Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

So much for soft power

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...pgtype=homepage

quote:

The latest public opinion poll announced by the Pew Research Centre on June 30 shows unfavourable views of China among the world’s most advanced economies across North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific standing at or near record highs, while positive views of the US rebounded after Biden defeated Donald Trump and became US president.
According to the Pew survey that polled almost 19,000 adults in 17 democracies between February and May, confidence in Xi was between 12 and 36 per cent in the 16 countries surveyed – at or near historic lows except in Singapore – compared with Biden’s average of more than 73 per cent.
“The foreign ministry is well known for hawkish Wolf Warrior remarks – it even criticised the People’s Liberation Army [PLA] as too ‘soft and weak’ when dealing with the United States,” said the source, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
“The PLA expressed concern to Xi about the foreign ministry’s Wolf Warrior diplomacy, saying it would not ‘pay the bill’ for their irresponsible remarks.”

and interesting that it's the foreign ministry that's pushing the wolf warrior BS. maybe it plays to the domestic audiene but it just comes off as incredibly cringe internationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You're overthinking it tbh, the reversal in favorability is 100% because of covid. It'll probably rebound eventually once covid gets under control (lol)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Speaking of Wolf Warrior, are there actual drug smuggling operations in China proper (as opposed to the Golden Triangle) with Chinese nationals armed with illegal weaponry, or is this scenario as entirely fanciful as Heat-style American armed robbery bank shootouts after 1997 (the North Hollywood shootout)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bk8aUwIis

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/next_china/status/1424541968076615687

:thunk:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Just casually using racist stereotypes to explain how the soon to be most powerful nation in the world functions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

shrike82 posted:

So much for soft power

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...pgtype=homepage

and interesting that it's the foreign ministry that's pushing the wolf warrior BS. maybe it plays to the domestic audiene but it just comes off as incredibly cringe internationally.

old news dude

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-07/china-education-firms-to-end-most-classes-with-foreign-teachers?sref=OuEBXo2C

close the dnd thread lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

God it rules Xi declared war on for profit education and tech.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Can't believe the sexpat industry is gonna be dead

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not this dumb poo poo wolf warrior nonsense again.

Come up with something new at least.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

Can't believe the sexpat industry is gonna be dead

It seems like it just affecting teachers zooming in from overseas. If anything it may swell the market for sexpats.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

If anything it may swell the market for sexpats.
The invisible hand of the goon market triumphs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

wasn't that tankie mod posting from China a sexpat?
r guyovich?

still remember his posts trying to approach locals to discuss dialectics which was peak goon especially considering he didn't speak any Chinese

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

shrike82 posted:

r guyovich?

still remember his posts trying to approach locals to discuss dialectics which was peak goon especially considering he didn't speak any Chinese

who?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it just affecting teachers zooming in from overseas. If anything it may swell the market for sexpats.

I am pretty sure the new law affect all after school tutors. And there is a ban on taking lessons from foreigners (correct me if I am wrong).

The only form of tutoring unaffected so far is one on one tutoring.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The invisible hand of the goon market triumphs.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am pretty sure the new law affect all after school tutors. And there is a ban on taking lessons from foreigners (correct me if I am wrong).

The reporting is extremely poor as to be expected but it seems the reform is focused on “foreign based teachers” not necessarily those with foreign passports.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I can comment since I live in bj and work at an international school. this effects private tutoring companies. There's training centers, and online ones. the most famous one is one called vipkids, which did online classes with foreigners. That's pretty much all done now. hopefully my job stays ok, since all schools in china are already non-profit. I wouldn't be surprised though if they crack down on international schools as well. even though we're technically non profit most of them only care about money.

I asked my wife how people online are reacting to these changes, and surprisingly (to me at least) people are super pissed off. according to her, most people agree that it's better for society but still disadvantages them personally. there's also the feeling that it isn't fair, because one on one tutoring (which is extremely expensive) is unaffected, but online tutoring and training centers (which is more for the masses) was shut down.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The cynical take I've heard is that it's a 官二代 vs 富二代 thing where the former can't compete with the latter on resources invested in education

The stuff surrounding getting into Chinese elite education is basically the equivalent of Ivy League resume polishing these days

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lessening education pressute/competition is good. There is no point banning 1 on 1 because you don't have a way to catch them effectively. It's like outlawing home brew alcohol, there is no point.

On a slightly unrelated note, Beijing is considering levy a huge (monopoly?) fine on the Chinese version of Uber eats/gig economic delivery. I don't think the news has been repost on here yet.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Sounds like they're effectively banning organisations that were just farming/rubber stamping en Masse and giving out accreditation without actually training or Educating the clients.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

China’s government enacted its harshest ever curbs on the after-school tutoring industry last month, banning companies from hiring foreigners outside the country as teachers or introduce school curricula to children under six.

this is buckwild, can you do that? I mean I guess you can but "no foreigners" is insane

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

r guyovich?

r guyovitch died defending your freedoms in vietnam u son of a bitch

e: I should specify he was fighting for the vietcong

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

r guyovitch died defending your freedoms in vietnam u son of a bitch

e: I should specify he was fighting for the vietcong

same vibes (altho the source pic was from Japan)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
dont sign your posts

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

this is buckwild, can you do that? I mean I guess you can but "no foreigners" is insane

despite international politics, demand for foreign teachers is insane in china. It's less than it used to be, but supply is much lower. There's an idea that only native speakers can teach english well, and english is neccesary, both to live a bourgeoisie life and also it is a subject on the gaokao (college exam). Not only that, even within college, everyone has to pass an english test to graduate, even if their major has nothing to do with english at all. Chinese students are so screwed, they have to learn english both to go abroad and stay in china, if they want higher education.

This has led to a lot of places hiring for looks alone. because the level of english in china is so low, people don't really know what it sounds like. Many/most of these training centers are staffed by eastern Europeans. They look the part, but the second they open their mouths it's obvious they're not native speakers. not to say that you have to be native to be a good teacher, but the standards for a lot of these places are really really really low. this leads to pissed off people who feel that they got ripped off. So I'm totally in favor of increased regulation on this sector, even though I predict in a few years it might render me jobless.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, it isn’t. You could you know actually read other posts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
there’s been repeated calls by various factions of the npc over the years to remove English as a gaokao subject and if xi had the pulse of the people he would do it and earn the adoration of the people forever. Not only is it a useless fluff subject it’s a massive source of educational inequality as students in rural areas are disproportionately disadvantaged. dumb city kids can watch dumb American tv shows on their own time, there’s no good reason to subject the rest of the country to it.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WjozwcRqI

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ESL in East Asian exam culture (specifically, China, Japan, and South Korea) is interesting - for all of Japan's history with the West and the extended ESL curricula, I get the impression Japanese students still struggle with English

that being said, the monetization of Chinese foreign students in Western universities has led to sub-communities of students who spend their entire overseas college experience unable to speak English competently

it wasn't noticeable when i was doing undergrad in the early noughts but at my MBA more recently, there was a fair bit of condescension towards the Chinese foreign students due to them struggling with basic English

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Japan's history with the west means the rest of the entire world. It's not exclusively English or English speaking countries.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also it's just loan words or whatever that get picked up from foreign languages, you aren't just going to overcome the grammatical differences between Japanese and English.

Even if the upper classes really get into foreign language and culture it would still not filter down to the rest of the population. You just get loan words like arubaito or norma, they become part of the common language, you don't suddenly get better at speaking english or german or whatever. You can look at Russia and their massive importing of western culture and see how little difference it made.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you had english ed at public schools starting during the Meiji era and GHQ extended English ed to everyone in junior high onwards during the occupation :shrug:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol the d&d china thread are now twisting themselves into pretzels discussing how China does Olympics athlete training evilly unlike the noble and freedom loving West.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Didnt china miss out on a gold because they didnt bow to the judges or some dumb poo poo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Lol the d&d china thread are now twisting themselves into pretzels discussing how China does Olympics athlete training evilly unlike the noble and freedom loving West.

Hmm lets check everything that's been said about the olympics in the D&D thread in the last bit:

AtomikKrab posted:

How Salty is China going to be that the US pulled out in front in the gold medal count at the very end?

radicaldreamer posted:

Really going to require a lot of mental gymnastics about how the medal count should be ranked lol

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The US didn't just get more gold, they took home more medals in every category.

Staluigi posted:

we pulled out ahead? so i have to switch from sour grapesing the olympics to being really smug and caring about it from the beginning?

Rabelais D posted:

The US also fielded several hundred more athletes, so it's hardly a super achievement. Then you consider population size and GDP and San Marino looks much more successful than the US or China. Of the bigger countries Australia seems to outperform pretty much everyone at sports.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Population of 25million and we came 6th.

It seems like a ridiculous achievement, but this country spends so much money on the Australian Institute of Sport it's insane. It's like almost the old communist training programs where kids get singled out early and that's just now what they do all day every day until they win a gold medal and retire to quiet poverty and a broken body.

dr_rat posted:

Ah living the Aussie dream :unsmith:

So the opposite; talking about how western countries do the same "sour grapes"ing as others, and actually talking about how Western countries mistreat and don't care for their athletes.

The breathlessly kramering into the China threads talking about how that OTHER China threads are so full of insane racists/tankies/colonizers/libs etc. is really dumb in the first place but it's even more dumb when it's literally the opposite of what's been said.

If you're seeing some poo poo from back in July or June or something saying what you claim then by all means post it.

Edit: you're right that they mention "the old communist training programs" which is clearly a reference to the USSR and East Germany

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

you had english ed at public schools starting during the Meiji era and GHQ extended English ed to everyone in junior high onwards during the occupation :shrug:
And which country managed to make bilingualism work by teaching another language in school?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i liked the olympics better when i thought it was about athletic feats instead of nationalist/counter-nationalist dickwaving

and extremely lucrative graft

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Office Pig posted:

i liked the olympics better when i thought it was about athletic feats instead of nationalist/counter-nationalist dickwaving

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The original olympics games were about dickwaving between the city-states, its never been pure