Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was able to get my Boomer father to have a moment of clarity two weekends ago when we were driving back from Philly after going to this helicopter museum on 495 going around Wilmington as I said, "look at the windshield and tell me what you *don't* see."

We hadn't had a single bug splatter the entire trip up or entire trip back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
215 ain't bad, if you get some merv13 filters you can tape them to a box fan for a diy air purifier. If you keep your place closed up it'll make a noticable difference inside.

This plus a p100 respirator when I had to leave the house was what got me through the week of 400+ aqi last summer here in Oregon.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

215 ain't bad...

good lord man you should know better than to do this gatekeeping normalization poo poo

215 is "very unhealthy"

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was able to get my Boomer father to have a moment of clarity two weekends ago when we were driving back from Philly after going to this helicopter museum on 495 going around Wilmington as I said, "look at the windshield and tell me what you *don't* see."

We hadn't had a single bug splatter the entire trip up or entire trip back.

It's been that way for a long time. I remember as a kid in the 90s car would be wrecking with insects. I've not seen many in my adult life.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

MightyBigMinus posted:

good lord man you should know better than to do this gatekeeping normalization poo poo

215 is "very unhealthy"

I meant not bad as in you can mitigate it with diy solutions not go run around outside rawdogging as much air as you can into your lungs u dumb dumb

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just another day in California.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I meant not bad as in you can mitigate it with diy solutions not go run around outside rawdogging as much air as you can into your lungs u dumb dumb

yes people who have to go outside are dumb dumbs

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
which is why i shared info on how to go outside? can u read?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MightyBigMinus posted:

yes people who have to go outside are dumb dumbs

That’s very clearly not what he’s saying, come on now

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1424012359119478795?s=19

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

poo poo is much more hosed than we thought.

https://www.afr.com/policy/energy-and-climate/world-to-hit-temperature-tipping-point-10-years-faster-than-forecast-20210805-p58g7u

quote:

World to hit temperature tipping point 10 years faster than forecast

A long-overdue report by the world’s climate scientists will on Monday reveal that global warming is accelerating faster than thought, with temperatures set to punch through the critical 1.5 degrees Celsius threshold by the early 2030s, a decade earlier than anticipated just three years ago.

The faster trajectory in the planet’s average temperature gains means the timeline for governments and businesses to plan for an uncontrolled surge in catastrophic fires, floods and droughts is narrowing to less than a decade.

The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) much-anticipated report on the latest physical science on climate change follows a year-long delay caused by COVID-19 and is now set to paint a stark backdrop ahead of global talks in November.

IPCC authors are expected to warn there is a greater than 50 per cent chance the world’s temperatures will rise above 1.5 degrees Celsius within the next 10 years, according to sources briefed on the report’s contents.

In 2018, the IPCC said the threshold was likely to be breached between 2030 and 2052, which put the mid-point a decade later than it now expects in its core scenario.

The modelling is set to generate a fresh wave of alarming global headlines and will intensify calls on the world’s biggest emitters to ramp up efforts at decarbonising the global economy at the UN’s Glasgow climate summit in November.

Under the 2015 Paris Agreement, countries agreed to limit global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius and push for efforts to hold it to no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius.

[...]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think we can do better.

+2C by 2030 let's goooooooooo. :smithicide:

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Pretty sure anyone who has been paying attention for the past decade has been well aware that things were more hosed than gov/ngo were willing to let on.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Quorum posted:

Related to the Greenland melt, it looks like the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation is showing (some more) very concerning signs of instability:

Fun fact! The last time this circulation system shut down, it was involved in and may have caused the Younger Dryas, a cold period about 12,000 years ago which probably drove humanity to abandon early attempts at sedentism and crop cultivation!

this article says decades or perhaps centuries, but given how much faster everything is happening than predictions, I expect the UK to be a frozen wonderland by next year

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

shirunei posted:

Pretty sure anyone who has been paying attention for the past decade has been well aware that things were more hosed than gov/ngo were willing to let on.

It's literally the same poo poo over and over.

"Hey guys, things appear to be much worse than we predi-"
"Nah, your models/data/whatever are just outliers! Look at these other models we have, most of us agree that their projections are far more reasonable!"
A few years pass, things do indeed get more dire
"Hey guys, things ARE getting much worse much fas-"
"Nah, your models/data/whatever are just outliers! Besides we can't tell people poo poo might be hosed, they'll just panic and give up! Or they will think we're alarmists and stop taking us seriously!"

It's almost as if there's something in the human brain that absolutely refuses to accept that cataclysm might be — might be — just around the corner, and instead chooses to believe that it'll be a slow deterioration and decline over a long time period.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hopefully the acceleration of poo poo hitting the fan will be faster than the technological advancement of autonomous drones that that the ultra rich are banking on to help protect them in their New Zealand bunkers.

Other wise, all of the people who you paid to build those bunkers AND all of your guards know where you live and sleep, and will hopefully just come take all of your poo poo from you when you go to hole up in and "ride it out."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Slow News Day posted:

It's almost as if there's something in the human brain that absolutely refuses to accept that cataclysm might be — might be — just around the corner, and instead chooses to believe that it'll be a slow deterioration and decline over a long time period.

Yes normalcy and recency biases are both ubiquitous thinking errors

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

quote:

a decade earlier than anticipated just three years ago.

lmao.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm guessing people have already forgotten last year's Mega Derecho. People have mostly forgotten the 2012 "Super Derecho" here in the DC area.

Now with the weakening jetstream, ever more powerful storms will be able to take their time loving everything up in their paths!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shirunei posted:

yes, but if you ever mention that you get called alarmist lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
A little over 5 hours until the next report. I wonder how dire this one is going to be?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

hooman posted:

A little over 5 hours until the next report. I wonder how dire this one is going to be?

My money is on "not nearly as dire as it ought to be" as is pretty much always the case with IPCC reports.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1424644916831981569?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If governments don't turn up to COP26 ready to ban crypto, then they might as well not turn up. Not that crypto mining is currently a huge percentage of global emissions, but it's such low-hanging fruit that is a good indicator of whether Capital is willing to make even the tiniest concessions to reality.

Let's just say I'm not optimistic

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Slow News Day posted:

It's literally the same poo poo over and over.

"Hey guys, things appear to be much worse than we predi-"
"Nah, your models/data/whatever are just outliers! Look at these other models we have, most of us agree that their projections are far more reasonable!"
A few years pass, things do indeed get more dire
"Hey guys, things ARE getting much worse much fas-"
"Nah, your models/data/whatever are just outliers! Besides we can't tell people poo poo might be hosed, they'll just panic and give up! Or they will think we're alarmists and stop taking us seriously!"

Ars Technica went through some climate skeptic predictions which may be a useful reference.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/08/a-look-back-at-very-bad-predictions-of-global-cooling/

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What are some good measures i can implement now so that i am not eaten by backwoods cannibals when the inevitable climate wars begin?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

toggle posted:

What are some good measures i can implement now so that i am not eaten by backwoods cannibals when the inevitable climate wars begin?

form significant local ties is really the only worthwhile answer that gives any chance of helping out in an extended scenario

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

toggle posted:

live with someone who runs slower

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

mediaphage posted:

form significant local ties is really the only worthwhile answer that gives any chance of helping out in an extended scenario

This. If civilization does collapse living alone in a shed in the countryside is the worst possible thing you can do so of course a lot of preppers plan to do exactly that. Catastrophe and war is a driver of urbanization for a reason.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

This. If civilization does collapse living alone in a shed in the countryside is the worst possible thing you can do so of course a lot of preppers plan to do exactly that. Catastrophe and war is a driver of urbanization for a reason.

Can you give me any historical examples of this occuring? Most that I can think of indicate the opposite: fall of the Indus Valley civilization, contraction of the Uruk phenomenon, late bronze age collapse, Fall of the Western Roman Empire, plague of Justinian, the Black Death, the Mongol Invasion. They all decreased urban population and development, sometimes drastically for centuries after. I agree that living alone in the woods is a recipe for death, but living in a large city as the wheels come off the complicated system that supports it isn't much better. I think small, well connected communities are probably the best bet as they can be more self sufficient and flexible. If they have the right mentality that is.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

toggle posted:

you can enjoy your life and turn off the internet, and when the cannibals come knocking just give over your flesh freely, knowing you lived a live full and free and carbon positive

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Griffen posted:

Can you give me any historical examples of this occuring? Most that I can think of indicate the opposite: fall of the Indus Valley civilization, contraction of the Uruk phenomenon, late bronze age collapse, Fall of the Western Roman Empire, plague of Justinian, the Black Death, the Mongol Invasion. They all decreased urban population and development, sometimes drastically for centuries after. I agree that living alone in the woods is a recipe for death, but living in a large city as the wheels come off the complicated system that supports it isn't much better. I think small, well connected communities are probably the best bet as they can be more self sufficient and flexible. If they have the right mentality that is.

Well I would stick with modern examples such as Somalia.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Well I would stick with modern examples such as Somalia.

I don't know if modern examples would really capture the magnitude of the systemic shock we should expect. For the last few centuries there haven't been any systemic shocks that affected the entirety of an interconnected region (e.g. the Mediterranean world and Europe during the Black Death). You might have a country here or there fall into chaos, but there was external support or forces acting on any individual collapse (like the latter half of the 20th century). For large scale events, like WWI or WWII, you still had strong central governments that were still functioning and able to keep the system running (such as maintaining food distribution to cities) and had strong incentives to do so (maintain military production). In the event of strong civil structure I could see how staying in the cities during the 21st century has benefits, as there would be strong collective action to maintain some level of order and minimum standard of living. However, the past 5 years have given me little reason to expect that much of Western governance (or at least the US) is capable of actively managing large-scale, systemic problems. If we're having this much trouble getting people to take a bloody vaccine, how am I supposed to believe that the US can adapt to quickly shifting weather patterns that would necessitate altering long-standing food production methodologies? Or what about water utilization and conservation, or power generation? South-western US is in the midst of a water crisis, but is also a major fruit and vegetable producer, and there seems to be no major discussion about reconciling those two mutually exclusive facts.

I could see some argument that regionalization could occur and consolidate and disburse civil authority more effectively in some areas over others, such as how New England started to organize Covid efforts last year. However, the fact remains that, in aggregate, cities require a lot of support and organization to maintain and there seems to be a decreasing level of ability and/or desire to do so. Now add onto it that, at least in the US, there is a political schism between cities and rural areas that could lead to additional neglect of cities, either through policy initiatives or grass-roots boycotts or worse. Another question is how robust our distribution networks are, as some of the large metropolitan areas do not have a lot of local farmlands that could readily sustain them. What happens if you have a few large crop failures such that national exports cease and some internal exports decrease (e.g. loss of multiple wheat crops leads to a drop in flour production or other staples)? Would states/provinces that are net producers try to hold onto production and leave other states to fend for themselves? I'm not saying this would happen all at once or over night, but I think 5th Century Rome (the city) is a good example of what might happen: slow but steady decline as individually small problems keep accumulating in the absence of anyone solving them. Rome still stood at 500 AD, but it was a shadow of what was there in 400 AD.

Also, I don't know if Somalia is a good example, as according to wikipedia they are 80% nomadic pastoralists, with a large amount of economic activity fueled by remittances from the diaspora, in addition to external support from the AU and UN. How stable would Mogadishu be in the absence of all this external support?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pobrecito posted:

My money is on "not nearly as dire as it ought to be" as is pretty much always the case with IPCC reports.

It was pretty dire. What do you want them to do? Tell everyone that maybe, if we're lucky, some small human communities may survive? Man I feel like i'm being pulled every which way by this poo poo, you've got the head in the sand people who just think it'll be ok, and then the 'well meaning alarmists' who are starting to sound just like the billionaires with their declarations that there's nothing to be done, keep spending.

Messaging is very important and I don't care how 'real' you think 'we have to go back to 2000 humans living in caves' is, there's absolutely no point in the IPCC putting that out there.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The truth is if you dont got a large extended family, you are hosed. Blood is the only thing you can trust in desperate times like those. Thats why you flee the cities to your ancestral home i assume?

I assume the fancy city folks will run to their dumbfuck cousins in middle america when there is no electricity because..

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Femur posted:

The truth is if you dont got a large extended family, you are hosed. Blood is the only thing you can trust in desperate times like those. Thats why you flee the cities to your ancestral home i assume?

I assume the fancy city folks will run to their dumbfuck cousins in middle america when there is no electricity because..

You have it backwards. Desperate times are a major driver of urbanization. Out in the wilderness there's a much greater chance that roving groups of bandits will murder you and steal everything you have, then murder your extended family and steal everything they have.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Today is a big day for climate, the IPCC Released their new Sixth Assessment Report and it's over a thousand pages. Carbon Brief has a decent summary. It is important to note this is just from Working Group #1 which essentially just the science or how climate changes works and it continually confirms what we already knew that greenhouse gases emitted by humans are the cause. Personally, I'm more interested the next WG Reports that'll dive into risks, mitigation and adaptation. Those should be out in about a year.

https://twitter.com/IPCC_CH/status/1424654466566037504

https://twitter.com/CarbonBrief

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we’ve literally been talking about it for days

it’s not really a big deal for the climate unless you view this as a turning point in our reactions which we all know it won’t be because capital and conservative media (often but not always the same) will downplay it

relatedly i was lolling pretty hard at biden making a declarative statement about climate change today on twitter

i mean how many permits have you awarded this year you nimrod

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Let's commission even more studies! I'm sure sooner or later the complete sociopaths who run the uber-conglomerates that make billions and trillions killing the planet are suddenly going to start caring! :shepface:

Maybe it'll only take four score and seven more!

They'll crack soon, just you ping watch! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The media I hear is all focused on 2 degree increase. If nothing changes, what increase do we get? And what if the Paris agreement is achieved?

Im guessing, bad (how bad?) and not enough?