Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Carlito's Way is getting a 4k UHD in October, and I am pumped.

October's release line-up is ridiculously stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately though The Addams Family was delayed until November, which sucks because I wanted to watch that during Halloween season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Halloween season doesn't end until you've finished the Thanksgiving leftovers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My pumpkin from last year is still sitting on my front porch, it's looking scarier than ever.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The BFI announces their latest set of releases, including Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue (1980) and their first UHD: Bergman's The Seventh Seal (1957): https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/seventh-seal-uhd-blu-ray-release

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

Halloween season doesn't end until you've finished the Thanksgiving leftovers.

The second film is definitely a Thanksgiving movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea if it was a combo set that had both films in it I'd be happy to get it in November because Family Values is absolutely a Thanksgiving movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rascar Capac posted:

The BFI announces their latest set of releases, including Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue (1980) and their first UHD: Bergman's The Seventh Seal (1957): https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/seventh-seal-uhd-blu-ray-release

BFI continues to be the best release label. :swoon:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Couldn’t help myself and pre-ordered the Arte Original Deep Red UHD. It just looks so nice!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally have a 4K UHD player. Christened it with one of my all-time faves: the Arrow release of Donnie Darko. It looked more crisp than I'd ever seen and I was picking out little details I'd never noticed in this movie I've seen at least a dozen times before :swoon:

Of these 3 UHDs I've got on my Amazon wish list, which am I likely to be blown away by more?

Blade Runner 2049
The Matrix
Prometheus

I've seen/love all 3, and they're all gorgeous movies. But yeah, which is most likely to make me go "holy poo poo" when watching?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

2049 is top tier, but man, get your hands on the OG. Even better.

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
If your couch is 10 ft away from your TV wall, what's the largest TV you could reasonably use for 4K viewing?

I mean what's optimum so that I get the most detail but I don't feel like I'm sitting too close to the screen?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

caligulamprey posted:

2049 is top tier, but man, get your hands on the OG. Even better.

This - 2049 looks as good as you expect it to but the original will impress you more.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TerraCat posted:

If your couch is 10 ft away from your TV wall, what's the largest TV you could reasonably use for 4K viewing?

I mean what's optimum so that I get the most detail but I don't feel like I'm sitting too close to the screen?

I’m about 7-8 ft from mine and 65” really hits. Honestly, going up to 75” is something I considered after I got my 65”, but I’ve found it to be a perfect size as time has gone on.

Cacator posted:

This - 2049 looks as good as you expect it to but the original will impress you more.

Yeah, older films really seem to shine on the format in a way they didn’t on BD.

Obviously, even in UHD bad transfers exist.

The best examples of the format though are movies that were shot on film, with some really spectacular examples from older movies. Modern film w CGI can be a little hit or miss, honestly The Matrix will look great but its sequels are not as up to snuff.

4K Native digital movies are next. BR2049 is such an example.

And then at the bottom are the upscales. They can look better, with the main benefits being for color via HDR or just a better transfer than what the BD had.

If you like any Kubrick, any of the UHDs are top notch w The Shining being a reference/example disc. That loving helicopter intro…. Gorgeous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nice, thanks! :)

I've got 2001: A Space Odyssey already, just have yet to watch it. I only got the 4K player today.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Out of the three he’s bought, I’d probably point him towards watching The Matrix first as it’s the only direct 4K scan of the three - so it’s straight from a Super 35 negative to the digital file, both BR2049 and Prometheus I believe are sourced from the 2K DIs - and it’s also a movie that, as the oldest favorite, he’s probably seen the jumps from DVD to BD and so would more immediately see how things have jumped up from format to format each time. Also because the UHD Matrix remastering fixed the color back to being what the Wachowskis and Pope originally wanted it to look like at the time and not feel like someone just plastered a green filter over every in-Matrix scene like the master they did twelve years ago. I think the booklet in the trilogy box set is even like “this movie’s look is now technically more accurate than the prints in 1999”.

That and there’s nothing in BR2049 or Prometheus that quite hits the “oh gently caress THAT’S BRIGHT” as Neo’s first jacking into the void so Morpheus can lore dump at him. That moment really lets you know “hey so your TV can get this bright with HDR”. The other movies look great, although in terms of further stretching the high resolution/wide color legs after The Matrix it’d be BR2049 and then Prometheus if only because there’s a lot more vivid color work in 2049 while, of course, Prometheus is very steely and dank, blacks and blues with sharp bursts of white light every so often so it’s more the detail in shadow, the fine details of the costumes and sets, and those occasional bursts of light that pop.

Which, while with a much wider spectrum of color than Prometheus, you could say about that Almost Famous UHD disc. The texture of the water bag when Penny has to puke up Qualuudes is, uh, pretty remarkable. Plus you see how close they really got to the 70s aesthetic, that swing at an Ashby and Altman crossover look photographically. The highlights won’t knock your socks off, the movie’s generally got a soft, hazy look to it, but boy the fine details like the costume work and props are incredibly appreciable at the higher resolution.

But yeah, grab classics if you can (after checking to make sure whatever studio released the disc didn’t gently caress it up). Even something like Evil Dead, made on 16mm, is real good looking in 4K.

Although my gold standard for the classic stuff is still Back To The Future, specifically 1 and 3, the Indy movies that just came out - especially Raiders - or the Hitchcocks that have been done, depending on the day. Universal’s really going hard with their catalog of classic films and I like it. I’d put the Kubricks just below those, but way up high in the “just buy the drat thing” zone regardless, especially something like 2001 or Full Metal Jacket.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was at the record store today and saw they had Godzilla vs Kong on 3D Bluray. I had no idea they were still making those.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
BR2049 was shot in 3.4K. But apparently the HDR on the 4K disc isn't much different from the BR, and far less dramatic than a lot of HDR discs because Deakins personally doesn't like HDR.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was at the record store today and saw they had Godzilla vs Kong on 3D Bluray. I had no idea they were still making those.

I think that is basically the only major recentish release on 3d bluray. Black Widow is going to be the first MCU movie since Iron Man 2 to not get a 3d bluray.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
2049 is the ultimate movie to just sooooak in the 4K as far as I'm concerned. The original looks fantastic too, but it's not as all-absorbing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Speed Racer UHD when?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TerraCat posted:

Speaking as someone who sits 10 ft from a 108" 2K screen... the biggest you can afford. Always.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My 2018 65" TCL Series 6 TV decided to burn out on Saturday. It sounds like the power supply, and I've got a repair kit on the way, but it won't be here until Friday. Man, it really sucks not having a TV that can do 4k for a week.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just got an e-mail notification that Severin shipped my Blood For Dracula 4k UHD.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out Fry's Electronics went out of business. A few years ago they were one of the last good places to get movies. But then they pivoted to having 75% of their shelf space in every section empty. I guess that didn't work out for them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fry’s selection was unparalleled in the early/mid-00s, but I always found them to be super pricey.

Once in a great while I’d find good stuff on clearance there, though. Snagged a big chunk of my Arrow collection that way.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've only been in a Fry's twice: once in 2000 when I needed to buy a motherboard for a PC I was building, and the other in 2019 when I was trying to find soldering equipment. The first time was way more memorable, just lots of stuff on the shelves as far as I could see in the store. The second time was just sad, just a giant warehouse that was completely empty with a few people walking the floor.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Fry's tried to pivot to a consignment model, which I think made all the movie and game publishers tell them to gently caress off, which explains the empty movie section and the full "knockoff perfume from Aliexpress" section there at the end

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did anyone's Amazon order for the thing change to "unknown" for a shipping date? It was listed as Sept 7 but they changed it to a tbd even though the product page still lists the original date.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Did anyone's Amazon order for the thing change to "unknown" for a shipping date? It was listed as Sept 7 but they changed it to a tbd even though the product page still lists the original date.

Mine did the same. However, I think I'm just going to get the Best Buy exclusive steelbook instead (better artwork, will actually get the movie on release date versus Amazon). And probably will get that UK Studio Canal set if Diabolik gets copies.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Middle-Earth-6-Film-Ultimate-Collectors-Edition-4K-UHD-Blu-ray/297743/

Saw this in my newsfeed, really loving annoyed if there's actual new content like they're saying on the forums.

My wife got me the LOTR set for Xmas last year and I splurged on the hobbit set during prime day. These movies have been out for ages, kind of lovely they release separate trilogies and come back a year later touting one complete set with new content.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Middle-Earth-6-Film-Ultimate-Collectors-Edition-4K-UHD-Blu-ray/297743/

Saw this in my newsfeed, really loving annoyed if there's actual new content like they're saying on the forums.

My wife got me the LOTR set for Xmas last year and I splurged on the hobbit set during prime day. These movies have been out for ages, kind of lovely they release separate trilogies and come back a year later touting one complete set with new content.

It's because you're the only person who bought The Hobbit Trilogy, and they have to get them out of the warehouses somehow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

So far the only new content that seems to have been announced is a few 30 minute long cast reunion interview segments. Not anything to really get upset about imo, BUT if you're someone who doesn't already own one of the older blu ray sets that came with all the hours of behind the scenes making-of documentaries, well yea I can see how it would be aggravating if this new set has all that stuff and you already spent the money on the barebones sets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I specifically held off on buying the barebones 4K set because I wanted a version that had the 572367644 hours of special features.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I've gotten to the point with movies I own where I'll watch a making of or interview for each movie and that's it. The overpacked stuff on Lord of the Rings movies is nice and all but I'll never see 90% of it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am looking forward to buying someones bare bones 4K set for $20 second hand.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

I've gotten to the point with movies I own where I'll watch a making of or interview for each movie and that's it. The overpacked stuff on Lord of the Rings movies is nice and all but I'll never see 90% of it.

The documentaries on the Hobbit movies are better than the actual movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can think of very little video footage I've watched which isn't.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I can think of very little video footage I've watched which isn't.

Here is my half hearted defense of the Hobbit: the first one is mostly okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I knew it was going to be bullshit after they left out the singing and I never even read the drat book.