Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Excellent, thank you for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.cubicle7games.com/aos-soulbound-looking-ahead/

So Soulbound is getting an Ulfenkarn splatbook next year, and one book bringing the narrative to 3rd ed as well. Among other things.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'm building up a bit of a bits box of Stormcast parts and have a spare Lord Imperitant and Knight Arcanum unbuilt (from eBay wins on Dominion lots).

Are there any Stormcast heroes that you could easily convert from them that are generally useful to take or good supporters? My library of bits comprises a lot of spare helmets/arms/weapons from a box of Dracothan Guard so there's hammers, glaives, crossbows and swords.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm refurbishing some classic daemons!Questions for the Tzeentch-knowers:

1)How do you tell who is the boss pyrocaster Flamer in a unit? All three look identical in the new plastics. I'm just going to add excessive flames to one in each unit, does that sound right?

2) How big is the Exaulted Flamer's base? And he's just a big one with extra flames and features?

3) Are there any great retro-style proxies for brimstone horrors? I have a handful of metal Epic horrors and classic Nurglings that might work, but they're not common or cheap.

These aren't mine, but this is the direction I'd like to go:

(Like this guy)

moths fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 9, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.cubicle7games.com/aos-soulbound-looking-ahead/

So Soulbound is getting an Ulfenkarn splatbook next year, and one book bringing the narrative to 3rd ed as well. Among other things.

All of these books look super cool.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Ulfenkarn book feels to me like a victim of the issues surrounding Cursed City, in that it is coming out well after that entire plot thread has rather definitively ended and Ulfenkarn has been liberated and saved from the Nadir.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Furism posted:

The Vallejo Metal Color line is what you're looking for. Specifically Pale Burnt Metal in your case. They don't come in spray cans, so if you don't own an airbrush you'll need to use regular brushes. But the paint is so fantastic it brushes on perfectly. Can't recommend it enough.

Never used Pale burnt metal but I can sing to the high heavens about Vallejo's Metal Colour Line. I've exclusively used a mix of silver, steel and gunmetal grey to paint up my KO and they brush on amazingly, and I just chucked em in an airbrush for my vehicles. Both approaches work amazingly well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrDraxium posted:

Never used Pale burnt metal but I can sing to the high heavens about Vallejo's Metal Colour Line. I've exclusively used a mix of silver, steel and gunmetal grey to paint up my KO and they brush on amazingly, and I just chucked em in an airbrush for my vehicles. Both approaches work amazingly well.

Pale burnt metal is my favourite. It's got a lot of character in it with little work. Grab a pot it's so good! Gunmetal is also great for things like Knight frames and it probably a bit more analogous to leadbelcher but darker from the outset. Just means it's faster to drybrush etc.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

JBP posted:

Pale burnt metal is my favourite. It's got a lot of character in it with little work. Grab a pot it's so good! Gunmetal is also great for things like Knight frames and it probably a bit more analogous to leadbelcher but darker from the outset. Just means it's faster to drybrush etc.

Will do!

Also my Barak Thryng list I posted earlier in the thread saw me come last in my local tournament :negative: but I did get a limited edition DoK dice set and some store credit for being the best sport so I actually ended up with as much valuve as the 2nd and 3rd place winners! Lesson learned to either be the best or suck immensely! No room for a mediocre middle of the road result!

In all seriousness though, it was my first tournament and I had a lot of fun. I did make some extremely critical mistakes which saw my Ironclad get shot down very early on in all three games. I also setup my Ironclad on the long edge of terrain/edge of the map a couple times which meant that once it got shot down, even though lots of the garrisoned troops survived, they all died because I couldn't set them up 3" from the Ironclad and 3" from the enemies.

I learned a lot though. Still very daunting trying to remember all the rules of 3.0 and my own faction rules and then trying to stay on top of the game itself. I've bookmarked places in my Battletome and I'm currently writing out a strategy document to keep on a double sided A5 laminated shee, but it's still so easy to lose track of stuff.

How do people do it? Just play a whole ton until it becomes muscle memory? Any tips?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

DrDraxium posted:

How do people do it? Just play a whole ton until it becomes muscle memory? Any tips?
AoS Reminders is a must for me, I doubt I could play without it and it's already updated with 3.0 rules. You can see how it works in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CGi16FW9hA

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Talas posted:

AoS Reminders is a must for me, I doubt I could play without it and it's already updated with 3.0 rules. You can see how it works in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CGi16FW9hA

I did have a printout of my AoS reminders for my list, but under the pressure of a tournament setting, I didn't want to continually leaf through it when we had two hours per game (which both veteran and newbies agreed is too short to play an entire game of AoS.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

The Ulfenkarn book feels to me like a victim of the issues surrounding Cursed City, in that it is coming out well after that entire plot thread has rather definitively ended and Ulfenkarn has been liberated and saved from the Nadir.

From the blurb there is material for playing during multiple periods of the Cities timeline. I imagine three that would make the most sense would be, before Radukar openly took over, during Radukar's reign, and after Radukar was defeated and ran away.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm so baffled by the Ulfenkarn sourcebook. What happened to Cursed City. Why is this coming so late. Where's bigfoot, assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's coming late because they're working on other Soulbound books like Champions of Death and Destruction.
As what for happened with Cursed City, we'll probably never really know in the end.

And everyone knows Bigfoot moved to Canada.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Champions of Death should be out within a month, two at most, so that’s cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/10/magic-and-mayhem-the-dragon-princes-rules-make-them-a-ruinous-tag-team-in-battle/

Stormcast battletome rule preview. Featuring lethal tail.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I am looking forward to buying a dragon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No-miss sniping and horde sweeper tail attack, huh?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's hilarious how many more mortal wounds 3 boltboyz can spit out than the scouring fire breath of a milennia-old dragon prince

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can see the dragon coming and get out of the way!

Boltboyz are more kunning.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Very true. For my SCE I apply a thinned down contrast paint (could use ink with contrast medium) to dull it more and it works perfectly.

VMC's Steel is very nice too but quite a bit darker than Leadbelcher.

VMA Gunmetal maps exactly to Leadbelcher. I use it interchangeably with the spray.

It's interesting that you describe VMC (metal colour presumably?) Steel as being darker than Leadbelcher because VMA Steel is a mid-range silver and is a lovely colour for all sorts of metals.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

I did have a printout of my AoS reminders for my list, but under the pressure of a tournament setting, I didn't want to continually leaf through it when we had two hours per game (which both veteran and newbies agreed is too short to play an entire game of AoS.)

I feel like having a AOS Reminders sheet makes me play way faster. It is organized by phase, so each phase I just quickly go down the checklist of things I can do.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Man, those dragons will absolutely gently caress up horde armies. Considering they look to be on Archaon-sized pie plates, you can get *a lot* of models within 3" of them. And all those attacks being 3/3/-2/2 is pretty nuts.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

VMA Gunmetal maps exactly to Leadbelcher. I use it interchangeably with the spray.

It's interesting that you describe VMC (metal colour presumably?) Steel as being darker than Leadbelcher because VMA Steel is a mid-range silver and is a lovely colour for all sorts of metals.

Yea it's a bit strange but metal colour steel is an incredibly dark paint, one of the darkest in the whole range. Lovely metal though, has a fantastic amount of depth to it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Z the IVth posted:

Yes Metal Colour. It felt darker than Leadbelcher to me but it's entirely possible I'm wrong. My default go-to is Pale Burn Metal + some kind of dark wash/contrast for "steel-looking armor", but again it might be a matter of taste at this point. I use Steel for the darker recesses.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way to unbend a base? One of the 60? mm bases is bent in half pretty decently that came with Dominion (and an arm to something fell out)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Wow - how the heck did that happen!? If you got it from GW direct, just contact them and get a replacement. If not, you're kind of out of luck and they're going to send you to whoever you bought it from.

It's plastic, not resin, so it's not just a matter of getting it in hot water. If you have access to a heat gun you may want to try that, just don't go crazy and melt the plastic. Do a little at a time, and see if you can very slowly bend it back into shape. If you move too quickly, you're going to wind up breaking it at that flex point. Good luck.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any way to unbend a base? One of the 60? mm bases is bent in half pretty decently that came with Dominion (and an arm to something fell out)

You could try a heat gun and be very careful, but it's really hard. Once I warp a base I usually just replace it. They are pretty cheap to find online.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

You could try a heat gun and be very careful, but it's really hard. Once I warp a base I usually just replace it. They are pretty cheap to find online.

I'm reaching out to the vendor who says he can potentially send me a replacement base he has in stock but not in the website.

Man this guy owns

you can see the bottom box is warped but the top box is fine, so I'm thinking it was pre-shipment

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

I feel like having a AOS Reminders sheet makes me play way faster. It is organized by phase, so each phase I just quickly go down the checklist of things I can do.

I've now realised I can throw extra stuff into AoS reminders like stuff about priority rolling and command points (just straight up how they work) so it's actually going to be much more useful. Plus my next few games won't be under a rushed high pressure tournament environment so here's hoping!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is anyone in the UK interested in buying the Stormcast half of Dominion for £45+shipping? I'd rather not have to bother with Ebay to offload it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm reaching out to the vendor who says he can potentially send me a replacement base he has in stock but not in the website.

Man this guy owns

you can see the bottom box is warped but the top box is fine, so I'm thinking it was pre-shipment

Email GW, their customer service for replacements is generally amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m not in the UK, but I have a friend who is and might be. Will ask him.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

Email GW, their customer service for replacements is generally amazing.

Only if you buy directly from them now. They used to be great, but people abused the system, so now they just tell you to talk to whoever you bought the item from. So good luck if you bought on Ebay, and good luck if your FLGS doesn't want to crack open a $200 starter set because you got a damaged base.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Only if you buy directly from them now. They used to be great, but people abused the system, so now they just tell you to talk to whoever you bought the item from. So good luck if you bought on Ebay, and good luck if your FLGS doesn't want to crack open a $200 starter set because you got a damaged base.

In my experience they just ask to show a receipt.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That is really strange. I've never seen a base warped like that out of a box and I've been in the hobby for 30 years.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

That is really strange. I've never seen a base warped like that out of a box and I've been in the hobby for 30 years.

Yeah I don't really know what to say, that was legit out of the box. The bottom box is warped too, as you can see. The box that it came in was fine. The 65mm and 90mm? Wasn't packaged in the bag of bases, so it slipped around and the corner got dropped before the game store got it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/12/build-all-dragon-armies-and-other-fierce-forces-with-the-new-stormcast-eternals-battletome

Time for another Stormcast battletome preview.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Giving the Hammers an identity that isn’t just Generic Stormcast is good by me. Dragon battleline also good.

I hate the Knights Excelsior fluff wise, but they look good mechanically, too. Astral Templars still a hard counter pick for monsters but that’s actually valuable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

drat, I love those changes to the stormhosts.

Annihilators battleline :getin: