Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zugzwang posted:

It’s super cool that we are returning to the times when medical emergencies are way likelier to kill you because emergency departments are overflowing with covid patients.

Yeah I’m in a big city in the south and I’m back to limiting how much I ride my motorcycle.

Also because it started being in the 90’s back in like may because the rich killed the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
20% of total ICU space already taken up by covid seems kinda bad huh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Stink Billyums posted:

20% of total ICU space already taken up by covid seems kinda bad huh

Is this for the whole country? Because holy poo poo

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Is this for the whole country? Because holy poo poo

yup, that's national HHS database numbers

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Rolo posted:

Yeah I’m in a big city in the south and I’m back to limiting how much I ride my motorcycle.
I can’t really avoid the hospital right now because my wife and I are having a kid in about a week, lmao

Fortunately my local hospitals aren’t swamped with covid patients…yet. Though my county in CA is now at about half the daily caseload we had during the winter 2020-21 hell surge.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

FYI: the US government can, and has, forced people to get vaccinated via mandates and emergency powers so when blaming

1) folks who get their information from deregulated news and social media channels
2) working people who can’t afford to deal with effects of vaccines and time off from work
3) immigrants who are afraid the vaccines are some ICE raid
4) minorities who recall a history of the US injecting folks with syphilis

Please remember: The Biden admin and the US government could fix this vax situation with a door to door campaign + mandate and are actively choosing not to.

Please cast your blame accordingly.

They aren't going to do that because a lot of state governments would stop just shy of open armed revolt and the amount of active sabotage by state/local authorities would make the FedGov look dangerously weak and embolden domestic enemies.

If they tried and failed we would have a 100% chance of chuddy states deciding to push the boundaries on what else they can get away with ignoring.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vernii posted:

They aren't going to do that because a lot of state governments would stop just shy of open armed revolt and the amount of active sabotage by state/local authorities would make the FedGov look dangerously weak and embolden domestic enemies.

If they tried and failed we would have a 100% chance of chuddy states deciding to push the boundaries on what else they can get away with ignoring.

There is this weird internet trend ever since Biden took office where someone will invent a completely implausible/illegal solution to a problem ("Joe Biden could use Section 1881A of the Social Security Act to enact Medicare for All by executive order!"), then rant that because Biden is not doing that exact completely imaginary thing means that he is personally 100% responsible for every bad thing that they think their solution would solve.

So yeah, "Joe Biden refused to open vaccination gulags and is thus has the blood of every single COVID death in America on his hands" is just another beat of the same drum.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

There is this weird internet trend ever since Biden took office where someone will invent a completely implausible/illegal solution to a problem ("Joe Biden could use Section 1881A of the Social Security Act to enact Medicare for All by executive order!"), then rant that because Biden is not doing that exact completely imaginary thing means that he is personally 100% responsible for every bad thing that they think their solution would solve.

So yeah, "Joe Biden refused to open vaccination gulags and is thus has the blood of every single COVID death in America on his hands" is just another beat of the same drum.

Yea, they also like to pretend all actions like this happen in a vacuum and that there won't be active opposition in a variety of exciting flavors or any political consequences at all.

Like that "just call up the army to vax everyone!" post. Let's imagine that happened. Sure we just established an incredibly authoritarian precedent that the GOP certainly wouldn't abuse every chance it gets, probably give them a landslide win in 2022 and total control of the government in 2024, and all of it will totally be worth it to... *checks notes* save a few million chuds from themselves. :shepface:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

The point of my post isn't disproving that most unvaccinated are white, but rather that it's a not really a meaningful piece of information because most people in the US are white. It's like when people post heatmaps of various things and they are really just heatmaps of population in the end.

Same idea as if someone posted "Most NFL Fans are White". That's likely true, but it doesn't necessarily tell us anything useful on its own because most people in the US are white.

It's also interesting you chose to leave out the second half of that sentence:

"Your argument is flawed" is probably the wrong way to open the post, it sounds a lot more combative than I mean to be here. I don't disagree with you that the other poster was being disingenuous and just lazily implying that others are racist for being mad at unvaccinated people. It's just a lot more complicated than "Most unvaccinated are white and I bet most of those are chuds". There's just a lot that's going on there and race and socioeconomic status are often big parts of it.

It's meaningful because when someone complains about the unvaxxed you can know immediately that anyone who responds with "why do you hate brown people" is just a disingenuous shitlord.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

ted hitler hunter posted:

The Westerner doesn't put the same high price on life as does others. Life is plentiful. Life is cheap in the West.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

None of the west’s massive fleets of river corpses have anything to do with covid, thank you

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

QuarkJets posted:

It's meaningful because when someone complains about the unvaxxed you can know immediately that anyone who responds with "why do you hate brown people" is just a disingenuous shitlord.

Not directed at you specifically, but everybody who won't let this go

Can we just agree:
1- There are a variety of institutional problems that create barriers for PoC to get immunized
2- People being angry at the unvaccinated in this thread are referring to MAGAs, not marginalized communities
3- Anybody suggesting 1) or 2) is false is being a dumb poo poo

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

Tbh they’d be disingenuous or (gasp) posting in bad faith either way, since I think it’s safe to say that anyone here complaining about the unvaccinated is talking about people who can get vaxxed but choose not to because (right wing talking points).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Can we just agree:
1- There are a variety of institutional problems that create barriers for PoC to get immunized
2- People being angry at the unvaccinated in this thread are referring to MAGAs, not marginalized communities

Exactly. Just as it's also true that no one here is buying into the lie that covid cases are being driven by immigrants

The group of people that we're griping about are MAGA chuds feeding horse medicine to their children

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I think we're just focused on different things. I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread since I don't think most people are concerned what's largely a semantic argument by me.

Crackbone posted:

Can we just agree:

I agree with all of this.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is no excuse, in the middle of August, in the United States of America, to not be vaccinated.

if you are not vaccinated by now, it is by choice.

other countries are still waiting to vaccinate their people, yet Americans who aren't vaccinated did so because they did not want one. you can walk into any pharmacy, anywhere, at anytime, and get one. literally everybody knows this by now.

no excuse.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Peter Daou Zen posted:

there is no excuse, in the middle of August, in the United States of America, to not be vaccinated.

if you are not vaccinated by now, it is by choice.

other countries are still waiting to vaccinate their people, yet Americans who aren't vaccinated did so because they did not want one. you can walk into any pharmacy, anywhere, at anytime, and get one. literally everybody knows this by now.

no excuse.

This is only true when you assume that everyone has your access to the quality of information in this thread. If you're illiterate, if you're homeless, if you don't speak english, if you're afraid of ICE, got into bankruptcy before by seeking medical care, etc you might not have the same understanding.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Crackbone posted:

Can we just agree:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think most posters aren't even thinking about minorities when they talk about anti-vaxxers but apparently some will say it's all choice when pressed

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, I missed Peter Daou Zen's post. I can only assume they just don't get it.

I hope.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Zugzwang posted:

It’s super cool that we are returning to the times when medical emergencies are way likelier to kill you because emergency departments are overflowing with covid patients.

Yea, my mom knows someone who died because of this last week. He was having cardio issues so he went to the ER. After waiting a long-rear end time he got frustrated and went back home. Ended up having a heart attack in his sleep and died in the ambulance.

Also her best friend caught Covid and was hospitalized. Her husband is 400+ pounds and isn't vaxxed. He's lucky as gently caress he didn't catch it, because he'd be dead. She didn't get a vax because she doesn't trust the government. He didn't get it because he was waiting for her. They were both Junior College professors for decades.

My uncle caught it at a small Easter service which infected like half of those that attended. He was going to get vaxxed but was waiting to meet with his general practitioner rather than going to get a free jab. He was on vent for two weeks.

This poo poo sucks lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Squashy posted:

This poo poo sucks lol
:agreed: and sorry about your mom’s friend/acquaintance :-(

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Counterpoint, Biden's entire pandemic response plan seems to be making "get vaccinated!" tweets from his bunker. It's clear that between breakthrough cases, the impossibility of herd immunity, and the vaccines diminishing effectiveness, and schoolkids going back soon, getting vaccinated isn't enough. What's Biden do? "can't turn back the clock, full steam ahead, open 'er up!"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210804/will-the-delta-variant-peak-and-then-burn-out

"When will the Delta Variant peak and burn out? "

Actual predictions from experts in the article:

MAYBE in August, or September, or October, or we don't know

Thanks, webMD!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210804/will-the-delta-variant-peak-and-then-burn-out

Thanks, webMD!

Yeah but this is the same webMD that told me i either have cancer, IBS, strep, or a food allergy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1424770920686702602?s=20

Imagine wanting to run for government to rule over these idiots

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1424783910622273564

This will definitely piss off some chuds.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
great country we got here

Peter Daou Zen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 9, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Squashy posted:

Yea, my mom knows someone who died because of this last week. He was having cardio issues so he went to the ER. After waiting a long-rear end time he got frustrated and went back home. Ended up having a heart attack in his sleep and died in the ambulance.

Also her best friend caught Covid and was hospitalized. Her husband is 400+ pounds and isn't vaxxed. He's lucky as gently caress he didn't catch it, because he'd be dead. She didn't get a vax because she doesn't trust the government. He didn't get it because he was waiting for her. They were both Junior College professors for decades.

My uncle caught it at a small Easter service which infected like half of those that attended. He was going to get vaxxed but was waiting to meet with his general practitioner rather than going to get a free jab. He was on vent for two weeks.

This poo poo sucks lol

Not blindly trusting the government is cool and good but that's a very flimsy excuse for not getting vaccinated since there are a hundred other trustworthy sources to turn to

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

I don't know about the US Military, but in the Canadian Forces they get you caught up on all your vaccines during Basic Training, and it's neither optional nor a big deal.

So to see any pushback from folks who normally get poked anyway friggin blows my mind.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

are you the rereg of that peter daou guy who got permabanned for being a shithead

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Thanks, webMD!

According to webMD, you have cancer not covid.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I rage-listened to Ben Shapiro’s radio show in the car because I’m an idiot and the chucklefuck had the nerve to say “so far only around 300 children aged 12 and under have died from Covid in America” and use that as an argument to OPEN UP DEM BEACHES because as per usual the right wing in America is a death cult and child death is their favorite delicacy

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Okay so anyone who still isn’t vaccinated in the USA is a victim of disinformation, distrusts the government, and/or is part of a community that generally (and incorrectly) perceives the medical and economic risks of vaccination to be greater than the risks of actually catching covid.

It’s only bad if they are right wing. Do I have that right? Even though if you talk to average working people the underlying reasons for vaccine hesitancy are largely the same?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so why is everyone still acting like this will ever go away and the way forward isn't reacting to variants as soon as possible with regular booster shots tailored to new infection vectors

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Walrus posted:

so why is everyone still acting like this will ever go away and the way forward isn't reacting to variants as soon as possible with regular booster shots tailored to new infection vectors
It's unclear if a tailored shot would even be better for delta--its big thing seems to be reproducing faster and releasing way more viral particles. I am currently in a booster trial with pfizer and my third shot was the same as the others. With the current wave we'll probably get answers from the trial fast just like when the last big wave hit.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can't wait for the inevitable generation of COVID-brains, like the lead poisoned generation, except more preventable.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

satanic splash-back posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable generation of COVID-brains, like the lead poisoned generation, except more preventable.

Some might say brain damage is an advantage for your soldiers in the upcoming water wars of 2040s

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Lol at door to door shots. We've got MTG telling folks to shoot at anyone approaching the house. We've got Deathsantis blocking a schools funding if they try to implement a mask mandate. But the military forcing vaccine on people? I mean, yeah, a guy in camo and access to drones could get the job done, but you'd be vaccinating a mother and her child. The dad would be blown up or shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

Okay so anyone who still isn’t vaccinated in the USA is a victim of disinformation, distrusts the government, and/or is part of a community that generally (and incorrectly) perceives the medical and economic risks of vaccination to be greater than the risks of actually catching covid.

It’s only bad if they are right wing. Do I have that right? Even though if you talk to average working people the underlying reasons for vaccine hesitancy are largely the same?

Yes good job you cracked the case