Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
thanks, got Hermes done. now to kidnap Thanatos and make him speak to his brother somehow. I’ve only seen it happen once in 98 runs so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Last Celebration posted:

also you need to buy Hypnos a special couch to sit on, which probably trips most people up cause yeah.

Ugh, what

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What kind of monster are you if you didn't do that as soon as you could? Did you also have a hard time fulfilling the requirement to pet Cerberus enough times to unlock their heart levels?

Look after your brothers, mang.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it doesn’t say the couch is for Hypnos, I only had it cause I was sprucing up the great hall. it just says nice couch for the great hall

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is Hermes' Swift Flourish special attack speed boon actually good for the Zeus Shield?

This is something I've been milling about every time I use the zeus shield and I'm finally starting to think that no, Swift Flourish is bad. The epic Swift Flourish 30% definitely makes the shield move faster, and I assume it makes the shield 'hit' more frequently but I really can't tell the difference in that respect. The whole problem is it makes the shield move faster and I don't think that's good, there's 3 ways to deal damage with the Zeus shield special

1) Aim and throw at enemies.
2) Recall and rodeo enemies behind you to eat the shield AOE as you move/dodge.
3) Toss the shield at a wall/barrier and dance around it without recalling while enemies move within the AOE to attack you.

If Swift Flourish increases attack speed/movement speed at the same rates then the damage is equivalent when thrown towards enemies, but it still has downsides with really no upsides. I guess Swift Flourish is good if there is some enemy just standing still next to a wall? That's not really a thing though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It depends on your playstyle, using it as a yo-yo or kiting it while you run through enemies is pretty good but the real damage comes from throwing it to to it’s stopping point unless what you’re fighting is super zippy so it’s a lateral move IMO.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
OK I loving suck at catching fish. I think I am too old and my reflexes just suck now. I have caught over 150+ fish and apparently I've never gotten a legendary. Any tips?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Skyarb posted:

OK I loving suck at catching fish. I think I am too old and my reflexes just suck now. I have caught over 150+ fish and apparently I've never gotten a legendary. Any tips?

If it's dipped 3 times already the 4th has to be the catch. Also listen for the sound rather than looking for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Skyarb posted:

Have you got perfect catches yet? Because that's as close as you'll get to a legendary otherwise. Perfect Catches aren't guaranteed legendary just a higher percentage chance. I get these pretty regularly but I've yet to get the Asphodel legendary, despite having gotten 3 sturgeons already. It's a weird numbers game.

That said two things that help:

1) If the fish has nibbled already 3 times, then they will bite the fourth and you can reel it in very fast. It's matter of seeing them miss 3 times and knowing whenever it happens next you tap.

2) Try looking away from the screen and just pumping up the volume (headphones help), and using your auditory reflex. I find this is faster for me. While you train yourself your liable to miss a few fish as it's a bit easy to at first mistake the nibble for a bite.

I've said it before, but there's nothing more disappointing in this game than missing a fish or worse missing the fact that there was a fish.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Perfect Catches aren't guaranteed legendary just a higher percentage chance.

Perfect catches are 50% legendary 50% rare, regular catches are 50% rare 50% common.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Perfect catches are 50% legendary 50% rare, regular catches are 50% rare 50% common.

So significantly higher but man is my luck bad in asphodel in that case. Dunno if there are stats on what fish you get by I've gotten so many Chrustaceans. I'm still missing two of the fish from Chaos's realm but that makes sense as I've only been able to fish there twice.

I need to gear some runs to just fish and get that legendary.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I watch for the flash in the area above the bobber. If I watch the bobber I botch it every time. The flash is the only thing that matters.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Wildtortilla posted:

I watch for the flash in the area above the bobber. If I watch the bobber I botch it every time. The flash is the only thing that matters.

This is the way for me as well - look away from the bobber so you’re not registering it and there is a white flash about an inch away when the fish bites.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I look for the flash too. If possible, I try to make to make it so that Zagreus is facing down (his body is facing towards the screen) so that the flash is unobstructed. Then I concentrate way above the bob and try to hyperfocus there, the moment there's a change I hit the button.

The bob is lies. Don't listen to the bob.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I use the mouse pointer to cover the bobber. As others said, the water splash above it is never a fakeout so removing the visual clutter helps a lot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I always just listen, I’ve never missed a catch that way. close your eyes and wait for the deep “ploop” sound

Also: there’s fish in Chaos’ realm?? what the gently caress

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sanctum posted:

Is Hermes' Swift Flourish special attack speed boon actually good for the Zeus Shield?

The epic Swift Flourish 30% definitely makes the shield move faster, and I assume it makes the shield 'hit' more frequently but I really can't tell the difference in that respect.

I would not have assumed that, and in fact would generally assume the other way: that it only makes it move faster. Pretty much everything in the game that does damage over time has a set hits/second, and I don't think effects change that timing.

Sanctum posted:

there's 3 ways to deal damage with the Zeus shield special

1) Aim and throw at enemies.
2) Recall and rodeo enemies behind you to eat the shield AOE as you move/dodge.
3) Toss the shield at a wall/barrier and dance around it without recalling while enemies move within the AOE to attack you.

So the blitz disc doesn't go forever, so you can also just throw it into the center of a room and fight in open space near it. That way you get plenty of room to dodge, and can easily kite enemies into it (which doesn't really work when it's against a wall). Also you can use the knockback of the standard attack to push enemies into the disc.

Doesn't work in small rooms & areas with non-kiting enemies (ie most asphodel ones) ofc.

Sanctum posted:

I guess Swift Flourish is good if there is some enemy just standing still next to a wall? That's not really a thing though.

That's a lot of ranged attackers (witches, strongbows, theseus) that have "avoid player" AI -- they tend to back up until they're on walls. I'll toss a blitz disc at a corner where some ranged guys have collected while I'm taking care of the melee ones. Getting out damage, even inefficient hopeful damage, is great if it's attention-free.

I think if the Swift Flourish worked on the hits/second of the blitz disc it'd totally be worth using, but I'd need to see evidence to believe it did more than speed up the movement.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

indigi posted:

Supposedly. I've nearly enough 100%'d this game. Except for one category of things. Can you guess what it is.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Supposedly. I've nearly enough 100%'d this game. Except for one category of things. Can you guess what it is.

EM4 with every weapon aspect, let's complain about Guan Yu some more :v:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

indigi posted:

I always just listen, I’ve never missed a catch that way. close your eyes and wait for the deep “ploop” sound

There are indeed - three different types.

Once I'd caught one next time through Chaos mentioned that I'd been fishing in her domain.

If anyone is missing a few more there are also three in Greece, either directly behind the final boss, at the other end of the arena from where he spawns, on the route to the cottage, and behind the cottage..

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
So I tried the listening method and still nope. 183 fish caught, but not a single legendary. I think I am just too old and my reflexes too lovely or something. I dunno, I'll try the focus on flash method next.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I still need the legendary in Asphodel and the commons in Greece and Elysium. I’m having the opposite problem where I can’t delay my reaction to get the lovely fish

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

indigi posted:

I still need the legendary in Asphodel and the commons in Greece and Elysium. I’m having the opposite problem where I can’t delay my reaction to get the lovely fish

I have a 32 heat run under my belt but I cannot catch a loving fish...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

indigi posted:

The common in Greece was my last one for exactly that reason. although getting a titan blood instead dulls the disappointment a little.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Skyarb posted:

I have a 32 heat run under my belt but I cannot catch a loving fish...

Jesus Christ.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

OK somehow, I guess I wasn't focussing on the timing enough, but in the course of two runs I now have three legendary fish lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh Than, you really are a disappointment sometimes.

No unique dialogue for this though which is a shame!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EM3 is free heat imo. It’s ridiculous what they have Theseus doing lol. Asterius’ swirly attack caught me off guard (I figured it was just going to spin once and he got me three times in a row) but if you regularly get through that fight without losing 100 health you’ll be fine. Bring the acorn and you’re golden. EM2 isn’t that much more difficult but it’s definitely more annoying than EM1 or 3 and you’re likely to lose a lot more health to magma. I haven’t done 4 yet but I’m scared.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Oh Than, you really are a disappointment sometimes.

No unique dialogue for this though which is a shame!

Did you win that run? Whats your flavor text for it?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got two chaos boons for dash-strike bonus, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does it not count as dash-strike in the code for Malphon, for the fists in general, or is it confused because I got two of them?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mescal posted:

I got two chaos boons for dash-strike bonus, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does it not count as dash-strike in the code for Malphon, for the fists in general, or is it confused because I got two of them?

Not only do the fists have a dash-strike, they have a dash-special that gets both "on special" and "on dash strike" bonuses, so the fists are very good that way. What boons did you get?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Klyith posted:

I think if the Swift Flourish worked on the hits/second of the blitz disc it'd totally be worth using, but I'd need to see evidence to believe it did more than speed up the movement.
Yeah I think it just speeds up the blitz disc movement and does nothing to increase the rate of damage ticks.

That is not what I would assume the case to be when "Your special is faster" in every other instance means your special attacks faster. Blitz disc doesn't :shrug:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not only do the fists have a dash-strike, they have a dash-special that gets both "on special" and "on dash strike" bonuses, so the fists are very good that way. What boons did you get?

Hm, unfortunately the security log doesn't include Chaos boons. There was one for 109% bonus damage and one for 75%.

Let's discuss again, what's your meltingest weapon + gods combo? One that comes to mind for me is the vanilla gun + Poseidon attack with lightning added to the water attacks. The damage was incredible, but it didn't really synthesize with itself since the attack pushes baddies out of the special's way. And the Zeus + blitz disc is indeed crazy, good tip there.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 10, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mescal posted:

Let's discuss again, what's your meltingest weapon + gods combo?

Fists, doom on hit, deflect on special, deflect on dash, athena/ares duo boon (deflect makes doom effects trigger instantly). With the fast attack speed on your fists you're constantly re-applying doom, and then you just spam dash to constantly trigger doom.

The most damage I've done in one hit was with the hidden sword aspect and a bunch of crit stacking though. It immediately takes 1/3 of the final boss's health off with the third swing alone (and that's the maximum you can remove at once before he triggers one of his invulnerability phases, so it may well have been more).

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Mescal posted:

Hm, unfortunately the security log doesn't include Chaos boons. There was one for 109% bonus damage and one for 75%.

Let's discuss again, what's your meltingest weapon + gods combo? One that comes to mind for me is the vanilla gun + Poseidon attack with lightning added to the water attacks. The damage was incredible, but it didn't really synthesize with itself since the attack pushes baddies out of the special's way. And the Zeus + blitz disc is indeed crazy, good tip there.
Posiedon attack zag rail with sea storm seems like it would be good on paper but the lightning doesn't proc on every attack. I had a run like that recently even though I knew it was a bad idea to aim for. EM4 hades gave no poo poo about my weak attempt and it was a real slog. Similar to taking Zeus special on the chiron bow, it's something that would be amazing if it actually made a lightning bolt on every hit. But it doesn't do that.

I like Zeus/Dionysus attack on zag fists & zag rail. Or Zeus/Dionysus special on zag shield. Demeter special for Zeus shield. Poseidon dash and breaking wave on anything.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Interesting. What works right on the lickety-split ticks of the laser gun? Seems like Demeter chill does, but Poseidon pushback doesn't

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dyz posted:

Did you win that run? Whats your flavor text for it?

Good shout! I hadn't thought to check.

"Robbed Thanatos".

Sore loser.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Can the chain lighting effect of the Zeus attack boon hit the same target that was hit by the original attack? Or does it always go to a secondary target?

I know the lightning bolt on the special boon can hit the same target that was hit by the special, but the visual effect on the chain lightning always made me think that it was always going to secondary targets.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Bones posted:

Can the chain lighting effect of the Zeus attack boon hit the same target that was hit by the original attack? Or does it always go to a secondary target?

I know the lightning bolt on the special boon can hit the same target that was hit by the special, but the visual effect on the chain lightning always made me think that it was always going to secondary targets.

I don't think so - I don't believe it will trigger at all if there isn't a secondary target in range.

I also believe it can't then bounce back to another target (so your original target or one it’s hit before), but I'm not 100%.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think one of my best meltingest ones was the bow where the specials all hit one target, with the hammer that gives you more special arrows, doom that has more damage the more it stacks, and the delayed doom that hits for more damage when it triggers.

It was just attack -> special -> walk away on every enemy.