Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Greetings. I’m a loving weirdo and I need advice on how to get a real, stable, normal person job. Pre-covid I was a fine dining chef or sous chef (as in, in charge of a kitchen) for about 5 years, with about 5 years of regular old kitchen experience and a chef school education. The pay was bad, the hours were bad, and every job sucked rear end - covid was kinda a vblessing in disguise as it got me out of hospitality.

I’ve always been “good with computers” so I went and got my A+, and got an entry level extremely poo poo paid computer repair job on a 1 year contract which is about to expire. I also discovered I am god’s gift to diagnosing and fixing computers, at least compared to the other schubs at my job. I also discovered I loving hate coding and I will never do it.

About 4 months into the computer job, I got a job offer to work as a part time contractor doing recipe development at a medium-sized private label manufacturer. I took it, with the computer job allowing me to switch to part time as well. I am extremely good at this job. The pay is significantly higher, but I don’t get any benefits, don’t think there’s much of a path for me to go anywhere, and also I am bored as poo poo 6 out of 8 hours a day.

Now that the computer job is finishing up, I’m at a crossroads. They offered me full time at poo poo pay. I’m not taking it. The food job doesn’t really do it for me and I don’t think they’re going to offer me much, if anything. I’m stuck between two careers: either I plug away at some corporate food stink job for about 60k CAD a year forever with nowhere to go from there or I go full Computer, but I have no idea what the path there is like, especially if I don’t want to code full time. Do I shotgun a bunch of certifications and hope to land something decent right off the bat? Do I find some other entry level computer job and basically start from scratch with my entire resume? Do I just accept cooking things forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

abuse culture. posted:

Greetings. I’m a loving weirdo and I need advice on how to get a real, stable, normal person job. Pre-covid I was a fine dining chef or sous chef (as in, in charge of a kitchen) for about 5 years, with about 5 years of regular old kitchen experience and a chef school education. The pay was bad, the hours were bad, and every job sucked rear end - covid was kinda a vblessing in disguise as it got me out of hospitality.

I’ve always been “good with computers” so I went and got my A+, and got an entry level extremely poo poo paid computer repair job on a 1 year contract which is about to expire. I also discovered I am god’s gift to diagnosing and fixing computers, at least compared to the other schubs at my job. I also discovered I loving hate coding and I will never do it.

About 4 months into the computer job, I got a job offer to work as a part time contractor doing recipe development at a medium-sized private label manufacturer. I took it, with the computer job allowing me to switch to part time as well. I am extremely good at this job. The pay is significantly higher, but I don’t get any benefits, don’t think there’s much of a path for me to go anywhere, and also I am bored as poo poo 6 out of 8 hours a day.

Now that the computer job is finishing up, I’m at a crossroads. They offered me full time at poo poo pay. I’m not taking it. The food job doesn’t really do it for me and I don’t think they’re going to offer me much, if anything. I’m stuck between two careers: either I plug away at some corporate food stink job for about 60k CAD a year forever with nowhere to go from there or I go full Computer, but I have no idea what the path there is like, especially if I don’t want to code full time. Do I shotgun a bunch of certifications and hope to land something decent right off the bat? Do I find some other entry level computer job and basically start from scratch with my entire resume? Do I just accept cooking things forever?

"working with computers but doing no coding" is a rough path these days. You can make something work but its a lot of part time or temp contracts and fighting against foreign MSPs and the like. Usually the best bet is towards project management which your kitchen experience would actually lend itself towards. But that can be hard to break into.

What certs were you eyeballing? I'd definitely point you towards things like AWS/Azure/Google Cloud certs.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I figure this is a long shot, but does anyone know or work as a medical science liaison or work in the drug industry? I'm a pharmacist with ten years of experience in oncology and specialty infusions looking for a career change and out of the hospital because I'm fed up post-COVID.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DTaeKim posted:

I figure this is a long shot, but does anyone know or work as a medical science liaison or work in the drug industry? I'm a pharmacist with ten years of experience in oncology and specialty infusions looking for a career change and out of the hospital because I'm fed up post-COVID.

I work in clinical pharmacology drug dev, PM me. PharmDs are not uncommon.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How likely is it that an IT boot camp will help me get into a career track position?

I’ve been trying to start a career in cyber security, but I’ve been having trouble getting it off the ground. I can’t even get an entry level help desk job.

After getting a BS in biology, I floundered for a few years, and then went back to school and got an associate’s degree in information assurance and CompTIA A+ certification. I’ve meant to get further certifications, but I’ve been having trouble focusing on that. I had been going to job fairs and IT networking events pre-pandemic, but barely got interviews. My work history is only tangentially relevant, but I aced my classes in the community college and I thought that and the certification would get me get something even if it isn’t in security yet.

After years of frustration, my dad found out about the University of Michigan’s cyber security boot camp and has been asking me about it. It’ll cost $15000 and I might have to upgrade or buy a new computer since it’s now attended from home. I can afford it, but I’m still balking at the price tag and worried it’ll be like going to school for a thing I’ve already gone to school for. Or should I be pursuing another route?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What are you trying to do? What are your career goals or targets?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I accepted the promotion to developer team lead...now the manager is hinting that the company doesn't want to increase my salary because of my lack of experience and wants to "discuss" it with me. Maybe I should have sent off that application to a different company.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not too late to apply elsewhere.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I had a really rocky life after high school, dropped out of college a few times, blah blah. Toiled away in retail for a decade. Got my associate's in fine art in 2016 because I'm a decent illustrator but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do so didn't end up transferring for a bachelor's as planned. Weaseled my way into the very bottom of a Fortune 500 company in a call center three years ago. Got placed into a "lend" about two years ago which basically means I'm performing way above my job description but not being compensated for it. Looking at the internal postings for anything along the lines of what I've been doing (very baby-level data analysis) I am thinking I need a bachelor's and to get some certs in programming languages. Having trouble getting called back to interview for anything. My lend has given me decent experience but I still look like poo poo on paper.

Any recommendations on accelerated bachelor's programs in data science? Most of the postings I've been looking at want SQL and Tableau experience primarily, among other things. Recognizing that not many credits may transfer from my useless AA in art. Would love something that's <2yrs but if that doesn't exist then that is also helpful information.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this; if there is a better fit please point me in the right direction.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Christmas posted:

How likely is it that an IT boot camp will help me get into a career track position?

I’ve been trying to start a career in cyber security, but I’ve been having trouble getting it off the ground. I can’t even get an entry level help desk job.

After getting a BS in biology, I floundered for a few years, and then went back to school and got an associate’s degree in information assurance and CompTIA A+ certification. I’ve meant to get further certifications, but I’ve been having trouble focusing on that. I had been going to job fairs and IT networking events pre-pandemic, but barely got interviews. My work history is only tangentially relevant, but I aced my classes in the community college and I thought that and the certification would get me get something even if it isn’t in security yet.

After years of frustration, my dad found out about the University of Michigan’s cyber security boot camp and has been asking me about it. It’ll cost $15000 and I might have to upgrade or buy a new computer since it’s now attended from home. I can afford it, but I’m still balking at the price tag and worried it’ll be like going to school for a thing I’ve already gone to school for. Or should I be pursuing another route?

I can tell you having done pretty much the same thing you're better off just getting the certs and forgetting about the bootcamp. Unless your problem is motivation in which case spending thousands in what will amount to getting the certs anyway may be the right path.

I would at minimum get Net+ and Sec+, the Sec+ cert will open up government jobs since they require it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is it worth going to college at 34?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's worth it for some people. What's your situation, what do you want to do, and how would a degree help you get there?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's worth it for some people. What's your situation, what do you want to do, and how would a degree help you get there?

I would like to earn more money than I do now before I retire when I'm 60, and I'm wondering if an average business degree will earn me significantly more money before retirement or not, or if I'm going to end up in roughly the same place but now with $40,000 less dollars.

Right now I'm a computer toucher for United Health Group and I wound up on a pretty easy team, but the pay stinks and I think being degreeless is going to remain a ceiling above me, but also there's people on my team who have a degree and their pay stinks too so lol.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 2, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
25-30 years is still a while. Even modest returns pay off with compounding and that timeline.

That's if you're also going to put effort into making the degree worthwhile by pursuing opportunity. If you graduate and just keep chilling where you're at for 15 years...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah. A degree won't buy you much in your current workplace, but it can help you to trade up. An average business degree is not the best choice for that, though. When you say "computer toucher", do you mean the sort of career that would benefit from a computer science degree?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

25-30 years is still a while. Even modest returns pay off with compounding and that timeline.

That's if you're also going to put effort into making the degree worthwhile by pursuing opportunity. If you graduate and just keep chilling where you're at for 15 years...

I mean yeah I guess that's why I'd like a degree, I want more mobility and to be able to successfully pursue more jobs. And if I leave this one, to be able to not worry about being degreeless getting the way of maintaining my position on the career totem pole or whatever (that whatever being not ending up in a call center.) But you know, if at the end of the day I'm not really making much of a financial difference when I retire then what's the loving point? My SO has a four year accounting degree and makes .39 more cents than I do (same place.) :\

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You've got the more important part, in demand skills. A degree won't guarantee more money but it raises your ceiling and lowers your risk. Generally education still strongly, strongly correlates with $ and job quality.

Like the above: it's also material what kind of degree you're talking about. You do something in STEM or say statistics then you could combine your skills + degree and you could get into a different type of pay ladder.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Odd Mutant posted:

I would like to earn more money than I do now before I retire when I'm 60, and I'm wondering if an average business degree will earn me significantly more money before retirement or not, or if I'm going to end up in roughly the same place but now with $40,000 less dollars.

Right now I'm a computer toucher for United Health Group and I wound up on a pretty easy team, but the pay stinks and I think being degreeless is going to remain a ceiling above me, but also there's people on my team who have a degree and their pay stinks too so lol.

Any insight into working at United Health Group? I've applied to a few jobs at their Optum division. I'm in the middle of the interview process with Stryker though and I think I could get an offer from them.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Re: computer toucher, 30s, college, advice restricted to IT as a field, doesn't count if you're looking to change industries.
A degree gets you maybe a 10k bump.
A fresh degree in your 30s maybe 5k.
Computer touching is mostly who you know, and the rest is what you can prove you know.
I'm an IT person with no degree in my late 30s. I learned everything I know doing the job in my 20s and 30s. Now, I run the IT for a multinational company and actively distrust peers with degrees and no/less experience because they gently caress things up.

If you want to continue being a computer toucher for a living, probably don't do school.
If you want a new industry or to do a wildly different kind of computer touching, school might work out.
Although not at current rates, if money is your thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Odd Mutant posted:

I mean yeah I guess that's why I'd like a degree, I want more mobility and to be able to successfully pursue more jobs. And if I leave this one, to be able to not worry about being degreeless getting the way of maintaining my position on the career totem pole or whatever (that whatever being not ending up in a call center.) But you know, if at the end of the day I'm not really making much of a financial difference when I retire then what's the loving point? My SO has a four year accounting degree and makes .39 more cents than I do (same place.) :\

Here's my thoughts as a fellow computer toucher. I got my AAS back when I was maybe 22 or 23 from a local community college (big fan of CC's), and finished my BAS when I was 35. I'm a Windows System Admin/Eng/Architect depending on title of the day with 18+ years experience.

Short answer: The 4 year degree can be helpful, mostly by being able to check a box on a job application. It'll open doors at companies that still gatekeep by requiring a 4 year degree.

I worked my way up for 17 years at my previous company with only my AAS. I finished my BAS, but it never really mattered during my career with that company, I moved up the ranks based on my work. I don't think I even told anyone I had a degree.

When I went to change jobs though, that's when having the degree paid off. I can for certain say that it was a net positive in helping me get past the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), and getting my resume to my current boss. Once I got the interview, I was good to go. You've got to get to that interview stage though. ATS's are the devil, but thats for another thread.

I will say I did learn some useful information in the process of getting the degree. I went with WGU which is online (I had 2 small children and a full time job at the time), and the business courses mixed in with the IT courses were pretty good.

My advice, use UHC's tuition reimbursement program to finish your degree. Also you make more money job hopping in IT than you do sticking around. I left my last job after 17 years and my new job paid 25% more plus a huge bonus and way better benefits. My total comp went up something like 48K a year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I also think it's a lot harder to break into those kinda of jobs today than they were 20 years ago. Maybe not applicable to this case but for someone just entering the job force in 2021, not having a degree is going to be a headwind, regardless of the survivor-bias stories you hear.

At a certain point experience makes a lack of a degree a less of a problem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Let's say someone:

- is late 30's, lifelong tinkerer, wants to make gadgets for a living (doesn't need to profit, just break even)

- has apprentice-level electronics skills (understands basic circuits, components, skilled enough to do surface-mount soldering and repair smartphones, doesn't know advanced PCB or how to use an oscilloscope)

- has good business skills (good enough at saving/investing to make $100k/year+ on top of day job)

And now has the opportunity to go to college for free. Would they be better served learning electronics/engineering/manufacturing (to better design a PCB or do CAD drawings then explain to the Chinese factory how to make it) or should they skip the middleperson and go for MBA/entrepreneur type track so they can tell some nerds to figure it out.

Said individual likes to daydream about having Adam Savage levels of fabrication skills, but also went to public school and thus is terrified of some courses required for engineering degree such as "Calculus", whatever the gently caress that is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

An MBA is a graduate degree, so they'd have to finish a bachelor's first. There are undergraduate business degrees as well, but any business degree worth getting will require calculus.

Beyond that, it's really a matter of preference. Business and engineering are two pretty different career paths and neither is better in general. It'd be easier to switch from engineering to the business side later on than to go the other way, if that helps.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zero VGS posted:

Let's say someone:

- is late 30's, lifelong tinkerer, wants to make gadgets for a living (doesn't need to profit, just break even)

- has apprentice-level electronics skills (understands basic circuits, components, skilled enough to do surface-mount soldering and repair smartphones, doesn't know advanced PCB or how to use an oscilloscope)

- has good business skills (good enough at saving/investing to make $100k/year+ on top of day job)

And now has the opportunity to go to college for free. Would they be better served learning electronics/engineering/manufacturing (to better design a PCB or do CAD drawings then explain to the Chinese factory how to make it) or should they skip the middleperson and go for MBA/entrepreneur type track so they can tell some nerds to figure it out.

Said individual likes to daydream about having Adam Savage levels of fabrication skills, but also went to public school and thus is terrified of some courses required for engineering degree such as "Calculus", whatever the gently caress that is.

There are a lot of huge open questions in this post.

How are you evaluating "good business skills"? It sounds more like you're saying "good at personal finance." Finance is important, but it's just one component of business - see the core course list for a respected MBA program if you want an ultra-high-level overview of "what even is Business". There are also a whole lot of differences between personal and corporate finance - for instance, a lot of the time, keeping significant savings is a bad thing in business, because that means you're holding on to capital you're not plowing back into expansion or using to pay shareholders. Finally, it's been very easy for someone with a bit of luck and a chunk of starting capital to make $100k/year in the market over the past couple of years. Is this really the result of being "good at business," or is it more like "made some risky bets that paid off very well in a red-hot market"?

What does "make gadgets for a living" mean? Heck, what's a "gadget" in this context? Are we talking about mass market phones and PCs? Niche electronics? Car accessories? Literal better mousetraps? Is the idea here to make a product like a popular smartphone that millions of people use every day? Or is this about crazy custom-fabricated one-off toys where the joy's in building them, then they go into some billionaire's collection of similar curiosities to show off to their buddies?

If the goal here is to build cool one-off things, it's also a good idea to remember that Adam Savage went to film school, not engineering school. As far as I know he doesn't have any formal training in engineering - what you see on his shows is the combination of a bunch of small skills he's picked up from bouncing around the special effects industry, his ability to hire a crew with specialized skills, and slick presentation. Training in electrical or mechanical engineering would help in having "Adam Savage levels of fabrication skills," but to the extent that "let's go to the shop and whip up some crazy invention" is a skill, it's developed through on-the-job training (mostly on blue-collar jobs) and through hobbies, not through formal education.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I've really stalled in my career progress, and I'm worried about my next steps after graduating from my undergraduate degree (hopefully by the end of the year). My goal has been to join the Peace Corps, but with COVID still a huge deal around the world, I feel like I need to think of other goals.

Because of ADHD and other issues, I'm finally graduating college after nearly 10 years with a terrible GPA. (I'm majoring in Economics) I had a lucky break in the summer of 2019 where I worked as a policy analyst for a national non-profit where I did an ok job. I was slated to graduate by summer 2020 but COVID hit and I could not concentrate on my schoolwork for the life of God. I decided to do AmeriCorps instead hoping that things would simmer down in a year because the pandemic was not providing adequate study conditions for me at all.

For a few months, I worked at a preschool but due to some conflicts regarding COVID, I got fired. Luckily I managed to find another position as a tutor in a middle school instead. I completed that successfully, but I honestly can't say I accomplished that much nor did it give me a lot in terms of skills.

Now I have no idea what I'm qualified for as a starting job. I would love to do something in policy again but I feel like my experience is from way too long ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

I feel like I've really stalled in my career progress, and I'm worried about my next steps after graduating from my undergraduate degree (hopefully by the end of the year). My goal has been to join the Peace Corps, but with COVID still a huge deal around the world, I feel like I need to think of other goals.

Because of ADHD and other issues, I'm finally graduating college after nearly 10 years with a terrible GPA. (I'm majoring in Economics) I had a lucky break in the summer of 2019 where I worked as a policy analyst for a national non-profit where I did an ok job. I was slated to graduate by summer 2020 but COVID hit and I could not concentrate on my schoolwork for the life of God. I decided to do AmeriCorps instead hoping that things would simmer down in a year because the pandemic was not providing adequate study conditions for me at all.

For a few months, I worked at a preschool but due to some conflicts regarding COVID, I got fired. Luckily I managed to find another position as a tutor in a middle school instead. I completed that successfully, but I honestly can't say I accomplished that much nor did it give me a lot in terms of skills.

Now I have no idea what I'm qualified for as a starting job. I would love to do something in policy again but I feel like my experience is from way too long ago.

You were doing policy analyst stuff in 2019 right? That's not that long ago especially considering the last 18 months have been weird for everyone.

Why did you leave that role?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

You were doing policy analyst stuff in 2019 right? That's not that long ago especially considering the last 18 months have been weird for everyone.

Why did you leave that role?

I should have made it clear, it was an internship for summer 2019.

EDIT: Also isn't the time between summer 2019 and January 2022 more like 30 months?

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 19, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

I should have made it clear, it was an internship for summer 2019.

EDIT: Also isn't the time between summer 2019 and January 2022 more like 30 months?

What is significant about January 2022? I was saying "The last 18 months have been weird" so "I have experience from 2019" isn't as far as it would be in a "normal" timeline. People putting careers on pause is not uncommon.

Have you started to look at entry level policy jobs? Where do you think you're not meeting posted requirements?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I am currently in IT (process automation developer) and have been in various IT roles for the past ~10 years. I have a bachelor's in operations and information management. The company I work for, the division I work in, the team I work on, and the manager I work for are all decent to great. The only bad thing is the work. In my experience, IT can be very sink or swim at times and being handed a huge project where you a) may or may not have the full skillset to complete it right away and b) have to figure out where to start "eating the elephant" may be exciting or liberating for some people but it really is not for me. When faced with this sort of scenario, my usual reaction is procrastination and avoidance because the anxiety is too much, and then the situation gets worse as time goes on which causes more anxiety. Usually I can force myself to break out of the cycle and work my rear end off near the delivery date to get everything done, but I can't and don't want to work this way anymore.

So. I've been thinking about a career change recently and am still gathering information on what I might like to change to, if anything. After a lot of consideration and reflection, I believe I can distill my career requirements down to something like the following:

Technical/skilled work that may even be slightly intricate and/or tedious
A structured environment where, as much as possible, there is a clearly documented/taught "right" way to do things, and I have the knowledge/skills to succeed
Tasks that can be completed within a single shift and do not usually carry over between shifts
An average stress level that is as low as I can get it to be
Something I can get into within 0-2 years

My career goals are to go to work, do the best job I can, learn what I can, get a COLA most years and a promotion/raise every now and again, get paid, and leave my work at work. I don't need to be (and don't want to be) a superstar. I just want to help take care of my family, raise my daughter with my wife, and try to retire before the world explodes. That's really it. Thankfully my wife works and she has a bright career ahead of her with at least one to two more big promotions left before she plateaus so we would be able to absorb a pay cut. I have about 25 to 30 years left before retirement so if I'm going to make a change now is the time.

I have been researching Electrician and Lab Technician so far, and would like to know if anyone has any other ideas on what roles might meet the requirements I laid out above. Of course, one option would be to focus on learning more in my current role, which may help with my anxiety regarding my current position or I may spend the time doing that and end up feeling the same way in the end.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Not really sure honestly, but my god I am feeling that post.

I kinda tried to do something similar and move into a less intense role (though it's pretty much my supervisor and potentially his management structure causing the intensity here). Basically took advantage of organizational politics, impending reorg, and moved into a role where I can focus on one or two things at a time, working with a supervisor I've had some experience with in the past and generally feel good about.

Is your work like 'Robotic Process Engineering' with tools similar to 'automation anywhere' or 'UIpath'? I know I've met some entry level folks in that role who weren't too stressed out, but I get the feeling that can be highly variable depending on the project. Edit1: this is a clumsy description, here's a better one. The team had poor documentation standards but there was a senior guy who loved mentoring and unblocking his two junior team members. The junior members were in a constant state of learning and improvement for about 1.5 years until other guy moved on, then they had more contact with the same manager I just left (automation and data science were combined for reasons unknown).

I am moving from a terrible team with an outrageously incompetent and possessive manager, so I wouldn't do this myself, but could you ask your direct manager for guidance on this? You could frame it as 'career downsizing' or something. Our teams enterprise-wide were losing data engineers, RPA people, and data scientists real quick recently due to burnout across the board. I am one of those people that was about to resign but thought I might try my hand at some sort of reconciliatory move with a director who was trying to poach me earlier in the year. You may have a similar situation with more empathetic people involved.

My basic story:
I am data scientist for a large corporation and just had to listen to my ex-supervisor/still supervisor (transitioning into new role internally) go on a tirade about how we need to document things, without actually offering a plan to make documentation a feasible group activity (work load is too high and varied with 6 projects of various depth between essentially two people, with updates expected daily). This supervisor insists on sharing powerpoint slides as history of work and is dismissive of git/GitHub, writing things down in central locations, using the company recommended agile tracker software, etc. Now that I officially report to someone else, I was on a roll getting a lot of documentation stuff behind me, but now I'm in a lovely mood again. Before I hop teams I am trying to be the guy that makes the job smoother by documenting processes and technical aspects of the database back-ends of our applications. Practically nothing like that exists, so my documentation is at present month's long threads of QA.

Kudaros fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 4, 2021

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
What is a good career path if my goal is to work the least hours possible?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HCFJ posted:

What is a good career path if my goal is to work the least hours possible?

Define least and define how much money you want to make. What are your skills now?

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

spwrozek posted:

Define least and define how much money you want to make. What are your skills now?

Like the least time spent working, on or off clock, including training, to make 20-30k a year (45 if you want to be wildly forward-thinking). I'd rather work minimally day-wise than hour-wise (ie I'd prefer 1 ten-hour day over 5 two-hour days or w/e) but that wouldn't matter as much if it was remote. Assume I have no skills but the money to afford training/school.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

owl_pellet posted:

Technical/skilled work that may even be slightly intricate and/or tedious
A structured environment where, as much as possible, there is a clearly documented/taught "right" way to do things, and I have the knowledge/skills to succeed
Tasks that can be completed within a single shift and do not usually carry over between shifts
An average stress level that is as low as I can get it to be
Something I can get into within 0-2 years

My career goals are to go to work, do the best job I can, learn what I can, get a COLA most years and a promotion/raise every now and again, get paid, and leave my work at work. I don't need to be (and don't want to be) a superstar. I just want to help take care of my family, raise my daughter with my wife, and try to retire before the world explodes. That's really it. Thankfully my wife works and she has a bright career ahead of her with at least one to two more big promotions left before she plateaus so we would be able to absorb a pay cut. I have about 25 to 30 years left before retirement so if I'm going to make a change now is the time.

I have been researching Electrician and Lab Technician so far, and would like to know if anyone has any other ideas on what roles might meet the requirements I laid out above. Of course, one option would be to focus on learning more in my current role, which may help with my anxiety regarding my current position or I may spend the time doing that and end up feeling the same way in the end.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You want electronics calibration technician. I did it for 10 years and it's exactly what you just described. It's kinda boring, you follow the procedures as written, you can knock out anywhere from 1 to 15 items in a shift, more if you're running automated setups. The job was mostly stress free, although you did have the occasional priority. The downsides being it may not be super easy to break into because experience is king above all, military experience doubly so. It's also a small career field and most work can only be found in major metro areas. Another thing to watch out for is the companies that are doing it commercially vs the ones that have internal calibration teams vs the military installations. The commercial ones are known for being shady and not really investing back into the company or having any kind of quality control. Internal calibration labs are generally pretty chill but you're also in charge of writing your own procedures and doing all the research to figure out how to calibrate things you've never seen before. The military branches have dozens of labs with hundreds of people and entire teams dedicated to just writing procedures so literally your only job is to calibrate and possibly correct a procedure if you see something wrong. If you have more questions let me know

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also good, though this may depend on your locale etc, is just doing whatever IC work (IT stuff fits here) but in a slower paced industry. Specifically public sector.

I know many people who took the government job so that they could do 37.5 hours / week in a fairly low stakes environment and enjoy their evenings and other time off.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kudaros posted:

Is your work like 'Robotic Process Engineering' with tools similar to 'automation anywhere' or 'UIpath'? I know I've met some entry level folks in that role who weren't too stressed out, but I get the feeling that can be highly variable depending on the project.

Yes, Robotic Process Automation. The tools you're talking about are like a graphical UI that builds code on the back end when you build a job. My team codes directly in languages like C#, Java, Python to perform the same work. The tools like Automation Anywhere and Pega are easier to use and get going with, but are comparatively less powerful and flexible than building automation jobs from scratch.

Hotel Kpro posted:

You want electronics calibration technician. I did it for 10 years and it's exactly what you just described. It's kinda boring, you follow the procedures as written, you can knock out anywhere from 1 to 15 items in a shift, more if you're running automated setups. The job was mostly stress free, although you did have the occasional priority. The downsides being it may not be super easy to break into because experience is king above all, military experience doubly so. It's also a small career field and most work can only be found in major metro areas. Another thing to watch out for is the companies that are doing it commercially vs the ones that have internal calibration teams vs the military installations. The commercial ones are known for being shady and not really investing back into the company or having any kind of quality control. Internal calibration labs are generally pretty chill but you're also in charge of writing your own procedures and doing all the research to figure out how to calibrate things you've never seen before. The military branches have dozens of labs with hundreds of people and entire teams dedicated to just writing procedures so literally your only job is to calibrate and possibly correct a procedure if you see something wrong. If you have more questions let me know

Thanks, I will look into this!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

HCFJ posted:

Like the least time spent working, on or off clock, including training, to make 20-30k a year (45 if you want to be wildly forward-thinking). I'd rather work minimally day-wise than hour-wise (ie I'd prefer 1 ten-hour day over 5 two-hour days or w/e) but that wouldn't matter as much if it was remote. Assume I have no skills but the money to afford training/school.

My brother is a software developer for a large cloud company for a software product they have. He works completely remote (even before COVID) because he doesn’t need to interface with hardware, and has 1 tag up every day. It is agile so he is assigned specific tasks to get done in a 2 week window. He works on average 2 - 3 hours a day, but there isn’t a reason he couldn’t work 2 days to get everything done and then “take off” the rest of the week. He only sees “surges” in work like two or three weeks out of the year. He makes close to 6 figures in New England. He had about 3 years experience as a SW developer before this role.

I honestly do not know how it gets better than that with respect to your objectives. From what I’ve seen this may not be exactly the norm, but it has a lot of things going for it. In demand workforce, high pay, never needs to be in office, defined-task based so you kinda control your workload, etc.

In general I see a lot of SW developers that work from home and don’t get much done, maybe not 10 hrs/wk but definitely not 40. It is so in demand they can usually bounce around and be ineffective elsewhere if they end up getting forced out after 18 months or whatever.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 11, 2021

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an economics major who is supposed to be graduating soon, and I was wondering if there was any way to find a job more specific to my skills despite a poor GPA (let's say <3.0). Today I got an email in my student inbox recruiting people for a financial consulting job, and while it sounded cool, I figured it was unrealistic.

But is there anything else I could do? I feel like I have a solid grasp of basic statistics, and I have learned a little bit of Stata, and I'm supposed to learn more this semester. Since I have a bit of hard skills, I figure I should try to use them. Or is not possible given my lack of grades/experience?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm an economics major who is supposed to be graduating soon, and I was wondering if there was any way to find a job more specific to my skills despite a poor GPA (let's say <3.0). Today I got an email in my student inbox recruiting people for a financial consulting job, and while it sounded cool, I figured it was unrealistic.

But is there anything else I could do? I feel like I have a solid grasp of basic statistics, and I have learned a little bit of Stata, and I'm supposed to learn more this semester. Since I have a bit of hard skills, I figure I should try to use them. Or is not possible given my lack of grades/experience?

Never believe something is unrealistic career wise, unless you apply to a completely different field that obviously you know nothing about. If you can prove knowledge and skills in an interview no-one will care what your GPA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meshka posted:

Never believe something is unrealistic career wise, unless you apply to a completely different field that obviously you know nothing about. If you can prove knowledge and skills in an interview no-one will care what your GPA is.

That makes sense, thanks. But would you have any suggestions on how I could show my knowledge and skills on my resume/cover letter so that I would make it to the interview stage? I know GPA doesn't matter much (but I've heard it's very important for a lot of consulting management jobs) but what about my lack of experience?