Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

there’s a decent amount of older homes in upstate ny that either use pellet stoves or fuel oil in some combination for heat

The entire northeast is still very much fuel oil and biomass heating. I'm in eastern PA and that's what we use (not pellet, actual wood - the new wood stoves and inserts are pretty great and very efficient. There's even tax credits for them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Motronic posted:

The entire northeast is still very much fuel oil and biomass heating. I'm in eastern PA and that's what we use (not pellet, actual wood - the new wood stoves and inserts are pretty great and very efficient. There's even tax credits for them).

Yeah the wood boilers or whatever you can put outside seem ridiculously efficient, my in-laws had that and it kept the place toasty as hell

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Out in central & western PA, coal heating is still very much A Thing. I did a loss around Coraopolis, PA; the house was heated with anthracite. The owner’s son drove coal trucks from the mines for a living, and every couple of years, he’d have his son dump two 10-yard loads in pits that he’d had constructed for the purpose; he said that the two loads cost him maybe $200 and it was enough to last 2-3 years.

When I inspected the house, it was twelve degrees outside, and every window in the house wide open. It was 85 in there.

He used the windows to regulate the temperature. The house had an auto shop at one end with 20-foot ceilings.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
can i clarify that i'm asking about urban areas? haha

good to know that it's still common though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

can i clarify that i'm asking about urban areas? haha

good to know that it's still common though.

It's still common in urban areas if they don't have natural gas infrastructure. And many older homes in these areas often still have their coal furnaces in the basement, along with all of the autoloading stuff, still in basically working condition but bypassed.

It just wouldn't even register as strange to me anywhere around where I live.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Motronic posted:

It's still common in urban areas if they don't have natural gas infrastructure. And many older homes in these areas often still have their coal furnaces in the basement, along with all of the autoloading stuff, still in basically working condition but bypassed.

i've never lived in an area without natural gas service, so that helps me get it. thanks for the comment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Motronic posted:

How common is "remote heating" in the US? Here in Denmark it's pretty common for a lot of heat-generating power plants to basically use the housing in the general area as their extended cooling coil by piping them their heated coolant water to help heat their homes/bath water. Usually secondary heating(i.e. there's a heat exchanger swapping the heat into their central heating systems) but occasionally direct heating where you've got 80-something Celsius pressurized water clanging right through the radiators.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think I have ever heard of that in the US.

Edit: Apparently I am an idiot, because there are two systems doing it right in my town; MIT uses cogeneration for its campus, and there's a private company that also does this. I learned something!

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 9, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PurpleXVI posted:

How common is "remote heating" in the US? Here in Denmark it's pretty common for a lot of heat-generating power plants to basically use the housing in the general area as their extended cooling coil by piping them their heated coolant water to help heat their homes/bath water. Usually secondary heating(i.e. there's a heat exchanger swapping the heat into their central heating systems) but occasionally direct heating where you've got 80-something Celsius pressurized water clanging right through the radiators.

It’s uncommon. A few cities have it, notably New York, and some universities and corporate campuses have cogeneration plants.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The dad of one of my friends lived in Stockholm back when Sweden were developing their native nuclear power plant technology, and his district was heated with reactor waste heat - presumably after a heat exchange or three to make it safe. It was apparently cheap or free, so people heated their driveways to remove snow, and the like. He apparently once got a letter asking if they could please consider using a bit more heating, since they dumped the surplus heat into a local park lake and it wasn't environmentally great.

Also, I just like to remind people that the reason Sweden designed their own reactors was to allow them to make weapons grade isotopes, in case they decided they wanted to make nuclear weapons. When they eventually gave up their research program (which was nominally meant to better understand and prepare for what the larger powers were up to), they handed over enough material to make a couple of nukes to the IAEA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, I'm super jealous of that. The only large scale system in the US that I'm aware of that is actually using cogeneration (waste heat from power generation) is in NYC (Manhattan at least). ConEd (the local utility) still supplies steam power, which is absolutely still in use for more than just heat and cooling (literal steam elevators as well as things like commercial equipment uses).

Lots of campuses have there own steam plants and there are small pockets of it in industrial areas. Don't know if any of them are cogeneration though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

The GSA provides steam to a bunch of federal buildings in downtown DC. The guys in my union who have worked in the tunnels that transport the steam (and return condensate) have the most OSHA stories.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

The dad of one of my friends lived in Stockholm back when Sweden were developing their native nuclear power plant technology, and his district was heated with reactor waste heat - presumably after a heat exchange or three to make it safe. It was apparently cheap or free, so people heated their driveways to remove snow, and the like. He apparently once got a letter asking if they could please consider using a bit more heating, since they dumped the surplus heat into a local park lake and it wasn't environmentally great.

Also, I just like to remind people that the reason Sweden designed their own reactors was to allow them to make weapons grade isotopes, in case they decided they wanted to make nuclear weapons. When they eventually gave up their research program (which was nominally meant to better understand and prepare for what the larger powers were up to), they handed over enough material to make a couple of nukes to the IAEA.

For what it's worth, all nuke plants have a heat exchanger between the main coolant lol on the reactor and the water that drives the turbines.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Anything involving pressurized steam is always gonna be pretty OSHA by default.

Motronic posted:

Lots of campuses have there own steam plants and there are small pockets of it in industrial areas. Don't know if any of them are cogeneration though.

I confess that I don't quite see the point of it if it's not waste heat, that you'd have anyway. Actually moving heat that way rather than generating it on site seems like it would almost always be somewhat wasteful.

Computer viking posted:

Here they literally bill you extra if you return the coolant water without drawing enough heat out of it. :v: So it's important to have your system set up right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I confess that I don't quite see the point of it if it's not waste heat, that you'd have anyway. Actually moving heat that way rather than generating it on site seems like it would almost always be somewhat wasteful.

It's cheaper/cleaner to maintain one large plant than to have a bunch of fuel-fed heaters all over your campus at varying levels of maintenance/age/efficiency level. There's definitely some level of waste involved, but the efficiencies of scale make up for that in a well designed system.

It's the same reason we don't each have a diesel or natural gas generator sitting outside of our homes and instead typically use power that's been generated centrally. There are a lot of transmission losses, but not enough to make up for the scale efficiency.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's a real beaut for the ambitious handyman:

https://emgl.dk/bolig/33290000247/skovmarken-11-3390-hundested/
(Translated, but the slideshow doesn't work properly: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&u=https://emgl.dk/bolig/33290000247/skovmarken-11-3390-hundested/)

The photoshopped lit fireplace in the full screen picture of the living room is :discourse:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For what it's worth, all nuke plants have a heat exchanger between the main coolant lol on the reactor and the water that drives the turbines.

Nope. Pressurized water reactors do, but in boiling water reactors it's a single coolant loop, the main coolant turns to steam and goes right into the high-pressure turbine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's a real beaut for the ambitious handyman:

https://emgl.dk/bolig/33290000247/skovmarken-11-3390-hundested/
(Translated, but the slideshow doesn't work properly: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&u=https://emgl.dk/bolig/33290000247/skovmarken-11-3390-hundested/)

The photoshopped lit fireplace in the full screen picture of the living room is :discourse:

Lmao, there isn’t a gas connection and the only source of heating is an oil furnace “in unknown condition”.

On the plus side, its cheap enough that a complete rebuild would make a profit. That’s a pretty desirable area for vacationers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

A nuclear-heated greenhouse was something I never knew I wanted. :jebstare:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

District heat is very uncommon here in the states, the exceptions being large campuses laid out before the 40s.

It didn't really pay to dig tunnels and run the pipe unless you had more than 6 buildings in a group.

I'm hoping it comes back into vogue for cooling as restrictions on refrigerants increase. Rooftop units and large dx circuits can suck my nuts.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

A nuclear-heated greenhouse was something I never knew I wanted. :jebstare:

Looking at it, Ågestadverket was designated as a "nuclear heating plant" - it was an 80 MW plant that produced 10 MW of electricity and the rest went to district heating. Designed to scale to 200 MW and could be expanded with more turbines, but as I understand it it was a clunky early design and they closed it instead of trying to modernise it.

So yeah it would make some sense to use it to heat your pineapple operation.

e: The MW numbers are slightly different between the Swedish and English article, but close enough. The Swedish article also has more pictures, if Scandinavian reactors from the 60s is your thing.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Sacramento has a plant that provides both heat and cooling to 23 state run buildings with, what I assume, is an extensive pipe network.
https://www.usa.skanska.com/what-we-deliver/projects/206619/California-Department-of-General-Services%2C-Sacramento-Central-Utility-Plant

Please note this fucker was built in the 2000s.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

It's cheaper/cleaner to maintain one large plant than to have a bunch of fuel-fed heaters all over your campus at varying levels of maintenance/age/efficiency level. There's definitely some level of waste involved, but the efficiencies of scale make up for that in a well designed system.

It's the same reason we don't each have a diesel or natural gas generator sitting outside of our homes and instead typically use power that's been generated centrally. There are a lot of transmission losses, but not enough to make up for the scale efficiency.

Oh yeah, for a campus, definitely. Just thinking more for like... an entire city district. You may be right in general, though.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

Lmao, there isn’t a gas connection and the only source of heating is an oil furnace “in unknown condition”.

On the plus side, its cheap enough that a complete rebuild would make a profit. That’s a pretty desirable area for vacationers.

If you burn it down, you'll take care of the gardening at the same time :pseudo:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slanderer posted:

If the house is over 100 years old and isn't brick, then yes lol. At least in my part of the country, where all the houses that old have had steel beams installed in the basement to keep the structure from continuing to sag

Lots of wooden houses here that are centuries old, even a few examples that where built a thousand years ago. Now they are naturally muesum buildings of course.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nm posted:

Sacramento has a plant that provides both heat and cooling to 23 state run buildings with, what I assume, is an extensive pipe network.
https://www.usa.skanska.com/what-we-deliver/projects/206619/California-Department-of-General-Services%2C-Sacramento-Central-Utility-Plant

That link said they are replacing an older plant with insufficient capacity. I'm reading this as they already had district hvac, they just built a new central plant building rather than refurbishing the old one.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have been in the utility tunnels of the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam a few times. The VU campus consists of the main building, the science and mathmatics building (which contains a cyclotron) the central heating and electricity plant and the academic hospital. They're all connected together via the tunnels.

They had several functions - all the heat comes from one central heating and electricity plant, so there are huge heating pipes in there, that always make the tunnels quite warm. Furthermore they're used as an underground passage way for the little electric waste collection trolleys.
And finally, they are in use to take radioactive isotopes from the Cyclotron in the science/mathmatics building to the academic hospital for people who receive radiation treatment.

The tunnels were a nice way to get from one building to another without getting wet when it rains, but these days they're not accessible anymore to students. They're heavily guarded by cameras, so while it's easy enough to run into them when a waste collection trolley passes through, the security will be waiting for you on the other side... Sad times, i actually was planning to do a cyberpunk photo shoot in there, but right after coming up with the idea they were closed off. There's enough light in there to make proper pictures with a modern camera, but it's dark enough for a gritty and gloomy atmosphere.

They're constructed rather well, with fire escapes to the ground level in several locations. But unless you know where those are, they're hard to find.

But this is crapper construction, it wouldn't be right to end this post without bad things happening!

Reportedly the soil under the math and science building is so soggy, that the pressure of the building on the soil makes it possible for ground water to be pushed up through cavities and walls in the building, up to the first floor. I haven't witnessed it myself, but there are various reports of ground water leaking into the first floor.

The late 60s building is scheduled to have been demolished 10 years ago already, but it gets delayed time and time again because there are just too many scientists that need to use the place.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i have a campus crapper story. a college near me built a new building a few years back, and the first spring after it was constructed the snow melted and put one corner of the building in knee-deep water, because the builders hadn't properly accounted for that part of the building being below-grade of the roads beside it. the kicker was that this corner of the building was the new location of the campus bookstore, so it ruined all of the very expensive textbooks they had for sale :discourse:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MRC48B posted:

That link said they are replacing an older plant with insufficient capacity. I'm reading this as they already had district hvac, they just built a new central plant building rather than refurbishing the old one.

It didn't feed as many buildings.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
downtown Milwaukee is pretty much all steam heat from a coal fired plant just south of downtown.... the valley power plant is huge and it only makes steam - no electricity. it's getting pretty old, dunno what they plan to do once it needs to be replaced.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

nm posted:

It's probably entirely by chance, but it's sort of apropos that Skanska is Swedish. :)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Karnythia/status/1425210858163081222?s=20

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What proportion of that is cramming units in and what is converted building with load bearing members all over

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

the yeti posted:

What proportion of that is cramming units in and what is converted building with load bearing members all over

And what proportion is a rabid dabus going buck wild

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

the yeti posted:

I'm guessing a way to shove three bedrooms w/ windows and closets and room for a queen-size bed into a space that was too small for a 3-bedroom

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The longer I stare the more confused I get.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I’m guessing this is an old folks home…hopefully before it’s nicely painted and decorated?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

student accommodation iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
so do upper floor residents get in and out via a rope ladder slung over the balcony or what