Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did Rothfuss claim he had the whole trilogy written when the first book was published or am I misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't know why people are so desperate for TWOW or ADOS, all you need to do is read my post history in this thread to see exactly what's going to happen. :smug:

If you'll excuse me, I need to go take my Prozac, because my brain is completely hosed thanks to OCD.
Hopefully I'm not oversharing, but I'm glad you had good luck with Prozac. When I took it, yeah, I didn't need everything on every surface of the house to be at right angles anymore before I could sleep, but I also didn't feel the need to get up and go to work, 'cause evidently I wired a huge chunk of my brain around the disorder.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did Rothfuss claim he had the whole trilogy written when the first book was published or am I misremembering?

As Rothfuss tells it, by the time he finished re-editing the first book, his revision and re-edit of the second book was actually more difficult than simply writing an entirely new novel, and now one can only assume he sees the third one as exponentially more difficult, compounded now by the fact that he sees it now as mostly juvenalia.

These were merely to be a prelude to other, mostly unrelated adventures; this was to be a tale of the causus belli for the current turmoil within this world - future stories were to relate different tales, with different players

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Watching the Always Sunny episode where they go to the waterpark, some genius guest casting of Benioff and Weiss as a pair of lazy stupid assholes who don't give a poo poo about anything

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Watching the Always Sunny episode where they go to the waterpark, some genius guest casting of Benioff and Weiss as a pair of lazy stupid assholes who don't give a poo poo about anything

Or that episode of Westworld where they take a concrete saw to Drogon because they're done with the "attraction" and need to destroy it and get outta dodge.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Went on a GoT youtube rabbithole at work today after not seeing the show since the final season.

drat the Bronn-Vardys fight was good. People always say the reason the early seasons had better action because they were more realistic but that's not even entirely why. Realism-wise, Bronn's whole tactic is based on a bullshit myth about plate armour, and Vardys at least is still trying the Star Wars-style blow trading instead of "real" combat. We get enough conceits to realism to make it visceral and feel real though. Like Bronn doing his coup-de-grace through an armour gap instead of just ramming his sword straight through the breastplate, which I'm pretty sure becomes commonplace by the end. Vardys' blood pouring over his fancy armour feels visceral too despite being practically tame by GoT violence standards. I end up feeling worse off for the randos horrified at seeing him get slaughtered more than I care about the randos getting burned up by Evil Dany later on, personally.

But more importantly I think is the unrealistic bits that actually end up making it feel more real. We're invested because we sympathize with Cat's anger, we know Tyrion is innocent, and we like Bronn because he's funny and cool and good at stabbin'. The fight does its real job of advancing a plot we want to see, and characterizing Bronn. It can be followed whether you know a single goddam thing about swordfighting or not.

Ultimately what makes that one duel vastly more compelling than the multiple finale battle episodes isn't that it's realistic, it's that it matters and you know what's going on. You don't stop to thinking about the mechanics of medieval dueling. With say, the bigbrain plan to charge headlong into the zombie army, it's the exact opposite. Nothing matters, no one important is at stake, and the plot is nonsense. That's why you get people who've never once considered medieval siege warfare realism having to notice poo poo like "Jon you fuckwit put the catapults inside the big castle," because what else is there to care about?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
S1 also has that fight between Jorah and the Dothraki guy where his plate armour is shown withstanding a slashing attack. It made for a nice change from the usual portrayal of plate armour being little better than tinfoil.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Drunk in Space posted:

S1 also has that fight between Jorah and the Dothraki guy where his plate armour is shown withstanding a slashing attack. It made for a nice change from the usual portrayal of plate armour being little better than tinfoil.

Also nicely consistent with a previous conversation where he literally says

"This Dothraki weapon will not go through plate armour."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This was also supposed to be foreshadowing about how this army, while it might be the scourge of Easteros or whatever, isn't necessarily going to do so well in Westeros against it's vastly different armies and in its vastly different climate.

But it ended up not mattering so oh well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like Bronn doing his coup-de-grace through an armour gap instead of just ramming his sword straight through the breastplate, which I'm pretty sure becomes commonplace by the end. Vardys' blood pouring over his fancy armour feels visceral too despite being practically tame by GoT violence standards. I end up feeling worse off for the randos horrified at seeing him get slaughtered more than I care about the randos getting burned up by Evil Dany later on, personally.

Yeah it really is incredible how people on the show understood these things (GRRM) and then later on the show just forgot them (GRRM stopped writing and D&D started writing)

You're absolutely right in that by the last season, most people die by being stabbed directly in the breastplate. And as you said, deaths also feel without weight or stakes and you're just less invested in everything later on because nothing is grounded and its just dumb hollywood shlock with no consequences.

In D&D's mind plate armor is just part of your uniform's aesthetic and doesn't really offer any protection.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean we're kinda starting off from a place where things aren't quite realistic because people are going into battle without helmets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean we're kinda starting off from a place where things aren't quite realistic because people are going into battle without helmets.

Case in point though, in said fight with Ser Vardis, he's wearing a helmet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Captain Splendid posted:

Also nicely consistent with a previous conversation where he literally says

"This Dothraki weapon will not go through plate armour."

And then in season 8 the Dothraki (who had died out a few scenes earlier) just cut through Lannister guards with chest plates like a hot knife through butter.

I guess the steel just kinda forgot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And then in season 8 the Dothraki (who had died out a few scenes earlier) just cut through Lannister guards with chest plates like a hot knife through butter.

I guess the steel just kinda forgot.

I don't know what Dany got so mad about losing all her troops in Episode 4, because it seemed like for every one of them that died at the Battle of Winterfell, four more spawned to take their place by the time she got to King's Landing. I'm surprised she didn't wind up with six dragons by the time Episode 5 started at that rate.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It also implies that they only sent a portion of their cavalry to do a big dumb charge, not even fully committing to their own plan. But not for the reason that it was a dumb plan, because then they would've scrapped it altogether you'd think.

So instead during this pivotal battle which is like, seconds away from being a total loss, they use their formidable cavalry reserve to do....

Oh right yeah, nothing. They don't even take part in the battle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is all very simple. Dany had negative gold per turn and just telling them to attack-move as a sacrifice allowed her to save up money, buy a bunch of economic upgrades, and the next tier of cavalry for her faction.

She should have just fast-teched to t5 in the first place and not over-expanded, but that's her inexperience for you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Cersei: Where's my elephants?

Announcer: YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Cersei: Where's my elephants?

Announcer: YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS

Cersei forgot that elephants take up 4 unit spaces on ship transports, and the golden company only had a few transport boats.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its wild how bad the writing for the battle of winterfell was. Its not even a matter of the tactics being stupid and nonsensical, sometimes upsetting medivalists is fine if it helps you do something cool, its that it creates the entirely unforced error of turning the entire episode into and endless stakesless melee. Its a seige, its the perfect environment to have a natural progression of tension and environments, but instead the walls get breached 20 minutes in and it becomes just an endless fight in the courtyard with no real concept of how one room connects to the next.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rezzing the lightning lord over and over for years so he can be store brand Hodor

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rezzing the lightning lord over and over for years so he can be store brand Hodor

SYMBOLISM

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If this was a god's plan it is a weak rear end loving god tbh.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They eventually loved doing the surprise knife/stabbing just out of screen so much you’d think the characters would start planning against that move specifically

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Man, imagine the Battle of Winterfell where Jon and Dany do everything right, where you have the undead funneled into a lane because they pre-dug a bunch of flame trenches, where the catapults are inside the walls firing flaming rocks nonstop, where the archers are on the walls emptying their quivers and calling for more, where the Dothraki are wheeling about doing the horse archer bit, etc. etc.

and it all still doesn't matter because the undead keep coming

way, way more effective way of portraying it, because this way the viewer is all "wow, they did all they could and it still wasn't enough to stop the Night King" instead of "I have played Medieval Total War once and could objectively do a better job than these idiots"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sam gets knocked over like 5 times and the person who helps him up always gets killed for it. I think him and Brienne spend more time being overwhelmed by the undead than actually fighting them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not a millionaire showrunner (or pair of them) but if I knew I was cutting out a major character getting resurrected I probably would've left the guy who has to give up his lifeforce for her out of the show after Ned orders him to take out the Mountain back in season one.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if Lady Stonehart was always getting cut or if that decision was made at a certain point. One of the earliest fake leaks I remember was a season ending on a Stonehart reveal

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bobjr posted:

I wonder if Lady Stonehart was always getting cut or if that decision was made at a certain point. One of the earliest fake leaks I remember was a season ending on a Stonehart reveal

Also when episode titles got revealed and for s3-6 we had (can't remember the order) Mhysa, The Children, and Mothers Mercy. All of which would have been great double-meanings for Lady Stoneheart showing up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cgi budget was already not enough to have both wolves and dragons, so I get why it was too much of a strain

But imagine if say, 5% of that budget was directed to flying in some stunt people from Central Asia to be dothraki, the folks that still practice crazy horse archer poo poo like landing ten bullseyes in a row while dangling one legged and sideways off a galloping horse

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Everything about the Dothraki charge is hysterical. Melisandre showing up to light their swords on fire, which they had no previous knowledge would happen, was a pivotal part of the strategy they didn’t know about.

The only “in universe” explanation is that the Dothraki were bait. To make the nightman think the living were already lost. However it makes no sense.

The second Dany and Jon saw the Dothraki swords ignite they should have been freaking out. They should have looked at each other panicking that their cavalry just were set ablaze. Instead Jorah charges. With Ghost who isn’t with Bran or Jon.

I excuse a lot of the episode for artistic license, but they saw their whole army set on fire and then charge into an undead mass. Either have the fire plan be known, or have Jon and Dany show some surprise.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost just laid down in the show and the undead couldn’t find him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It was a spectacle made for the audience. Not a story of plausible events unfolding between believable characters that we get to see.

This poo poo should count as fully breaking the 4th wall, and not in a good way.

Also why are you excusing anything of this episode as artistic license? It is such pure, unmitigated garbage.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Orange Devil posted:

It was a spectacle made for the audience. Not a story of plausible events unfolding between believable characters that we get to see.

This poo poo should count as fully breaking the 4th wall, and not in a good way.

Also why are you excusing anything of this episode as artistic license? It is such pure, unmitigated garbage.

Showing Sam falling over or being inept doesn’t matter. Having trebuchets outside their walls... dumb but okay. Doesn’t super matter because it doesn’t change unknown circumstances that were simultaneously planned. That’s why the Dothraki charge is so dumb. Them charging at all is really stupid anyways, but with the motivation given in the show it’s complete insanity. They charge either planned or because Melisandre. Jon and Dany don’t know she’s there. They just see 70% of their army ride off to die and have no reaction to it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I thought the lights blinking out as the Dothraki died was a cool little visual treat.

It also did a really good job of symbolically showing my hope for the rest of the show dying in real time.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

moosecow333 posted:

I thought the lights blinking out as the Dothraki died was a cool little visual treat.

It also did a really good job of symbolically showing my hope for the rest of the show dying in real time.

For sure. Just, either the plan was for the entire cavalry to charge with weapons that would do nothing into the complete darkness, or when they decided to charge with fire swords nobody was said to wait.

I don’t know how anybody looks at that storyboard and doesn’t slap D&D immediately.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I always thought that from the Lannister battle we were supposed to get the message that a Dothraki charge is unstoppable because of its sheer momentum, and this was the Super Mega Dothraki Charge which was 5 or 6 times the size of the one that smashed the Lannisters, and to boot against an army that is totally mindless, unarmed and unarmored and thus can't take any measures to counter it. We're supposed to assume that these horsemen will carve through the zombies like a hot knife through butter, like the Rohirim going through the Orcs at the climax of Return Of The King, except moreso. Granted, we know the zombies don't have moral and won't break, but they're going to be so hosed over by the speed and power of the horse charge, crushed underhoof and carved apart by those curved swords, that it won't matter, and that's all BEFORE the fire.

The reveal in turn is supposed to be that the Medieval General types couldn't even really fathom what fighting a zombie army really meant, despite having already done it. Every time they'd fought them they got overwhelmed, but there was always that idea that this problem was solvable if only they had more help. The scale by which they were outmatched by the zombies was never at a point where they couldn't imagine having won if only they'd had more people to help them fight. They're not invincible, they have weaknesses, we can beat them, its just a matter of our limitations because people aren't taking the problem seriously. They had thought the problem of the zombie army was at a scale comprehensible and opposable by a human being. In human army terms, the idea of a mass of people so large that it can stop a charging horse dead and rip it and its rider to shreds WITH THEIR BARE HANDS is a totally incomprehensible thing, and that's what fucks them over.

I'm not saying the show did a great job of making that make sense, especially in a post World War Z movie world that the audience was living in and having their expectations set by, but it think it was there.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sanguinia posted:

I always thought that from the Lannister battle we were supposed to get the message that a Dothraki charge is unstoppable because of its sheer momentum, and this was the Super Mega Dothraki Charge which was 5 or 6 times the size of the one that smashed the Lannisters, and to boot against an army that is totally mindless, unarmed and unarmored and thus can't take any measures to counter it. We're supposed to assume that these horsemen will carve through the zombies like a hot knife through butter, like the Rohirim going through the Orcs at the climax of Return Of The King, except moreso. Granted, we know the zombies don't have moral and won't break, but they're going to be so hosed over by the speed and power of the horse charge, crushed underhoof and carved apart by those curved swords, that it won't matter, and that's all BEFORE the fire.

The reveal in turn is supposed to be that the Medieval General types couldn't even really fathom what fighting a zombie army really meant, despite having already done it. Every time they'd fought them they got overwhelmed, but there was always that idea that this problem was solvable if only they had more help. The scale by which they were outmatched by the zombies was never at a point where they couldn't imagine having won if only they'd had more people to help them fight. They're not invincible, they have weaknesses, we can beat them, its just a matter of our limitations because people aren't taking the problem seriously. They had thought the problem of the zombie army was at a scale comprehensible and opposable by a human being. In human army terms, the idea of a mass of people so large that it can stop a charging horse dead and rip it and its rider to shreds WITH THEIR BARE HANDS is a totally incomprehensible thing, and that's what fucks them over.

I'm not saying the show did a great job of making that make sense, especially in a post World War Z movie world that the audience was living in and having their expectations set by, but it think it was there.

Except literally everything else in that episode was also insanely stupid so I give them no credit

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Piell posted:

Except literally everything else in that episode was also insanely stupid so I give them no credit

Also fair.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

You can't put a helmet on a fantasy main character. Aragorn didn't wear one and even in "historical" shows like Vikings the protagonists doesn't wear helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

You can't put a helmet on a fantasy main character. Aragorn didn't wear one and even in "historical" shows like Vikings the protagonists doesn't wear helmets.

On the flipside, if you do put a helmet on them you can easily swap the actor for a stunt man who can swordfight way better.

But nope, can't have that.