Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raygereio posted:

People have been yelling at GW that they should hire the really good creators like the dude behind the Astartes video, which lead to GW realizing that there might be market there. And now GW is publishing animations and it's "protect the IP"-time.

They did hire the guy behind Astartes. But I think he got harrassed into quitting by fans because he took the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Speaking of evil elves, I think its interesting how rough the start for morathi is, where so far the only survival strategy i've found is staying put in one province for dozens and dozens of turns, only occasionally going out to raid. Then you start hitting t4 and your one province is so profitable you're able to afford several stacks off of it alone and after that you are number 1 all the way and nothing can even come close to disturbing you.

That early game really is rough though, in vortex its even harder because they put sisters of twilight directly above you so you're pretty much boxed in on all sides by people who will declare war against you eventually.

I just finished a VH Vortex Morathi campaign and loving hell was it rough. My first ~80 turns were just spent spinning my wheels, losing settlements left and right. Even lost my capital province. It only turned around when I confederated Hellebron and completely abandoned the south, instead opting to focus on Har Ganeth and that juicy gold mine in Ghrond.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vargs posted:

I just finished a VH Vortex Morathi campaign and loving hell was it rough. My first ~80 turns were just spent spinning my wheels, losing settlements left and right. Even lost my capital province. It only turned around when I confederated Hellebron and completely abandoned the south, instead opting to focus on Har Ganeth and that juicy gold mine in Ghrond.

Yeah the way I did it is just staying near quintex because the building chain there is pretty ridiculous. Ambush armies that try to invade and when the coast is clear go and sack a neighbor before running back. It probably takes until turn 40-60 which is pretty late in a campaign, but from that point if you're building up a slave economy and have black arks to recruit from you dont need to invest in any military chains heavily at all, and dark elf armies can go really far with just spears and dark shards and bolt throwers anyways, so you can probably afford 3-4 stacks and start using them to expand safely and siege down your more entrenched neighbors.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

They did hire the guy behind Astartes. But I think he got harrassed into quitting by fans because he took the job.
Sodaz was the guy that was harassed by his fans. Syama Pedersen is the guy behind Astartes and he's fully onboard with GW.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talas posted:

Sodaz was the guy that was harassed by his fans. Syama Pedersen is the guy behind Astartes and he's fully onboard with GW.

Ok heard stuff that mixed it up, thanks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Could it be because the "good guys" are nazis?

I've not seen much Nazi apologia coming from the Orks :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the Runelord/smith aura that lowers missile and magic resistance stack with itself?

E: vvvvv yeah sometimes those abilities don't seem to make them negative, sometimes they do. Oh well. Thanks. Thorek vortex is fun so far if slow. gently caress Teclis.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 8, 2021

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Does the Runelord/smith aura that lowers missile and magic resistance stack with itself?

Similarly worded things do. It's only abilities that show up on the unit card that don't stack afaik. I have no idea if it makes resistances go negative though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mans posted:

I've not seen much Nazi apologia coming from the Orks :v:

Stormboyz are usually younger Orks who for various, inexplicable reasons, have grown tired of the normally anarchic lifestyle among the regular Ork boyz. Tired of being told that they can do whatever they want they seek the way to rebel against typical Ork lifestyle. Longing for discipline, these youths often run off to join a Stormboyz camp. This is particularly typical of the youths of the Goffs and Blood Axe clans.[1]

While at these camps the young Orks are drilled in marching and hurtling through the air, a regimental lifestyle that these Orks can become easily addicted to. It may be due to their chosen lifestyle that Ork Stormboyz have an actual respect for authority rare in Ork Kultur. Unlike most Orks, Stormboyz also take planning and forethought very seriously. Such information as strength and location of the foe are used by the Stormboyz to determine how best to orchestrate their attack.[1]

Other Orks usually view all this parading, boot-polishing and voluntary obedience with amusement or even contempt, but despite their strange ways, the Stormboyz are a serious force on a battlefield. Always eager to show their prowess by putting their battle-drill into practice they use their Rokkit Packs to strike at vulnerable targets, predetirmined by a kunning plan.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jay Rust posted:

Is total War Warhammer 2 the best total war game? I have limited experience with Warhammer and total War in general but I do love me some total War Warhammer 2, is it worth checking out the other games in the series?

total war warhammer is easily the most replayable total war but certain elements are very simplified by comparison.

i loving love three kingdoms total war and will recommend it to everyone.
it adds a great layer of wheeling and deeling in diplomacy and is the first TW game where diplomacy is actually fun and powerful. within the course of a single campaign you'll be making and breaking alliances, giving a warlord your prized horse to shut down that front in a hellwar, offering yourself as a vassal to a stronger ruler for protection, selling that ruler so much food they become reliant on you and you withdraw it and invade them while they starve

its also just got genertal improvements to the way units move and fight on the battlefield, everything is quicker and more responsive and more lethal. cavalry will run right over unbraced infantry but braced spears will reflect the charge damage back and instantly break elite cavalry

but its "solved" much faster than warhammer is, i'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes cavalry charges that make a minotaur blush or played dynasty warriors though

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

Is arch the SFO owner?

No, he's some toxic content producer dipshit who used to go by ArchWarhammer but was so publicly vile that GW told him to remove the Warhammer part of his name or get hosed by. A former CA PR dude famously insulted him during the PR dude's retirement stream.

Steel Faith was the original modder of SFO until he got pushed out for being a white supremacist. AFAIK he's pretty much vanished from the scene entirely

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Stormboyz are usually younger Orks who for various, inexplicable reasons, have grown tired of the normally anarchic lifestyle among the regular Ork boyz. Tired of being told that they can do whatever they want they seek the way to rebel against typical Ork lifestyle. Longing for discipline, these youths often run off to join a Stormboyz camp. This is particularly typical of the youths of the Goffs and Blood Axe clans.[1]

While at these camps the young Orks are drilled in marching and hurtling through the air, a regimental lifestyle that these Orks can become easily addicted to. It may be due to their chosen lifestyle that Ork Stormboyz have an actual respect for authority rare in Ork Kultur. Unlike most Orks, Stormboyz also take planning and forethought very seriously. Such information as strength and location of the foe are used by the Stormboyz to determine how best to orchestrate their attack.[1]

Other Orks usually view all this parading, boot-polishing and voluntary obedience with amusement or even contempt, but despite their strange ways, the Stormboyz are a serious force on a battlefield. Always eager to show their prowess by putting their battle-drill into practice they use their Rokkit Packs to strike at vulnerable targets, predetirmined by a kunning plan.

That's quite a stretch considering they're jump pack infantry much like assault marines. Encase you've missed it, assault and storm are often interchangeable so orks copying marines and calling themselves storm instead of assault is extremely plausible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arghy posted:

That's quite a stretch considering they're jump pack infantry much like assault marines. Encase you've missed it, assault and storm are often interchangeable so orks copying marines and calling themselves storm instead of assault is extremely plausible.

Have you never seen the original stormboy models? It wasn't subtle satire.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I fail to see how a green sentient fungus wearing some SS gear is all of the sudden making them be extremely fascist. Any war/history nerd is gonna see storm and immediately jump to german assault troops, does this all of the sudden mean that GW is secret neo nazis? poo poo have you seen a game shop where they literally create SS troops for the WW2 dioramas?

There's definitely closet neo nazis who likely have made an ork army and threw SS stuff on there because they likely have a swastika flag in their room but as a company i don't think GW made the stormboyz model line with neo nazi intent. As peepshow properly put it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxS1H7oqrSI

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You are the stupidest motherfucker in this forum and that says a lot

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha and you are a reactionary who's getting mad at video games.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Stormboyz don't look like Nazi's anymore.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
stormboyz are nazis and it’s funny and good

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Orks are supposed to be based on football/sports hooligans, so some Orks being infatuated with Nazis is clearly just extra authenticity of the source material. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 9, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wait, I thought you guys were joking and making up fake descriptions, this is real?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait, I thought you guys were joking and making up fake descriptions, this is real?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The stormboyz are young nazi punk cosplay orks that the other orks think are weird for not being right proper orky, yeah.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I get suspicious of anyone who uses potato mashers.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Arghy posted:

I fail to see how a green sentient fungus wearing some SS gear is all of the sudden making them be extremely fascist. Any war/history nerd is gonna see storm and immediately jump to german assault troops, does this all of the sudden mean that GW is secret neo nazis? poo poo have you seen a game shop where they literally create SS troops for the WW2 dioramas?
They are definitely a nazi reference but GW also makes their nazis into football hooligan orks who are purely destructive in nature which is not exactly a glowing portrayal of nazis.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
well yea the whole "orks don't have much nazi stuff going on" was a joke because the original poster was obviously referring to how much nazi poo poo is in the Empire

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i would really like more non-poo poo warhammer content, i liked astartes and would like to see more but 40k in general is a big eeeeeh no from me. warhammer fantasy tho is fuckin great

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ammanas posted:

i would really like more non-poo poo warhammer content, i liked astartes and would like to see more but 40k in general is a big eeeeeh no from me. warhammer fantasy tho is fuckin great

Maybe they will release some cartoons for you to watch when the whale hunting game launches in 2030.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ammanas posted:

Have you ever played Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2? It's pretty great, it's got a turn-based campaign with real-time battles, like a Total War game with huge spaceships. Ork spaceships specialize in ramming, of course.

What's the recommended strategy for dealing with cavalry-heavy armies as Dwarfs? I ran into Nakai in my campaign and he had 8 horned ones in his army, and I had trouble avoiding getting my slow little guys flanked. The strategy that eventually won me the battle was forming my shielded melee into the rough, thin outline of a pentagon with archers and artillery in the center (most facing forwards) and great weapon melee reserve right behind the shields.

I took heavy losses though. I was thinking it might have been better to form my ranged into a line sandwiched between outward-facing melee.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mechanicus is also a good video game. It's slightly simplified XCOM about robbing the tombs of terminator robits.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

William Bear posted:

What's the recommended strategy for dealing with cavalry-heavy armies as Dwarfs? I ran into Nakai in my campaign and he had 8 horned ones in his army, and I had trouble avoiding getting my slow little guys flanked. The strategy that eventually won me the battle was forming my shielded melee into the rough, thin outline of a pentagon with archers and artillery in the center (most facing forwards) and great weapon melee reserve right behind the shields.

I took heavy losses though. I was thinking it might have been better to form my ranged into a line sandwiched between outward-facing melee.

There's two strategies I can think of offhand for dwarves to fight hard and mobile armies. The first is to get real gamey with it, stack up in a corner of the map and be unflankable due to map geometry.

The other, less gamey, strategy is to use battle lines effectively. Form a basic square or circle, with melee units checkerboarding around to prevent easy flanks and close on and unit's that try and break through. Then inside the square are your weaker pieces, like artillery, guns and bows to shoot out. Back these guys up with slayers, who really chop up the kind of big units that can break through a heavy battle line. Dwarves are heavy and immobile, so finding a defensible spot and sitting on it is generally the best play. From there you gun down the biggest enemies, and try to position slayers to chop up any cavalry or big boys that break through to your gun line.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

William Bear posted:

Have you ever played Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2? It's pretty great, it's got a turn-based campaign with real-time battles, like a Total War game with huge spaceships. Ork spaceships specialize in ramming, of course.

It really depends on your army comp. If you have enough artillery you can thin out their cav on its way in, and like Onehandclapping said you can checkerboard to have melee units be most-in-the-way so your ranged not-artillery can still shoot out and also can then shoot anything that gets into melee with your melee infantry.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He does what to Grobi?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He does what to Grobi?

Look, man it’s just part of their culture. You wouldn’t understand.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He does what to Grobi?

Hmmm...does kink shaming go in the grudge book?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He does what to Grobi?

it means headbutt

bloody horny yanks mucking up good honest slang

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
oh no it grimgrog

halp what do

how kil grimgrog???

2 tuff

scarry!!

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
No no no, you see you didn't walk your dwarf lord up to Grimgor and fight it out in honourable 1v1 combat. Like you're SUPPOSED to in warhams. Jeez you don't get this game at all do you?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

"Grimgrog" made me laugh an unreasonable amount being honest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scandalous posted:

oh no it grimgrog

halp what do

how kil grimgrog???

2 tuff

scarry!!

This post just made my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
But if you mod Grimgor to 100MA/MD/MR then a dwarf lord can't beat him, dwarves need a rework.