Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Martman posted:

They decided to shift gears and it's gonna be a battle royale gacha game.

Silksong comes out but in reality it's Frog Fractions 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hobojim posted:

You do, but on steam it's super easy to do. Just go into betas in the steam menu and pick 1.4.1.2, it takes about three seconds. The mod installer for hollow knight makes the rest of it absurdly easy too, easiest game to mod I've come across.

Thanks! I was practicing him on ascended difficulty in the hall of gods and couldn't quite get it done, but in the actual fight I got some really lucky spawns on the platform section so it went quick. I only took one hit during the pantheon fight, aside from two lucky carefree melody activations. I guess it would have been closer without that.

Thanks, I'll try this out then! Doing the speedrun and steel soul achievements I realized that I'd rather replay the game trying out weird new routes than grind at the pantheons until I can beat Sage and above so this type of challenge sounds more like my jam.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sad Panda posted:

Has there been any news about Silk Song at all in the last few months? I was paying attention last year but it all seems to have gone completely dead and Googling finds basically nothing.

It was cancelled. They shifted gears and are now making mobile match 3 games.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Thanks, I'll try this out then! Doing the speedrun and steel soul achievements I realized that I'd rather replay the game trying out weird new routes than grind at the pantheons until I can beat Sage and above so this type of challenge sounds more like my jam.

Quick correction: It's 1.4.3.2, but it's the only numbered entry in the beta list so pretty easy to figure out.

Good luck! Unless you know where everything is in the game I heavily recommend the rando map mod (listed in the mod installer), which lets you talk to Elderbug 3 times to get all of the maps and wayward compass to start, and the maps show where items that you can access with your current items are. The only downside is that if you accidentally pick up collector's map, it's easy to get confused about what are actual items you can get and what are grubs shown from the collector's map, which never seem to disappear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As far as I know they haven’t made a peep since Christmas 2019, and then COVID happened and we have absolutely no idea how it impacted them or the game whatsoever

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There were a few NPC teases last year plus a magazine article just this past January but nothing since then, I think.

Hobojim posted:

Quick correction: It's 1.4.3.2, but it's the only numbered entry in the beta list so pretty easy to figure out.

Good luck! Unless you know where everything is in the game I heavily recommend the rando map mod (listed in the mod installer), which lets you talk to Elderbug 3 times to get all of the maps and wayward compass to start, and the maps show where items that you can access with your current items are. The only downside is that if you accidentally pick up collector's map, it's easy to get confused about what are actual items you can get and what are grubs shown from the collector's map, which never seem to disappear.

Yeah, I went with that one and everything seems fine. Quick trip report: I got an early Dash, Isma's Tear and Lunafly (great!) but no Mantis Claws, DD or City Crest (uh-oh!) so I'm trying to force my way through Queen's Gardens and into Deepnest, with the base nail and no walljump, in search of a way to get into the City of Tears. There's way more places you can't get out of (or that you can't get into) without Mantis Claw than I expected and the lack of Compass + unability to reach Cornifer in QG is really testing my navigational abilities, it feels very close to a first playthrough.

Randomizer owns.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The HK randomizer is amazing and is still being updated. I don't know what version is on the installer, but they have randomized geo rocks, lore tablets, the ability to swim, the difference between right and left dash and claw and lots of other ridiculous things that have no right to be randomized.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Bust Rodd posted:

As far as I know they haven’t made a peep since Christmas 2019, and then COVID happened and we have absolutely no idea how it impacted them or the game whatsoever

they're a small team based in south australia, they should have been about as isolated from the impact of the pandemic as it's possible to be. that's not saying there wouldn't be some impact but it's not likely to have completely upended things or significantly slowed them down. the edge magazine article at the start of the year was the last development update, and it gave the impression that development is going very well but made no promises about a release date or anything. i'd be pretty surprised if it's not out before the end of next year but it doesn't seem like they have any intention of really showing much off until it's close to done.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Randomizer owns.

:hai:

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The HK randomizer is amazing and is still being updated. I don't know what version is on the installer, but they have randomized geo rocks, lore tablets, the ability to swim, the difference between right and left dash and claw and lots of other ridiculous things that have no right to be randomized.

I don't think the swim randomization is in the current one on the mod installer, but I'm pretty sure the other ones are. I also don't remember if the mod installer one has charm notch randomization, which is my new favourite feature. I'm sure they'll update to the actual latest version soon enough though, at least I hope.

As far as I can tell you have to join the hollow knight discord for the latest one, but it's not like that's difficult.

My favourite rando run so far has ended up with me fighting the Hollow Knight with only down and right slash, no shade cloak, no focus and nail level 1. It took me five or six tries, but still finished in under 2 hours due to really lucky dreamer positions.

(Also custom knight is a great mod and I love some of the skins you can use)

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hobojim posted:

:hai:

I don't think the swim randomization is in the current one on the mod installer, but I'm pretty sure the other ones are. I also don't remember if the mod installer one has charm notch randomization, which is my new favourite feature. I'm sure they'll update to the actual latest version soon enough though, at least I hope.

As far as I can tell you have to join the hollow knight discord for the latest one, but it's not like that's difficult.

My favourite rando run so far has ended up with me fighting the Hollow Knight with only down and right slash, no shade cloak, no focus and nail level 1. It took me five or six tries, but still finished in under 2 hours due to really lucky dreamer positions.

(Also custom knight is a great mod and I love some of the skins you can use)

Randos where you find everything you need to win are super fun. Most people I watch go for true ending though, so they're usually a little more kitted out.

Seconding that custom knight is excellent and there are a ton of beautiful skins for it. My one caution is it is a memory hog and greatly increases the chances of THK being invisible.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Hornet Night skin is the cutest and I don't think I can go back after trying it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Randos where you find everything you need to win are super fun. Most people I watch go for true ending though, so they're usually a little more kitted out.

Seconding that custom knight is excellent and there are a ton of beautiful skins for it. My one caution is it is a memory hog and greatly increases the chances of THK being invisible.

I usually go for true ending too, but when the game tosses such a strange seed at me it just feels right to end it there.

I've had invisible bosses before and had no idea it was because of custom knight. Huh.

GimmickMan posted:

The Hornet Night skin is the cutest and I don't think I can go back after trying it.

Hornet skin is great, as is the Grimm Knight skin. The Starbunny one is absurdly cute and extremely well done as well. Skurry shows it off in this video.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

You can definitely get invisible bosses without the mod installed, there are lots of examples of speedruns getting ruined by bosses not showing up when they should (mostly THK but I've seen invisible false knight before), but using lots of mods, especially ones with custom graphics, tend to increase the odds of it happening.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Hollow Knight is good and I hope they make more.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

John DiFool posted:

Hollow Knight is good and I hope they make more.

More Hollow Knights?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Randomizer trip update: So if anyone was wondering whether deepnest was possible without the mantis claw... It isn't. Like straight up you cannot advance without it. You can't even make it to the hot spring. I got lucky and found the city crest at the rear end end of QG where the love key usually is so I could access the city that way. There I found more movement abilities and the game more or less proceeded as normal from there. Shortly after that point I got both halves of the Kingsoul early plus Grubberfly's Elegy so played the rest of the game in lightsaber mode which is something that wouldn't really happen normally since you get both of those charms so late in the game and one gets replaced like five minutes after you get it anyway. It's a lot less powerful against bosses than other builds but that was part of the charm.

Finished the game with like 80% completion. Randomizer was pretty fun and I recommend it to anyone who wants to re-experience HK through a different lens than normal.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 15, 2021

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

RCarr posted:

More Hollow Knights?

No cost too great

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5FnvrEwUlg

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Eeepies posted:

No cost too great
But hopefully like $30

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

absolutely loving nuts

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Mental_Illness.mov

On that clip

Why would anyone do that to themselves

gently caress

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Love how it shows off Shape of Unn that lets you heal while moving around. So many boss fights that it’s useful for and it’s a bit underrated.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Eeepies posted:

No cost too great

No. Cost too great!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

jeeves posted:

Mental_Illness.mov

On that clip

Why would anyone do that to themselves

gently caress

Says in the description it's segmented. Still insane tho.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Says in the description it's segmented. Still insane tho.
segmented.......like a bug

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

John DiFool posted:

No. Cost too great!

https://youtu.be/5yuL6PcgSgM

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Pantheon of Hollownest done holy fish. The breakthrough came when I realized I really wasn't casting spells at Absolute Radiance, so after some checks through the wiki, I took out Shaman Stone + Spell Twister for... Fragile Heart and Dreamshield.

I did not know Dreamshield did the same damage as a nail poke. It added so much extra damage that importantly didn't need a break from concentration to do. The second breakthrough came when I realized I could heal for 2 between stage 4 and 5, since the first few lasers won't target you.

I'm still super happy about beating it, it's been something I've been coming back to for at least a year.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

nice work. it's probably the hardest gamer thing i've ever done and ever will do.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I didn't respect Dreamshield until trying it out against NKG and the free hits really racked up. It's a good charm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I put about an hour into NKG and felt like I was worse at the fight than when I started. What are your charm set ups, and what am I supposed to do besides not ever let him hit me and wait for a split second opening to tap him 2-3 times?

This boss feels harder than anything in Bloodborne or Sekiro to me, lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
don't remember my charm setup besides longnail+quick slash, but his fireball attack can be dodged in a single well-placed dash and he has one move that gives you carte blanche to slash the living poo poo out of him until it's done (the flame pillar summon)

i just studied youtube videos to get a better sense of his tells

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride, Grimmchild, Dreamshield. YMMV on Mark of Pride, I am too used to always having it on so that's 3 extra notches if you think you can do away with it or 1 if you're ok with just the Long Nail.

The best windows for attack are the firebats and firepillars. You can walk under the first bat, jump over the second, then dash through the 3rd/4th to get your licks in and during the firepillars you can sloowly take baby steps below him while slashing up a bunch of times. This second tactic can backfire if he does the "teleports behind u" trick and corners you against the wall though, especially if he skitters away before the uppercut and negates your shadow cloak. That part of the fight always felt like RNG to me, since the best way to dodge the uppercut is to dash away from him and you can't do that if you're cornered.

I also did it over a period of several days taking a break for the day after 15-30 mins if it started to feel like I was tilting.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bust Rodd posted:

I put about an hour into NKG and felt like I was worse at the fight than when I started. What are your charm set ups, and what am I supposed to do besides not ever let him hit me and wait for a split second opening to tap him 2-3 times?

This boss feels harder than anything in Bloodborne or Sekiro to me, lol
NKG is a boss fight where every move he does have near exact counters, where you can condition yourself to autopilot every one of his moves and then eventually deal damage as you are dodging (his bat attacks is probably the most explicitly easy one to do out of the gate). I might suggest trying to focus on one of his moves at a time until you feel comfortable enough trying to do so on the next one; eventually they will string together and you will find yourself ideally able to get through all of his phases with increasing levels of reliability.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The only move of his I found really difficult to deal with was his uppercut where the fireballs would keep tagging me. To a lesser extent the kick as well, but I learned to recognise that at least.

The flame pillars is your main healing window. Once the final pillar is out you can get in two ticks of healing if you start focusing straight away.

Shape of Unn charm lets you heal during the fire bats attack, as they'll pass over top of you so long as you don't run out of soul and stand up half way through. Personally I found that better to use as an attack window since, as someone else said, you can very consistently dodge them and close the distance with him by jumping the first, walking under the second, then dashing through the third. The fourth will pass over the top of you while you smack him in the face.

As for charms, unbreakable strength is obviously going to help you a lot. I used quick focus too just so the heal windows weren't quite so tight. Grubsong and Soul Catcher also helped me a lot because double damage meant a lot of healing. Some people have said going for damageless and prioritising damage charms was the best way but that wasn't my experience.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eeepies posted:

Pantheon of Hollownest done holy fish. The breakthrough came when I realized I really wasn't casting spells at Absolute Radiance, so after some checks through the wiki, I took out Shaman Stone + Spell Twister for... Fragile Heart and Dreamshield.

I did not know Dreamshield did the same damage as a nail poke. It added so much extra damage that importantly didn't need a break from concentration to do. The second breakthrough came when I realized I could heal for 2 between stage 4 and 5, since the first few lasers won't target you.

I'm still super happy about beating it, it's been something I've been coming back to for at least a year.

Congratulations. It's an insane accomplishment, well done.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My usual setup in this game for fighting bosses was Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride, Soul Catcher, and Quick Slash. Pretty vanilla but useful. I think it felt like the way the game was played by playtesters, or something.

I should try out Dreamshield in the future. I didn't realize it did damage, the description doesn't really imply such. Just goes to show things are worth testing out even if you think they might not be worthwhile.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’ll try shield, strength, and pride and see how it goes. I would prefer to simply not get hit than try and balance healing with nailing

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sharp Shadow is absolutely incredible for NKG (and most bosses really, underrated charm), it lets you get a lot of free hits in and gives you more leeway for dashing through him and his attacks. The uppercut is trivial to dodge when you can just dash through him and sit underneath, you can hit him during the dive and so on.

The other excellent charm combo is Shape of Unn and Deep Focus which can easily triple your effective masks or more because it’s easy to heal up to 6 masks whenever he does the flame pillar attack.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sharp Shadow is amazing but it lengthens your dash and I keep running into projectiles or falling off platforms when I put it on. If you can get used to it, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Charm discussion is making me think, assuming there's some similar kind of build variety in Silksong, I hope there are opportunities to really reward players for using different builds.

Being able to experiment is cool on its own, but it can be hard to overcome the inertia of getting so used to your preferred build. I would love it if there were optional fights (or just alternate versions of fights) where you could get some special reward for using certain charm builds, whether it's just an unusual build for that fight or even a kind of hard mode.