Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Volguus posted:

Question for the experienced: do FAANG companies (especially the F one) care if you use their products? I have an interview with facebook lined up and I don't know ... I never used it, never cared about it and I have no idea what they're doing there. Would that matter? Not that I would be able to pass their whatever interviews they have, but that's a different matter altogether, neither here or there. But if they deduct a point for not using FB then I wouldn't even bother. The first call with their recruiter was really short and seemed really focused on him selling FB to me and move on (maybe he's getting a bonus or whatever). Next call I will ask the important questions, but I thought I'd ping those in the know first.
not FB-specific, but all you need is a one or two sentence answer for why you want to work at the company. nobody is judging these answers very closely, but you do want to be sincere. for a company as big as Facebook, you can say you like Instagram, Oculus, their open source projects, you remember playing Zynga games, etc

fwiw I expect a good chunk of your potential interviewers don't use or care about Facebook outside of work either

recruiters in particular are playing a numbers game and are definitely rewarded for putting as many successful candidates into the hiring mill as efficiently as they can. if they're on the phone with you, they think you have a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Only a couple days left before the Google interview. Spent all my time on brushing up on DSA and grinding Leetcode. Apartment in shambles, fridge empty, cat annoyed. Feels like I'm back in college :negative:

Anyway, I think I hit my limit. It's both a lot of stuff that I'm unlikely to excel at and also very short notice. Apparently the acceptance rate is like 0.2%, so I'm really just going the distance at this point.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Break a leg!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

Only a couple days left before the Google interview. Spent all my time on brushing up on DSA and grinding Leetcode. Apartment in shambles, fridge empty, cat annoyed. Feels like I'm back in college :negative:

Anyway, I think I hit my limit. It's both a lot of stuff that I'm unlikely to excel at and also very short notice. Apparently the acceptance rate is like 0.2%, so I'm really just going the distance at this point.

At least you do this one interview, and if you get the job, then you're set career-wise and financially for life!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

Good luck! I will be honored to lose out on a developer to the googs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

0.2% is real fuckin low guys lmao

Tech jobs like Google are gatekept primarily because they’re so high paying. You can’t just hand out that chunk of money to anyone (not my opinion, but it’s clearly someone’s). Hence why tech interviews are so reluctant to pull the trigger on hires - companies don’t actually want to spend all this money, despite us generating far more profit than we get back.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
0.2 is hire rate from sending in resume. they get an unending torrent of crap resumes like you wouldnt believe. i think onsite => hire rate is a lot better

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just searched for "google onsite interview hire rate" without quotes and

quote:

The average is somewhere between 1 in 6 and 1 in 4. At best, most teams average 25%

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, don’t give me hope. My goal this week is to 1. get through it 2. do my best with what I’m given 3. not break down into a bundle of nerves. I gotta focus on that and the rest is up to fate.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

Man, don’t give me hope. My goal this week is to 1. get through it 2. do my best with what I’m given 3. not break down into a bundle of nerves. I gotta focus on that and the rest is up to fate.

Well, if it gives you any bit of a confidence boost, my team loved you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:slick:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I’ve been at my current (large, old, Midwest) employer for about ten years now, with two years of experience before that with a defense contractor. I feel like I’ve capped out as the tech lead of a small project. Next steps here might be to switch teams, go into an arch role, or look into management.

Seeing several of my friends get basically junior dev jobs elsewhere with much higher salaries than mine lit a fire under me to start looking around.

The problem isn’t leetcode or the interview grind; I feel like I can learn well enough with some practice and a lot of time. It’s the golden handcuffs at my current role, specifically my pension. Has anyone done the math to see how it compares to raw salary? I’m fully vested but I think there are years of service tiers. At 30 years apparently it is extremely good, but that’s 20 years away for me. My salary is 110k with 10k stock/10k cash, so I feel like it wouldn’t be hard to find a competitive offer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we cant do the math on your pension. you need to do that. pensions vary greatly in what they provide. if you dont know how to do it, a financial advisor can help you figure out what your pension is worth and whether you want to go the distance to max it out or not

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Would have to know way more details to be able to model it. Plus consider the risk that 20+ years from now it may or may not still be solvent.

Without knowing the details, I would wager that getting a new job that increases your salary now up to 150-200k+ and saving/investing a good chunk of that increase will outperform the pension and be more flexible both in the present and future.

Plus then you don't stay at the same place for 30+ years. That alone would kill me. But YMMV.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The pension doesn't mean as much when they lay you off and start trying to play games with those benefits.

My mom had to deal with a lot of tomfoolery with IBM'S spousal stuff like triple negatives and default opt-out. They are trying hard to just shed her.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Anyone had to build a team before? I posted about this start-up team previously. They want me to put together what would be needed to hire people. Basically something that can be given to recruiters so they know who to hire. They want to show this to investors as evidence that they found a tech person who can be CTO and build the tech team.

While I have some idea of the skills that would be needed from the initial hires, I have no idea what something like this should look like when I hand it over.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so you took the startup job?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Google tech interview tomorrow. Honestly unsure of the prospect, but I think obsessing over it is going to destroy me, so gently caress it, whatever comes will come. That said, I find success unlikely - I really hate the Google-style tech shibboleth interview, even if they do make a big stink about being "to scale" or whatever.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

so you took the startup job?

Nope. After I got them to show me their VC deck, they wanted me to show the investors what team I'd build.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

oliveoil posted:

Anyone had to build a team before? I posted about this start-up team previously. They want me to put together what would be needed to hire people. Basically something that can be given to recruiters so they know who to hire. They want to show this to investors as evidence that they found a tech person who can be CTO and build the tech team.

While I have some idea of the skills that would be needed from the initial hires, I have no idea what something like this should look like when I hand it over.

you dont use recruiters for your first 5-200 hires, depending on strength of network, lol

the really ideal situations ive seen are basically 5-15 deec peeps who quit an absolute poo poo job, having identified the fuckups previously on the team, dont invite them, invite everyone else over

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 11, 2021

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pollyanna posted:

Google tech interview tomorrow. Honestly unsure of the prospect, but I think obsessing over it is going to destroy me, so gently caress it, whatever comes will come. That said, I find success unlikely - I really hate the Google-style tech shibboleth interview, even if they do make a big stink about being "to scale" or whatever.

You could think about it like a numbers game. If you have 10% chance of passing a FAANG, then you can expect 10 interviews to get your first offer. So you can technically grind FAANG level interviews.

https://www.cut-the-knot.org/Probability/LengthToFirstSuccess.shtml

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tezzeract posted:

You could think about it like a numbers game. If you have 10% chance of passing a FAANG, then you can expect 10 interviews to get your first offer. So you can technically grind FAANG level interviews.

https://www.cut-the-knot.org/Probability/LengthToFirstSuccess.shtml

0.90 ^ 7 is when that crosses 0.5 in expectation

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

kayakyakr posted:

Well, if it gives you any bit of a confidence boost, my team loved you.

Pollyanna, you should definitely tell the Google recruiter "I did an interview an another company and it went really well, so I'm expecting an offer soon". And then when you get an offer mail the recruiter telling them to hurry up.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you dont use recruiters for your first 5-200 hires, depending on strength of network, lol

the really ideal situations ive seen are basically 5-15 deec peeps who quit an absolute poo poo job, having identified the fuckups previously on the team, dont invite them, invite everyone else over

Not sure the network strength is very high. The three of us are:

Founder: non-technical industry expert. Well-connected with the most ideal clients in the industry and is in a position where he *actually is* one of the ideal decision makers at one of the ideal clients as he is someone who would have the authority at his employer to pay for expensive licenses for the product he wants to build, and would do so if it existed.

Founder's technical advisor/previously intended CTO: he just found out he can't participate for personal reasons / issues, otherwise he'd be the CTO and they wouldn't be talking to me.

Me: Someone without a network of people to recruit from. My best former coworkers either like coasting at Google or depend on Google for their residency and dont want to take a job with a risky startup.

Not sure if this changes anything but apparently the investor is some huge VC fund that they expect to rely on for recruiting. They've invested in at least one company you've heard of, maybe more.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your goog search keyword is hiring roadmap - just make one and customize it a bit to the oppty. just like gettin hired is a sales job, hiring for an unknown place is also a sales (sales + marketing) job. heres a long checklist

https://recruiterbox.com/blog/25-recruiting-tools-and-documents-every-company-should-have

quote:

Founder's technical advisor/previously intended CTO: he just found out he can't participate for personal reasons / issues, otherwise he'd be the CTO and they wouldn't be talking to me.

do you know if this is the real reason or its just that ceo couldnt sell this guy on bein cto

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 11, 2021

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

your goog search keyword is hiring roadmap - just make one and customize it a bit to the oppty. just like gettin hired is a sales job, hiring for an unknown place is also a sales (sales + marketing) job. heres a long checklist

https://recruiterbox.com/blog/25-recruiting-tools-and-documents-every-company-should-have

Thank you!

quote:

do you know if this is the real reason or its just that ceo couldnt sell this guy on bein cto

I briefly wondered that myself but this is the guy my friend introduced me to and vouched for his honesty and his circumstances make sense. The founder was also present and nodded as he explained why he couldn't do it.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 11, 2021

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So a recruiter brought up a job as I know ruby, but then the code challenge ended up react-native and mobile development? Is that common? Is ruby mobile oriented?

Tbh it was a little more fun than "regular" challenges though I dont know if that was the react or the mobile aspect

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah ruby isn't used for mobile apps at all afaik. i'm sure there's some terrible dsl app generator but i've never heard of ruby really being used for that. it could run the backend that a mobile app hit, so you'll see crossover there. i've seen it much more with js than mobile stuff, though

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Today's (second) phone screen with Google was definitely... interesting. We had some connection problems so it didn't register until afterwards that my interviewer had actually hung up on me due to time reached without saying anything. After waiting a minute, when I called back they were confused, so I also was confused because at first I thought it was a disconnection, but I realized they actually just hung up??? Without ending the interview? They had a pretty tough time communicating with me overall and while I got my brute force solution down, I didn't get to add the 4-5 line optimization and explain the difference with the time complexity for that solution. Feel like this will cost me for sure.

Frustrating how poor my experiences with Google has been, most of the interviewers have immense problems communicating and come off as very robotic. I'm sure this isn't everyone, but it's pretty frustrating to do all this prep and encounter people like this. Today was arguably my worst experience because it was a problem domain I was very familiar with from a lot of practice, I just didn't have time to add optimizations due to aforementioned issues and the problem being a bit long to explain and code.

Any mention of this to my recruiter will probably come off as sour grapes so I'll probably just not say anything.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 11, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So a recruiter brought up a job as I know ruby, but then the code challenge ended up react-native and mobile development? Is that common? Is ruby mobile oriented?

Tbh it was a little more fun than "regular" challenges though I dont know if that was the react or the mobile aspect

It's common that recruiters don't know what the gently caress they're talking about and will attempt to recruit anyone with a pulse regardless of whether they'd be a good fit or not. Bad recruiters are everywhere. Remember, their time commitment to you is minimal; they're juggling 15 other people at the same time as you.

Internal recruiters for companies are better than head hunting firms like Robert Half. Avoid those like the plague.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
RubyMotion technically exists but it thankfully never caught on, and even if you love Ruby a company using it would be a giant red flag.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Today's (second) phone screen with Google was definitely... interesting. We had some connection problems so it didn't register until afterwards that my interviewer had actually hung up on me due to time reached without saying anything. After waiting a minute, when I called back they were confused, so I also was confused because at first I thought it was a disconnection, but I realized they actually just hung up??? Without ending the interview?

lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Today's (second) phone screen with Google was definitely... interesting. We had some connection problems so it didn't register until afterwards that my interviewer had actually hung up on me due to time reached without saying anything. After waiting a minute, when I called back they were confused, so I also was confused because at first I thought it was a disconnection, but I realized they actually just hung up??? Without ending the interview?

I have zero desire to work there now, thanks

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's starting to sound like Google's hiring process screens out well rounded people!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Today's (second) phone screen with Google was definitely... interesting. We had some connection problems so it didn't register until afterwards that my interviewer had actually hung up on me due to time reached without saying anything. After waiting a minute, when I called back they were confused, so I also was confused because at first I thought it was a disconnection, but I realized they actually just hung up??? Without ending the interview? They had a pretty tough time communicating with me overall and while I got my brute force solution down, I didn't get to add the 4-5 line optimization and explain the difference with the time complexity for that solution. Feel like this will cost me for sure.

Frustrating how poor my experiences with Google has been, most of the interviewers have immense problems communicating and come off as very robotic. I'm sure this isn't everyone, but it's pretty frustrating to do all this prep and encounter people like this. Today was arguably my worst experience because it was a problem domain I was very familiar with from a lot of practice, I just didn't have time to add optimizations due to aforementioned issues and the problem being a bit long to explain and code.

Any mention of this to my recruiter will probably come off as sour grapes so I'll probably just not say anything.

Tell your recruiter. It's part of their job to deal with this kind of bs. Worst case nothing happens

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

That sucks and is definitely not Ok. Tell you main point of contact about this experience.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah that Google interview is bullshit. It would be less of a fuss if you basically didn't have a one-year cooldown to try again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Tell your recruiter. It's part of their job to deal with this kind of bs. Worst case nothing happens

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
OTOH, this poo poo also hurts the motivation to work for Google: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58171716

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think Google is a tremendous outlier in this practice