Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ryuujin posted:

For the simple bypassing a locked door/cage/etc the Shadow Monk is much better so long as there are any shadows at all, and there usually will be some. Everything else is way too limited in use to even begin to talk about.

Shadow Monk / Twilight Cleric multiclass is the real mvp combo for this, you can emanate a 30ft aura of dim light as a twilight cleric which lets you just teleport anywhere within 15 ft with the monk ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: annoying player habits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ubr6xMwlg

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The Echo Knight is really good because they get the defensive benefits of being at range with the offensive benefit of melee attacks. The whole appeal of the subclass is to forever kite without being at major risk of getting hit compared to a typical martial melee character. It's why an echo knight build with sentinel is so good. Only the first part of sentinel works with the echo, but it basically means that you can lock an enemy from advancing. If they attack your echo instead, that's a win and they've wasted an action on your bonus action echo. Add on 3 levels of AG barb for disadvantage against creatures other than you while you're in the back line and they'll have an even harder time trying to hit your echo in the first place. Reckless attack is also really good on it for advantage on your GWM attacks because you don't have to worry as much about the advantage on attacks against you since you can be further away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've been working on an 8th level character to replace one that's definitely going to die soon -- I was planning pure Artificer but now?

Echo Knight 4/Battle Smith 4 with Sentinel and either +DEX or +INT and just really gently caress around with not having enough bonus actions per round

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I came in here a few weeks back, you all were very helpful with advice and resources, and I found a group of people locally to try to play together with (via discord due to Covid but still!).

So thank you all, the DM is cool with me running my Drunken Master monk, and I'm very pleased with the whole situation. Something to do with Icewind Dale, I have very little idea what that's about, but I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ryuujin posted:

I never understood people going on and on about Echo Knight. It is really really bad. It was so bad I had to go and make homebrew to fit the concept and not be so bad. The concept is good, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. But some people seem to really think it is powerful for some reason.

Just about the only thing even remotely good about it is the swap places ability, but it requires a bunch of setup and actions, or rather bonus actions and movement, and has a very limited range. For the simple bypassing a locked door/cage/etc the Shadow Monk is much better so long as there are any shadows at all, and there usually will be some. Everything else is way too limited in use to even begin to talk about.

It probably seems powerful because it is pretty new. A fighter that teleports??? :aaa: Producing an unlimited amount of anything can also be alarming. In the right circumstances the parade of echos could divert huge damage away from the PCs. People get upset about "too many" good berries too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FFT posted:

I've been working on an 8th level character to replace one that's definitely going to die soon -- I was planning pure Artificer but now?

Echo Knight 4/Battle Smith 4 with Sentinel and either +DEX or +INT and just really gently caress around with not having enough bonus actions per round

Take a 1 level dip in wizard and you can get a familiar too. It won't be useful, but having your steel defender and echo at your side while the owl familiar and Homunculus Servant swoop around overhead would be super cool. :razz:

"Who wants to take first watch?" "Don't worry about it, my swarm of tireless pets can handle it."

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Echo knight is good because it’s on a fighter, shadow monk means you’re playing a monk in 5e and nobody wants to do that

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

He is not the only echo knight in the world.

This would be a cool campaign hook. You are the only [unusual class] in the world. No one has ever seen or heard of this before and you are infamous.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

It probably seems powerful because it is pretty new. A fighter that teleports??? :aaa: Producing an unlimited amount of anything can also be alarming. In the right circumstances the parade of echos could divert huge damage away from the PCs. People get upset about "too many" good berries too.

goodberries can be annoying for survival campaigns that dont use gritty realism but if you are not doing that in a survival campaign what are you even doing? reckless. foolish. there was a middle earth book which had good travel rules but 5e out of the box really doesnt do anything with travel which is a shame as exploration of fantasy space is the best part of the genre to me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kung Food posted:

The way I conceptualize it is that the conjured animals are comprised of "fey matter" that only exist in the physical realm through expending magical energy. A severed limb would still be composed of the same fey matter as the main body and would shift back once the magic of the spell runs out.

This is how I do it as well. The way I see it summoning spells are just Astral Projection in reverse.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

FFT posted:

Why not a 5/3 level split? Passing on Extra Attack for an ASI seems odd.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Staltran posted:

Not the OP, but with the blade cantrips in the mix, I see it as six of one, half a dozen of another. The full math has been done to death elsewhere, but iirc it's pretty close. I'd probably go for the ASI too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Staltran posted:

Getting your intelligence to 20 helps with your spells and cantrips too, I’d probably do 4/4 first honestly

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Echo Knight is cool and good because it gives you a unique and flavorful ability on top of the regular stuff Fighters get (extra attacks, Action Surge, all those extra ASI/Feats). Baseline level "I am good at making enemy HP go down", plus a nice little bonus trick that you can do a million things in and out of combat with.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i like to play champion fighters because i love when i critically hit. i clap my hands and get real excited

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

change my name posted:

Reflavoring that as being possessed and the echo knight is the ghost in your body would actually be a great fit for Strahd, I would totally run with it if I ever play that one

My Warforged Echo Knight had an echo that was his previous human form.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I rolled a Bladesinger Wizard, anything cool I should be on the lookout for spellwise?

Not going to be frontline, but the AC bump is cool, and movement will be fun rather than bog standard Wizard stuff.

I have Shield and Absorb Elements to try and bump my survive-ability. I don't need to be MIN/MAX master. Dumb fun things work too if anyone has played one before.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Athanatos posted:

I rolled a Bladesinger Wizard, anything cool I should be on the lookout for spellwise?

Not going to be frontline, but the AC bump is cool, and movement will be fun rather than bog standard Wizard stuff.

I have Shield and Absorb Elements to try and bump my survive-ability. I don't need to be MIN/MAX master. Dumb fun things work too if anyone has played one before.

what level are you working with? expeditious retreat and thunderwave are great for first level, find familiar is just all around good too if you want to have a cat

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The usual good poo poo for wizards all holds, web has been a consistent party saver for mine (bladesinging still makes you better at concentration!) and misty step is slightly more useful than usual which is a ludicrously high bar.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

pog boyfriend posted:

what level are you working with? expeditious retreat and thunderwave are great for first level, find familiar is just all around good too if you want to have a cat

Just starting out. Level 2.

So far I have:
Absorb Elements
Burning Hands
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Shield
Thunderwave

(Will grab the standard Identify, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages at some point for RP)

Was thinking about Blur and/or Mirror Image for more survivability, but not sure how much spellbook I want to dedicate to living vs doing fun things/damage. Misty Step too. Will probably grab Mobile Feat at 4 so I can run EVEN FURTHER and misty step if needed.

Maybe I grab Web and/or Grease and run around the battlefield making it harder for everyone else to do so.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Just starting out. Level 2.

So far I have:
Absorb Elements
Burning Hands
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Shield
Thunderwave

(Will grab the standard Identify, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages at some point for RP)

Was thinking about Blur and/or Mirror Image for more survivability, but not sure how much spellbook I want to dedicate to living vs doing fun things/damage. Misty Step too. Will probably grab Mobile Feat at 4 so I can run EVEN FURTHER and misty step if needed.

Maybe I grab Web and/or Grease and run around the battlefield making it harder for everyone else to do so.

too much focus on defense can be really bad at lower levels due to limited slots. later on these are greater picks but when 1st level spells are actually impactful you want as little of them to be defensive as possible. expeditious retreat is poorly named because you use it to run up and attack people but misty step is just great utility all around. you may want to consider the spell sleep as it is broken at low levels

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't focus on mobility too much, bladesong already gives you 40 ft and that's generally enough, especially if you don't intend to go into melee. Mobility is nice to have, but it's more important you have something effective to do once you get where you want.

Otoh if you really want to go hard on movement you could grab longstrider. I wouldn't recommend it but if that's what you'd enjoy...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Athanatos posted:

Booming Blade / Green-Flame Blade
Shocking Grasp for hit and run
Lightning Lure because repositioning never gets old

Shield ofc
Shadow Blade because it's rad as heck

Haste

Misty Step and Dimension Door

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
Shield/Absorb and Mirror Image is plenty of defence that will stay good all 20 levels and doesn't eat your concentration.

Even though you're not planning to be frontline, Shadow Blade is worth a look. A bladesinger can mess people up with it, and you'll be swinging at people with your Mobile feat anyway.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I came in here a few weeks back, you all were very helpful with advice and resources, and I found a group of people locally to try to play together with (via discord due to Covid but still!).

So thank you all, the DM is cool with me running my Drunken Master monk, and I'm very pleased with the whole situation. Something to do with Icewind Dale, I have very little idea what that's about, but I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

I have little to add to this post other than :hfive:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Real UK Grime posted:

Shield/Absorb and Mirror Image is plenty of defence that will stay good all 20 levels and doesn't eat your concentration.

Even though you're not planning to be frontline, Shadow Blade is worth a look. A bladesinger can mess people up with it, and you'll be swinging at people with your Mobile feat anyway.

The shadow blade can also be thrown :getin:

radlum
May 13, 2013
How do you roleplay a Warforged character? I was thinking of playing one in the next game my DM is starting but I was wondering how "robotic" should I play the character, so I could use some suggestions.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

radlum posted:

How do you roleplay a Warforged character? I was thinking of playing one in the next game my DM is starting but I was wondering how "robotic" should I play the character, so I could use some suggestions.

depends on the story you want to tell.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

Are you playing an Eberron Campaign? If not, there's a lot of interesting ways you can flavour it to make sense. Ie. Soul trapped in a suit of armour a la Fullmetal Alchemist, wizard's/arcanist's experiment that became self-aware and play it like Data, or even just like your character put on a cursed suit of armour that is now permanently fused to you or something, I dunno.

So, to answer your question, with all those flavour choices, there's nothing saying it has to be robotic at all. Even in Eberron, they are depicted as having the full range of emotions, they're just not able to manipulate their faces to make expressions like the meat sacks can.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

radlum posted:

How do you roleplay a Warforged character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

radlum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd9dmYHsOa8

But like people before me said, nothing is locked in on how you have to RP. Do something fun, enjoyable and not annoying for the rest of the table and roll with it. Dexo is right, start with the story you want to tell and develop from there.

I remember hearing someone with a Warforged background of being a Sentient weapon a wizard put in a Warforged body. Not robotic, but getting use to having a body and having to actually speak for people to hear them...and having more than one person able to hear them at a time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

radlum posted:

There are no hard limits on their social skills, physical abilities or emotional development compared to normal people, so it is wide open. You could first season TNG Data, curious and naive (after all, you might only be 2 years old). Or maybe you're that first season Data after another 20 or 30 years, you've made friends and learned to fit in very well. You could have been designed as a killbot who then spent 20 years on the front lines constantly killing everything in front of you and now you're basically a Dalak. Or you could have been built as a robotic

What did your creator want when they built you? Did she want a tool that would stand silently in a corner until given orders like a golem? Did she want you to be able to fit in with a squad of humanoids, maybe be a jolly mascot figure? Maybe she wanted you to be able to do infiltration missions so you move and sound exactly like a humanoid - add a hooded cloak or a disguise self spell an no one will suspect you're a warforged.

What kind of killbot do you want to be?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

radlum posted:

It depends on how much you want. Eberron Warforged actually have a large range of reactions to their existence and freedom.

All of them experience emotion (though their faces don't really show.) Their level of commitment to joining and embracing humanoid culture varies wildly. Some throw themselves into it and try to fit in. Some feel alien and want to be apart. You can be introspective about your existence, do you have a soul, what does it mean to be a living weapon who now has self determination? Or you could just be happy that you make your own choices and that questions of metaphysics are pointless next to just living and having experiences.

Your typical sentient robot tropes can work if you want but even the most stiff and humorless Warforged has emotions, though they can still be naive about navigating them. If your want to go "robotic" try to err closer to Spock than Data.

That said, you could just as easily roleplay one as Bender from Futurama.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just to throw out another suggestion, and also because I enjoyed the books, you might check out the Murderbot Chronicles, which is a sci-fi series about a security cyborg that manages to break free of the programming its creators put on it. They end up as introverted, used to being ignored, preferring communication over text/voice lines instead of face-to-face, but also with finely-honed instincts to protect "clients" from themselves and any external threats. There's plenty of grappling with what their old programming says they should do vs. what they want to do. Especially early on, they're not used to having free will.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

One thing we leaned into for Warforged back in the early Eberron days was that they didn't sleep, and everyone else around did... so how do they fill that massive amount of alone time night after night? So we usually tried to think about some solo hobby or interest that most Warforged would develop and virtually master. An adventurer who is also a prolific writer or artist or musician would be interesting and could inform a lot of personality aspects.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

radlum posted:

My warforged had a broken vocoder, so he communicated through beeps and boops (aka a harmonica).

The idea was to just let the other players interpret for me a la Chewbacca, but I had to dip on the campaign before that really started to take off, sadly.

It was fun to play the CHARGE riff (like you would hear from the organ player at a sports event) just before giving the rogue in the party commander's strike.

It seemed like a fun gimmick. HK-47 always seems like a good back up option if you're out of ideas.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In a short Eberron game I played, the warforged artificer's player found a robotic vocoder and used that. His character was just built and he played it kind of like an over-enthusiastic puppy. One fun concept might be a warforged bard with accordion lungs; the ultimate polka machine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I always had a vague notion of a sort of prissy, low STR C3PO personality type warforged, maybe a sorcerer or wizard because someone accidentally installed a high power mana core in a protocol construct

A hook for the character could be that those who made the mistake are eager to fix it by reclaiming the core, and he is on the run from them. After all, he needs that thing to live, and he has no loyalty to people who are out to kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

change my name posted:

In a short Eberron game I played, the warforged artificer's player found a robotic vocoder and used that. His character was just built and he played it kind of like an over-enthusiastic puppy. One fun concept might be a warforged bard with accordion lungs; the ultimate polka machine

Alternative: get good at beatboxing.