Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSQdh926Gc
New trailer up for S2 of Stargirl featuring
Jade, The Shade, and Thunderbolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Titans s1 is going to air on TNT, which is funny because the project originally started as a show for TNT.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Several years late but I just watched Harley Quinn and had to find a thread to talk about it.

Warbird posted:

Good lord, they were going to have Tim Curry play the joker? I love Mark’s to pieces but man I would have liked to have seen that.

If I remember right Curry was just too batshit insane and scary for a kids show. Like unequivocally fantastic but apparently the producers were like :stonklol: "that was amazing but we can't use that, kids will literally freak" after his audition

Shnag posted:

I lost it at that scene when clayface is practicing his 'drunk character' and when it feels like what he was doing was over staying its welcome psycho literally slaps the face off him, leaving an hilarious expression, and psycho delivering the best line "Shut the gently caress up!" :laffo:
99% sure that face was a Truck Shepard from monster factory reference. Start at 16 minute mark since I can't get the time stamp to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4x_BRqIpI&t=16m9s

Also I can't find a screen cap to compare it to :(

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Swamp Thing. Depending on when you determine Ivy's origin (the first version of her was published in 1966), Swamp Thing is 'older' than she is, origin-wise.

He's also way more powerful than her. He refers to her as the "May Queen." There is an episode of JL:A where Ivy mind-controls him, though.
In the DC universe there's a universe-spanning plant-based power called The Green (similar to the Flash's Speed Force). Swamp Thing, Poison Ivy, and Floronic Man all tap into it in one way or another and their histories are usually connected in some way.

And yeah they're all insanely powerful, with Swamp Thing typically outclassing them but it's kind of like comparing nukes by that point

roomforthetuna posted:

There can never be too much "Batman acts like a spoiled rich douche" joke.

"You need to rest, Master Bruce."

"NO! I need to fight crime!" *crawls ineffectually across carpet*

Also "I made you tea."
"Alfred made that."
"I made him make it..."

Moon Slayer posted:

Harley Quinn and Legends of Tomorrow are tied for the two best DC properties ever made. Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a close second. And some people still want them to go all grimdark all the time.

Maybe they finally learned what Marvel had long figured out: that capes are crazy and stupid and make no goddamned sense and if you don't admit that and have fun with it, it eventually just gets exhausting.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really don't think Kite Man *is* a nice guy, though. I think he's a douchebag who's decided to clean himself up for the sake of "landing" Ivy. If he continues on with that even if/when he loses her, good on him.

He's definitely got douchey tendencies but he's sincerely nice, not nice in expectation of getting rewarded for it. He seems genuinely apologetic when he horribly misreads the situation and does cringey stuff, he does things for her because she likes them, he puts himself at risk and supports her (even if he goes about it in a dumb way). He gets sad when he realizes she's embarrassed by him but he doesn't take it out on her, either.

Ovenmaster posted:

Yeah I'm also ambivalent about a new season, it's too easy to fall into the trap of relitigating character flaws and growth, when there's already a perfectly decent end-point for their character arcs. Keep Harley and Ivy together and there's a big source of conflict gone, break them apart and you're just resetting the clock. It's these sort of problems of coming up with new ideas to move the story forwards that also lead to tropes like fridging happening.

edit: best season of a show I've seen this year that had a wedding as a looming deadline that happens in the finale. Sample size: 2 (god, You Me Her was a travesty).

They did a great job of cutting off Joker's influence while acknowledging the continuing aftereffects of his influence, so I fully expect they can thread the needle of "they're together but they're still figuring their poo poo out" without resorting to breaking them up or happily-ever-after.

roomforthetuna posted:

That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what I hope for. I wanted him to still show up a couple of times in a new season, but still as a completely okay guy. Maybe one time he shows up asking Ivy for help, and another time Ivy and/or Harley goes to him asking for help, and in both cases they do help because none of them really have any reason to dislike each other. Like maybe a bit of a bitter grudging help from Kiteman, with some grumbling, but he wouldn't say no.

"Revenge" is a completely loving stupid idea that doesn't fit with his character or the events so far at all. "I broke off our wedding, and now I'm out for REVENGE!"

Same here. If anything I imagine Kite Man has the invincible self-assurance that he'd not be bitter or begrudging about helping, he'd love being useful. Instead Ivy would be too afraid he'd be mad at her (justifiably) and put asking for help off too long.

He can be hurt that she didn't choose him without holding her decision against her. He has surprising emotional maturity for a guy that makes 69 and Borat jokes which is part of why he's endearing. They truly turned an absolute throwaway joke into someone I hope we see more of.

Kite Man: Hell Yeah

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Subscribed to HBO Max with my sibling so I finally watched Doom Patrol, and now it got the trailer for the third season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzOth7VrzLo

I'm excited, really enjoyed the show.

Now I gotta watch Harley Quinn.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tMP0fzG-I

Stargirl Season 2 premiered tonight.

It continues to be enjoyable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Adnor posted:

Now I gotta watch Harley Quinn.

You do, you really do. Everyone should.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A comic started last week that starts off immediately after the end of S2 of Harley Quinn

Edit: Stargirl S2 is off to a solid start. I feel extra bad for Beth and Eclipso is gonna really gonna mess with her and Wildcat's heads

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 11, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

A comic started last week that starts off immediately after the end of S2 of Harley Quinn

Edit: Stargirl S2 is off to a solid start. I feel extra bad for Beth and Eclipso is gonna really gonna mess with her and Wildcat's heads

I don't know who the spoilered name is, so that'll be exciting to learn about as the season goes on, agreed about Stargirl S2 being off to a good start.

Also, the daughter of Green Lantern, eh? Considering the confusion around Diggle's character in...the rest of the Arrowverse, I suppose, this is interesting

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I don't know who the spoilered name is, so that'll be exciting to learn about as the season goes on, agreed about Stargirl S2 being off to a good start.

Also, the daughter of Green Lantern, eh? Considering the confusion around Diggle's character in...the rest of the Arrowverse, I suppose, this is interesting

For those more familiar with comics and the JSA, her presumed identity will be obvious. But as a hint, it's related to the OG Green Lantern Alan Scott whose origin involves literally forging a lantern out of a meteorite and had nothing to do with space aliens and more to do with magic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm loving Zeek.

Sometimes a man just needs himself a robot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The kid who plays Mike definitely hit a growth spurt between seasons.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slamhound posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tMP0fzG-I

Stargirl Season 2 premiered tonight.

It continues to be enjoyable.

Pretty solid, but I don't know how you can do summer school without Mark Harmon

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

The kid who plays Mike definitely hit a growth spurt between seasons.

That age can do some dramatic aging between seasons. Lost In Space felt the same way.

Oh, and another thing I saw was that Stargirl and Loki filmed simultaneously in Atlanta, so Luke and Owen Wilson just moved in together for the duration.

So sad that neither got their jetski.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's no way this woman will be Jessica Cruz right? Its probably going to be Jade, isn it?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Adnor posted:

Subscribed to HBO Max with my sibling so I finally watched Doom Patrol, and now it got the trailer for the third season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzOth7VrzLo

I'm excited, really enjoyed the show.

I was hyped by both the Brotherhood of Evil and the mention of Dada, but also noticed the note during Rita's "but what does it all mean?" bit said something interesting - "Laura DeMill, Sisterhood of Dada".

I wonder if that means a whole new lineup or just a general name change to disambiguate from the (also-active) Brotherhood of Evil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its the same group from the comic (the Fog, Frenzy, Sleepwalk and the Quiz,) just with a different name. Also showing up this season will be the Dead Boy Detectives.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love Cindy from Stargirl. She just enjoys being a campy villain so much!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love Cindy from Stargirl. She just enjoys being a campy villain so much!

Her line "DADDY, DADDY, DADDY, let me kill her!" from her cell was the second funniest thing from Season 1.

Funniest was the whole scene of Sportsmaster and Tigress telling Artemis they were off to "date night."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Titans season 3 is off to a strong start.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I vaguely remember Titans' second season ended on a lame note. And that it wasn't particulary good.

Will probably still check it out.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Titans s3e03 I'm sorry I know Hank's dead was supposed to be tragic and all, but I couldn't stop laughing when Krypto appeared after the explosion

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not impressed with Titans S3. Jason is too dumb to be taken seriously, so every other character gets to be dumb too.Dawn didn't even check the gun and it's not like she even needed it to kill him. If she actually believed it was a dead man's switch deactivator then all she needed to do was charge him.

Adnor posted:

Titans s3e03 I'm sorry I know Hank's dead was supposed to be tragic and all, but I couldn't stop laughing when Krypto appeared after the explosion

Why didn't they just super-speed that thing into space like that other bomb in S2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

itry posted:

Why didn't they just super-speed that thing into space like that other bomb in S2.

They explained this in the episode the barbs in the bomb won't allow it to be removed that way. It has to be deactivated.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
For some reason it really feels like the actor playing Jason Todd is way too young (or at least boyish looking) to be Red Hood and then likewise, the actor playing Tim Drake seems older than Jason Todd? I could have sworn Tim Drake was younger than Jason Todd.

Also I enjoy Batman's folder of spare, broken youths he's looking to weaponize. And man, they really condensed down the Jason Todd/Joker stuff. But still, season 3 is pretty much on par with the other seasons, so that's relatively alright if someone enjoyed the nonsense in the other parts.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Spacebump posted:

They explained this in the episode the barbs in the bomb won't allow it to be removed that way. It has to be deactivated.

That's not a good explanation when you have a superman in the team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

itry posted:

That's not a good explanation when you have a superman in the team.

Superman wouldn't think pages of a book are a good table for food.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
He was in a race against time to save his friend's life and a 98% chance of success... welp, not good enough. Better have a couple more goes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I liked Curran Walters as Robin but yeah, he's just too young/tiny to pull off the Red Hood role. And the mask is not good, there's cosplayers running around in better looking masks.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Ian Glen as old man Bruce Wayne might by my favorite live action Bruce.

The kid that plays Jason is great at being Jason, but…

Edit: One of the show’s producers is a guy named Richard Hatem. He does pretty regular appearances on the Astonishing Legends podcast. Guy is really into ghosts, aliens, anything paranormal. And is pretty darn funny.

mweber fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 13, 2021

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's nice to see that the move to HBO max did nothing to improve Titans.

I really like Raven as a character - are there any shows / comics about her that are recommended?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lechtansi posted:

It's nice to see that the move to HBO max did nothing to improve Titans.

Spoilered & paraphrased my favorite exchange of the season so far...
Bruce: There's been an eighth murder. Are there any clues yet?
Barbara: Does everything have to be about business? Can't we just talk person to person for a change?
Bruce: Your father was much more cooperative about these things.
Barbara: My father isn't here because he had a heart attack inside a block of ice because he was frozen by a man wearing a loving refrigerator suit!
Bruce: His name is Mister Freeze.
Barbara: I know what his loving name is!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barbara is the new mvp of this show.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barbara is too old for this poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wild speculation here but this show is

loving batshit enough to bring Hank back as fuckin MONARCH and I want full recognition if it happens.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

loving batshit enough to bring Hank back as fuckin MONARCH and I want full recognition if it happens.

More wild speculation:

The drug Jason is taking is actually Lazarus pit juice and that's why he isn't afraid of anything anymore.

Also, what the hell did the Joker do to Barbara that she only has one leg now?

mweber fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 14, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

My speculation

Scarecrow is behind the Jason/Redhood stuff. Jason might have been using Scarecrow like the police had. Scarecrow started to manipulate Jason, that is who taught Jason the chemistry stuff. Somehow the drug made Jason stronger but also made it appear he was dead. Scarecrow's men then got Jason/what everyone thought was a dead body

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

For a second I thought you meant The Monarch from Venture Brothers.

Spacebump posted:

My speculation

Scarecrow is behind the Jason/Redhood stuff. Jason might have been using Scarecrow like the police had. Scarecrow started to manipulate Jason, that is who taught Jason the chemistry stuff. Somehow the drug made Jason stronger but also made it appear he was dead. Scarecrow's men then got Jason/what everyone thought was a dead body

Yeah, it's Scarecrow. He's also probably behind Batman's breakdown/leaving. Bruce was the one who suggested consulting with him in the first place.

"You just have face your fear. Batman did it, it's easier than you think."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'll catch up with Titans some other time.

Glad Stargirl is back though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Titans s3ep3 Poor Hank but that's what you get for being on another show I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Titans s3ep3 Poor Hank but that's what you get for being on another show I guess.

He's Jack Reacher now right?