Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BadLlama posted:

So may be silly, but is your deep ground scanner still powered on? If it is off or destroyed all those deposit wont show up anymore. No idea if it also doesn't let you drill but I don't think so.

Oh :doh:. Yeah it broke down at some point and was forbidden so never repaired. Maybe I just misremembered where a deposit was. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

This is ordinarily a slightly warm desert.

At least you are within the laws of physics!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Just did my first alt-f4 in as long as I can remember, and it was just because my 15 med skill doctor somehow managed to destroy both lungs and the kidney of the patient while attaching a prosthetic leg.

Less Arbitrary Surgery is a good mod.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

isndl posted:

His whole mantra is that Rimworld is a story generator, not a game. You don't need an ending as long as things keep happening, and there's a whole lot of mechanics to generate action without forcing it using hundreds of raiders swarming your walls. Even if you designed a perfectly secure bunker and banished newcomers to avoid internal strife, you'd eventually have to start making decisions on how to handle everyone dying of old age (prior to biosculpting in Ideology, anyways) - why do the default settings ramp raids up to enormous sizes that drop your tick rate to single digits? Why does that storyteller pressure have to be external threats rather than internal struggle?

Compared to other games Rimworld is extremely lenient and lets you make all sorts of difficulty adjustments without modding even in the middle of play, and the sky's the limit once you start including mods. That's good. There's a reason why the thread's long-standing advice is switch the storyteller to Randy however, and I'm just questioning what led him to make the choice of default that nearly everyone disagrees with. People have love/hate relationships with insects or mechs, but the preference for Randy seems nearly universal.

Typically when people describe a 'story', they mean something with a defined beginning, middle, and an end; with games it's a term employed in contrast to sandbox style stuff, multiplayer shooters etc. that have none of these and where you just kinda make your own fun with the tools provided you get bored and leave. Or in contrast to the guy rambling interminably on the bus, I guess.

The problems design-wise with a game that just runs forever until you get bored are 1. an optional challenge where you wait 30 years for all your colonists to die of old age is astoundingly boring, even in a genre of sandboxy city builder stuff that's kinda niche because most people think they're dull and 2. this is an indie game made by some schmo with a strictly limited ability to produce content; without that endgame you'd just hit the same point in gameplay hours and end up going in circles repeating the same limited amount of events and tasks until you got sick of this lovely half-finished game and ditched it. Mods can draw out new gameplay more or less indefinitely, but they can just as easily patch out the existence of the endgame - it's Tynan's job to create something that works standalone. And while I rarely bother to make a ship in the same way I think I've actually drilled to Hell once in Dwarf Fortress, I still appreciate being able to kinda pick the level of intensity I wanna build towards, and it's a lot easier to mod a sandboxy gently caress-around game that never ends on the framework of something with a plot than it is to mod some kind of escalating plot onto SimCity.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah rimatomics only adds one research option, and then has its own unlock and research system once you build the bench.

yeah Rimatomics is... really poorly integrated into the rest of the game, to the point where it's kinda confusing how you work with it half the time

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 9, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

At least you are within the laws of physics!

Well obviously there's windchill.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am guessing our pawns don't make babies cause they would either need to be immune to damage until they are adults or you couldn't sell the game in like all of the EU?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BadLlama posted:

I am guessing our pawns don't make babies cause they would either need to be immune to damage until they are adults or you couldn't sell the game in like all of the EU?

tynan explicitly responded to this by saying that it's more that rimworld doesn't really operate on those time scales so making a system that actually handled pregnancy, birth, and childrearing well would be a stupefying amount of effort for a system that one in every 10k players would ever actually engage with, everyone else would just do whatever it took to avoid pregnancy because kids are necessarily going to be a lot of work for no gain for at least 4-5 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just reverse the polarity on the biosculpter and connect it to the spaceship reactor, slap the little shits in there for five minutes on high and they'll come out done to perfection.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
and then a mod that does this came out and it has about 140 thousand subscribers

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541438230&searchtext=children

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the biggest issue with kids is that you either need to heavily abstract away childhood (which conflicts with the rest of how the game handles time) or deal with the fact that even the longest running heavily modded colonies are usually running out of steam after 10-12 years and either straining under performance issues or the fact that there is literally nothing left to do.

Flesh Forge posted:

and then a mod that does this came out and it has about 140 thousand subscribers

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541438230&searchtext=children

Like this is a great example, kids start at age 15 when born because dealing with younger children isn't great and Rimworld does not handle it well.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 9, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tynan read the dwarf fortress mermaid farm story and realized adding kids is a terrible idea

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

tynan explicitly responded to this by saying that it's more that rimworld doesn't really operate on those time scales so making a system that actually handled pregnancy, birth, and childrearing well would be a stupefying amount of effort for a system that one in every 10k players would ever actually engage with, everyone else would just do whatever it took to avoid pregnancy because kids are necessarily going to be a lot of work for no gain for at least 4-5 years.

Yeah I wouldn't want to wait 18 years but it would be interesting if you could toss them in a growth chamber for a year or two.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

OwlFancier posted:

This is ordinarily a slightly warm desert.

I disable volcanic winter and toxic fallout on every playthrough. Nothing about either of those events add any interesting gameplay.

Its also like the ideology and its funny hats bullshit. I feel like putting the hat on of your role should be a bonus, not a constant mood debuff. I usually turn all the hate requirements off for my playthroughs but I missed one and I hate the fact that this idiot now gets headshot at a blink of an eye.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly I think I would like if I specify, say, a robe, the game should be happy with either a robe, a fancy robe, or an eltex robe.

Also i am actually perfectly happy for the outside to be a blasted hellscape because I aint going out there anyway, that's not toxic fallout that's a toxin sprayer that I haven't bothered to get rid of.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 9, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

let's be real most of the people modding children into the game aren't doing it because they want a generational fortress

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

let's be real most of the people modding children into the game aren't doing it because they want a generational fortress

ah some weird sex thing?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

A Rimworld youtuber literally just finished up a generational colony with children aging all the way up from birth to adulthood and then dying in their 70s or 80s, but had to use a sort of time dilation mod for it to make sense/be possible.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Didn't know this was possible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Broken Cog posted:

And Deer gave the child a cruel name, a name that means half-formed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BadLlama posted:

ah some weird sex thing?

you're on somethingawful, don't even pretend to be so naive you didn't know breeding was a fetish for some people

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hungry posted:

A Rimworld youtuber literally just finished up a generational colony with children aging all the way up from birth to adulthood and then dying in their 70s or 80s, but had to use a sort of time dilation mod for it to make sense/be possible.

I actually did this earlier in the thread, and just ... ran the colony like 25 years, that was the most engrossing playthrough I've ever had. I have so many fond memories of that game, it finally just broke and became unplayable due to some kind of bug I think.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Took a quest to house 3 tribals for a few hours. 3 different breacher raids of about 50 tribals each hit my base from different sides, I sincerely doubt I could have won without repeated drone strikes and sacrificing all my hacked mechanoids.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hungry posted:

It also showed exactly why that doesn't work super well in Rimworld as in the time it took to recruit people they had usually aged out of being able to have kids so by the end of the series a mere 6 generations down the line you had a family tree that was uh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is that mod for children creepy or weird or is it all right? I'd quite like it just because having kids is something people do, and I would like that in the game, but I'm wary because modding is like dancing through a minefield where every mine contains some rear end in a top hat's Weird Sex Ideas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Is that mod for children creepy or weird or is it all right? I'd quite like it just because having kids is something people do, and I would like that in the game, but I'm wary because modding is like dancing through a minefield where every mine contains some rear end in a top hat's Weird Sex Ideas.

it's fine and completely innocuous, but like with real world children there are absolutely some gross weirdos that do gross things with it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

you're on somethingawful, don't even pretend to be so naive you didn't know breeding was a fetish for some people

I mean I was thinking wierd child sex poo poo, not some breeding kicks thing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

okay guys I think we get it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I regularly run colonies where the idea of the colony progressing past where I go means maybe I only get a few kids to 8-9 years old before I start a new colony, as I start them at 0. It's just satisfying to think there is a permanence to that colony.

Babies and Children mod added some more stuff related to infants, including things like toys for the kids to carry around, cribs, onesies, etc. Aesthetic kids would be happy carrying around an awful quality pigskin dinosaur, most other kids would feel a little sad about it (but super stoked at their excellent quality camel hide stuffy bear).

I like to combine a children/pregnancy mod with Vanilla Books Expanded so the kids can start studying in whatever's been written about. Even normal quality books in a variety of topics means that even when the kids hit 7 years old they can be already at 6+ skill level in... anything. Everything. They get useful pretty fast at that stage.

Now, with the ability to support extramarital relations in Ideology (though I've not seen non-lover colonists have hook ups... is it a thing?) that could encourage more diverse breeding genetics than the aforementioned play through.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I've had colonies run 10-15 years easy with SOS2. When things get too crazy or boring just pack everyone into the ship and jump to a newly generated planet with a different gimmick.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have the 'Animals are people' meme maybe?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Away all Goats posted:

Do you have the 'Animals are people' meme maybe?

No, just the nature primacy meme (tree connection colony). Think they bonded when Deer was patching the dryad up after a raid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Dryads can bond like any other animal. That's all they are under the hood.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I regularly run colonies where the idea of the colony progressing past where I go means maybe I only get a few kids to 8-9 years old before I start a new colony, as I start them at 0. It's just satisfying to think there is a permanence to that colony.

Babies and Children mod added some more stuff related to infants, including things like toys for the kids to carry around, cribs, onesies, etc. Aesthetic kids would be happy carrying around an awful quality pigskin dinosaur, most other kids would feel a little sad about it (but super stoked at their excellent quality camel hide stuffy bear).

I like to combine a children/pregnancy mod with Vanilla Books Expanded so the kids can start studying in whatever's been written about. Even normal quality books in a variety of topics means that even when the kids hit 7 years old they can be already at 6+ skill level in... anything. Everything. They get useful pretty fast at that stage.

Now, with the ability to support extramarital relations in Ideology (though I've not seen non-lover colonists have hook ups... is it a thing?) that could encourage more diverse breeding genetics than the aforementioned play through.

Ahhh that sounds cute, thank you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Ahhh that sounds cute, thank you.

It honestly kinda is, it's real fulfilling in a way.

As usually the colonists have their own room, sometimes I put down a crib or a sleeping roll for the baby to sleep in initially. Given limitations of the game, the kid's got access to the local bathroom and rec room (I luckily don't have to manage potty training.....). When they're a year or so old, I move the kid into the kid room, which has a collection of cribs and sleeping rolls at one end, bookshelves, a chess table (or Ur), a small table with chairs, and a small TV +/- blackboard/few tables. They're usually right next to the main room and so near a major bathroom. Unlike some kids, they follow their zoning restrictions well so they don't wander too far from safety in case of raid or animal attack.

I forget which of the kid mods adds more kid interactions - I think it's Babies and Children though - but colonists will go to play with the babies in their cribs, the kids have their own version of nuzzling (something like, "The cuteness of a child"), and the aforementioned kids toys.

I also make sure to change their Drug Policy to No Drugs when they're born. Given they're small... well... we've all seen what happens to Yorkies in the space coke stash.

Dangit colonists, you got kids now, you gotta put kid safe locks on the space coke cabinet!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

With my attempt at a base built from separate buildings plus not having a wall or killbox, I feel like I am running out of room on the default map sizes. I was thinking of building my next base on a larger than default map size, if only to give me more time to mobilize a defense when raids show up. The game has warnings about the larger maps, but does it really cause any problems?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Danaru posted:

Tynan: "I've done plenty of research to find the proportion of sexual preferences between the sexes, the data implies bisexual men dont exist and while that doesnt seem right, I must implement it for realism's sake"

Also Tynan: "Mortars are too fun, you have to buy tubes now"

As a bisexual male, the gently caress?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Twibbit posted:

As a bisexual male, the gently caress?

Its where the thread title came from (its a play on the old 'No Man's Bi')

Tynan read some kind of population statistical analysis that said basically all women are at least somewhat bi and men are either hard gay or hard straight and implemented that behind the scenes in pawn generation. He changed it years ago after a ton of backlash but was doubling down on it for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it was based off some stats published by a dating site or something?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

With my attempt at a base built from separate buildings plus not having a wall or killbox, I feel like I am running out of room on the default map sizes. I was thinking of building my next base on a larger than default map size, if only to give me more time to mobilize a defense when raids show up. The game has warnings about the larger maps, but does it really cause any problems?

Unless I have missed something that I have wanted as a config option forever then the only map size setting is for the world map generation as a % of the planet (and planet size if you use that one mod), not the size of the actual in game map you build on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Taitale posted:

Unless I have missed something that I have wanted as a config option forever then the only map size setting is for the world map generation as a % of the planet (and planet size if you use that one mod), not the size of the actual in game map you build on.

When you're picking a spot to land you can change the size of the map you land on. Default is 275x275 but you can go down to 150x150 or up to 400x400

You do get a little warning if you set it too big or small though and it can start loving with pathfinding calculations etc.