Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i want cards hurry up adventure stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cyrn posted:

Completely disagree. The gameplay loop of corruptions is 'now that you have more stuff, different corruptions might be better, so experiment and see' and requiring hours for feedback on whether 'something else' is better is inherently in contradiction with the core design of corruptions. This slowly becomes more of a problem as you progress into corruptions but eventually you need hours of realtime per one ingame second and that feedback loop is completely broken, requiring you to run multiple instances of the game with different corruption setups to have any basis to compare things.

You are at SD5 (the 3rd number) and a few weeks away from seeing what Jhet is talking about, the problem starts to appear at SD6/7 and becomes seriously bad at SD8+. For example: I am currently testing whether SD8 or SD9 is better. I have to run two browser instances to do this and I will have absolutely no idea until I end the runs tomorrow whether the few dozen seconds of ingame time that passed in SD8 was better than 1-2 seconds of SD9.

The thing about the time dilation corruption is that it basically makes time pass almost normally, pass very slowly, or not pass at all depending on how what other upgrades you have unlocked that make time pass faster. Like you're technically correct that it takes hours for 1 in-game second to occur with some levels of it, but at that point you're doing a run where none of your progress depends on in-game time passing so it kind of doesn't matter. Maybe across an ascension you're gonna let run for 3 days it might matter, but the general loop is 24 hour ascensions (in real time) unless you're saving up for something specific.

The game doesn't require you to do that kind of min/maxing at all. I know this because I haven't done it. My progress has been just fine (a little slow at the beginning of platonic cubes like Jhet mentioned, but not so terrible). So yeah I think it's important to note that your complaints about the game revolve around things you chose to do.

I also don't understand why you need to run two browser instances. The game has manual save/load and extremely generous offline progress. So even in the case that you want to do the kind of min/maxing you're talking about you're making a save with one set, making a save with a different set, and then just checking them later. It's fiddly, but not even that onerous. The game doesn't require you to even run one browser instance of it most of the time, let alone 2.

pixaal posted:

The discord totally tries to convince you you need to do that stupid wait an hour bullshit thing to get over the wall, I just kept doing my own thing it took longer (probably a month instead of a week) but I didn't have to do bullshit I didn't want.

There's something interesting (and deeply disturbing) that the thing that seems to have convinced people Synergism needed the Discord to play is the Discord itself. I encountered a similar thing in the non-goon channels on the NGU Idle Discord. I stopped paying attention to the Discord at the beginning of Evil (now in mid-Sad) and it's been much better for my mental health. That experience is also what convinced me to not look at guides or the Discords for Synergism and FE000000.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 1, 2021

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Aurora posted:

i want cards hurry up adventure stats

I want adventure stats, hurry up cards

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

Kin posted:

For Sadistic NGU, i've pretty much just been using my mayo for adventure stat cards (yeeting everything else for extra Mayo).

I was wondering if i'm actually gimping myself a little and should instead maybe be focusing on QP/PP/Wishes or something. My rationale for adventure stats is that it's generally the most important as far as i'm aware so figured the direct boosts to them daily was the best use for the cards.

The things I've seen are cast Hack to 450%. Wish to 1,000%. Get card recycling/mayo quirk/perk and chonker cards. You should be yeeting crappy to meh cards. This will keep your mayo up. Also at some point you'll have to start casting E/M NGU cards. I kept Wish/Hack/Adv/PP tagged until basically last week (I'm at RLv1). Subbed out Hack @ 450% for QP. Once wish is 1K% I'll probably just leave it on Adv/PP/eNGU/mNGU. Casting hack cards will improve your hack days which also (should) bump your adventure stats.

Wandoos/Daycare/AD/TM/Gold/Aug I only cast if its a high cost Great/Hot drat card.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

inspire posted:

The things I've seen are cast Hack to 450%. Wish to 1,000%. Get card recycling/mayo quirk/perk and chonker cards. You should be yeeting crappy to meh cards. This will keep your mayo up. Also at some point you'll have to start casting E/M NGU cards. I kept Wish/Hack/Adv/PP tagged until basically last week (I'm at RLv1). Subbed out Hack @ 450% for QP. Once wish is 1K% I'll probably just leave it on Adv/PP/eNGU/mNGU. Casting hack cards will improve your hack days which also (should) bump your adventure stats.

Wandoos/Daycare/AD/TM/Gold/Aug I only cast if its a high cost Great/Hot drat card.

If you're only at RL1, you may find you'll want more hack speed later. It just keeps dragging out. You can get most of the wishes you need with much less than 1000% in cards, but it really doesn't hurt. PP/QP are super useful, and the NGUs are really useful for getting to BB them. I'm nearly to Amalgamate, and you can never have too many Adv cards. But I tend to run low on Mayo constantly, so I have to be really picky about what to cast. I tend to only cast Good and better cards anymore, except for Adv cards. And that's with most of the mayo speed upgrades.

Basically, Cards are annoying because if feels like you're leaving bonuses and yeeting them into the sun, but picking and choosing for what you need at that moment is where everyone ends up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

inspire posted:

Perfect, thanks for the steer. I'm miles away from those stats so that's a helpful milestone to break up the daily rebirth monotony.

So far I've been casting all rarity cards for adv. I didn't realise there was much of a difference in output as I've seen crap cards have bigger boosts than hot drat cards.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's boost-per-mayo efficiency that you're looking for, which the higher rarity cards give more of. Tag slots are a priority AP purchase also, with maxed tag effect you should be getting something like 90% of your cards in tagged boosts (when using all 4 tags) and getting more rolls on adv/perk/quirk/hack cards (and especially chonkers) will help get those boosts up faster. I'm at Av2 and still yeeting everything Okay and worse. Once you reach the point that you've bought all the useful one-time AP purchases, mayo infusers are also a good idea - use one right before popping fruits, and set an alarm for the next day so you can get 2 sets of fruits off under one infuser.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

ErIog posted:

The game doesn't require you to do that kind of min/maxing at all.

I also don't understand why you need to run two browser instances. The game has manual save/load and extremely generous offline progress.

It's a puzzle game where figuring out strategies as you go along is the puzzle. The cool thing about the these sort of games is the progression mechanics basically automatically tune the difficulty for whatever amount of puzzleness the player wants. You want to figure out what is required to keep progressing at a reasonable pace and it is working for you. I want to figure out which of my (working) solutions to the corruption puzzle is actually better and it is not working well for me. Telling me 'you don't have to solve *that* puzzle' is basically the same as someone telling you 'you don't have to play without discord.' People find fun in these games in various ways and when a game mechanic breaks a kind of fun that has been in the game up until that point, it's fair to criticize that mechanic.

For example, you could be rightly critical if months/years into playing the game some new content forced you to get daily codes from discord in order to boost a multiplier. Someone who argued 'the game doesn't require playing without discord and it's just how you choose to play the game' would similarly not be engaging with the point.

I haven't tried the offline progress since the (very recent) switch to day-long runs with one ant sac at the end, but since offline progress ignores configured autoresets it has been essentially useless most of the game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
NG Space Company:

What sort of reset bonuses do you eventually get? Anything for autobuying so won't have to use scripts?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Rynoto posted:

NG Space Company:

What sort of reset bonuses do you eventually get? Anything for autobuying so won't have to use scripts?

Looking through the discord a bit, at the very least there's autobuying storage expansion, but I don't think you get it for at least 2-3 resets or something (still haven't reset once myself yet).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Seems a shame. Just passed the 200 mark on Dyson Segments and it's gotten pretty boring just waiting on Titanium at 24k/s.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Rynoto posted:

Seems a shame. Just passed the 200 mark on Dyson Segments and it's gotten pretty boring just waiting on Titanium at 24k/s.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same spot and this part of the game seems pretty dire. From what I've seen in the discord it might get better past the first reset but I feel like 200 would have been a good point to let me prestige.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cyrn posted:

It's a puzzle game where figuring out strategies as you go along is the puzzle. The cool thing about the these sort of games is the progression mechanics basically automatically tune the difficulty for whatever amount of puzzleness the player wants. You want to figure out what is required to keep progressing at a reasonable pace and it is working for you. I want to figure out which of my (working) solutions to the corruption puzzle is actually better and it is not working well for me. Telling me 'you don't have to solve *that* puzzle' is basically the same as someone telling you 'you don't have to play without discord.' People find fun in these games in various ways and when a game mechanic breaks a kind of fun that has been in the game up until that point, it's fair to criticize that mechanic.

For example, you could be rightly critical if months/years into playing the game some new content forced you to get daily codes from discord in order to boost a multiplier. Someone who argued 'the game doesn't require playing without discord and it's just how you choose to play the game' would similarly not be engaging with the point.

I haven't tried the offline progress since the (very recent) switch to day-long runs with one ant sac at the end, but since offline progress ignores configured autoresets it has been essentially useless most of the game.

Your analogy doesn't really hold. You're making specific claims about how the game works, and then complaining about them. I'm trying to point out that I don't think the game works how you're saying it does. The kinds of things you're saying about running multiple browser instances, spatial dilation corruption, resets, and offline progress don't track at all with my understanding from having the played the game pretty heavily and doing some light efficiency testing on my own.

What you're saying about offline progress is really wild. I've never heard anyone say that. It really makes me wonder if the way you've chosen to play the game has actually made it much slower for you to progress. Synergism is definitely a game where, unless you've tweaked your browser settings (prevent background tab throttling, preventing background tab sleep), offline progress runs faster and more efficiently than having the game actually running. At the part you say you're at I don't see what kind of "resets" are necessary for progression.

You should really test your assumption that offline progress is "essentially useless."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 6, 2021

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Rynoto posted:

NG Space Company:

I quit pretty much straight after resetting because i had a choice between some pointless early upgrades and some useful lategame ones (T5 buildings),
and pretty much nothing that would speed up the process of getting back to T4 buildings. There are automation upgrades in the *second* reset tier but that felt like it would be about 5x as long as my first reset to reach so wasn't super interested.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah I'm starting to come around to it not being that fun, especially as I've still got Evolve idle ticking away which scratches the same itch while being much deeper. Shame though, it has an interesting premise.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, I'll keep it rolling while I'm doing a 4-star Antimatter Electrophobe run. It is the Year 460 and I'm just breaking into Andromeda. :sigh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Eh, I'll keep it rolling while I'm doing a 4-star Antimatter Electrophobe run. It is the Year 460 and I'm just breaking into Andromeda. :sigh:

Antimatter is the absolute worst :sigh: Spent as little time as possible there even with a full custom race. Loss of most of mastery hurts so much.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ng space company is fun so far, imo. has evolve iterated enough to make it worth playing if i got as far as completing the LHC once before?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

LHC being the World Collider? Did you enter into the next two tabs that end with a Black Hole reset? Because there's two other reset tiers after that, with at least one major mechanical fiddly bit each. Without scripting it's a slow burn but with the wiki listing the achievements like this https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/wiki.html#list-achievements its really easy to choose some small task to aim for. Challenge genes also let you gear the speed of the game; I tend to stay at Silver because without the Plasmids production boost it feels glacial.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Aurora posted:

ng space company is fun so far, imo. has evolve iterated enough to make it worth playing if i got as far as completing the LHC once before?

It has gone significantly past that stage with the two reset tiers mentioned above, another reset currency, and tons of achievements for mastery.

The absolute endgame right now is climbing the tower of the lord of hell, killing him, sacrificing all of your people and taking his place as the immortal demon lord

There's also a new automation script that doesn't require a forked version and is very powerful. The dev himself also seems to be coming around to automation as one of the newest additions was 'governors' which you can assign tasks to for automating simple things.
Automation Script

Sage Grimm posted:

I tend to stay at Silver because without the Plasmids production boost it feels glacial.

I can't imagine not doing 4*. What sort of mastery bonus are you at that plasmids are still a major source? Are you running Ent in there? Slavers from custom? There are so many sources of bonuses now and that shiny gold star makes the achievement screen look good.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 6, 2021

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

General mastery is at 171.36%, other universes hover around 15% (micro) to 25% (heavy). Plasmids are giving me 60% base while anti-plasmids are adding on 48%.

I might simply be set in my ways at this point.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
That's fair enough then if you just prefer silver.

With that said if you're worried about pace then slavers alone will completely replace that 60% plasmids on Ascension+ runs while the passive plasmids you get after the run starts will put you into the ~25% range so you're really not losing too much speed. Antiplasmids are unaffected.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm currently doing a bunch of 3* ascensions to fuse harmony crystals. You might say "that's stupid, 4*s aren't that much slower" but since I'm not just custom-racing everything they actually do seem significantly slower. Once you're all templed up those starting plasmids turn into like, +1500%, which I don't think any level of mastery is going to effectively replace.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Well yeah? For the infusion mastery achievement you only need to do one of each genus at 4* then speed running the rest on 3* or lower is great - you can even cheat this if you want with a custom of each said genus. Same with farming blood stones on 4* Micro. Just for mastery hunting I don't see why a bit of extra time isn't worth that bling star :v:

In the end it's a desperate desire for collectionism which is why I'm currently doing 4* infusions for every species just for a feat :shepicide:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The pursuit of achievements is a personal journey, it seems. =p It's been a good conversation though, one that got me questioning early assumptions.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I also got back into Evolve relatively recently and using the automation script to passively grind out plasmids and then manually going for whatever achievement I feel like at my own pace makes for a very nice experience. There’s really no pressure to play optimally which is already much better than a lot of other idle games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hope the Halloween one gives you pumpkin icons. I wanna have little gold pumpkins instead of stars.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Decided to start playing evolve again after that automator was posted and hey looks like I lost my save so I'm starting from the beginning and oh my god I forgot how slow titanium/alloy are before you have all the boosts.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The soul gem grind is still the most annoying, even at 200/hr

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Listen, Evolve is my favorite incremental of all time, but I'm done waiting for soul gems, and you can be done too!

code:
 document.getElementById('statsPanel').__vue__.r.Soul_Gem.amount += 10000000 

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Garfu posted:

Listen, Evolve is my favorite incremental of all time, but I'm done waiting for soul gems, and you can be done too!

code:
 document.getElementById('statsPanel').__vue__.r.Soul_Gem.amount += 10000000 

So... for a dummy, how do you use this?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Nea posted:

So... for a dummy, how do you use this?

right click inspect, find console, put in console

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
F12 brings up the Console (you need to select the Console Tab at the top) in both Chrome & Firefox.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
lmao "From the company that brought you Clicker Heroes II, here comes Cookie Clicker! Now* on Steam!"

*September 1

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Toshimo posted:

lmao "From the company that brought you Clicker Heroes II, here comes Cookie Clicker! Now* on Steam!"

*September 1

At first I thought this meant Orteil sold Playsaurus the IP for cookie clicker, but they're just publishing it it seems.

I kind of don't understand why they even needed a publisher for this :confused: Does it have a big update with Microtransactions coming to it or something?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Marketing, help with making a gameplay trailer, being part of a publishers catalogue for increased visibility perhaps?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
ed: solved my own problem.

Nea fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 10, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Manyorcas posted:

At first I thought this meant Orteil sold Playsaurus the IP for cookie clicker, but they're just publishing it it seems.

I kind of don't understand why they even needed a publisher for this :confused: Does it have a big update with Microtransactions coming to it or something?

Maybe to be lazy / avoid the paperwork and publisher bond for operating on Steam? I'm pretty sure you get that back after you generate Valve enough to cover it twice basically giving you a discount. I'm also pretty sure it's a tiny amount like $200. Anyone with an actual game should be able to afford that. Hell your beta tests should be willing to front you it through patreon or what have you if you have a half decent product.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Who the gently caress is going to pay money to play cookie clicker? From what I understand it's the exact same game as is available on the web. What kind of move even is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Who the gently caress is going to pay money to play cookie clicker? From what I understand it's the exact same game as is available on the web. What kind of move even is this?

it's free bro calm down