Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

somepartsareme posted:

This is funny considering that in the original 999 there was no flowchart so you had to literally play the entire game again for every ending

I remember reading the LP here and the person doing it describing how they had to go through every puzzle and dialog every time and, yiiiiiikes.

So glad they not only did away with that in the sequels, but fixed it in the rerelease as well.

Still, the thing dragging the re-release down is that the third/first person difference between the top and bottom screen didn't have the same sort of effect when it's two different text boxes you needed to switch between. My friends and I played through the game and I think we only ever stayed in the first person dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the only good Sonic game is Turok Dinosaur Hunter because you get to go fast shooting dinosaurs and there'as literally no Sonic content in it.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Played Dark Souls 3 and then DS1 Remastered back to back, and I really, really dislike the obscure NPC quest design. There's some cool little stories in there that the average person will never get to see in their entirety if they don't consult a guide or play the games several times. I know this is likely the intention behind it (people figuring stuff out together bla bla), but I find it very annoying. You somehow made it through half of an NPC's questline without a guide, but you didn't go back to the obscure location from the beginning of the game to talk to them again and make sure they get exactly 56% damage from a certain enemy there while playing flute in your underwear? Welp, time to go to YouTube and watch what could have been.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FeastForCows posted:

Played Dark Souls 3 and then DS1 Remastered back to back, and I really, really dislike the obscure NPC quest design. There's some cool little stories in there that the average person will never get to see in their entirety if they don't consult a guide or play the games several times. I know this is likely the intention behind it (people figuring stuff out together bla bla), but I find it very annoying. You somehow made it through half of an NPC's questline without a guide, but you didn't go back to the obscure location from the beginning of the game to talk to them again and make sure they get exactly 56% damage from a certain enemy there while playing flute in your underwear? Welp, time to go to YouTube and watch what could have been.

I really hate that this is one aspect the Souls games that seems to be part of the genre, so to speak, and other games seem to also need to include obscured questlines that require either a guide or scouring every location after every significant event just to see if some npc has cropped up so you can advance their plot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
3's are easily the worst for being so delicate and precise. So many stupid ways to break things without realizing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

John Murdoch posted:

3's are easily the worst for being so delicate and precise. So many stupid ways to break things without realizing.

I'm pretty sure I broke Anri's quest in two different ways in my two different playthroughs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The good news is that most of these quests arent very rewarding

There are a handful that are very important. Progressing Sirris' quest halfway gets you the Silvercat Ring, which allows you to ignore non-lethal fall damage and even a few lethal falls. Extremely valuable.

Then there is how Siegward/Patches/Greirat's quests interact, and they have excellent rewards in the form of item vendors and rare upgrade materials and boss aid. It's easy to break, but so long as you avoid certain actions, you're mostly fine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sally posted:

the only good Sonic game is Turok Dinosaur Hunter because you get to go fast shooting dinosaurs and there'as literally no Sonic content in it.

The Sonic games would be better if they had extremely dense fog everywhere.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Horizon Zero Dawn generally does a good job of showing you where you can and can't climb.

Until you get to the collectables and certain side quests, then it's a game of running around hills until you find the right climbing point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Sonic games would be better if they had extremely dense fog everywhere.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sonic's equivalent of Pyramid Head is Ugandan Knuckles.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I AM SONIC

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've started replaying Neverwinter Nights 2 and the companion AI is driving me nuts. The biggest issue is when a character decides that they absolutely must attack one enemy, and will run through attacks of opportunity and traps and god knows what else to get to them. Often this enemy isn't even part of the current combat, but is just standing around in a corridor a hundred feet away, meaning you get dragged into another battle before you have time to prepare or make a plan or anything. If you tell them to stop by going somewhere else, they will walk halfway there and then turn around and go after that same enemy again. It's like leading a party of excited toddlers.

There's also no formation control like in most other CRPGs, if I move one character then usually the other party members will follow, or sometimes they won't. So sometimes your wizard gets to the fight first to discover that the warrior is still derping out halfway down the road with the cleric :argh:

I had a look and from what I can tell, all the mods people used to use on the AI were merged into the main game by the devs, so there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. I just constantly toggle AI on and off and use group select to go everywhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure I broke Anri's quest in two different ways in my two different playthroughs.

Relatedly, something that should help but often doesn't is that they did bother to sprinkle a handful of branch points into some of the questlines so that you don't have to do things in an absolutely specific way...but it tends to just confuse the player because now it's harder to clearly understand what's going on. IIRC, half of Anri's stuff is completely optional or has no bearing on their quest. Though maybe that's only if you're doing Lord of Hollows...

Phobophilia posted:

The good news is that most of these quests arent very rewarding

There are a handful that are very important. Progressing Sirris' quest halfway gets you the Silvercat Ring, which allows you to ignore non-lethal fall damage and even a few lethal falls. Extremely valuable.

Then there is how Siegward/Patches/Greirat's quests interact, and they have excellent rewards in the form of item vendors and rare upgrade materials and boss aid. It's easy to break, but so long as you avoid certain actions, you're mostly fine.

Siegward's is the worst because you can break it just by going down unmarked Path A before going down unmarked Path B. Needing to save up souls to buy his armor back from Patches is a real pace breaker too.

Greirat is interesting to me because a lot of people seem to think his quest ends with you telling him to avoid Lothric Castle, which isn't quite true.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Morpheus posted:

I really hate that this is one aspect the Souls games that seems to be part of the genre, so to speak, and other games seem to also need to include obscured questlines that require either a guide or scouring every location after every significant event just to see if some npc has cropped up so you can advance their plot.

Hellpoint was free on GOG a while ago and I finally started playing it the other day. It's a lower budget souls-like in space and I'm mostly enjoying it.

I found it really frustrating in DS and the other soulslike how terrible the in-game explanation is for stats or any mechanics, and always need to rely on wikis to understand how the game even works. Playing a soulslike that has a very small user base and therefore super limited wikis is really driving this point home.

I really have no idea how people played the DS games before there was a fleshed out wiki. There are open world games where exploring is fun, but wandering around the giant DS worlds not knowing at all where the game expects/requires me to go next just sounds super tedious.

No NPC quests so far though in Hellpoint, so I might be spared that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The one really weird thing I experienced in my brief time playing hellpoint is that if you go into co-op mode you automatically get a free copy of literally every item the host picks up, including one-per-playthrough items like the strength module upgrade chip.

I wanted badly to go around smacking things with the giant slow huge-damage pillar but it felt like it was almost impossible to get hits on the second boss with it without eating poo poo since the Boss's openings were shorter than the pillar's attack animation.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

jjack229 posted:

I really have no idea how people played the DS games before there was a fleshed out wiki. There are open world games where exploring is fun, but wandering around the giant DS worlds not knowing at all where the game expects/requires me to go next just sounds super tedious.
You poke around various corners, keep trying "roadblock" enemies until you are strong/skilled enough to win, and read the item descriptions on keys. It's not THAT hard to play a Soulsborne blind. Sure, you'll miss things, but that's for the inevitable replay.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've moved onto 40K: Mechanicus and it's been a really fun game so far.

My biggest complaint so far is the upgrade tree. Some of the first tier upgrades are really useful and can be easily picked up by everyone, but very few of the later ones have really caught my eye so I feel pretty aimless with what upgrades I'm picking.

The game also has random events during your gameplay missions. Something like 'You've found a strung up body, do you want to ignore it, examine it, or purify it from a distance'. A very minor gripe but the flavor text that is played after a decision does not seem to line up with the triggered effect. For example, in the above event if you choose to ignite the corpose the game will say that the explosion has awoken more necrons (which is a very real mechanic of the game and can be a result of these choices) but it'll give me 3 cognition points instead which I can use to shoot my big guns.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Simply Simon posted:

You poke around various corners, keep trying "roadblock" enemies until you are strong/skilled enough to win, and read the item descriptions on keys. It's not THAT hard to play a Soulsborne blind. Sure, you'll miss things, but that's for the inevitable replay.

Plus it's designed around the online component where people leave each other messages pointing to secrets and you can see a replay of someone dying to a tough enemy before you run into it

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

jjack229 posted:

You go in whatever direction you haven't gone before. If there are multiple options, you go down the one with the least-nasty enemies. And I always found the in-game stat explanations to be clear enough to know what to put points into, even if I don't know the math formulas or breakpoints or whatnot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Triarii posted:

You go in whatever direction you haven't gone before. If there are multiple options, you go down the one with the least-nasty enemies. And I always found the in-game stat explanations to be clear enough to know what to put points into, even if I don't know the math formulas or breakpoints or whatnot.

There are very few souls likes that nail the exploration though. Hollow Knight is about the only one not made by From where I felt I was actually exploring, instead of blindly stumbling around. And half the From games don't even manage it 100% of the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Triarii posted:

The in-game help is great up until it isn't, basically. They do give way more information than people assume at first glance, but there's always a degree of vagueness to it. Plus you get fun stuff like Resistance where there's no way to innately know it's a trap stat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So I've been playing The Forgotten City, which is an awesome game that I have spent a lot of time in. It's great so far, I feel like I am 90% of the way through it to solve its mysteries and be rewarded for it.

There's a subquest in the game that tells you, straight up, "If you don't like action/horror aspects of the game, you can skip this quest"

The game does put you through a pretty heavy action/horror section, but it's basically a questline that involves body horror in a game that already has you go through body horror poo poo to get the things you need to complete the game with the "best" ending anyway. I don't know how you get to the end without just stealthing through the body horror poo poo anyway. With the stealth being trial and error, as you can accidentally flash a flashlight on the things you're trying to avoid and then kiting an enemy through the body horror anyway.

The reward for this "optional" quest is by far the best item in the game to make loops through the timeloop require zero extra time. I can use this item to trivialize the resource management to expedite my trips through the loop, and make the action/horror sections WAY easier/less scary. It required slightly more immersion into the action/horror sections of the game that I don't think you can actually avoid, it's just that I opted out of doing it because I didn't want the action/horror sections. I then went through the required sections without the best item to trivialize them, before coming back to that "you don't have to do this" sidequest after ALREADY going through the same poo poo, but without the item to trivialize it.

So basically, if Patches asks you if you want to cheat a god out of their weapon, just loving go for it. It's not that bad and you're way worse off if you don't do it right away, rather than avoid the combat in the game. There's still combat, you just loving suck it at it unless you know to go to the baths right away after the person who warns you away from the baths hides in the wrong spot.

They even streamline it once you've done it once to explain away the plothole through a dude right outside of the timeloop. It takes two timeloops to accomplish, and now you have Step 1 of 2 to get the best item in the game. Then Patches will just comment on the item you have, and you can just go do that poo poo with him to trivialize the rest of the bullshit you have to go through. It honestly should have been signposted as "IF YOU SEE THIS QUEST, DO IT AND IT WILL HELP YOU BE A DIPLOMAT THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TIME"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lots of Zelda games have unwelcome padding, but I think Skyward Sword is the worst offender. Especially in the final third, when you've finally charged up the Master Sword and you're all ready to run in and take on the evil villain, but the game's like NOPE, first let's do a long collectathon, a long stealth sequence where you slowly recover your stolen inventory, and whatever the hell the third quest part is. When I loaded up the game at the start of all this today, I legitimately thought to myself, I'm most of the way through, do I really feel like dealing with this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There are very few souls likes that nail the exploration though. Hollow Knight is about the only one not made by From where I felt I was actually exploring, instead of blindly stumbling around. And half the From games don't even manage it 100% of the time.

People are always calling Hollow Knight a souls like but why? It's pretty much a straight metroidvania. I guess you drop your crap on the ground when you die, but that's a pretty pointless mechanic and it's also in, like, Diablo and old timey MMOs.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They both take place in a kingdom that's fallen to despair and disrepair, it's citizens shambling husks of their former selves, the nameless wanerer protagonist exploring for the possibility of reigniting a spark of hope.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elfface posted:

They both take place in a kingdom that's fallen to despair and disrepair, it's citizens shambling husks of their former selves, the nameless wanerer protagonist exploring for the possibility of reigniting a spark of hope.

So just the plot and setting then?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

People are always calling Hollow Knight a souls like but why? It's pretty much a straight metroidvania. I guess you drop your crap on the ground when you die, but that's a pretty pointless mechanic and it's also in, like, Diablo and old timey MMOs.

Souls games are 3D metroidvanias, hth

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HenryEx posted:

A lot of it is this, but there's also some big inspiration taken from both how you attack enemies (very strategically because each attack leaves you open if you miss) and how it handles healing (constantly readily-available, but finite, and slow enough that you have to do so carefully). It's easy to see where Hollow Knight took combat design from Dark Souls, rather than Metroid, Castlevania, or other 2D action games.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
dark souls famously known for needing to find items that unlock new traversal options

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

people do also call hollow knight a metroidvania. multiple adjectives are a thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Genre definitions are all bad hth

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Assassin's Creed is a 3D collectathon platformer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Philippe posted:

Assassin's Creed is a 3D collectathon platformer

Don't forget RPG

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HenryEx posted:

How do you figure?

Cleretic posted:

A lot of it is this, but there's also some big inspiration taken from both how you attack enemies (very strategically because each attack leaves you open if you miss) and how it handles healing (constantly readily-available, but finite, and slow enough that you have to do so carefully). It's easy to see where Hollow Knight took combat design from Dark Souls, rather than Metroid, Castlevania, or other 2D action games.

Combat in Hollow Knight is super similar to a lot of Castlevania games. I guess the healing is pretty different but it's also pretty different from Dark Souls since its refilled by attacking and you can't stock up much of it.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Aug 10, 2021

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Moon Monster posted:

So just the plot and setting then?

Can't that be enough? Dark Souls was a lot more than just bonfires and estus flasks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

dark souls famously known for needing to find items that unlock new traversal options

Yes? There's tons of gates in the series that require equipment in order to continue on, or otherwise require exploration before being able to continue past certain points of the somewhat-open world. It's just not the Double Jump, it's the Orange Charred Ring or the Covenant of Artorias or the Lordvessal or the Broken Pendant. Some of it is just finding secret side areas through thorough exploration. I would totally classify Dark Souls 1 as a metroidvania game, it ticks all the boxes as far as back-and-forth exploration in search of loot, secrets, and progress

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler or a non-scary survival horror game, not a metroidvania(where the keys being abilities is an important part). It's basically just single-character action Wizardry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

People are always calling Hollow Knight a souls like but why?

Game hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
gently caress Wulvers in God of War.

Doesn't matter what my timing is, I can never NOT get hit by their jump lunge attack. I see the red circle, so I know it's a "dodge" attack, not a "block" or "parry" attack but that doesn't seem to help.

Every time, they still hit me. I dodge early...nope. Dodge early TWICE? Nope. Dodge late? Oh, Hell nope.

Thankfully, they haven't (so far?) gated any regular game progression, just side stuff, but drat they're far tougher than the color fo their health bar lets on.

I've completed a few fights where all/some of the enemies are purple, so very high above me. The current Wulver fight, in on top of the Forgotten Caverns, are just two guys, one is an orange healthbar the other yellow, but they kick my rear end so fast it's absurd.