Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aahh gently caress I started thinking about Aliens again! It's too good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

Aahh gently caress I started thinking about Aliens again! It's too good!!

You are in good company... my friend.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The world of aliens feels so authentic, and the story is so coherent, tight, and flows logically. Movies dont do that anymore, all the good writers and directors were used as breeding hosts for a new form of parasite hack gently caress heads. Ridley Scott is an android copy of the real Ridley who died immediately following the release of aliens

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Xenomrph posted:

Thinking about Predator (the movie)

:mods:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Thinking about Aliens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6O7jS_VBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK_iZZ4Bx2o

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The mouth parts on the larval hairworm are very xenomorph. The mind control is very Resident Evil 4. The little factoids in that game were quite the introduction to parasitic brain fuckery for a younger me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijGdWn5-h8

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 9, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Greggster posted:

Glad they decided to cut it, considering how Ripley was so adamant about not having the grunts go in with guns loaded because of the environment they were in (imagine having an actual explosion go off, like a hand grenade.)
That ship had long sailed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Biplane posted:

The world of aliens feels so authentic, and the story is so coherent, tight, and flows logically. Movies dont do that anymore, all the good writers and directors were used as breeding hosts for a new form of parasite hack gently caress heads. Ridley Scott is an android copy of the real Ridley who died immediately following the release of aliens
They were always with us but there's a new, more virulent carrier called "save the cat"

In a way Alien killed film making

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 9, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Isn't the main reason the Burke scene was cut because Cameron realised it was nonsensical? Burke's grabbed, dragged back to the hive, cocooned, implanted, regains conscious and can feel it moving in under 40 minutes. Even considering the AvPs and Covenant's screwed up pump & dump facehuggers, that's a ludicrously short time scale.

Besides, the place is toast in 10 minutes anyway, he just needs to stick it out a little longer, no point in wasting a grenade on his dumb rear end.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The way I rationalized his impregnation is that he actually wasn’t - he thought he was because he’d been unconscious and then he woke up in the hive and he assumed the worst. He says he can “feel it” but hey, the mind does crazy poo poo when you’re scared.

Then AVP and Alien Covenant came along and messed with the gestation timeline so now all bets are off. :shrug:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The gestation timeline was never really consistent from the start, though?. Kane only takes a few minutes to get to the mess hall and then he pops pretty much immediately. For some reason the cocooned colonist in the hive takes a while, although it's possible they managed to hide from the aliens until almost when the marines arrived. I can't remember exactly what happens in 3 (isn't there some sequence at the beginning implying the alien was in Newt and escaped her to find itself in Ripley? Or was that just in the comics), but Ripley seems to live with it for like, several days - maybe this is rationalized as "it's a queen, they take longer"?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kane was facehugged for about 24 hours, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's never been consistent but that's fine with me because the age and condition of the stuff varies wildly too.

Like Kane's gestation is IIRC the second longest in the movies (with just Ripley's in Alien 3 being slower).

There's so many variables though like the derelict in Alien comes off as exceptionally old compared to even the engineer ruins in Prometheus so it would be reasonable that its cargo is a bit off. In Alien 3 it's a queen, in AvP it's like the Predator's big game breeding stock meant to be "flipped on" whenever the Predators want to do their initiation stuff. In Prometheus IIRC it was like almost solid day for stuff to get bad with Holloway and Shaw.

Like especially if the facehugger works by implanting the victim with some spore/parasitic material instead of a fully formed egg, an individual's physiology would effect how long it takes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In the Alien Resurrection novelization they explain Purvis’ extra-long gestation with him having a thyroid condition.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

It's never been consistent but that's fine with me because the age and condition of the stuff varies wildly too.

Like Kane's gestation is IIRC the second longest in the movies (with just Ripley's in Alien 3 being slower).

There's so many variables though like the derelict in Alien comes off as exceptionally old compared to even the engineer ruins in Prometheus so it would be reasonable that its cargo is a bit off. In Alien 3 it's a queen, in AvP it's like the Predator's big game breeding stock meant to be "flipped on" whenever the Predators want to do their initiation stuff. In Prometheus IIRC it was like almost solid day for stuff to get bad with Holloway and Shaw.

Like especially if the facehugger works by implanting the victim with some spore/parasitic material instead of a fully formed egg, an individual's physiology would effect how long it takes.

Facehuggers are just full of black goo goodness

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They're organic creatures, so there shouldn't be a set timer on how long it takes for a thing to gestate. I'd assumed there were individual variances, like some people take a couple of days, others take a couple of hours.

My assumption was that the facehugger humping Kane's face for a whole day or so, I'd put down to it being in an unfamiliar environment, so it sticks around for as long as it is able to, in order to "protect" the host. In contrast, the "kill me" colonist that the Marines encounter in Aliens was cocooned up in a nest, surrounded by xenos, so once the implanting was done, it would bugger off to quietly die somewhere else.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
This brings up an interesting theory that a chestburster can sense external stimuli from the host & recognize when an environment is ok for them to come out.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a way for this to happen in the Alien RPG in a much cooler/creepier way imo and it's set up to be an extremely rare WTF centerpiece of a session/campaign. It only happens in the very rare chance that someone who's been implanted by a facehugger* gets the black goo on them also. So that instead of the goo mutating just the person it interacts with the both the person and the embryo and since it's more compatible with the embryo. What makes it awesome though is that they have the end result be a xenomorph with a translucent exoskeleton but a human skull/some human bones still inside it also because they didn't get pushed out while the mutation happened. Basically the found a way to have the gross-out "body burster" like in the Gibson script while also having the older design for the xenomorph in Alien 1 in one go. They opted to paint over it instead for the film but IIRC you can very briefly make out the human skull in its head during the scene where it kills Brett in some cuts.

*They have scientific debate to this day in the setting as to whether the facehugger is impregnating the host with an egg, or whether it's blasting spores into the host's body and that those spores form an egg.

The person who mentioned Prometheus and Covenant biting a lot off of unused ideas from the previous movies is absolutely correct too. Even the part in Prometheus where they take the engineer head back to the ship for study was something that was going to happen in Alien at one point.

Even better, we have pictures of the original design with the skull showing:

It is pretty creepy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That is fuckin terrifying

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That reminds me a lot of the newborn.

And yes, that is terrifying. More than the newborn.

Although that previous pic looks like the xeno is about to have a cigarette. Or is bored waiting for the school bus to come.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Although that previous pic looks like the xeno is about to have a cigarette. Or is bored waiting for the school bus to come.

Someone should 'shop on some Adidas stripes, and stick a wall carpet behind him.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel Red posted:

Someone should 'shop on some Adidas stripes, and stick a wall carpet behind him.

:boom:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The original 1979 Kenner Alien figure, the one that was like 14” tall, had the clear carapace on top of the head, and beneath it you could see the skull.

And the skull part glowed in the dark, if I recall.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MrMojok posted:

The original 1979 Kenner Alien figure, the one that was like 14” tall, had the clear carapace on top of the head, and beneath it you could see the skull.

And the skull part glowed in the dark, if I recall.

Those retro xenomorph toys include one with the transluscent skull. Neca's reaction i think?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The original toy run got yanked due to parents screaming about it.

Here's a site showing the various versions of it. https://www.hideousplastic.com/?page_id=607

It's been re released 14 times.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 10, 2021

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Wait, what? Like an actual rerelease of the Kenner mold or just 14 other big chaps with a translucent skull heads? I’ve wanted an original since I first saw one at a comic book store when I was about seven yrs old. Even then (1988/89 ish) they were stupid expensive and from what I understand made from super cheap plastic that sometimes just broke even if the figure had never been taken out of the box. If there’s been actual rereleases I’d be so loving down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
These are the ones i'm talking about

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why does it have two right hands

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It doesn’t, the one in the first movie had six fingers (two thumbs) per hand.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huh definitely never noticed that.

Seeing it 3/4 of the time on vhs prob didn't help

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yep

Edit— bonus skull partially visible in that photo :hb:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Because he uses a Stand that uses the power of reflections, and is being pursued by a Frenchman with a distinctive hairstyle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Even better, we have pictures of the original design with the skull showing:

It is pretty creepy.

It's so loving good.

Great Alien RPG background tracks via slowing down the film soundtracks hehee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovgPMcqxRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqIOZxtAfs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomorph clinging to that egg like it just walked out of GameStop with a PS5

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Improbable Lobster posted:

These are the ones i'm talking about

The mouth on this guy makes it look nerdy and gormless as gently caress. Its like Urkel got facehugged or something.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

The mouth on this guy makes it look nerdy and gormless as gently caress. Its like Urkel got facehugged or something.

Also the way his hands are positioned, it looks like he's getting ready to sneak around on his tippy toes Scooby Doo style

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sentinel Red posted:

Blyat-Yutani

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also the way his hands are positioned, it looks like he's getting ready to sneak around on his tippy toes Scooby Doo style

I smell an excellent crossover opportunity here…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0