Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Harik posted:

Everything above 2400 is out-of-spec for DDR4. The only question is how high an overclock you can push. Like gradenko_2000 said, your RAM will be fine. Run it at whatever your MB will accept, and if you have problems with stability back it off to 3200 or so.

I had to run 3000 on zen+, but that's with 48gb made of 6 sticks of ram, a bit unbalanced.

The CPU he's running may have to drop down to 2933 to be stable as that is the max supported speed for that cpu. My 2700x is difficult to get something stable above that 2933.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have DDR4 DIMMs that have a JEDEC profile for 3200. :confused:

DDR4 JEDEC goes up to 3200 but some CPUs are only officially validated up to 2400 or 2666, I guess that's where the 2400 came from

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Iirc JEDEC was 2133 when DDR4 was new and they've been validating/approving faster speeds over time.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have DDR4 DIMMs that have a JEDEC profile for 3200. :confused:
you're absolutely right, my bad. 2400 was the envisioned ceiling but the standard specifies 1600, 1866, 2133, 2400, 2666, 2933, and 3200. 3600 is still outside the spec though.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

What wizardry is this? A just-released CPU, in stock, at MSRP?

The 5700G is available on Amazon, sold by Amazon, at :10bux: over MSRP, but the 5600G is only available from resellers starting at $50 over.

I didn't check Newegg because ugh, with their bundles and other bullshit.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

mdxi posted:

The 5700G is available on Amazon, sold by Amazon, at :10bux: over MSRP, but the 5600G is only available from resellers starting at $50 over.

https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mdxi posted:

It's not really a high-demand launch. It's priced like a Zen3 (i.e. high) but it performs like a Zen2 due to a smaller cache, it's only PCIe 3.0, the Vega architecture is extremely dated at this point, and there are cheaper alternatives for many of the niches it might fit into.

If you want maximum iGPU performance (and AMD gaming drivers) it's the best option, especially for micro SFF builds that can't support a dGPU. But if you want a HTPC then Intel has the better media core/IO block, if you just want a basic light-desktop box with an iGPU then the 10400 is significantly better priced, and if you don't need an iGPU at all then Intel has faster options at cheaper prices and AMD has even faster options at the same price.

5600G is notionally the more attractive of the two SKUs (unless you really need absolute best iGPU performance) but it's hugely overpriced compared to 10400/11400 - it really needs at least $50 knocked off the price and that would still have it coming in over the top of 11400 by about $20 and over 10400 by about $45-55. That means in total it's overpriced vs the competition by at least 25%. 5700G is the "no-compromises" SKU and is priced relatively fairly against 11700 ($20 more) but it's still $360 for a slow-ish 8-core when you could get a 5800X at the same price (if you are willing to give up the iGPU).

it's a fine enough chip, just not really worth paying 5800X or 5600X money for unless you've got special needs... like SFF builds. If you do I guess the AMD drivers and 7nm efficiency are an advantage (I still don't really think I'd trust Intel drivers yet) but the way prices are set up, you are paying a pretty decent premium for it, unless you go straight to the top of the stack.

I admit though, with how everything has been selling out instantly that it's surprising seeing it still in stock even with limited demand.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 9, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Reposting this from a week or so ago with some tweaks:

Probably going B550 at this point, but I can't decide between 5600x and 5800x.

I've currently got a 8600K Intel in there, and getting 8c/16t is a lot more appealing than 6/12.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

This console generation (PS5) has 8/16, so imo it is best to match it. Also you get a little more single thread perf out of it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Buff Hardback posted:

Reposting this from a week or so ago with some tweaks:

Probably going B550 at this point, but I can't decide between 5600x and 5800x.

I've currently got a 8600K Intel in there, and getting 8c/16t is a lot more appealing than 6/12.

what country/what are the relevant prices?

the 5800X was overpriced at launch and probably not selling that great and prices seem to be drifting downwards more significantly on that SKU than on others. Right now Amazon prices have the 5800X at $396 and the 5600X at $290, so it is 37% more expensive for 33% more cores. obviously that's not a terrible deal in terms of price-per-core, but in absolute terms it's also another 106 bucks.

the two factors you're going to have to wrestle with are how big an upgrade it's going to be from your existing hardware, and how long you intend on keeping it. You're right that 6C6T->6C12T probably doesn't feel like a huge upgrade, but Zen3+ CPUs are right around the corner (likely will announce no later than october/release no later than november, and possibly earlier than that) and AM5 chips are coming probably a year away and second-gen chips a year after that, so it may not make a ton of sense to drop a bunch of money on a "premium" chip right now.

if you do want to drop a bunch of money into a premium chip, the 5900X is actually a pretty good deal and will give you a ton of cores, that's $550 at Amazon right now.

personally right now I'd be on team "wait for a month or two and see what's up with the Zen3+ chips". Intel is releasing Alder Lake in this same timeframe, which will likely leapfrog over Zen3 gaming performance (won't compete with the 16C SKUs in heavily threaded productivity of course, but the rough expectations seem to be about the equivalent of 5900X performance), so I don't think AMD is too likely to try and pull a big price increase on the Zen3+ chips, they will have to price them reasonably well if they want them to compete. Zen3+ is Zen3 plus a cache die which will improve per-thread performance a fair bit, and it also means that Zen3 production will definitely continue in parallel and will likely see price drops to remain appealing vs the newer/faster products around (or slightly above) current MSRPs. So even if you don't want Zen3+ you will save a bit by waiting a few more months.

I know "wait for [new product]" sounds crazy with the hellworld shortages but the supply truly is evening out at this point, at least for CPUs. Amazon has regular stock of 5900Xs at MSRP, 5600X is under MSRP a bit, and 5800X is significantly under MSRP. Yeah if you want a Zen3+ on day 1 then you may have to be f5'ing at 9:01 AM when they drop but inventory will stabilize probably within a month or two.

first-gen platforms on a new memory standard usually end up being finicky, but the DDR5-based processors are likely to have significantly higher performance and some other selling points like AVX-512. But if you wait for 2nd gen or 3rd gen platforms/chips then you are now talking about an upgrade sometime in 2023/2024. I think that would be a big stretch for your current hardware, and probably even a 5600X will not be doing super great by that point.

but on the other hand $400 for an 8-core when we're almost into 2022 isn't exactly a great deal either. Like, IMO, the smart move was to buy the 8700K back in 2017, the 9900K back in 2018, or a 3700X or a deep-discount 8700K/9900K in 2019. The 8700K and 9900K are still fantastic chips and will give you the headroom to get onto second-gen DDR5. The 5600X is even faster than an OC'd 8700K, it's just that it's an expensive and short-term upgrade this late in the game on DDR4 - it seems like in another couple 2 years or so a hexacore is probably going to be getting pretty loaded when running at PC gaming framerates.

the 5900X/6900X are going to have plenty of legroom to get there too, and if you want to spend the money for a "premium" processor $550 for those frankly make more sense to me than $400 for a 5800X, but the CPU race seems to be taking back off again, which means those processors are in danger of getting obsoleted by gains in per-core performance. Alder Lake is (supposedly - and I know we've heard this before) a pretty substantial improvement and is leading into a period of more rapid iteration on core architecture for Intel, and AMD certainly doesn't seem to be slowing their roadmap either. If AMD can keep up their current tempo, by Zen5 that we're probably going to be talking 30-40% more per-core performance which blunts a lot of the advantage of those additional (slower) cores on the 5900X/6900X.

let me also throw out another option, which is buying a 9900K or a 9900KF right now and upgrading what you have. You don't need a Z-series motherboard to get good performance out of a 9900K, 9-series is where Intel started really pushing the stock clocks and they're plenty fast right out of the box. VRM quality is unlikely to be an issue for gaming, reviewers test them under prime95 or video encoding which loads them up much harder, gaming is not a very power-intensive workload at all. You can get a 9900KF for $340 from Amazon which isn't a terrible deal, or Walmart has the 9900K for $355. You could sell your old chip and offset a chunk of the cost and keep your existing mobo. If you intend to hand down CPU+mobo as a unit to family members then maybe that math is different though.

I realize this is all incredibly unhelpful, especially the part about "the best move is to have ponied up the extra hundred bucks for a better chip 2-4 years ago and rode it onto DDR5". But like I said above, I think those are the two factors you need to be thinking about : how big an upgrade is it from what I have, and how long do I plan to keep it. The 9900KF is probably the cheapest way to get yourself over the finish line onto 2nd-gen DDR5. Your 8600K will be struggling to make it, I think. The 5600X will do it as well, but by 2023 6C12T will probably be starting to get long in the tooth and it won't hang on into 2024 or whatever. And that applies to the 8700K just as much, but you would have gotten another 4 years of use out of the 8700K vs buying the 5600X this late in the game.

personally I'd say in order of most to least sensible with money: upgrade to a 9900KF, wait for Zen3+ launch and either buy a 5600X or a 6600X, whichever makes more sense, or if you want to splurge then wait for Zen3+ and get a 5900X or 6900X. Or try and hang on with your 8600K but it's going to be a struggle to reach 2nd gen DDR5, if you do that you will probably want to hop onto Zen4 asap when it launches in a year or so, and that means you'll get the extra buggy early-adopter experience.

edit: I keep referring to "wait for DDR5 platforms next year" and it's true that Alder Lake is going to come out this year including with DDR5 variants (possibly also DDR4 - skylake did multiple variants on the same memory controller), but that's serious early-adopter territory, even next year with Zen4 may be a bit of a bumpy ride, plus Alder Lake is the first major release of a big.LITTLE on the desktop (lakefield doesn't count) so you'll be getting that as well. I probably wouldn't recommend jumping right off on that one.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 11, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

another quality paul post

US

Yeah, the best I can do is a 9900K in my board, probably gonna see what happens in the next month or so (also in the process of moving so buying a new CPU is not really the highest priority rn) and will probably end up with the 9900K/KF and ride that out until DDR5 stabilizes

(the only drop everything purchase I've got planned is if BB does another in-store FE drop between now and september first)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Buff Hardback posted:

US

Yeah, the best I can do is a 9900K in my board, probably gonna see what happens in the next month or so (also in the process of moving so buying a new CPU is not really the highest priority rn) and will probably end up with the 9900K/KF and ride that out until DDR5 stabilizes

(the only drop everything purchase I've got planned is if BB does another in-store FE drop between now and september first)

I guess maybe it's early next year, thought I remembered it as being late this year instead. Also it's apparently "Zen3 with 3D V-Cache" and not "Zen3+". I dunno I guess there's always something better coming in 6 months, and that timeline could of course slip even further. I thought it was supposed to come by end of year, but I guess we're getting pretty late in the year for the rumor mill to be this quiet about an upcoming launch.

if you want to do the 9900K thing don't wait too long. The 9900K is officially discontinued, final orders were placed in June or July for delivery at the end of the year. Amazon doesn't seem to have restocked the 9900K in a while (they only have the 9900KF) and I dunno if they will at this point. Best case don't expect inventory to last too much past the start of the year, I think, and there's no guarantee it won't run out sooner. As stock dries up, prices will start to climb as it enters legacy "if you want this old piece of junk that desperately, you must be willing to pay for it" status.

I'm not saying "omg buy buy" mind you. Just be aware that option has a finite lifespan whose expiration date is ticking closer, don't put off making a decision on that route too long. There will be other dealz that come along over time too - if you are not actively invested in doing this right now, one option is to set some alerts and see what happens.

• PcPartPicker has a price alert feature, which is also very useful in combination with parameterized searches - eg you can say "find me all 8-core processors in the Coffee Lake or Coffee Lake Refresh family and alert me when an option costs under $325", or do parameterized searches for RAM (kit configuration, frequency, CAS, actual latency, etc).
  • you can also set camelcamelcamel alerts on a couple SKUs of interest. PcPP does not have a way to discriminate between sold by amazon/fulfilled by amazon unfortunately, while on CCC you can set a sold-by-amazon-only alert. I try to always do real Amazon only unless there's a super good reason, the Fulfilled By Amazon supply chain is crap and you can potentially get fakes/etc.
  • you can join the NerdSpeak stock-alert discord and sign up for notifications on the processors you're interested in
  • you can use the reddit rss feature to turn a BuildAPCSales search into an RSS feed (eg "cpu 5600x -microcenter" for 5600X excluding microcenter links, for the peasants with no Microcenter locations. do a search, select "restrict to subreddit", sort by new, change "/search" to "/search.rss") that you plug into the RSS reader of your choice. RSS is less hip than discord but you can use BAPCS for any product, not just the current in-demand stuff - if you wanted to look for a deal on a 9900K or a PSU or something you'd probably use BAPCS or CCC/PcPartPicker alerts. Also, people there are generally pretty savvy and tend not to post junk - the scraper discords like Nerdspeak do tend to get a fair amount of spam from random fake zero-feedback FBA sellers and such. Obviously being a human-curated source it's slower to update when there's a super hot item like GPUs, really hot items are gone before they hit BAPCS, but AMD CPUs aren't really hard to get anymore. But you'll mostly only get an alert when something's an actual decent deal, not just every time it scrapes a random store restocking.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 11, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess maybe it's early next year, thought I remembered it as being late this year instead. Also it's apparently "Zen3 with 3D V-Cache" and not "Zen3+". I dunno I guess there's always something better coming in 6 months, and that timeline could of course slip even further. I thought it was supposed to come by end of year, but I guess we're getting pretty late in the year for the rumor mill to be this quiet about an upcoming launch.

if you want to do the 9900K thing don't wait too long. The 9900K is officially discontinued, final orders were placed in June or July for delivery at the end of the year. Amazon doesn't seem to have restocked the 9900K in a while (they only have the 9900KF) and I dunno if they will at this point. Best case don't expect inventory to last too much past the start of the year, I think, and there's no guarantee it won't run out sooner. As stock dries up, prices will start to climb as it enters legacy "if you want this old piece of junk that desperately, you must be willing to pay for it" status.

I'm not saying "omg buy buy" mind you. Just be aware that option has a finite lifespan whose death date is ticking closer, don't put off making a decision on that route too long. There will be other dealz that come along over time too - if you are not actively invested in doing this right now, one option is to set some alerts and see what happens.

• PcPartPicker has a price alert feature, which is also very useful in combination with parameterized searches - eg you can say "find me all 8-core processors in the Coffee Lake or Coffee Lake Refresh family and alert me when an option costs under $325", or do parameterized searches for RAM (kit configuration, frequency, CAS, actual latency, etc).
  • you can also set camelcamelcamel alerts on a couple SKUs of interest. PcPP does not have a way to discriminate between sold by amazon/fulfilled by amazon unfortunately, while on CCC you can set a sold-by-amazon-only alert. I try to always do real Amazon only unless there's a super good reason, the Fulfilled By Amazon supply chain is crap and you can potentially get fakes/etc.
  • you can join the NerdSpeak stock-alert discord and sign up for notifications on the processors you're interested in
  • you can use the reddit rss feature to turn a BuildAPCSales search into an RSS feed (eg "cpu 5600x -microcenter" for 5600X excluding microcenter links (for the peasants with no Microcenter locations...) - select "restrict to subreddit", sort by new, change "/search" to "/search.rss") that you plug into the RSS reader of your choice. RSS is less hip than discord but you can use BAPCS for any product, not just the current in-demand stuff - if you wanted to look for a deal on a 9900K or a PSU or something you'd probably use BAPCS or CCC/PcPartPicker alerts. Also, people there are generally pretty savvy and tend not to post junk - the scraper discords like Nerdspeak do tend to get a fair amount of spam from random fake zero-feedback FBA sellers and such. Obviously being a human-curated source it's slower to update when there's a super hot item like GPUs, really hot items are gone before they hit BAPCS, but AMD CPUs aren't really hard to get anymore. But you'll mostly only get an alert when something's an actual decent deal, not just every time it scrapes a random store restocking.

I mean yeah, if I do jump on the 9900K/KF train (which is a more compelling option the more I think about it), it'd be sometime in September or October at this point, so I'm not too stressed about it disappearing by then.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My system is an ageing 6700K/1080ti so I'm pretty much willing to be a first-gen DDR5 tester and inform everyone here how it's going.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My system is an ageing 6700K/1080ti so I'm pretty much willing to be a first-gen DDR5 tester and inform everyone here how it's going.

heh should have bought $THING_I_DID :smuggo:

(it was the 5820K, and it was rad: the chad 50% more cores for the same price, vs the virgin 3% higher IPC)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whats all this business about using DDR5 with older chips.. that doesn't work?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Whats all this business about using DDR5 with older chips.. that doesn't work?!

I think what Paul is referring to is:

1. Alder Lake being the first Intel platform to use DDR5 is probably going to be pretty finicky with how well it's going to be able to utilize/maximize DDR5
2. on top of the initial run of DDR5 itself not being as fast as what later generations will eventually be capable of
3. Intel may well allow Alder Lake to support DDR4 to try and make the upgrade path not as punishingly steep, assuming there's motherboard vendor buy-in

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I recently got a 5900x and it's my first cpu with multiple CCDs. Is it normal for there to be a 10 - 20 degree difference between CCDs when under load?

I'm pretty sure I have full coverage with thermal paste, I did an x. It's air-cooled with an nh-u12a if that makes a difference.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dramicus posted:

I recently got a 5900x and it's my first cpu with multiple CCDs. Is it normal for there to be a 10 - 20 degree difference between CCDs when under load?

I'm pretty sure I have full coverage with thermal paste, I did an x. It's air-cooled with an nh-u12a if that makes a difference.

correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that's normal on Zen2/Zen3. One die is the "fast die" and gets clocked higher and will run hotter as a result. Also, the "fast die" is better silicon quality and will run cooler than the other die at a given clock speed.

(despite a lot of internet theorycrafting about "faster chips do better with high leakage chips and low-leakage chips tend not to clock as high" - this doesn't seem to be appreciably true in practice as far as I can tell. Better-quality silicon is just flat-out better, it leaks less, clocks higher at a given voltage, and has higher peak clocks.)

also if you haven't loaded it up on all cores it might not even be putting load on that other die, or not much load - idling in the low 50s is also completely normal.

The "CCD1 temp" is the max temperature of any sensor on that die, like a hotspot temp, so a hotspot temp of 70C (or even that max of 83C) is fine, particularly on CCD1 where it has the "preferred cores" and clocks itself higher. The "cpu average" is likely a more informative number but unless it's really getting super toasty just don't worry about it.

in short, don't fret overly much on temperatures on Zen2/Zen3 unless they are sitting in the 80s/90s (not spiking, but actually sitting there) on workloads where you think that's unreasonable. Like by all means make sure you didn't mess up the paste job or whatever but if it's not actively causing thermal throttling it's probably fine.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 12, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the explanation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

also if you haven't loaded it up on all cores it might not even be putting load on that other die, or not much load - idling in the low 50s is also completely normal.

I checked in Ryzen master and this was the case during the screenshot I took. Only one CCD was clocking high, the other was idling.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "CCD1 temp" is the max temperature of any sensor on that die, like a hotspot temp, so a hotspot temp of 70C (or even that max of 83C) is fine, particularly on CCD1 where it has the "preferred cores" and clocks itself higher. The "cpu average" is likely a more informative number but unless it's really getting super toasty just don't worry about it.

in short, don't fret overly much on temperatures on Zen2/Zen3 unless they are sitting in the 80s/90s (not spiking, but actually sitting there) on workloads where you think that's unreasonable. Like by all means make sure you didn't mess up the paste job or whatever but if it's not actively causing thermal throttling it's probably fine.

I've never been one to fuss much over temps, but it's good to know it's normal functionality. It generally seems to stay around 73-ish under load, so it seems all's fine at least as far as air-cooling will do.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's pretty cold. These Ryzen can run right up to their thermal limit of 90c with little performance loss.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

(despite a lot of internet theorycrafting about "faster chips do better with high leakage chips and low-leakage chips tend not to clock as high" - this doesn't seem to be appreciably true in practice as far as I can tell. Better-quality silicon is just flat-out better, it leaks less, clocks higher at a given voltage, and has higher peak clocks.)

Modern chips will hit a thermal limit way before the transistor switching speed from leakier silicon comes into play (unless you're doing LN2 cooling, maybe)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

That's pretty cold. These Ryzen can run right up to their thermal limit of 90c with little performance loss.

Sometimes it's hard to know because if you do a search about "normal" temps, there are all sorts of posts that make it seem like anything over 60 degrees is too hot. I guess you can chalk it up to regular internet misinformation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arzachel posted:

Modern chips will hit a thermal limit way before the transistor switching speed from leakier silicon comes into play (unless you're doing LN2 cooling, maybe)

yeah it's entirely possible that's an idea from LN2 overclocking that bled over into the public consciousness without people realizing it didn't really matter without sub-ambient cooling.

I just see a lot of people around the internet (not here) saying things like "Epyc silicon wouldn't be good for Ryzen chips anyway, it's low leakage so it doesn't clock as high!" and in my experience that's not true at all - there are a few historical places where you can compare overclockable Xeons to overclockable HEDT chips (eg Xeon E5-1650v3 vs i7 5820K, E5-1660v3 vs 5960X, E5-1650v1 vs i7-3930K, X5650/X5660/X5670/X5680 vs i7 980X/990X, etc) and as far as I know the Xeons do at least as good if not better for most normal overclocking stuff. I could completely believe they're slightly worse at LN2 extreme OC but as far as normal users are concerned it's just flat-out better-grade silicon.

Dramicus posted:

Sometimes it's hard to know because if you do a search about "normal" temps, there are all sorts of posts that make it seem like anything over 60 degrees is too hot. I guess you can chalk it up to regular internet misinformation.

especially in the beginning around zen2 there were a lot of people freaking out about it, because zen2 truly was different than most things that came before. That was where AMD did the switch to "hotspot temps" so temps read hotter across the board, plus people hadn't quite grasped the thermal density of 7nm based chips and the generally higher temperatures and spikier temperatures that it causes.

plus the fact that the Zen2 boost algorithm has everything firmly in hand. Like, it will absolutely exploit whatever thermal or clock headroom it can, and stop when it can't, and that's a good thing. But that translates into higher voltages/thermals than people are used to on the old chips. But you just have to relax and let it do its thing, because as long as you didn't gently caress with it (PBO/manual OC/increased voltages/etc) it's not going to do anything to hurt itself.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 13, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

plus the fact that the Zen2 boost algorithm has everything firmly in hand. Like, it will absolutely exploit whatever thermal or clock headroom it can, and stop when it can't, and that's a good thing. But that translates into higher voltages/thermals than people are used to on the old chips. But you just have to relax and let it do its thing, because as long as you didn't gently caress with it (PBO/manual OC/increased voltages/etc) it's not going to do anything to hurt itself.

This is one of my favorite parts of the ryzen-era of chips. I've never been a fan of overclocking or tuning, and to have a system that will do the best that it can within like 2-5% out of the box is fantastic. I love that I can just drop a cpu in and let it do its thing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I have being seeing 5600X and 5900X going below MSRP, guess this has to do with the stupid GPU prices somehow

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Palladium posted:

I have being seeing 5600X and 5900X going below MSRP, guess this has to do with the stupid GPU prices somehow

Isn't that just normal CPU price behavior?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Palladium posted:

We are expecting am5 and 6000 series cpus soon right?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Palladium posted:

They stopped being profitable for scalpers because you don't need a ton of CPUs to mine and the artificial scarcity caused by scalpers was the main driver for pricing imo. They've been relatively easy to find for MSRP for the last few months and this is just the natural progression from there.

e: And AM5 stuff is supposed to release sometime in 2022. People are speculating that it could be somewhere from July to September.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 14, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

We are expecting am5 and 6000 series cpus soon right?

"Soon" is subjective. We can expect a Zen 3 refresh within this year, with maybe a model that has extra 3D-stacked cache. Zen 4 and AM5 are probably mid-to-late 2022

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

I just got a 5900x running on an x570 and some DDR4 rated at 3600 but the motherboard was defaulting to a lower clock speed (2666 iirc). Is this normal? I went into the BIOS and forced it up to 3600 and everything seems stable, but shouldn't the MB be detecting the speed automatically?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO posted:

I just got a 5900x running on an x570 and some DDR4 rated at 3600 but the motherboard was defaulting to a lower clock speed (2666 iirc). Is this normal? I went into the BIOS and forced it up to 3600 and everything seems stable, but shouldn't the MB be detecting the speed automatically?

2666 is the officially-supported speed on Zen3 (with high-capacity memory configurations). Going past that is considered overclocking the memory controller (voids warranty, although they don't really care/enforce it) and isn't guaranteed to work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

no, it won't. most RAM will default to a JEDEC standard specification, which is going to be slower than what your sticks will actually be rated for if your sticks are more than the most basic of speeds. This is because this is a very "safe" configuration that will run on almost anything

pretty much anything over 2666 needs to be manually set. Most motherboard BIOSes will have something called an "XMP profile", which will allow you to exploit the full rated speed of your RAM without you having to dick around with the half-a-dozen sub-settings yourself. Needing to turn on XMP is fine and is expected behavior

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That is indeed normal. 2666 will be that stick of ram's JEDEC profile. JEDEC is the standards body that dictates memory speeds and all that, and they have been rather slow about authorizing out-of-the-box clock rates at the speeds most DDR4 kits are being advertised at. So you technically have to overclock them to reach their advertised speeds. This is what XMP or DOCP profiles are for. I would undo whatever bios config you did and enable XMP instead, which will load a more complete profile with potentially better timings.

edit: beaten to hell and back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
xpost SFF thread:

5700G / B550i Aorus Pro AX / Noctua L9a / Mini-Box M350 / PicoPSU 150XT

The M350 is actually extremely well-finished for a $50 case - I'm very impressed. I've used $50 cases before and they are usually, uh, "rough at best". This is actually really nice.

Usual mITX build errata: didn't put everything together first, and then realized the L9a uses a custom backplate :smithicide:. Power jack didn't fit in the spot due to the plastic meme armor on the motherboard's IO shield and I had to hacksaw off half of the screw hole for that power jack. Power jack hole has a "crosshair" support bracket designed to fit the barrel connector option (150w brick uses 4-pin DIN) and I had to take tin snips and cut that out.

The L9a is only rated to about 47W, doing heavy x264 transcoding (3440x1440 CRF 29 veryslow) with full fan speed it runs at about 82C (tctl/tdie) at 60W package power, running around 4.1 GHz. A heavier load like Cinebench R23 eventually pushes it up to 95C at which point it drops to maybe 4 GHz. Which is reasonably acceptable given the form factor, the cooler, and the noise. Might be able to squeeze it a bit more with a thicker fan (I miiiight be able to fit a full NF-A9 PWM (92x25mm) in there instead of the stock NF-A9x14, just barely) or by seeing if I could add the side rail with 40mm fans to force some extra airflow (although that will add noise).

Efficiency at the wall is not all that great - I don't think those laptop bricks are all that efficient. I'm idling at about 30W at the wall (5W package power) and during x264 encoding (60W package power) it's running about 100W at the wall. Some of that is chipset/etc but I think I'm losing a lot in the power brick. And while idle efficiency is important to me - tbh as long as it's happening outside the case, it's at least not affecting thermals inside the case.

Other than that I do love that PicoPSU for this build - between that and the M.2 SSD it makes it super super clean inside. It's literally just the PicoPSU input and CPU power strings, the front header/USB, and the fan cable, those are the only cables inside, everything else is on the board or on the PicoPSU.

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

Thank you all

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That is indeed normal. 2666 will be that stick of ram's JEDEC profile. JEDEC is the standards body that dictates memory speeds and all that, and they have been rather slow about authorizing out-of-the-box clock rates at the speeds most DDR4 kits are being advertised at. So you technically have to overclock them to reach their advertised speeds. This is what XMP or DOCP profiles are for. I would undo whatever bios config you did and enable XMP instead, which will load a more complete profile with potentially better timings.

edit: beaten to hell and back.

I did either XMP or DOCP, will reboot and take a look. Thanks!

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

Thank you all

I did either XMP or DOCP, will reboot and take a look. Thanks!

Nevermind, found out they're different names for the same thing. Thanks again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dramicus posted:

I know that GPUs are a little bit different, but I had an R9-290 that ran at 95C continuously steady state the entire time it was gaming, and then to boot it was put into the crypto mines for about a year, and it still ran fine after.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
My 290 came from the crypto mines, I used it for a few years, and then it went right back into the crypto mines again. Sold it for more than I bought it for originally even. Terrible GPU but best value ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CFox posted:

My 290 came from the crypto mines, I used it for a few years, and then it went right back into the crypto mines again. Sold it for more than I bought it for originally even. Terrible GPU but best value ever.

I actually really liked mine? It ran stuff pretty well.

I bought it for $210 new in 2014 bundled with 3 games, sold it 3 years later for $300.