Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I just got to Khiva, mother fucker this game. Have to make a new run with some lessons learned, see below for what I think might be able to crack it.

I used to make huge behemoths but in reality a medium ship like this can usually take on the biggest groups without too much damage, its fast and not very expensive. One of these flown with care should take you through to the end of the game.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FYpo11MDaTYp0YKZtZX1ZpiyZLP6aH5L?usp=sharing

Here is my replacement flagship, fast, lots of bombers, some strategic missiles, and a lot of fuel.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nYs3X4Uyw86DK5b24SSDjBx_7XlzNA-g?usp=sharing

This little sucker brings tons of fuel and is fast enough to keep up with almost anything. Super cheap, grab 2 or 3 per group and have tons of range.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EKQ6ayZ1Zigc8T7CNiPqo7FEhEqw2XsN?usp=sharing

My second carrier so I can split my fleet and cover more ground. Pretty fast, able to launch cruise missiles and 10 bombers.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NKHjGTNE5blG9jFMPcl8glm7EqZPs36C?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

when you meet tarkharans (sic) is there a way to know what the best responses are or is it just trial and error over multiple runs until you sorta figure out everyone's personality?

I like to think they get so offended by your missteps that they just jet the gently caress off to stick it to this rude as hell sky duke

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

rage-saq posted:

This little sucker brings tons of fuel and is fast enough to keep up with almost anything. Super cheap, grab 2 or 3 per group and have tons of range.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EKQ6ayZ1Zigc8T7CNiPqo7FEhEqw2XsN?usp=sharing

How did you flip the engines upside down? I'm not able to rotate thrusters. Also I love the concept of these downward-only thrusters increasing this ship's speed

Marzzle posted:

when you meet tarkharans (sic) is there a way to know what the best responses are or is it just trial and error over multiple runs until you sorta figure out everyone's personality?

I like to think they get so offended by your missteps that they just jet the gently caress off to stick it to this rude as hell sky duke

They're all kind of hinted at through their introductions and design, e.g. the one that says some religious saying to you when they first meet you is clearly a fan of kindness, spirituality, not a fan of the empire, etc. But no, there's no way to know for sure

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 9, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

rage-saq posted:

My second carrier so I can split my fleet and cover more ground. Pretty fast, able to launch cruise missiles and 10 bombers.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NKHjGTNE5blG9jFMPcl8glm7EqZPs36C?usp=sharing

Not all too different than the Longbow, but those extra fuel tanks make all the difference. Will have a nice spot in my fleets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So here is a question because I'm a dense dumbass, where do you put these ship files to use them in your game? Just in the "ships" folder in the main directory? I even looked through the (rad) manual and didn't figure out out asking the internet at large. :(

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

KakerMix posted:

So here is a question because I'm a dense dumbass, where do you put these ship files to use them in your game? Just in the "ships" folder in the main directory? I even looked through the (rad) manual and didn't figure out out asking the internet at large. :(

You just grab both file for each ship (pic and info file) and drop them in the ship folder wherever you installed Highfleet.

Here is the archived list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15aJC186FB5JM08b-mJH7rPZ9XugdU_cJMh84P9Y4g0E/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=115007234046050656279

VVVV You're a mad man!

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2021

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

deep dish peat moss posted:

How did you flip the engines upside down? I'm not able to rotate thrusters. Also I love the concept of these downward-only thrusters increasing this ship's speed

Right click and flip the whole ship upside down :science:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rage-saq posted:

Right click and flip the whole ship upside down :science:

Wait do they work in battle??

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

There's something about making these small ships. This is the Chirper. Affordable ELINT / ECM distraction with good loiter time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Wait do they work in battle??

Yes but its not why you should be doing it, its just cheesing the stats to keep up with the other ships at the minimal weight/cost.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Friction posted:

There's something about making these small ships. This is the Chirper. Affordable ELINT / ECM distraction with good loiter time.

lose the landing gear for even longer loiter

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Marzzle posted:

They don't change between runs, so at this point i just have a notepad with their personality notes. Also, the personalities affect how much they like one gift over another - imperial banners for people that like the empire, icons for the faithful, etc etc

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Does anyone know if partially blocking sensors actually matter at all? I know that fully blocked static thruster won't work, but what would happen here?

Partial or full IR detection capabilities?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Friction posted:

Does anyone know if partially blocking sensors actually matter at all? I know that fully blocked static thruster won't work, but what would happen here?

Partial or full IR detection capabilities?

If the arc is partially blocked, it will reduce your IR detection range by the % of both arcs that are blocked.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Supposedly you might not spot something on the ground, but whether this is actually the case is 🤷‍♀️

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I've never understood the point of the IR bearing readout. If I point it towards the IR contact, a bunch of dots start streaming down which confirms there's something in that direction I guess?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Atlanton posted:

I've never understood the point of the IR bearing readout. If I point it towards the IR contact, a bunch of dots start streaming down which confirms there's something in that direction I guess?

Well, yeah. It's a cheap, passive sensor that can't be detected while in use. You can use it to spot transport fleets, who don't broadcast their positions with radar. And it can detect anything else incoming if you don't have any better working sensors, though probably late enough that you won't be able to escape whatever it is.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Ok, I've gone full hyper optimizing on my ships, added a little more APS, made it a little lighter/faster, has slightly lower range but better weapon coverage. I think this is the final version of my main assault destroyer. The large fuel tank gave it better range but blocked a lot of the bullets in all direction, now the beast that takes out strike groups hits a little harder.
Terminator v3.5

On the HighGoon archive doc and linked here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zBy2d_dHjyrKpZC0fQoOJGXwXCddYqbU?usp=sharing

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
By the time you have a strong peak on the 360 sensor, they're basically on top of you already. The bearing scanner is more digital - either there's a thing there, and you get a track, or not.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Atlanton posted:

It helps you find stuff that's outside of visual range, without having to use your radar and reveal your position. Due to its short range, I've mostly found it useful on offense: if I know basically where something is and want to sneak up on it without using radar for a surprise attack, the IR scanner will help me fine-tune and find the exact position.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is there a breakdown of what all of the sensors do/are good for/etc? The signal intelligence side of things is where my knowledge is lacking.

For example, I assume the antennas are for basic radio intercepts but I dunno if you need more than one or what.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Is there a breakdown of what all of the sensors do/are good for/etc? The signal intelligence side of things is where my knowledge is lacking.
ELINT: on all the time, detects radar signals and reports their bearing. every group you have should have at least one of these since it'll tell you when you're about to run into a strike group
Radar: turn this on to die instantly
IR: every time this has ever pinged anything it's turned out to be an incoming cruise missile
radio: antennae are literally the cheapest part in the game and having them doesn't really seem to do anything beyond letting you get radio intercepts
jammer: turn this on to die instantly but on purpose

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Capntastic posted:

For example, I assume the antennas are for basic radio intercepts but I dunno if you need more than one or what.

HF Antenna: Interception of Radio communications which can give you important information about enemy movement. Accurate bearing, No range but I think always from a city so if you draw a line down the bearing you'll get range, Passive detection and can not be blocked but they do start encrypting them and its a minigame. Maximum range seems to be about ~2,000km and I don't know if more antenna's extend that.

Visual: 100% accurate, Passive Detection, cannot be intercepted or blocked, 100km range at midday, 75km at night, range doesn't appear to change flying vs landed

Thermal: Accurate bearing, very rough range. Passive Detection, cannot be intercepted or blocked, range depends on the target thermal signature (number of engines), Most prize ships show up at about 300km. Range doesn't appear to change based on flying vs landed. Useful for detecting prize ships, as well as incoming missiles and fighters, without giving away your own position. Turn the dial until the line is on the bearing of detected signal. The waterfall chart will show you bearing rate. Bearing rate mostly gives you direction of travel. As it sweeps to the left or right that lets you know what side of you its going to pass on, if the rate is 0 (vertical trace) its heading directly toward or away from you. With bearing rate and speed you can get current position, or with an initial position you can calculate speed from bearing rate.

ELINT: Detects radar emissions. Bearing accurate to +/- 15 degrees, very rough range. Passive Detection, cannot be intercepted, ECM will spoof it to make range appear much much closer than reality, but bearing will still be valid. Detection range depends on the target Electronic Signature (ECM > Big Radar > Small Radar). Reduced range when landed. ELINT (Or a "Radar Warning Receiver, RWR) will pick up radar generally about 2-4x the distance that the radar will detect anything back. -P and -NP missiles use ELINT to home in on their targets.

Radar: Bearing roughly accurate, the closer the better, Accurate range. Active Detection and will get detected by enemy ELINT from much further away than you can see them. The risk of counter-detection is the price for the accuracy of it. Detection range depends on the target ship Radar Cross Section (RCS), up to the maximum range of the radar itself. The bigger the ship the bigger the RCS and the further out it can be seen. Radar range is reduced by being landed. ECM will fuzz out entire sectors of radar, so you'll know that there is something there similar to ELINT, but with no info on range or exact bearing. Great for situational intelligence especially on ships that can move quickly to stay out of retaliation range by missiles and fighters.

I have yet to see any enemy cheat these rules, and as far as I can tell the AI only makes decisions based on the intel it has from sensors.

If you think radar/thermals pick up incoming missiles, Turn off your radar if its on. you can use a single pulse radar to range it. Juke 90 degrees from its path and try to haul rear end out of its search cone. If it turns on you anyway turn on ECM and juke again. -P missiles will home in on radar and ECM, while a regular missile will have its search cone substantially reduced by ECM. You can also use a fast ECM ship of your own in between an enemy radar and your strike group to jam their radar and divert any -P missiles to it instead of your main fleet for a getaway.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

M_Gargantua posted:

Sensor Rundown

Awesome, thanks! Gonna work on playing smarter on the strategic leve with this info.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Also with an antenna - I think it allows you to relay orders to your strike groups. I think at least one of your ships in the strike group needs an antenna in order for you to keep control of it. That I'm not entirely sure of and have only seen people mention it online.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
One of the things to note is that the radar you get off of FCS modules gives real-time information whereas the early warning radar just gives direction.

However, they both trigger ELINT so they're mostly there to find missiles and merchants. Enemy strike/missile groups will always be blazing away with active radar so you don't need any kind of radar module to find them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I believe the signal strength of an intercepted radio message corresponds to its distance. I don't know exactly how it breaks down but if strength is all the way on the right side of the gauge the source is relatively close.

Always wondered if frequencies indicated anything but never took the time to note them down and figure it out.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 9, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

IR: every time this has ever pinged anything it's turned out to be an incoming cruise missile

Sometimes it's an incoming enemy fighter wing!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
One time an interceptor squad heading to an old intel center picked up a trade ship on thermal that I would have missed otherwise.

Just once, though.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Running into an issue where I'm automatically losing fights. I'm pretty sure it has to do with low morale but I still have a number of ships with morale that I've lined up to fight first and my capital ships till have morale.

Having a blast with the game so far. Definitely still challenging even with the advice given. Running some 130mm Lightnings has made a huge difference. I used a group of 3 along with a tanker as a strike force then had the Sevastopol take other cities at the same time. I think I still have some work to do on figuring out the economy and some of the aspects of the game. Maybe run leaner strike forces, probably could take on plenty of cities with just 2 Lightnings and a smaller more efficient tanker. I haven't really taken advantage of aircraft carriers or missiles yet even!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TescoBag posted:

Also with an antenna - I think it allows you to relay orders to your strike groups. I think at least one of your ships in the strike group needs an antenna in order for you to keep control of it. That I'm not entirely sure of and have only seen people mention it online.

I don't think so, my latest playthrough where I am totally going to win I split my squad in two and have been going up the east/west sides of the map, I'm pretty sure the second squad has 0 antenna

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

lets hang out posted:

I believe the signal strength of an intercepted radio message corresponds to its distance. I don't know exactly how it breaks down but if strength is all the way on the right side of the gauge the source is relatively close.

Always wondered if frequencies indicated anything but never took the time to note them down and figure it out.

I thought maybe it'd be military/civillian etc but idk. they deffo use different ciphers for military v civillian

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Posting some of my builds -

Mauler gunship:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14NRV59JE51fQpoow2UUiJKBG1PcNxr08

Straightforward brawler with good TWR, speed and armor. It’s armed with 2x 6x180mms as its main battery with 4x 130mm molots as secondaries. Both weapons have similar projectile speeds, so they complement each other beautifully. For point defense, 4x CIWS.

I also went to the trouble of fitting an AAM suite since the only things that can realistically harm this ship are aircraft and missiles- particularly nukes. It was tricky to incorporate it without leaving glaring weaknesses in the armor but angling them in such a way that incoming shots can’t directly enter the structure works great. The little armored “hood” above the fire control radars keeps them reasonably safe as well. It has hidden APS along the top armor. Kudos to Back Hack and Ceebees for the inspiration for that.

It can kill the large level 10 test fleets no problem and campaign strike groups are a joke. It costs about the same as a Sevastopol, so with the changes to bonuses taking it in your starting fleet is definitely a tradeoff. It needs constant tanker support on account of its short range and poor fuel economy.

Vladivostok support carrier:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B4f6G99VclHYUZpdqasxUSTM5_MG5uvc?usp=sharing

A very lean dedicated flagship or task force leader with the same strategic capabilities as the Sev, but at half the cost, twice the speed, 3x better fuel economy, jammers, similar range and a decent fighter compliment for its size (I like interceptors. Interceptors kick rear end). For point defense it has 9 AA missiles, 2x CIWS and 360-degree APS.

Beat the campaign with this as my flag. It’s a good boat.

Crossbow light escort carrier:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UhxYJPICA9gSJG5XOsudTK5Hk1k5VMD0?usp=sharing

A sawnoff longbow, more efficient than the wasp and longbow in terms of range and fighter compliment because it gets rid of all the unnecessary bullshit. Very fast and cheap.

edit: will add these to the goonfleet page soon

Top Gun Reference fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 10, 2021

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I would love a post-combat screen, sort of like Carmageddon post-race, where you can inspect whatever main chunk is left of each enemy.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Whats the difference between the two aircraft types?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rage-saq posted:

Here is my replacement flagship, fast, lots of bombers, some strategic missiles, and a lot of fuel.

Added to goonfleet ship page, direct link here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nYs3X4Uyw86DK5b24SSDjBx_7XlzNA-g?usp=sharing

victorian clawfoot bathtub-lookin rear end flyin right at your enemies

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

TescoBag posted:

Whats the difference between the two aircraft types?

The smaller one is a fighter that's mostly relegated to try to intercept incoming missile, aircraft, and recon. The bigger one can carry rocket and bombs to attack enemy ships.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Second mission in after prologue, land two badly damaged ships, then finally the Sevastopol for minor repairs. It's black as pitch and storming outside so I can only see thrusters half the time, doing everything by radar. As I go to land the Sevastopol, holy poo poo this thing is huge and hard to stop. I see a nice large flat area for the Sevastopol with a nice bonus and aim towards it. There are two weirdly angles slopes on radar either side of where I want to land, but no matter I've done off camber landings already, just need rotate a bit. I ease it in perfectly, except the slopes are now crumpling oddly to fit my landing gear. Odd. The Sevastopol eventually flattens out and the camera pulls back signaling a successful landing, thank God. Explosions. Weird must have had a harder landing than I realized, it is a huge beast.

I go to the shipyard to start repairs, only.... Where are the two badly damaged ships..... OH. MY. GOD. Did I just flatten my only two combat ships?

:shepicide:: Yup.

10/10, restart campaign.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone's posting all of these cool elaborate builds but so far the only combat builds I've made are the 130mm lightning and a kormoran with the electronics and missiles stripped off and replaced with armour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Mr. Crow posted:

Second mission in after prologue, land two badly damaged ships, then finally the Sevastopol for minor repairs. It's black as pitch and storming outside so I can only see thrusters half the time, doing everything by radar. As I go to land the Sevastopol, holy poo poo this thing is huge and hard to stop. I see a nice large flat area for the Sevastopol with a nice bonus and aim towards it. There are two weirdly angles slopes on radar either side of where I want to land, but no matter I've done off camber landings already, just need rotate a bit. I ease it in perfectly, except the slopes are now crumpling oddly to fit my landing gear. Odd. The Sevastopol eventually flattens out and the camera pulls back signaling a successful landing, thank God. Explosions. Weird must have had a harder landing than I realized, it is a huge beast.

I go to the shipyard to start repairs, only.... Where are the two badly damaged ships..... OH. MY. GOD. Did I just flatten my only two combat ships?

:shepicide:: Yup.

10/10, restart campaign.

How can Pyotr chastise me for risking the lives of the men with a teensy bit of ramming but say nothing when I land one of my ships on top of the other?