Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's a decent resume, but the programming is light. I think Kodi addons are decent projects but software companies are usually less button up than engineering firms. I think of you're looking to get more info coding you'll need some good projects to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Lockback posted:

It's a decent resume, but the programming is light. I think Kodi addons are decent projects but software companies are usually less button up than engineering firms. I think of you're looking to get more info coding you'll need some good projects to show off.

Thanks, I'll see if i can elaborate/add a few more examples of programming and remove some of the other engineering stuff. Do you have any thoughts on how to communicate extensive Linux/command line/scripting/compiling/debugging experience on a resume? I spend 70% of my working time in a Linux environment so I'm very familiar w/ the gory details of computing. Sometimes I even end up teaching some of the younger IT people how to do/fix stuff. I'm just not sure how to communicate that in a resume bullet point.

If I can find some room i'll add some of the Kodi stuff. One of them is python/bash/docker plugin that runs a custom container to run an unsupported application on Raspberry Pi systems. Seems like enough buzzwords to garner some interest. My biggest concern with adding it was some people associate Kodi w/ piracy these days but I'll keep it vague.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

"Cross-team SME for Linux/compiling/debugging" is how I would start to write it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I've been working at the same company for 3 years. This is the only job I've worked in my chosen field as an environmental scientist, I started at an entry level position as a gofer assistant and have been promoted several times and am now managing several habitat restoration projects. I have applied for a position at a nearby state park which has some overlap in duties, but also involves some tasks I haven't done since I was an undergrad 6 or 7 years ago. I just heard back from the state today saying that they'd like me to do a Zoom interview next week and also requesting an unofficial transcript and a writing sample.

The hiring process for the company I'm currently with was very basic, just submitting my resume and cover letter and a single interview. I'm not entirely sure what the expectation are for a writing sample in a technical field . I've written many reports ranging from 1-2 page letter memos to 6-7 page quarterly reports to 20-40 page annual reports, I'm assuming I should submit one of those on the short to medium length side, does that sound correct? Should I strip the reports of information that might identify clients and their property? If I submit an old report I authored should I disclose that it received editorial passes from my supervisor, or is that just assumed?

Also when prepping for the interview, how should I think about addressing questions about the portion of the job dealing with conducting original research, which I only did briefly in college and not at all professionally (I was upfront about this in my resume)?

I'm kind of second guessing myself because making this transition would increase my wages by at least 15% if I received the very bottom of the wage band, plus I would get actual benefits, plus way more job security, so I'm freaking out a bit right now.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Had a really great interview for a dream job, a place I wanted to work at as far back as high school. Just a great dynamic between us and felt like I was getting all the questions right. They say they'll get back to me next week. That was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep. This poo poo fucks me up. It's hard not to want to just give up and stay in my job I hate.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Had a really great interview for a dream job, a place I wanted to work at as far back as high school. Just a great dynamic between us and felt like I was getting all the questions right. They say they'll get back to me next week. That was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep. This poo poo fucks me up. It's hard not to want to just give up and stay in my job I hate.

If you haven't reached out you probably should to whoever your contact is (HR or Hiring Manager). It has been long enough that it wouldn't be weird, especially since they said it would be one week.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I've been working at the same company for 3 years. This is the only job I've worked in my chosen field as an environmental scientist, I started at an entry level position as a gofer assistant and have been promoted several times and am now managing several habitat restoration projects. I have applied for a position at a nearby state park which has some overlap in duties, but also involves some tasks I haven't done since I was an undergrad 6 or 7 years ago. I just heard back from the state today saying that they'd like me to do a Zoom interview next week and also requesting an unofficial transcript and a writing sample.

The hiring process for the company I'm currently with was very basic, just submitting my resume and cover letter and a single interview. I'm not entirely sure what the expectation are for a writing sample in a technical field . I've written many reports ranging from 1-2 page letter memos to 6-7 page quarterly reports to 20-40 page annual reports, I'm assuming I should submit one of those on the short to medium length side, does that sound correct? Should I strip the reports of information that might identify clients and their property? If I submit an old report I authored should I disclose that it received editorial passes from my supervisor, or is that just assumed?

Also when prepping for the interview, how should I think about addressing questions about the portion of the job dealing with conducting original research, which I only did briefly in college and not at all professionally (I was upfront about this in my resume)?

I'm kind of second guessing myself because making this transition would increase my wages by at least 15% if I received the very bottom of the wage band, plus I would get actual benefits, plus way more job security, so I'm freaking out a bit right now.

Just go in confident and answer all the questions best you can. You can just reference the work you did as an undergrad and how you would do it for this job for the research part, maybe not ideal but real examples are better than just platitudes and what ifs.

Not too sure what type of writing sample they are asking for. I would usually give the candidate what I want them to write about. If you give something from where you work now I would redact it a lot and probably go with the quarterly report. I wouldn't mention it was reviewed by your boss or anything, peer review is good and normal. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

spwrozek posted:

Just go in confident and answer all the questions best you can. You can just reference the work you did as an undergrad and how you would do it for this job for the research part, maybe not ideal but real examples are better than just platitudes and what ifs.

Not too sure what type of writing sample they are asking for. I would usually give the candidate what I want them to write about. If you give something from where you work now I would redact it a lot and probably go with the quarterly report. I wouldn't mention it was reviewed by your boss or anything, peer review is good and normal. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Yeah, they simply asked for a writing sample without providing a prompt, some I'm assuming they just want some of my past work. Would this be something were a simple follow up question to clarify what they're looking for wouldn't hurt?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, they simply asked for a writing sample without providing a prompt, some I'm assuming they just want some of my past work. Would this be something were a simple follow up question to clarify what they're looking for wouldn't hurt?

Seems like a good idea to me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I’m in the same boat, waiting to hear back for the 2nd round interviews which are apparently more “team fit” ones with coworkers, first round was manager and lead architect. They did say it would be a few weeks both because of other candidates and summer vacations. It sucks, I hope I hear back this week! (Also that you hear back too)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

spwrozek posted:

If you haven't reached out you probably should to whoever your contact is (HR or Hiring Manager). It has been long enough that it wouldn't be weird, especially since they said it would be one week.
I sent a thank you note at the end of the week, wouldn't it be a little weird to hit them up twice? Shouldn't I just assume at this point that I wasn't selected for the next round?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

I sent a thank you note at the end of the week, wouldn't it be a little weird to hit them up twice? Shouldn't I just assume at this point that I wasn't selected for the next round?
Worst case is you're still not hired, nobody is going to care if you follow up once more unless it's with an inscribed cake or something.

Best case is their first place candidate dipped and you remind them that you exist and are still interested and then they hire you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
1 "Hey we still alive" followup is fine, but don't send any more than that. They ignore that email that's your answer.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As an alternative, you could take advantage of their vagueness and go ahead and submit a memo and one of the other reports. Either way should be fine, but remember your mission is to show them what a great person you would be for the position and this gives you an opportunity to showcase your work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I did a “hi still here” follow up 3 weeks after being told that I was going to get a 2nd round and got a call the next day (today) saying I should get an email from the interview scheduler shortly. No idea if it was going to happen at that time frame or if I jogged their memory but it’s nice to have a bit of communication on it anyway.

So that’s nice and a good result from doing a friendly, brief check in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well I went ahead and did it, yay me! Now I can get back to throwing my resumes and cover letters into a bottomless pit that occasionally whispers "you're a worthless sack of poo poo"

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Nohearum posted:

Thanks, I'll see if i can elaborate/add a few more examples of programming and remove some of the other engineering stuff. Do you have any thoughts on how to communicate extensive Linux/command line/scripting/compiling/debugging experience on a resume? I spend 70% of my working time in a Linux environment so I'm very familiar w/ the gory details of computing. Sometimes I even end up teaching some of the younger IT people how to do/fix stuff. I'm just not sure how to communicate that in a resume bullet point.

If I can find some room i'll add some of the Kodi stuff. One of them is python/bash/docker plugin that runs a custom container to run an unsupported application on Raspberry Pi systems. Seems like enough buzzwords to garner some interest. My biggest concern with adding it was some people associate Kodi w/ piracy these days but I'll keep it vague.

Unless you're applying to a company that might want to sue Kodi, I think you're fine. Say "media player" if you're worried.

Also, just my personal opinion here, but being able to develop plugins for other systems looks good on a resume. Chances are you're about to walk into an established codebase so showing you're capable of reading a manual and developing based on that reflects well.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 6, 2021

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I am in kind of weird, but good, place. I have a third and final interview with one company (A) on Wednesday and a second interview with another company (B) on Thursday (ignoring the two first round interviews with others I have as well, which if I am being honest I would take A or B over both of those). First of all, I have never had this much success in my job hunt. I have been looking for about 4 months, and have had a number of interviews, but none have gone past the second round. I am pretty sure I have the Company A job locked up and this is just the VP putting his stamp of approval on it.

Company A is a medical recruiter for RNs, CNAs, LPNs, etc. in 13 week contract positions, so the position is a recruiter to start and then promotion to business development after about a year. First three months are hourly no commission, mostly training with some recruiting in that time period in a ramp up to a 50k base plus commission. Commission is graduated so more people you place the higher commission topping out at 15%. Slightly above average is about $4k in commissions a month. The business dev roles are making a killing right now due to Covid, with one in the office I'm applying to making over $400k. They also have a team of recruiters under them that fill the contracts. After that you can be promoted into a Director role where they average about $250k+. The company only promoting from within and they want to move people up, so that definitely checks off a box for me, along with the potential for significant money to be made. The people in the office are definitely my type of people on a personality level. They don't really come from a sales background like I do, so that makes me think I am either going to walk in and loving crush or I am going to be completely out of my element when I am trying to recruit candidates. I do like that they pay out weekly, because I need the cash and immediate success has immediate pay.

Downsides are I will be the oldest person in the office. I don't have a problem working for and with people younger than me, it just might seem weird that a 40 year old is coming in to do the same stuff recent college grads and late 20s former english majors who waited tables are now doing these roles. Covid is clearly driving a ton of business, and it won't last forever. The area that I am covering has pretty good vaccination rates, but case are on the rise. Long term won't have that crazy growth, so I can't bank on those mid 6 figure ranges. The hourly thing is a pain in the rear end. I get why they do it, but frankly, for someone like me who has a significant amount of sales experience its kind of insult.

Company B is sales rep medical equipment distributor (not DME) company that does logistics and services as well. Essentially, its selling whole medical equipment for your new hospital, surgical center, doctors office, etc (one vendor PO, rather than 20). They sell all the major brands and the major equipment like beds, autoclaves, imaging, etc. (literally they have millions of available products). It's a two state territory and while there is no company car, it is home based and there has been a shift towards more video sales calls rather than in person. The territory is well maintained. The person who had the territory has been promoted to regional manager who will oversee this position, so obviously there has been growth. It is a recoverable draw, so steady paycheck although you owe them the money that isn't covered by commission, but you should be clearing pretty significant money so that doesn't really factor in. Average reps are pulling in low to low mid 6 figures and top reps are pulling in $400-500k. My first interview was with the regional manager, and was a quick 30 minute video chat and we got along really well. Next step on Thursday is an hour long interview with the regional manager again getting more in depth. They also have some services that seem novel that I like, and as the territory is pretty well established, there are places we can go back to for referrals and general farming.

Downsides are there's not going to be a ton of upward mobility. Not a big deal necessarily, as long as I am crushing the sales side, and I look at like if I am crushing it 4-5 years down the road I could get headhunted for a bigger role elsewhere or the regional manager might retire by then and I could take that role. I could also be one of those sales rep lifers that makes too much to move up, if I can do that well. It's tough to say whether a heavy road presence will come back, and I do enjoy the road, so I will definitely need to update my home set up if I am going to be doing a lot of video calls. I'm not in love with the recoverable draw aspect, but he said he has some things in the works that will close later this year that would be a split commission between the two of us, so that would probably cover it.

I know all of this might be moot as I may not make it past round 2 with Company B, but I would like some advice from people who have been here before. I like being in this spot, but I am not sure the best course of action. I like both possibilities, and I needed to write things out to get some perspective. Thanks.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Toodles posted:

I am in kind of weird, but good, place. I have a third and final interview with one company (A) on Wednesday and a second interview with another company (B) on Thursday (ignoring the two first round interviews with others I have as well, which if I am being honest I would take A or B over both of those). First of all, I have never had this much success in my job hunt. I have been looking for about 4 months, and have had a number of interviews, but none have gone past the second round. I am pretty sure I have the Company A job locked up and this is just the VP putting his stamp of approval on it.

Company A is a medical recruiter for RNs, CNAs, LPNs, etc. in 13 week contract positions, so the position is a recruiter to start and then promotion to business development after about a year. First three months are hourly no commission, mostly training with some recruiting in that time period in a ramp up to a 50k base plus commission. Commission is graduated so more people you place the higher commission topping out at 15%. Slightly above average is about $4k in commissions a month. The business dev roles are making a killing right now due to Covid, with one in the office I'm applying to making over $400k. They also have a team of recruiters under them that fill the contracts. After that you can be promoted into a Director role where they average about $250k+. The company only promoting from within and they want to move people up, so that definitely checks off a box for me, along with the potential for significant money to be made. The people in the office are definitely my type of people on a personality level. They don't really come from a sales background like I do, so that makes me think I am either going to walk in and loving crush or I am going to be completely out of my element when I am trying to recruit candidates. I do like that they pay out weekly, because I need the cash and immediate success has immediate pay.

Downsides are I will be the oldest person in the office. I don't have a problem working for and with people younger than me, it just might seem weird that a 40 year old is coming in to do the same stuff recent college grads and late 20s former english majors who waited tables are now doing these roles. Covid is clearly driving a ton of business, and it won't last forever. The area that I am covering has pretty good vaccination rates, but case are on the rise. Long term won't have that crazy growth, so I can't bank on those mid 6 figure ranges. The hourly thing is a pain in the rear end. I get why they do it, but frankly, for someone like me who has a significant amount of sales experience its kind of insult.

Company B is sales rep medical equipment distributor (not DME) company that does logistics and services as well. Essentially, its selling whole medical equipment for your new hospital, surgical center, doctors office, etc (one vendor PO, rather than 20). They sell all the major brands and the major equipment like beds, autoclaves, imaging, etc. (literally they have millions of available products). It's a two state territory and while there is no company car, it is home based and there has been a shift towards more video sales calls rather than in person. The territory is well maintained. The person who had the territory has been promoted to regional manager who will oversee this position, so obviously there has been growth. It is a recoverable draw, so steady paycheck although you owe them the money that isn't covered by commission, but you should be clearing pretty significant money so that doesn't really factor in. Average reps are pulling in low to low mid 6 figures and top reps are pulling in $400-500k. My first interview was with the regional manager, and was a quick 30 minute video chat and we got along really well. Next step on Thursday is an hour long interview with the regional manager again getting more in depth. They also have some services that seem novel that I like, and as the territory is pretty well established, there are places we can go back to for referrals and general farming.

Downsides are there's not going to be a ton of upward mobility. Not a big deal necessarily, as long as I am crushing the sales side, and I look at like if I am crushing it 4-5 years down the road I could get headhunted for a bigger role elsewhere or the regional manager might retire by then and I could take that role. I could also be one of those sales rep lifers that makes too much to move up, if I can do that well. It's tough to say whether a heavy road presence will come back, and I do enjoy the road, so I will definitely need to update my home set up if I am going to be doing a lot of video calls. I'm not in love with the recoverable draw aspect, but he said he has some things in the works that will close later this year that would be a split commission between the two of us, so that would probably cover it.

I know all of this might be moot as I may not make it past round 2 with Company B, but I would like some advice from people who have been here before. I like being in this spot, but I am not sure the best course of action. I like both possibilities, and I needed to write things out to get some perspective. Thanks.

I have worked for 2 Medical Staffing Companies in the past (In finance) For one, there are a lot of ethical issues and the recruiters routinely lie to the nurses to get them to sign a contract. We would run into that when running payroll a lot. Two, the highest paid recruiter at either of the companies I worked was in his mid 40's and made a half million in commissions because he was the only one willing to work with LPN's and lesser than.

Two - This is a really bad field to be in right now due to COVID. The Nurses are burning out and quitting - some hospitals are relying solely on traveling nurses who are also burned out. Also, Traveling nurses are generally treated like poo poo by the nurses on staff at hospitals and this leads to issues a lot of the time.

If you want to PM me - i can put you in touch with some current and former recruiters.

TL:DR choose option 2

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Any advice on my resume? I'm sort of at a loss as to what to put in the skills and activities sections.

Also, my work experience - for a 30 year old dude - is complete poo poo and I'm trying to butter it up without revealing that I skipped several days of substitute teaching (generally worked 3 or 4 day weeks). That's one of the reasons why I chose to emphasize my education over my work experience, particularly seeing as got a Master's Degree and did really well in grad school.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to tailor my experience for researching jobs. And then in a few months, I'm planning to teach English abroad, so that will likely require another overhaul. I'll need to include that I have the CELTA somewhere in there.

tl;dr I don't know how to impress anyone seeing as I'm a humanities major with a weird scattershot of work experience.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was wondering for interviews do people ever do some printed cheat sheet notes to remind them of applicable STAR stories?

I was thinking of doing the following:
- 1+ sheet split in the middle with requirements from the posting on one side and applicable skills/experience on the other
- STAR sheet(s) summarizing various projects or issues overcome (mostly to trigger my memory) (this is reusable for other interviews)
- sheet with questions I have for them with space for me to jot down answers.

I figure even though the interviews are all either telephone or zoom/teams it is faster to write answers and refer to paper copies of things.

Anyone use a similar system? Interested in any tips or suggestions!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Prompts can work for a phone interview, but not Zoom. It's obvious to the interviewer when you're looking offscreen and reading

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It seems to me - not a resume and interviewing expert - that a straightforward explanation could suffice? 'I keep a cheat sheet to remind myself of some of the interesting stories that might impress people. There's so much going on, it's easy to lose track of what the truly remarkable things are, ha ha'

Oh, but in my head its like a 3x5 note card to jog the memory, not canned responses.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Tape your prompts to your screen for zoom, or behind the camera imo

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

What’s the consensus on leaving a job off your resume and pretending it never happened if you got “please quit”’d?

I was at a position for 90 days, and with fresh eyes looking back, it wasn’t the right position for me at the right time. Should I just leave it off and check “no I haven’t been fired or asked to resign?” I wouldn’t be planning on using them as references anytime soon.

Knock on wood, the position I’m starting on the first (:toot:) will be a company I’ll be at for a while, but at the very least it’ll fill my resume out more.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Buff Hardback posted:

What’s the consensus on leaving a job off your resume and pretending it never happened if you got “please quit”’d?

I was at a position for 90 days, and with fresh eyes looking back, it wasn’t the right position for me at the right time. Should I just leave it off and check “no I haven’t been fired or asked to resign?” I wouldn’t be planning on using them as references anytime soon.

Knock on wood, the position I’m starting on the first (:toot:) will be a company I’ll be at for a while, but at the very least it’ll fill my resume out more.

I'll be honest, I've been in a similar position before and it sucked. I checked 'no' on those boxes, but that's because I was on good enough terms with the previous employer that they had given me a written confirmation they would only provide dates of work when asked by any prospective places. As you say, you also have the option of leaving it off the resume entirely, if you feel that having a gap of 90 days would present you in a better light than whatever the other explanation is that you can provide.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Inner Light posted:

I'll be honest, I've been in a similar position before and it sucked. I checked 'no' on those boxes, but that's because I was on good enough terms with the previous employer that they had given me a written confirmation they would only provide dates of work when asked by any prospective places. As you say, you also have the option of leaving it off the resume entirely, if you feel that having a gap of 90 days would present you in a better light than whatever the other explanation is that you can provide.

Luckily I have *gestures at the past 18 months* to brush it under the rug.

edit: more specifically, I guess what I'm getting at is if I'm leaving a <90 day job off my resume completely (which hopefully knock on wood will be replaced by many years at this new company), is it unethical/shooting myself in the foot to check "no" on the "have you been fired/asked to resign" in the future?

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 9, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is it generally considered a good idea to look up interviewers on LinkedIn ahead of time or nah?

Also good points about the cheat sheets, in video ones it would be distracting. I would like to have a worksheet that is good for note taking, though. And questions I want to ask. Sometimes I forget to ask pertinent questions because of the flow of the interview.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Is it generally considered a good idea to look up interviewers on LinkedIn ahead of time or nah?

Also good points about the cheat sheets, in video ones it would be distracting. I would like to have a worksheet that is good for note taking, though. And questions I want to ask. Sometimes I forget to ask pertinent questions because of the flow of the interview.

I like to but it’s best not to mention it. But it’s good to see where you all might have overlapping backgrounds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I like to but it’s best not to mention it. But it’s good to see where you all might have overlapping backgrounds.

This is a good point, the backgrounds. I don’t like how LinkedIn snitches on you looking at a profile but I guess that’s not a huge deal. If you have the name it just makes sense to do research.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

LinkedIn snitches on you looking at a profile but

Just change your settings so it doesn’t

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I did for all of my interviews if I knew the name in advance. Not the full stalker package, just enough to check for overlapping background. Nobody said anything one way or the other.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

priznat posted:

I do it, and I have seen people search me prior to an interview (sometimes minutes before). It's only been brought up to me once in an interview, and the guy asked me if I searched him. He said he searched me too, and then we moved on. You are probably already doing this, but I also search the company and then click on people to see if I have any connections with anybody as well.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

priznat posted:

I'm a visual learner, so I like to do it to better learn names in advance. The background check is good to. I cannot remember specifics, but I have filled dead space with some fair banter based on overlaps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I decided to just look em up without hiding, and I think I was overthinking it. It’s useful having a look at the activity and their posts as it can give a good idea what they are into, albeit with some LinkedIn artifice over top.

It actually led me to a couple product videos I hadn’t seen before which are gold mines both for technical aspects to get sharp on but also questions to ask.

Got interviews with 5 people for the position spaced out over Thursday and Friday, along with another interview Tuesday for a different job which I am treating more as a warmup because I’m not as interested in that one. Busy week! :haw:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

priznat posted:

This is a good point, the backgrounds. I don’t like how LinkedIn snitches on you looking at a profile but I guess that’s not a huge deal. If you have the name it just makes sense to do research.

This isn't a big deal. I expect whenever I work with someone new they'll catch me on Linkedin.

I had 1 woman who started to ask me all sorts of stuff from my profile when I did a first phone screen, that was kinda weird. I hired her anyway and she's great but yeah "Tell me about that job you did 8 years ago, and are you still chairing that volunteering effort" was kind of a curveball for a 20 minute phone screen for the applicant to be asking the interviewer.

priznat posted:

It actually led me to a couple product videos I hadn’t seen before which are gold mines both for technical aspects to get sharp on but also questions to ask.

This is a magic trick. Watch those videos and learn their preferred terms and language. Using those key words can be a big boon, especially to impress interviewers who aren't paying much attention.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 10, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so i've been informed that for tomorrow's state parks environmental scientist interview they'll be giving me their list of questions half an hour before the start of the call. this seems a little unusual to me, should i be expecting some kind of curveball technical questions if they feel their questions need lead time?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so i've been informed that for tomorrow's state parks environmental scientist interview they'll be giving me their list of questions half an hour before the start of the call. this seems a little unusual to me, should i be expecting some kind of curveball technical questions if they feel their questions need lead time?

I dunno, trying to trap candidates seems counter productive. Might just be to speed things up?

Don't try to over prepare. Look em over, try to identify any that will be difficult, don't script yourself. 30 minutes isn't enough to come up with good rote answers. You'll probably be better with more natural responses.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

This isn't a big deal. I expect whenever I work with someone new they'll catch me on Linkedin.

I had 1 woman who started to ask me all sorts of stuff from my profile when I did a first phone screen, that was kinda weird. I hired her anyway and she's great but yeah "Tell me about that job you did 8 years ago, and are you still chairing that volunteering effort" was kind of a curveball for a 20 minute phone screen for the applicant to be asking the interviewer.

Yeah I would not do stuff like that saying "sooo you went to so-and-so school eh?" or ask them stuff I learned. However it's useful in knowing what kind of things they would be potentially interested in talking about, etc. People love talking about things they are interested in and then by association whoever asks the right questions have an advantage!

quote:

This is a magic trick. Watch those videos and learn their preferred terms and language. Using those key words can be a big boon, especially to impress interviewers who aren't paying much attention.

For sure, one of my interviewers was even in it presenting, which was pretty useful too. I'll be going over them with a fine tooth comb and writing my questions out based a lot on these videos and their linkedin experience.

Apart from that it was interesting seeing what kind of culture is within the group because the senior managers are all pretty active on linkedin and seem like really good folks, especially from an interacting with people perspective. Nice to get a feel for that ahead of time too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Success! I hired a nerd and it feels like he's going to be a great addition to the team. Even managed to find some wages subsidy so we can pay for extra training and career development for everyone. We'll be signing contracts as soon as I write one up and funding is approved. Horay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well I went ahead and did it, yay me! Now I can get back to throwing my resumes and cover letters into a bottomless pit that occasionally whispers "you're a worthless sack of poo poo"
Oh btw I didn't get this job.

I've been applying to jobs for over a year now – at least a hundred down – and I've basically lost all hope. I've gotten interviews for six jobs in 2021; one turned into the only offer I've gotten since I started, it was a bad offer but I probably should have taken it.

My current job sucks and is a total dead-end. Also, I am applying to nonprofits, and I have now heard from people close to hiring managers three times in the past two months: "oh you can apply, but they're only hiring PoC at this time, sorry." Being a queer Jew aint enough I guess.

I made a lot of bad decisions early on. I got the wrong job right out of school, when based on my internship experience I totally could have gotten one that made sense for what I wanted. I also went to grad school for the wrong thing. Now I'm 29 and applying for entry level poo poo on a regular basis, just because it's something.

I'm constantly hosed up about this, and it's affecting my relationships with my family, my friends, and my partner. I went into nonprofit work to make a difference and not to make a ton of money but I'm at the point where I'm considering getting an MBA and completely selling out and turning into one of the dickheads I went to high school with.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I'd post my resume here but I am far too afraid of the doxx.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 11, 2021