Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

How long would you say W3D7 is? I got some stuff to do today, so IDK if I should try to squeeze it in now or wait for my next day off.

It’s actually pretty short in terms of gameplay if I remember right (just a couple time travel trips and then the final boss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You will probably want to actually wait for a good block of time to do it all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ChaosArgate posted:

Alright. Y'all are getting my thoughts either tomorrow night or at some point on Wednesday.

'till then a short ramble
I think my favorite part of the game is that everytime I start really thinking "I wish I could have more X" it happens within a half hour. Be it more uber pins or just a new character. The most recent of that was thinking how I wish I had the sixth character, then Minamimoto showing up and getting hyped, then oh gently caress I gotta fight him, AND THEN Neku!

I really appreciate how all the villains are basically letting their goodwill towards Shiba turn to fear over the three years. Except for Sussy K, it felt very real how the Shinjuku stuff caught them off guard, and then when Shiba started revealing his true colors over the years, the reapers just didn't want to rock the boat due to the fear he started forming on them. Sussy was a bit drastic with how much he seemingly loved doing bullshit and then going "ah, but i was just doing it so i could betray Shiba when it counts"

Adore how casual everyone is towards all the magic poo poo. Every time people talk about time travel it feels hilarious. Like Rindo going "i can't remember what happened" and Beat just assume he's from the far future then. Last week has some very neat arcs for everyone, really makes this group feel like a family that'll stick together.

Final thing: I'm a totally stupid Mark that believes after three months ten years we'll finally see Shiki's face soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Alright. Y'all are getting my thoughts either tomorrow night or at some point on Wednesday.

'till then a short ramble
Final thing: I'm a totally stupid Mark that believes after three months ten years we'll finally see Shiki's face soon.

You do (and very soon at that)

Speaking of which (spoilered because it relates to the above), I forget but was it ever explained how Shiki was able to completely alter her appearance when she was in the UG (she’s also the only partner who never explains how she died in the first place)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 9, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

You do (and very soon at that)

Speaking of which (spoilered because it relates to the above), I forget but was it ever explained how Shiki was able to completely alter her appearance when she was in the UG (she’s also the only partner who never explains how she died in the first place)?

She didn't. Kitaniji did. Her entry fee was her appearance.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Supremezero posted:

And then Another Day’s reasoning for why she still had Eri’s appearance in an AU was literally just “don’t think too hard about it”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Ah right, I remember now. Speaking of, is Eri the shopkeeper in Gatto Nero or was that a different girl?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 9, 2021

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I was in such a groove at the end of week 1 with the pin set I was using. Now on Week 2 I have a bunch of new pins, but I hate most of them or can't combine them because they're Ubers. Are there status effects better than freezing someone because I find it hard to switch out a pin that freezes when I have frost synergy shoes and Frozen Foes II on some pants/skirt?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you want to level all your pins then you’ll have to get used to a lot of crappy combos

chain as many battles as you can and don’t be shy about abusing PP Up or Jinxed point booster threads when they become available, especially when you start getting some good Light element pins. most of them suck HP from enemies, which makes up for the initial health loss the Jinxed clothes inflict on you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any tips for the final Dive during Another Day? I made it all the way to the final round only to get immediately oneshotted by a T-Rex when I was at full health.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

One of my favorite bits is Susukichi's texting. Dude's huge hands weren't made for smartphones.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I spend so much money on Grand Slam Meat Bowls that every new character I get has noticeably worse stats than whoever is already there. Fret can just loving bench press the final party member right now.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Larryb posted:

Any tips for the final Dive during Another Day? I made it all the way to the final round only to get immediately oneshotted by a T-Rex when I was at full health.

Don't get hit by the T-Rex I haven't actually done it myself yet, so

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the most annoying thing right now, honestly, is that (post game) the secret boss is easy. Even with his damage he is insanely easy. But clearing him level 1 is annoying because if he hits your party members you instantly die. So I can get him down to 30% and the camera will jump the full distance away to Nagi or someone that was standing still near him waiting to get ripped in half and oops you lose.

I'll win easily if I jack my level up, and it's just a pride thing, but ughhh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tried out the Japanese voices out of curiosity, Fret’s voice sounds a bit too deep for his character design (Japanese Nagi and Susukichi are amazing though).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

ChaosArgate posted:

This. I really enjoyed every aspect of the last day but it will take around an about an hour and a half at the least

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I played maybe half the demo and found it fun enough, but does the combat mostly involve spamming what abilities you have off cooldown or does it get more intricate later?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I played maybe half the demo and found it fun enough, but does the combat mostly involve spamming what abilities you have off cooldown or does it get more intricate later?

It does get more involved later.

I will say NEO TWEWY's difficulty and learning curve are not very smooth though. You can coast along for a long while, then suddenly whenever things get more involved, it gets very sink or swim and it can turn into "learn how to deal with this or die instantly."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Adding onto the above, your focus in combat should be on creating 'beatdrops' for combo potential. Spamming is a habit that will screw you over when the difficulty picks up, and you should look for an attack pattern with your pins so that you always have one to use.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Basically, attack for a little bit until you get a message saying to “Drop the Beat” at which point switch over to another character to fill a bit of the Groove meter at the top. Once you hit 100% or above press the Circle button (or the equivalent if you’re playing on Switch) to release a powerful attack that changes depending on the element of the pin you last used.

For pins that require you to charge up before you can use them properly, start holding the button down while attacking with another character and then release it when the Drop the Beat prompt comes up.

Also unlike the previous game, there’s no option to have your party members attack automatically.

Finally from a story perspective, it’s required that you’ve played the original TWEWY (or at least watched the anime) as well as the bonus episode called “A New Day” which was included with the Switch version as there is a ton of direct continuity between those and this that will be completely lost on you if you just go in blind

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
As someone who never played A New Day, this game does a good job of catching you up on what happened there as far as it pertains to NEO.

You get a social link ability that adds a sweetspot to all the beatdrop gauges that gives you extra groove if you time the beatdrop well, which encourages some better timing (or finding combos that time themselves). Also enemies that aren't as easy to steamroll.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kantesu posted:

As someone who never played A New Day, this game does a good job of catching you up on what happened there as far as it pertains to NEO.

You get a social link ability that adds a sweetspot to all the beatdrop gauges that gives you extra groove if you time the beatdrop well, which encourages some better timing (or finding combos that time themselves). Also enemies that aren't as easy to steamroll.

Neither had I honestly so I watched a playthrough beforehand just to be safe. But yeah, this game does a decent enough job at recapping the most important bits of that section.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
(W3D6) How the gently caress am I supposed to bring down Susukichi, he's slamming off 1/4 of my HP every time he swings an arm over here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

(W3D6) How the gently caress am I supposed to bring down Susukichi, he's slamming off 1/4 of my HP every time he swings an arm over here.

I had trouble with that too. Dodge just as he winds up for a swing and it should miss you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Susukichi is 19 years old

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

MorningMoon posted:

Susukichi is 19 years old

Wasn't the first game master from the original 18

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

YggiDee posted:

Larryb posted:

I had trouble with that too. Dodge just as he winds up for a swing and it should miss you.

Do that, and also in the second phase, target his horns, they’re the only way to do any actual damage to him

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
W3D4, That Boss: i have no idea what i was supposed to be doing for that fight. just wildly flailed my way through it. he has super armor, he has regular armor, he has regular armor with his super armor, and the only thing i could do was drown him in so many attacks that one or two would occasionally slip through his i-frames

and after all that, i still don't get the Hard pin. the cheek of it

great reveal after that nonsense was over with, though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm is there a guide to combat, I thought I had a feel for it but after getting repeatedly killed by scorpions in day 6 even after turning the difficulty down I realize I may not know what I'm doing.

I am enjoying the game but it makes me feel incredibly old lol, not anything to do with the story but juggling 4 different characters at once and keeping them from all getting hit when my direct control over any one of them keeps bouncing all over the place is getting me dizzy, plus when I activate the groove thing usually I end up taking massive damage for some reason? I would try to figure out why but my brain feels like it's dying from all the particle effects and everyone yelling their combat barks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Usually when you activate a psyche a character automatically zooms in to the minimum range, so loading up on ranged attacks can probably help with that. Most of the charge moves and Y/square are ranged by default so it’s really just subbing in an X/triangle move with L2/R2 attacks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

W3D4, That Boss: i have no idea what i was supposed to be doing for that fight. just wildly flailed my way through it. he has super armor, he has regular armor, he has regular armor with his super armor, and the only thing i could do was drown him in so many attacks that one or two would occasionally slip through his i-frames

and after all that, i still don't get the Hard pin. the cheek of it

great reveal after that nonsense was over with, though

His primary gimmick is super simple. He auto evades one attack, but he can't dodge 2 attacks at the same time. So as long as you're pressing at least 2 attacks at once, you'll always damage him. Also he's vulnerable to being counterattacked, so smacking him right after he's stuck in his endlag frames from an attack will also damage him. That's about it. The fight looks fancy and chaotic, but dealing with him is about as simple as that.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Well, I think I'm about done with the game. Got all the secret reports, beat the secret boss, beat the time trial. Everything left to do is just straight up grinding.

Also, the Black Cat pin set really breaks the game a bit. Insane amounts of damage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does this game even have a vocal song over the credits? I liked Lullaby For You from the first one and am slightly disappointed they didn’t bring it back for this.

On another note, while I’d like to see one eventually I’m kind of curious how a potential third game could possibly work in this case (a deeper exploration of the Angels and if there’s some kind of big boss behind all of this maybe?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 10, 2021

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I remember reading many years ago that they wanted to explore multiple Reaper’s games around the world.

If there is as a sequel, I’d like it if you played in Shibuya and then went to a few other countries to fight in their games. Perhaps reforming them to stamp out evil and corruption.

Imagine Rome or Barcelona and then NY or San Fran then heading to Shibuya. Maybe even head to some natural environment to mix things up.

I’d love to see those PS5 graphics.

How have sales for this game gone?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Andrew_1985 posted:

I remember reading many years ago that they wanted to explore multiple Reaper’s games around the world.

If there is as a sequel, I’d like it if you played in Shibuya and then went to a few other countries to fight in their games. Perhaps reforming them to stamp out evil and corruption.

Imagine Rome or Barcelona and then NY or San Fran then heading to Shibuya. Maybe even head to some natural environment to mix things up.

I’d love to see those PS5 graphics.

How have sales for this game gone?

Reaper Olympics

Supposedly it didn't sell particularly amazingly.

In Japan.

During the pandemic and Olympics. (Pandemolympics?)

And physical only.

Well, basically it's a pretty useless metric in the current situation. And even then it was still top of the charts.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoojToranja/status/1425261754381217795

Susukichi's voice actor is a loving great follow on twitter

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So if I'm trying to say, farm Ultimate drops off of plague noise for example, there's nothing for it except to save scum a billion times because you can't chain them.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ChrisBTY posted:

So if I'm trying to say, farm Ultimate drops off of plague noise for example, there's nothing for it except to save scum a billion times because you can't chain them.

Correct. It's dumb, yeah. Best advice I can give is the obvious "save Killer Remix until they're almost dead, since it increases the drop rate on killed enemies."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, some drops require you to save Killer Remix as a finisher to guarantee the drop. Remember there's also threads that can boost drop rates, and the Jinxed drop rate increases help a ton too. However there are some drops you'll have to save scum, yeah. The Jellyfish boss is just a really annoying one. You have to play through that day 4 times, and the ultimate drop isn't even guaranteed with all possible boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well screw that noise. Might be time to find something else to play. I'm not a big completionist and this game shreds my hands anyway.