Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My performance on the retaken technical assessment jumped from 42% to 84% :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

My performance on the retaken technical assessment jumped from 42% to 84% :cool:

Nice

I ran the data through my custom ML algorithm and it says if you can convince them to let you take it one more time you'll jump up to 168%

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jose Valasquez posted:

Nice

I ran the data through my custom ML algorithm and it says if you can convince them to let you take it one more time you'll jump up to 168%

I suspect it would have been higher if I wasn't "lazy" with a couple of the questions. Maybe I could have put a little more effort into the coin question, but I'm not sure how much more time I would've needed for the "print the current state of a tennis game" question as that one was a little trickier.

Coin question I probably could've done something like:
1. If even it is divisible by 2. (4 is {2,2}, 6 is {2,2,2}, 8 is {2,2,2,2}, 2 is just 2). So that's your change.
2. If odd and less than 4 return false. If 5 or greater we have:
5 is 5.
7 is 5 and 2.
9 is 5 and 2 and 2.

So current remainder modulo 5 and then new remainder divided by 2?

For something a little more flexible if there's denominations larger than 10 added.

I'm not sure if its feasible in an hour to find a more flexible solution that gives the optimal amount of exact change for any
arbitrary collection of denominations though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure if its feasible in an hour to find a more flexible solution that gives the optimal amount of exact change for any
arbitrary collection of denominations though.

If you're very practiced at dynamic programming and try it first you might be able to, but not many people would get it.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

By what criteria do hiring managers judge bootcamps? Is there a certain length/cost over which they are seen as ~legit~, or is one bootcamp as good as any other? Are there some top names, and the rest also-rans?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

scandoslav posted:

By what criteria do hiring managers judge bootcamps? Is there a certain length/cost over which they are seen as ~legit~, or is one bootcamp as good as any other? Are there some top names, and the rest also-rans?

Only a few have any sort of name recognition. Among them are App Academy (full disclosure: I'm an alum) and Hack Reactor. The best bootcamps are generally the ones where you only pay once (and if) you get a job afterward.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm in the middle of UConn's bootcamp which is headed by Trilogy and I feel like that might be worth a tiny bit of name recognition but what do I know.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

scandoslav posted:

I get to know a few of the big ones in my area. If I don't recognize it, I'll usually spend more time talking to candidates about what they did and what they got out of it. There's usually a clear divide between the people who take it seriously, work hard, have some aptitude, and actually got something out of a BC and then those who basically treated it like 8th grade shop class.

IMO it's way better to get something meaningful out of a small bootcamp than coast through a big-name one. People really shouldn't think of them like a certification that means you get a job. If you can't talk intelligently about projects and have some (working) code examples to share and run through the bootcamp is probably not a good use of time.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lockback posted:

I get to know a few of the big ones in my area. If I don't recognize it, I'll usually spend more time talking to candidates about what they did and what they got out of it. There's usually a clear divide between the people who take it seriously, work hard, have some aptitude, and actually got something out of a BC and then those who basically treated it like 8th grade shop class.

IMO it's way better to get something meaningful out of a small bootcamp than coast through a big-name one. People really shouldn't think of them like a certification that means you get a job. If you can't talk intelligently about projects and have some (working) code examples to share and run through the bootcamp is probably not a good use of time.

100%.

It's remarkable how many people in my cohort threw down the money to go into this bootcamp but are very blase about it, don't ask questions, don't engage, and fall behind. My tutor for this curriculum told me when he did the same bootcamp, it started with 50 people and only 10 graduated because so many of them fell behind.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

scandoslav posted:

their reputation is bound to the city they are in usually.

im a bootcamp grad, and im 1.5yoe in and ive removed it from my resume at this point because it doesnt matter in comparison to my jobs. it doesnt help check any box that hr looks for like a 4yr deg does.

bootcamps serve a specific purpose: land a jr dev job. they arent really designed to carry you further in your career like a degree is supposed to

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

barkbell posted:

their reputation is bound to the city they are in usually.

im a bootcamp grad, and im 1.5yoe in and ive removed it from my resume at this point because it doesnt matter in comparison to my jobs. it doesnt help check any box that hr looks for like a 4yr deg does.

bootcamps serve a specific purpose: land a jr dev job. they arent really designed to carry you further in your career like a degree is supposed to

This. I also did a trilogy bootcamp. It was not that great. There curriculum was outdated when I did it. They updated it after my cohort. But I did meet a guy there who got a job as an automation QA before he graduated. He got me a job at the same place.

I had to learn C#, Selenium, decent testing practices azure devops, and CI/CD. But I learned it all on the job.

I did that for about a year and a half and was promoted to software engineer about 3 months ago. Now I'm still using C# but instead of the JavaScript and react stuff the bootcamp taught, I use blazor. Trilogy was enough to help me get a foundation to keep learning, but make sure you put in your own effort to learn outside of class.

It's who you know and how much work you are willing to put into learning.

Sorry about my ADHD rambling.

Also I got hired at $67,000 for automation QA in Denver metro which is underpaid.

$75,000 starting as a junior dev which is underpaid. But I know that, and I'm just going to pick up a year of experience. Also I love my job. Very low stress.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Those are very valuable bits of posting for someone in the middle of a Trilogy bootcamp now. I have also noticed that there isn't much focus on current better practices/"this is a much more optimal way to do this" type of stuff, and part of it is probably because if you go to work for a company, there is likely to be some legacy code/older practices in the codebase that you'll need to understand in order to update.

But my expectation of "get my foot in the door as a junior developer and take it from there on my own" is exactly my thought process. I know I have the tools and the drive to learn as much as I can on the job and to be diligent and do my best, and ultimately, if I'm working for a company I enjoy working for and making even a lower-end developer salary, I'm pretty content with that.

It's very good to read that my hunch was correct -- that I am not going to expect employers to expect that someone with no experience other than a six-month bootcamp is any replacement for the knowledge of a four-year degree or from someone who's actually worked in the industry with a robust background in building codebases.

EDIT: Haha, after posting this and going through the next part of the DOM module, it's having us use innerHTML as an example of manipulation, which is a huge security risk and a nightmare to maintain from what I understand.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 9, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
it depends. the security concerns come into play when you don't have complete control of what markup is being inserted into the dom.

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
Glad the thread is already talking about bootcamps because I came here to ask for help choosing between two. Earlier this year I took a free class from Stanford on programming in Python, and it didn't get too in-depth but I'd say it set a nice foundation for problem-solving and writing clean code. Along with that I've spent some time learning JavaScript along with some basic HTML/CSS. So now that I felt confident enough with my basic JS and programming skills, I applied to and got accepted by App Academy and Hack Reactor.

Any idea which one might offer better prospects of getting that first programming job? That's how I'm looking at these bootcamps; I know it won't matter much after that. I know both have pretty good reputations, and I'll be putting in a lot of time and effort whichever one I do.

Both bootcamps offer ISAs, so basically a tie regarding money. As long as I don't need to pay up front, I don't mind taking a salary cut when I'm getting into the career.

HR is 9/20 to 12/24, with a pre-class starting now leading up to it, while A/A is 8/30 to 12/17. So the dates are pretty similar but I suppose there would be more official class time with A/A.

It looks like HR's curriculum is entirely in JavaScript. Going by their syllabus, it looks like major topics include: React, AJAX, DigitalOcean/Heroku, npm, NodeJS, ExpressJS, SQL, MongoDB, ORMs, and Redis. All of that is in the first half, and then the second half is time used to work on several projects.

Meanwhile, A/A goes through a combination of Ruby/Rails and JavaScript. It's harder for me to pick out the most important topics from their syllabus because they list a lot more things than HR. I recognize React and Redux though. Then, similarly, there's lots of time for projects. Also it looks like A/A goes through some Algorithms material near the end in order to help prepare for interviews, and HR doesn't mention that.

So, I'm not sure if experience with Ruby on Rails and JS, or more in-depth experience with JS would be more attractive to employers. Any thoughts on which program sounds more attractive?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goatse Master posted:

Glad the thread is already talking about bootcamps because I came here to ask for help choosing between two. Earlier this year I took a free class from Stanford on programming in Python, and it didn't get too in-depth but I'd say it set a nice foundation for problem-solving and writing clean code. Along with that I've spent some time learning JavaScript along with some basic HTML/CSS. So now that I felt confident enough with my basic JS and programming skills, I applied to and got accepted by App Academy and Hack Reactor.

Any idea which one might offer better prospects of getting that first programming job? That's how I'm looking at these bootcamps; I know it won't matter much after that. I know both have pretty good reputations, and I'll be putting in a lot of time and effort whichever one I do.

Both bootcamps offer ISAs, so basically a tie regarding money. As long as I don't need to pay up front, I don't mind taking a salary cut when I'm getting into the career.

HR is 9/20 to 12/24, with a pre-class starting now leading up to it, while A/A is 8/30 to 12/17. So the dates are pretty similar but I suppose there would be more official class time with A/A.

It looks like HR's curriculum is entirely in JavaScript. Going by their syllabus, it looks like major topics include: React, AJAX, DigitalOcean/Heroku, npm, NodeJS, ExpressJS, SQL, MongoDB, ORMs, and Redis. All of that is in the first half, and then the second half is time used to work on several projects.

Meanwhile, A/A goes through a combination of Ruby/Rails and JavaScript. It's harder for me to pick out the most important topics from their syllabus because they list a lot more things than HR. I recognize React and Redux though. Then, similarly, there's lots of time for projects. Also it looks like A/A goes through some Algorithms material near the end in order to help prepare for interviews, and HR doesn't mention that.

So, I'm not sure if experience with Ruby on Rails and JS, or more in-depth experience with JS would be more attractive to employers. Any thoughts on which program sounds more attractive?

App Academy is pretty much known as the top bootcamp these days.

I did a Flatiron School bootcamp a while ago and currently looking for a job. The curriculum was pretty much the same as App Academy. Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, and React. Just know that bootcamps will teach you the basics, and you're expected to learn a lot more on your own. And expect to work for hours on labs/projects outside of the regular 9-5 that you're expected to work in. I'm pretty much still learning a bunch of new stuff when it comes to JS, even after graduating.

e-

I realized I didn't really answer your question. I would go for App Academy. Learning multiple frameworks and languages is good, you can focus on whichever one you think will be best after finishing. Also job assistance goes a long way.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 12, 2021

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

Romes128 posted:

App Academy is pretty much known as the top bootcamp these days.

I did a Flatiron School bootcamp a while ago and currently looking for a job. The curriculum was pretty much the same as App Academy. Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, and React. Just know that bootcamps will teach you the basics, and you're expected to learn a lot more on your own. And expect to work for hours on labs/projects outside of the regular 9-5 that you're expected to work in. I'm pretty much still learning a bunch of new stuff when it comes to JS, even after graduating.

e-

I realized I didn't really answer your question. I would go for App Academy. Learning multiple frameworks and languages is good, you can focus on whichever one you think will be best after finishing. Also job assistance goes a long way.

Thanks for the input! That makes sense that learning more frameworks would be helpful.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Goatse Master posted:

App Academy HackerRank stuff

Check my post history for a pretty detailed breakdown of my (and my wife's) process from A/a application to FAANG jobs. I can't comment on HackerRank, but happy to answer any A/a questions either in this thread or if you want to PM me.

I also blogged about the entire A/a experience here: https://stclairdanieldotme.wordpress.com/

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 12, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For what it's worth I've heard good things about HR too. Sounds like AA has a lot of positives but I don't think you'll go wrong.

Getting some MongoDB experience in a bootcamp is really nice though. But most important bit is:

Romes128 posted:

Just know that bootcamps will teach you the basics, and you're expected to learn a lot more on your own. And expect to work for hours on labs/projects outside of the regular 9-5 that you're expected to work in. I'm pretty much still learning a bunch of new stuff when it comes to JS, even after graduating.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I could use some help choosing between Coding Dojo and General Assembly. In this case, I'm looking at the data science and ML courses.

GA full-time, CD is part-time, and they are both 12-week courses, though I would treat either as full time and then some.

GA is $22.5K with ISA. CD is $7.2k, but without ISA. It offers loans with a three-month grace period after graduation.

GA claims 84.8% placement post-COVID (99.5% pre). CD claims 89.1% within 6 months and 95.3% within a year.

Both appear to offer the career support I need, and both have impressive placement rates vs. the other programs I researched (Lambda School and Thinkful).

It boils down to a gamble on a 7k loan vs. ISA for three times as much. Is there a difference in clout/weight between the two?

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

scandoslav posted:

I could use some help choosing between Coding Dojo and General Assembly. In this case, I'm looking at the data science and ML courses.

GA full-time, CD is part-time, and they are both 12-week courses, though I would treat either as full time and then some.

GA is $22.5K with ISA. CD is $7.2k, but without ISA. It offers loans with a three-month grace period after graduation.

GA claims 84.8% placement post-COVID (99.5% pre). CD claims 89.1% within 6 months and 95.3% within a year.

Both appear to offer the career support I need, and both have impressive placement rates vs. the other programs I researched (Lambda School and Thinkful).

It boils down to a gamble on a 7k loan vs. ISA for three times as much. Is there a difference in clout/weight between the two?

Not sure but to me CD sounds like a better deal. Use the part-time structure as a jumping off point and try to put lots of extra time in like you say.

Does anyone know why levels start at 3 for many tech companies? Like if you ask someone what the first level is maybe they would say 1 or 0 but... 3?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Level 1 is hourly positions like data center technicians and level 2 is interns and other short-term positions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

scandoslav posted:

Would you be able to get the same out of part time + your time spent vs full time? A lot of people would not. If you don't think you'd get the same thing out of it it's not really a choice anymore.

awesomeolion posted:

Does anyone know why levels start at 3 for many tech companies? Like if you ask someone what the first level is maybe they would say 1 or 0 but... 3?

Data Entry/typist roles used to be a lot more common when a lot of these things were designed, as well as hourly roles. In your case I bet 1 and 2 are mostly vestigial now.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ultrafilter posted:

Level 1 is hourly positions like data center technicians and level 2 is interns and other short-term positions.

This is hardly a universal truth. The career progressions at my company for FTEs start at level 1 and go to up to 5 (6 technically, but that’s like “software engineering principal fellow” for the two people who have been here thirty years and hand-programmed the first units we shipped). Intern positions and hourly positions are not on the same ladder.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are very few universal truths here, but that's the way Facebook and Google do it, and a lot of companies have copied them.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yeah fair enough, though All companies want to ape Google in some way seems to be a universal enough truth to be depressing. I would have guessed that those companies would have started at L3 because “we don’t hire juniors :smug:

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Go with the cheaper one. I got my start from a bootcamp and from what I saw there's just two tiers. There's the bad bootcamps and there's everything else. If you're not at a bad program going from a good bootcamp to a better one won't increase your chances of succeeding. They all have very similar curriculum and the people that succeeded in my program would've succeeded in any other program because of the hours and work they put in. It's all about your individual effort at that point, not if I pay 15k more they'll teach me something other programs can't. Oh actually there's a third tier, if there's a program that can offer a guaranteed internship that'd be worth that kind of money to me. An internship is career start easy mode though I don't know if there's any programs now that offer it.

From what I've seen bootcamps have very little clout if any at all. You're going to be interviewing off your github of personal projects when you're trying to find your first job, and then you'll drop it from your resume immediately after.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Thanks for the explanations, makes sense!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hey all, I posted earlier about bombing a technical interview. I must’ve done good enough in the soft skills interview because they are going to offer a position that’s more or less equivalent to the one I have now. I’m not sure if it’s worth switching.

Current job: hired in from bootcamp, made it to dev I. Great coworkers, so so management that I’m on decent terms with. College-like atmosphere which is not exactly a selling point for me, minimum amounts of work but it’s just writing endpoints and getting screwed by scope changes and bad deadlines. Very strict with regards to punching in and out, working a full day and zero work from home potential, even with a newborn at home. Could probably get dev II in 6 months, if I finish strong on the current project (read: put in 60 hours a week) was in big growth period but’ll probably top out at around 1k it personnel.

Potential job: like I said, no title bump, but it’ll probably be about 15% increase straight away, and maybe closer to 20% with bonuses. Same amount of pto, similar other benefits, same commute. Recommended by several friends who’ve been there over ten years. Currently on wfh, and plan on hybrid as a rule after the fact, which is pretty attractive. It’s the same or adjacent industry as my current job, and established in its field with around 300 it staff. The job description seemed pretty dang similar to what I’m doing now.

It’s really hard to decide. Is moving laterally a bad move? Should I stick it out until the title bump at my current place?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

meanolmrcloud posted:

Should I stick it out until the title bump at my current place?

Titles are irrelevant. Money and quality of life (in whichever order you choose to prioritize them) are what matters.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'll add that you can't really get back time with a newborn. They change so fast.

Good luck!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Thanks to you both. Its rapidly switching from a no-brainer, to being sad about leaving my great coworkers, and back again. This is also the mortgage industry, and I’m a little paranoid of going from 300 out of 1000 and pretty knowledgeable, to 301/304 with zero knowledge if a crash happens in the next year, but I guess you can’t really plan around that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cruise at your current place until the baby is older, spend time with baby now

Waited until baby was 8 months to switch jobs, no regrets. Wish I could have pushed it out until 12 months. Picking up a new job at the office with a newborn is hard due to the demands they place on you with sleep etc

downout
Jul 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hey all, I posted earlier about bombing a technical interview. I must’ve done good enough in the soft skills interview because they are going to offer a position that’s more or less equivalent to the one I have now. I’m not sure if it’s worth switching.

Current job: hired in from bootcamp, made it to dev I. Great coworkers, so so management that I’m on decent terms with. College-like atmosphere which is not exactly a selling point for me, minimum amounts of work but it’s just writing endpoints and getting screwed by scope changes and bad deadlines. Very strict with regards to punching in and out, working a full day and zero work from home potential, even with a newborn at home. Could probably get dev II in 6 months, if I finish strong on the current project (read: put in 60 hours a week) was in big growth period but’ll probably top out at around 1k it personnel.

Potential job: like I said, no title bump, but it’ll probably be about 15% increase straight away, and maybe closer to 20% with bonuses. Same amount of pto, similar other benefits, same commute. Recommended by several friends who’ve been there over ten years. Currently on wfh, and plan on hybrid as a rule after the fact, which is pretty attractive. It’s the same or adjacent industry as my current job, and established in its field with around 300 it staff. The job description seemed pretty dang similar to what I’m doing now.

It’s really hard to decide. Is moving laterally a bad move? Should I stick it out until the title bump at my current place?

I'd switch, unless you're really tied to your current position/company. It seems impossible to boost your salary without switching every 2 to 3 years unless your employer is giving 10%+ raises each year. In fact, one my recent employers offered me ~8% a bit back, and I started looking immediately and used that pay increase to boost my next employer offer. My pay raises over the last ~8 years average ~15% a year by changing companies every 2/3 years (sometimes less). If I had stayed at one company, and they were giving even 5% raises then my compensation increase would have been only 20% of what it actually has been.

The details you've provided about strict clocking and no wfh sounds like garbage to me. I would leave for the other company just because the new one seems to see the writing on the wall, show the ability to evolve, and be somewhat flexible. You will also learn a lot by going somewhere else; things that are more intangible and non-dev skills such as communication, devops practices, switching employers and starting with new teams, how much you actually like/dislike WFH and/or hybrid. Then there is the possibility to have more flexibility with a newborn which I'd find enticing.

downout fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2021

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

dantheman650 posted:

Check my post history for a pretty detailed breakdown of my (and my wife's) process from A/a application to FAANG jobs. I can't comment on HackerRank, but happy to answer any A/a questions either in this thread or if you want to PM me.

I also blogged about the entire A/a experience here: https://stclairdanieldotme.wordpress.com/

Thanks for this. I start my A/a bootcamp in September so it’s nice to know what to expect.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I want to try making some money coding, but not get a job doing it.

I did a bootcamp a few years ago and got 2 jobs doing it, but I basically self-destructed at the time for not entirely job related reasons. I don't really want to spend months building a portfolio and going through interview processes for jobs I don't want, but I was thinking I could put in a bit of effort and get some kind of extra income online. Is that unreasonable?

I know I can try Upwork, I did 1 job on there in the past, and there are other places like fiverr (although that looks like more of a hassle). So I've got two questions:

1. what would be the current stacks and/or specific areas I could spend a few weeks learning which are required by people who want a random freelancer to come in and work on a short term project. front or backend, i don't really care, although I am most familiar with c# and .net stuff.
2. other than upwork and fiverr are there other good spots online to setup for this?

I'm not looking to make loads of money or have this be a full time job. I'm talking a few hundred extra a month.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

roomtone posted:

I want to try making some money coding, but not get a job doing it.

I did a bootcamp a few years ago and got 2 jobs doing it, but I basically self-destructed at the time for not entirely job related reasons. I don't really want to spend months building a portfolio and going through interview processes for jobs I don't want, but I was thinking I could put in a bit of effort and get some kind of extra income online. Is that unreasonable?

I know I can try Upwork, I did 1 job on there in the past, and there are other places like fiverr (although that looks like more of a hassle). So I've got two questions:

1. what would be the current stacks and/or specific areas I could spend a few weeks learning which are required by people who want a random freelancer to come in and work on a short term project. front or backend, i don't really care, although I am most familiar with c# and .net stuff.
2. other than upwork and fiverr are there other good spots online to setup for this?

I'm not looking to make loads of money or have this be a full time job. I'm talking a few hundred extra a month.

My experience with those sites are that they are filled with people who have no understanding of technology or the costs and effort involved offering gullible amateurs a pittance to build software that it would take a dedicated team several months to accomplish. I'd avoid them unless I were desperate. Think of it like this: an experienced developer could easily charge several hundred dollars per hour as a freelancer.

You could try building an ad/micro transaction driven site or app that fills a niche or improves on existing offerings in that space. That's a bit riskier but could easily accomplish your goal with a bit of luck.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 22, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any advice for a recent bootcamp grad looking for a job? I've had no prior experience in software development and got a couple hits on my resume when I first started looking. I did interview with two companies but got rejections (one was a final round, and neither of them were coding positions, more like engineering support). I absolutely suck at ds and algorithms and have been trying to learn more for coding challenges.

I'm guessing it's gonna take a while to find a job.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

Any advice for a recent bootcamp grad looking for a job? I've had no prior experience in software development and got a couple hits on my resume when I first started looking. I did interview with two companies but got rejections (one was a final round, and neither of them were coding positions, more like engineering support). I absolutely suck at ds and algorithms and have been trying to learn more for coding challenges.

I'm guessing it's gonna take a while to find a job.

It can take a while to get your foot in the door. Two interviews is nothing. Keep practicing and applying. Once you get the first job, subsequent jobs are a lot easier.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Everybody sucks at ds and algorithms when they first start working through them. I'd recommend focusing on getting really good at array and string manipulation before doing any deep dive into anything else. Unless you're shooting for faangs where everythings on the table, a majority of entry level technical questions will focus on those two.

How's your portfolio? Do you have a personal github of code that interviewers can review?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My experience with those sites are that they are filled with people who have no understanding of technology or the costs and effort involved offering gullible amateurs a pittance to build software that it would take a dedicated team several months to accomplish. I'd avoid them unless I were desperate. Think of it like this: an experienced developer could easily charge several hundred dollars per hour as a freelancer.

You could try building an ad/micro transaction driven site or app that fills a niche or improves on existing offerings in that space. That's a bit riskier but could easily accomplish your goal with a bit of luck.

You're probably right. I shouldn't just repeatedly forget that freelance websites are generally not good places to find work because it looks like easy money.

I know Unity pretty well so I could build some things in that for the play/apple stores and see if I can get some income coming in from there. I'm going to set myself a week to get something simple and finished up on there with some basic ad integration. I haven't done that before.