Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having done both, I think the appeal is not that they dry things faster, it's that throwing crap in the dryer is practically instant while hanging your stuff to line dry takes actual human labour. It's not a lot of labour, but it's more than zero. It's like, tossing your chamber pot's contents wasn't too hard, but I doubt anyone's complaining if their chamber pot gets replaced with a toilet.

Also re: appliances, one that's genuinely mostly US in my experience is garbage disposals in sinks. My ex's family even thought the idea sounded dangerous, like, as if people were fisting the garbage disposal and mangling their hands on the regular.

e: tbf seeing the covid situation it's understandable to imagine a significant portion of the US population shoving their hands into the grinder to own the libs

All you need to do is start a campaign claiming disposals aren't economically friendly or something* and i'm sure that number will max within months. Kinda amazing how far into the idiot realm conservatives will go to "own the libs"

*I guess it could be as simple as telling them liberals don't want you to stick your hand in a garbage disposal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
See, the real reason Europeans are in better physical shape than Americans is because after they wash their clothes they have to put everything on and run around really fast to get their stuff dry.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SocketWrench posted:

All you need to do is start a campaign claiming disposals aren't economically friendly or something* and i'm sure that number will max within months. Kinda amazing how far into the idiot realm conservatives will go to "own the libs"

*I guess it could be as simple as telling them liberals don't want you to stick your hand in a garbage disposal

This presumes that the media apparatus the right wingers are shackled too would report it as such.

I guarantee that if it was something that cut into their fellow shareholders bottom line you'd get maybe a few weeks of lying to own the libs before the higher ups smartened up and changed the story to "the perfidious libs wish to point out how corrupt and untrustworthy we are you to own yourself, doesn't that make you want to give us more power to profit off of stealing your wealth and future opportunities vote them out and disenfranchise them?".

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 8, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MathMathCalculation posted:

See, the real reason Europeans are in better physical shape than Americans is because after they wash their clothes they have to put everything on and run around really fast to get their stuff dry.

The chad wet shirted swede vs the virgin dry shirted American

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For folks who've been following the infrastructure package more closely, help me track down the truth behind what seems like some Big RWM Crazy. My dad called me up today ranting about how the package included a mandate to auto makers to,

1) put mileage tracking devices in all new cars, so that the government can assess a new tax on mileage (and also track all your movements)

2) within three years, ensure that all new cars have an iris-scanning camera which will lock the car if you aren't current on the taxes from #1, and which will inevitably then be used to lock your car if you're a conservative on twitter

Now, frankly, #1 is the sort of thing I expect from our slowly-expanding state surveillance apparatus, but #2 seems, uh... Improbable, at this juncture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The first bit is already fait accompli if you use the internet or have a cell phone from the past fifteen years

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Kestral posted:

For folks who've been following the infrastructure package more closely, help me track down the truth behind what seems like some Big RWM Crazy. My dad called me up today ranting about how the package included a mandate to auto makers to,

1) put mileage tracking devices in all new cars, so that the government can assess a new tax on mileage (and also track all your movements)

2) within three years, ensure that all new cars have an iris-scanning camera which will lock the car if you aren't current on the taxes from #1, and which will inevitably then be used to lock your car if you're a conservative on twitter

Now, frankly, #1 is the sort of thing I expect from our slowly-expanding state surveillance apparatus, but #2 seems, uh... Improbable, at this juncture.

There is a section about requiring things in new cars that monitor your alcohol level. I'm assuming someone took this and ran with it until it turned into this iris scanning thing.

E: link to article: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...12-fcb5a24c0278

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 8, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The first bit is already fait accompli if you use the internet or have a cell phone from the past fifteen years

It’s also already in place with a lot of modern cars. Basically, if a car offers over-the-air software updates or a wifi hotspot feature, it’s using that modem to collect, stream, and sell data on your location and everything you do in the car’s infotainment system.

Of course, that’s okay, because they’re just selling it to the highest bidder, not the gubmint. Capitalism!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At the end of the day it's meaningless bullshit to paint the other side as bad and justify hating them. What flavor of hatred and what words are used to get there is almost meaningless. The point is to have an "other" and to hate what they're doing/going to do.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, I can see mileage tracking as a thing. I'm pretty sure every state uses taxes on gasoline and diesel to fund highway and road work. So a switch to electric would cut into needed funds. An ic car driving 12,000 miles a year would pay those taxes for upkeep, where an electric car wouldn't pay a cent in the current system.

I've got a hybrid and am using ~35% less gas than my old car, and my next car (in several years) will be totally electric. I still use the roads and don't mind paying for their maintenance.

Other than a flat rate fee on electric, which would penalize people who don't drive much, the only fair way to tie amount of usage with tax paid would be some kind of system that shows how much you drive. Maybe checking miles driven in the year prior to your annual inspection?

Not that I care, I'm a lefty who will still get to use the Facebook regardless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do remember some discussion months ago from Mayo Pete about a mileage tax so maybe that made it into the bill?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, I can see mileage tracking as a thing. I'm pretty sure every state uses taxes on gasoline and diesel to fund highway and road work. So a switch to electric would cut into needed funds. An ic car driving 12,000 miles a year would pay those taxes for upkeep, where an electric car wouldn't pay a cent in the current system.

I've got a hybrid and am using ~35% less gas than my old car, and my next car (in several years) will be totally electric. I still use the roads and don't mind paying for their maintenance.

Other than a flat rate fee on electric, which would penalize people who don't drive much, the only fair way to tie amount of usage with tax paid would be some kind of system that shows how much you drive. Maybe checking miles driven in the year prior to your annual inspection?

Here in Illinois, a state rep just tried to get an amendment that would study the mileage tax. That lead to the right wing machine to go off and explode with rage about “they are taxing how much you drive” and “they are tracking you in your car”.

None of those outraged people made the connection a year later when we doubled our gas tax from .19 to .38 a gallon (just above what Indiana had been at for many years) and we now angry about that and saying that they were going to just go to Indiana to buy gas.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/07/tucker-carlson-hungary-viktor-orban-donald-trump

quote:

In the last few nights in Budapest,” mused Tucker Carlson, US rightwing media star, “I’ve run into a number of Americans who have come here because they want to be around people who agree with them, who agree with you. Do you see Budapest as a kind of capital of this kind of thinking?

Budapest is headed by the opposition and it's mayor is the most visible anti-Orban figure in the country. As always, if they actually want to be surrounded by people who agree with them, they have to go to the rural areas, not actual civilization.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kestral posted:

1) put mileage tracking devices in all new cars

have these people never heard of an odometer before

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

I'm assuming it's like the little miles per gallon video game I get to play on my dashboard while I'm driving on the freeway

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Zamujasa posted:

They mean one that will send mileage data to a central database, along with the metadata associated with it. Some modern cars are pretty much already doing this for their own purposes, and it's a legitimate privacy concern given the terrible track record everyone has in handling that stuff.

In case it helps anyone else, I found a PDF of what appears to be the entire text of the bill, which is easily searchable. Confronted with the fact that the words "iris," "retina," and "eye" do not appear in the bill, he fell back on, "Well, it must have been in there but it was withdrawn from that version of the bill - or, they've put clever wording in that gives the bureaucrats the ability to do this later!"

Brain poison, there's nothing you can do about it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Here in Illinois, a state rep just tried to get an amendment that would study the mileage tax. That lead to the right wing machine to go off and explode with rage about “they are taxing how much you drive” and “they are tracking you in your car”.

None of those outraged people made the connection a year later when we doubled our gas tax from .19 to .38 a gallon (just above what Indiana had been at for many years) and we now angry about that and saying that they were going to just go to Indiana to buy gas.

Gas seems to be one of those things people will go to stupid lengths to get cheapest. I worked the "fuel station" at a Krogers. Krogers was usually pretty slow to do fuel price changes, so when all the local stations would go up 5 cents, we'd lag behind for a few hours and as a result would be slammed with lines down the road waiting for gas. For 5 cents. People would show up with pickup trucks full of gas cans to load up

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Gas seems to be one of those things people will go to stupid lengths to get cheapest. I worked the "fuel station" at a Krogers. Krogers was usually pretty slow to do fuel price changes, so when all the local stations would go up 5 cents, we'd lag behind for a few hours and as a result would be slammed with lines down the road waiting for gas. For 5 cents. People would show up with pickup trucks full of gas cans to load up

I've never been to a Costco when the gas line wasn't like 20 cars deep. They had a lot of pumps but it was still at least a 10 min wait or so.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It feels like the same weird mindset that leads to driving in circles for 20 minutes for a good parking spot instead of walking for 30 seconds

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SocketWrench posted:

I worked at a Murphy USA (gas station outside of Walmart) back in college (2001-2003). We would intentionally be a penny cheaper than everyone else and people would drive over from a town 10 miles away to get gas from us. On 9/11, the entire walmart parking lot was packed with people lined up to get gas because we were $1.01 and the other gas stations were at $1.11 (one station went to $8.00 a gallon and the next day my econ professor explained to us how price gouging was good).

However, that was when I learned how bullshit the "market forces" were. We would always be a penny cheaper than every other gas station UNLESS you turned in your morning gas report after 7am. Then you would sit at the same price for a few days, regardless of how much cheaper the other stations got, before getting a call from the district manager about how your sales are sucking and you need to get your gas report in on time. The next day, we would go back to being one cent cheaper.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Walmart (sams club) Costco and BJ's are cheaper because they want to lure your rear end into the store to buy poo poo, and remember you need a membership to get gas

so you need to do like 500 gallons a year to make up the membership cost.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AtomikKrab posted:

Walmart (sams club) Costco and BJ's are cheaper because they want to lure your rear end into the store to buy poo poo, and remember you need a membership to get gas

so you need to do like 500 gallons a year to make up the membership cost.
So about atank and a half a week?
Also Costco send you a rebate if you don't make up the membership price.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HootTheOwl posted:

So about atank and a half a week?

What's the matter Hoot, can't you visualise a flagon or gallon or w/e of petrol without having to convert it to some kind of concrete object?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: tbf seeing the covid situation it's understandable to imagine a significant portion of the US population shoving their hands into the grinder to own the libs

Our water department would be irate if people started putting ground-up food into the sewer system. Leaving aside pipe clogs it's going to drive up the BOD and nitrogen content.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Lone Badger posted:

Our water department would be irate if people started putting ground-up food into the sewer system. Leaving aside pipe clogs it's going to drive up the BOD and nitrogen content.

Oh so they can't treat their waste water properly either!? If I can't use my garbage disposal like a black hole for all food waste then what am I supposed to do with it, compost like some communist?

No sir. :911:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh so they can't treat their waste water properly either!? If I can't use my garbage disposal like a black hole for all food waste then what am I supposed to do with it, compost like some communist?

No sir. :911:

I mean I'm no expert, but I fail to see how you can't send shredded food down the same pipes your poop and anything else you flush is going.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Gas taxes barely cover maintenance of existing infrastructure. Personal vehicles are heavily subsidized. A mileage tax would be better, but it should also be pegged to income.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I mean I'm no expert, but I fail to see how you can't send shredded food down the same pipes your poop and anything else you flush is going.

You've now got twice as much nutrients in the water as if there was just poop, so you need twice as much water treatment plant.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
posting just to see if i posted the sewer vocab word fatberg

e: huh so that was another thread.

yeah try not to put food waste down the sink, that goes with garbage. if you want to do something with itm make stocks, roux, or compost.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 9, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I got ice there, only when I asked for a glass. They just kept giving me ice! I'm like, GLASS please, a GLASS
I get it :)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Lone Badger posted:

You've now got twice as much nutrients in the water as if there was just poop, so you need twice as much water treatment plant.

I mean, I don't think a sink is made to take a whole ham or something. Disposals are meant to handle that little bit left on plates, not like grind up a party sub every time. I mean, this assumes idiot Americans use it for the designed reason and not to stuff down everything they don't want

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Gas taxes barely cover maintenance of existing infrastructure. Personal vehicles are heavily subsidized. A mileage tax would be better, but it should also be pegged to income.

Just have an income tax then

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Speaking as someone who has spent time with both. I would rather have no disposal and a $2 sink strainer. It is much easier to dump out the strainer several times than to try to dig out some small spoon once.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

wolfman101 posted:

Speaking as someone who has spent time with both. I would rather have no disposal and a $2 sink strainer. It is much easier to dump out the strainer several times than to try to dig out some small spoon once.

Solution: only use large spoons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're putting spoons down the disposal idk that you can claim to be better than people who put melted animal fat down a non-disposal-equipped sink

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weatherman posted:

What's the matter Hoot, can't you visualise a flagon or gallon or w/e of petrol without having to convert it to some kind of concrete object?

Yes? I mean congrats on having a chip in your brain that gives you complete understanding of what 500 gallons is and immediately understanding that it isn't really that big of an ask for a motorist to go through 500 gallons a year? I apologize for thinking the number would be better expressed as "frequency of use during the time period" instead of "raw yearly consumption output"?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I dunno bro seems like by someone's logic then you should be measuring it in tanks than in some useless and hard-to-grasp arbitrary units like gallons :smug:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The size of tank the king has when the new measurement is invented*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weatherman posted:

I dunno bro seems like by someone's logic then you should be measuring it in tanks than in some useless and hard-to-grasp arbitrary units like gallons :smug:
Yes. That's why I did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

The size of tank the king has when the new measurement is invented*

Nah it should be based on the king's bladder size.