-bdYf_rZsUuzuUFD9gh?usp=sharing

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

M_Gargantua posted:

So on this design, the Brutus, I put 12 APS, and it really does massively improve the survivability against large caliber shells, they do burn out over the course of the fight but as long as they aren't destroyed they reload free similar to flares. They're what allow this ship to handle difficulty 10 large ship fleets in the editor. I've found difficulty 10 mixed small and mediums generally the most difficult of all test environments though, as the missile spam and fast targets extend your fight long enough to wear you down to the point where your engines finally can't keep an otherwise sound ship in the air. APS is very very expensive though.

Quad 6x180's with 360 degree coverage and lots of 37mm

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17vKegHc24OB_2-bdYf_rZsUuzuUFD9gh?usp=sharing

That is definitely a thing.

Shame you can't afford it at the start of the game anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I tested an alternative 150k version that has 18x130mm's instead and no APS or missiles, its not as good overall but against medium craft like archangels its far better.

I also tried alternative is having ~34 of the 57mm and again with the 100mms, and without the punch of the bigger guns anything with moderate armor and a few missiles like gladiators or archangels can do too much damage to you before finally dying.

The big motivator on cost are things like both the big engines and the little engines costing 200, and the medium guns and little guns all costing 2000-4000, which makes ships with so many cost ineffective vs just putting a 6-180 and eating the upfront.