Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Falconier111 posted:

"Hanako said you look fairly... healthy, so I naturally thought..."

Okay, I'd forgotten about this line, but it gives me a non-spoilery opening to at least begin to explain my theory of why Hanako chose to sit next to Hisao earlier rather than Lilly. Put simply, Hanako liked Hisao right away, for reasons I'll go into more thoroughly later. That pause before "healthy" is obviously Lilly finding an alternative descriptor to avoid blurting out "Hanako said you look fairly cute/handsome/attractive/otherwise not sickly"*. This also implies that Hanako had an offscreen moment mirroring Hisao's earlier conversation with Kenji, where, if you're aiming for Hanako's route, Hisao says she was cute.

*This also shows that even Yamaku students aren't immune to making missteps in regards to things like invisible disabilities, assuming Hisao is in good health just because he's Dating Sim Protagonist Handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

this scene made me sad were going down Hanako's route instead of Lilly's. My first route was Lilly years ago and I had forgotten how chill she is.

It's safe to say that Hanako and Lilly's routes are my favourites.

I think Lilly's route works especially well as the final route you go through though, for reasons I obviously can't talk about at this stage! I was happy that I had Hanako and Lilly's routes book-ending the whole thing - I will say that.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Gonna go ahead and call it now; it looks like the thread likes chess. You won't be seeing the aftermath for a bit over a week, but you made the right choice both of them are the right choice.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I feel like this is relevant to the thread:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1423765066889977862

BBC done did a big ol' ableism.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The phrase illness influences makes me sick, but I think I have that reaction to anything with influencer appended to it...

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Some things that stand out to me:
  • I'd be a lot more inclined to believe this video's premise if people weren't constantly accusing disabled people of faking their disabilities for attention. Not in the influencer world, in everyday life.
  • As much as the video seems to imply the people doing the harassment are other disabled women, I highly doubt they form the bulk of harassers. Too many crusaders out there with very specific ideas of disability ready to lash out at anyone who doesn't meet them. But the video never mentions them.
  • Hell, we've already talked about how people see disability as something that makes you incapable of doing anything. These women are doing things while having talking about having disabilities of various kinds, no wonder that strikes people as fake if they've already subscribed to that worldview.
  • We've also talked about how women are so much more likely to have their health concerns dismissed. Yeah, I know a high proportion of women are influencers, but it didn't escape me that it ONLY talked about women. I can't help but wonder whether their male equivalents catch this much flak.
  • The joke goes that if you need attention so bad you hurt yourself, you actually still need attention. They do have that one doctor who comes on to talk about this, but again, I highly doubt that crosses the minds of most of the people involved in this.
  • Speaking of which, does the video ever talk about what exactly this harassment entails? Kind of an odd decision to frame the video as an exploration of people getting attacked online without covering the attacks. I wonder if what they turned up would change the message.
  • And I do like how they only talked to people who believe in their premise and didn't find anybody who could push back.
So… Yeah, not overly impressed. I mean, it could've been much worse. The fact that like 80% of the video featured actual disabled people talking about the issue puts it leaps and bounds ahead of anything that would've been released 20 years ago, and I don't doubt that there are influencers faking illnesses for clout or because they think they have something they don't. I've had encounters with people who say they've had rabies for years, which… Jesus Christ :psyduck:. But this smacks of somebody going in already convinced they're right and not bothering to pursue anything that might challenge their idea, and that's not good journalism.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 8, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 39: Quiet

:eng101:Head back to the bottom of Update 14, when Muto takes Hisao out into the hall to talk to him. Look for the line that starts with “something about this”, then jump back to this update. :eng101:

Mutou stands in the hallway, scratching his head as he works out what he is trying to say. Not knowing what is going on, I wait silently.

MUTOU: "So, tell me, how are things?"

HISAO: "Things?"

I expected Mutou to be a little vague, but this is pushing the limits.

MUTOU: "You know. Things. You've had a week to settle in now, so how are things?"

HISAO: "Er, fine I guess."

MUTOU: "I see. And how is your... condition?"

The pause before “condition” seemed a little unnecessary.

HISAO: "Haven't had any problems so far."

A brief shimmer of relief passes across Mutou's face.

MUTOU: "Good, that's good. The school nurse was a little concerned that you might have been pushing yourself a bit too hard. He asked me to keep an eye on you when he couldn't."

HISAO: "That makes sense..."

MUTOU: "I'd ask that you don't blow us off so freely. As much as we try to give you the level of education that you would get at a normal school, you have to realize that you have limits. Our goal is to make sure that you know where those limits are, and how to maximize your potential within them. Do you follow me?"

HISAO: "I guess. I mean, I don't plan on doing anything stupid."

MUTOU: "Well, that's a start, I guess."

:eng101: Next, go to the top of Update 15. Stop after Hisao calls Hanako a fast reader and I start talking about how the Support scene works. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Daylight

But why would Lilly leave her to her own devices? It seems to be quite out of the ordinary, going by Hanako's reaction. ... ...Ah, that's right. I think Lilly mentioned something about going into town today before Rin bumped into us. The thought of that walk makes me look outside.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Daylight (Muted)

:eng101:The clouds slowly drift by.

The bright sun and occasional people wandering around and enjoying the afternoon make me yearn to get out of school, or at least do something other than sit here. Giving in to one of my worst vices, procrastination, I decide that history is a subject best studied on a Sunday. Or a Monday. Or on any day other than this one. I give a grunt as I lever myself out of my seat, briefly debating with myself whether or not to hang out with Kenji. He doesn't strike me as the “enjoying the nice weather outside with others” kind of person, really. I guess I'll catch up with him later.

Changing tacks, I briefly entertain the idea of talking with Hanako, but by the time I look at her seat, it's vacant. She must've left for the library.

There's got to be something to do that can kill the time...

>Go for a walk into town.
>Go to the library.

:eng101:Lilly and Hanako are so joined at the hip that this choice is the only thing that separates their routes. If we wanted to go with Lilly, we’d head out into town, but, we don’t. :eng101:

=>Go to the library.

:eng101:Hanako’s route is now locked in. :eng101:

The library seems as good a place as any to go. Hanako looked as if she was taken pretty off-guard by Lilly leaving, so she might want someone to talk to.

(Silence)

Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I make my way out of the classroom. I walk down the hallway to the library, past a multitude of closed doors. Through each one the sound of furious rehearsal can be heard. Rock music blares out of one door, almost as loud as a concert. I guess that's one of the advantages of a private school; there are actually enough rooms to go around at a time like this. And, when I think about it, the grounds and buildings of the school are kept in pretty good condition. That can't be too cheap. I've heard that this place has some pretty serious benefactors.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Fripperies

The walls of the library only partially insulate the noise of the festival preparations, but they're the only sounds to be heard. Not a soul stirs here, with everyone apparently enjoying the weather outside or working on festival events. Yuuko isn't here either. Maybe she doesn't work on Saturdays. I quietly walk through the library, now fairly familiar with its layout. I head to the back, where Hanako's private little corner is.

I run my hand along the spines of the books on the way through, feeling the individual texture of each as I glance across the titles. I used to do this all the time at the library at the hospital. Some things never change, I guess. Like the smell of a library. No matter how much care you take, the paper in books is always going to degrade with time. Probably, no matter which library you go into, anywhere in the world, it must have that same, musty smell.

I find something that looks light enough to read without any major thought involved then look for Hanako in the reading area.

Once again, she is sitting on a beanbag with her back to a bookshelf. Reading the same book she'd had in the classroom, she's slowly making her way through the pages. Unlike last time I saw her here, I quietly take a seat in a beanbag. The noise is enough to catch her attention, but not startle her. This delicate routine that must be followed each and every time I try to talk to her almost feels like hunting game.

HISAO: "Is that the same book as before?"

HANAKO: "Y-yes... I'm almost finished..."

HISAO: "Cool."

I wonder if I should...

HISAO: "Do you mind if I borrow it when you're finished?"

My mouth is faster than my mind, it seems.

HANAKO: "S-sure... you m-may not like it but..."

HISAO: "I'm sure it can't be that bad. After all, you've stuck with it, haven't you?"

HANAKO: "I-I guess."

I settle into my beanbag and set about reading my own book that had been buried in my bag. It's a light novel about pirates. To be honest I'm barely skimming over the words, having chosen the book merely because it belongs to a different genre than I usually read. Finding it hard to muster enough enthusiasm to finish the book, and noting that I've inadvertently distracted Hanako quite a bit, I decide to try and make conversation.

HISAO: "So, I see Lilly left without you?"

She nods before taking her eyes off her book. She must have been really into it after all.

HANAKO: "Lilly said she had to go and... meet someone..."

HISAO: "Oh?"

HANAKO: "A-Akira. Her sister..."

HISAO: "Sister? I haven't heard her talk about her family..."

HANAKO: "She... she and Akira used to live together."

HISAO: "I thought all the students lived in the dorms?"

HANAKO: "T-they... I mean we... don't have to."

HISAO: "But it's easier, right? I mean, there's food here and you're close to school... I don't think I've ever been to class on time so often in my life."

Her badly hidden smile proves quite rewarding. In the back of my mind I know I have a bit of homework to catch up on, but it's quite comfortable in here. No one can find me and force me into working for their pet project, either. Though now that I'm thinking about the festival, another question comes up...

HISAO: "Hey, Hanako, what are you doing for the festival?"

(Sudden Silence)

For a split second I think that Hanako is about to throw her book in the air from shock.

HANAKO: "S-sorry...?"

HISAO: "I was just asking what you're doing for the festival tomorrow. Anything planned?"

HANAKO: "I... I don't know."

Hanako answers in the way that people do when they don't want you to ask any more questions. I take it large crowds and loud music aren't really her “thing.”

HISAO: "Oh, okay."

Change the subject, change the subject...

HISAO: "So, what's Lilly's sister like?"

HANAKO: "She... she's nice. She's pretty like Lilly, but she dresses... business-like..."

HISAO: "Business-like?"

HANAKO: "She... she's always wearing a suit..."

HISAO: "Ah, I see. And that makes her less pretty somehow?"

Hanako gives an embarrassed shake of her head.

HANAKO: "N-no... just... different."

I'll admit it, this has got me intrigued. To hear Hanako talk about someone other than Lilly is a first, and to be complimentary about it too... But as I try to picture this mystery sister, all I can think of is Lilly in a suit. And I can't imagine that not being attractive. Not at all.

HISAO: "Well, one day you'll have to introduce me to her."

HANAKO: "O-okay."

Our brief conversation ends as abruptly as it started, and we both return to our novels.

(Silence)

The passage of time is marked only by the gradual movement of the patch of light cast through the window. Slowly, the noises from the various rehearsals in the building fade out and die as students start to get hungry and tired. Just thinking about that makes my stomach start to turn knots around itself. I think it's time to head back.

HISAO: "Do you think Lilly would be back by now? I think I might head back to my dorm. I'm pretty tired from this week."

And not a word of that is a lie. Moving to a new school as it ramps up for a major event has been taxing, to say the least. I can feel myself nodding off as I read my book.

HANAKO: "O-okay. I... I might stay here a little longer."

Looking at Hanako's book, I can see that she is only a few pages away from completing it. For a moment I consider hanging around until she finishes, but once again my stomach turns, emitting a gurgling sound.

HISAO: "Sure thing. Well I'm going to head off before it gets dark. I'll see you around, okay?"

HANAKO: "O-okay. See you, Hisao."

HISAO: "Later."

HANAKO: "H-Hisao?"

HISAO: "Hmm?"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

HANAKO: "T-thank you. F-for hanging out with me."

I can see how hard it was for her to get that simple sentence out of her mouth. It leaves me hanging for a moment.

So. There is someone in this school who is even lonelier than me. Maybe lonely is a wrong word, I haven't been lacking company for this first week, but I've still managed to feel somewhat alone and detached. Maybe lonely is a wrong word for Hanako too, she has Lilly after all, doesn't she?

I realize I've been standing there far too long without answering, and pull off a flawless, not too exaggerated smile.

HISAO: "You're welcome. Good night, Hanako."

HANAKO: "N-night."

I leave her to finish her book and head back to the dorms and the promise of food...

:eng101:And now to Don’t Panic, our final Act 1 encounter with Kenji. Skip down to the part where he starts talking about building forts, finish the line, then jump back here. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Out of the Loop

HISAO: "I don't know. I'm pretty hungry so I thought I'd get some food first and then check out the attractions. Your class project seemed pretty cool, and I gave a hand with it so I want to see at least that one and chat with Lilly I guess. Speaking of that, don't you have any obligation for the project?"

KENJI: "Are you out of your mind? That blind broad is up to no good; I can feel it in my spleen, man. Her presence is like a dark shadow that's in the way of my great vision. As expected of blind people."

HISAO: "What. Besides, I thought that you were also..."

He holds up his hand to interrupt me.

KENJI: "Only legally. Metaphorically, I can see farther than any man before me has seen."

Kenji looks stoically into the metaphorical distance to emphasize his statement, thrusting his chin forward to look manlier. Actually it's just the corridor wall two meters away but it's all the same.

KENJI: "I can see the future of mankind, and it's a dark one unless the threat of women is stifled. They are everywhere."

He fingers his scarf nervously, faster and faster like he is trying to start a fire, then slowly begins to calm down once the panic attack finishes running its course.

KENJI: "I'm going to have to find some place to hide in, a safe haven. And then knock the lights out of myself so that I don't have to experience this horrible day. I have the perfect thing for that. I must prepare now. Don't go to the festival."

HISAO: "Okay."

KENJI: "Later, dude."

The door slowly closes with a low creak and I don't know how to feel about what Kenji just said.

:eng101: That last bit of text is shared between all versions of this scene, but it doesn’t feel right telling you to skip back to the old update and then back here a few lines later. This whole section reads the same whether you went Hanako or Lilly, but that’s the last bit of shared text. From here on out, everything we read is unique to Hanako’s route. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Air Guitar

After buying a plastic plate of takoyaki from a stall belonging to the class next to ours, I take a seat in the school gardens and watch people pass as I tentatively nibble away at the rather bland-tasting item. I guess I shouldn't complain. It's better than nothing and didn't cost much. As I look out towards the school, watching the people coming and going proves a surprisingly entertaining way of passing the time as I eat.

(Chattering Crowd Effect)

Little children accompanied by parents or grandparents scamper about in the din from event to event; one hand dragging their company and the other bearing an oversized, colorful snack. I can't help but notice the age range among the people here is skewed towards the elderly, something that I'd also noticed when I was walking around town. This must be one of those towns where the only people left are those that lived here their whole lives and ardently refuse to leave, and those wanting to live out the rest of their days in one of the increasingly few tranquil places. I guess that also goes a way to explaining how conservative Yamaku's school culture seems to be.

Not that I mind one bit. I kind of like how calm Yamaku and its surroundings are. The heat, though, is another matter entirely. Sitting in one place for so long has focused my mind on how annoyingly humid it's getting, now that the hottest part of the day is here. I'd better get moving if I— Gah! The sound of the carillon bells takes me completely by surprise as I stand up, a reaction shared by a few of the people strolling around as well. The PA system crackles to life after the tolling bells end. Its age shows as the principal makes a barely intelligible announcement over it, officially opening the festival that's very much in full swing.

It's quite amusing to contrast the pleasant smiles of the older folk against the alternatively pained and bored grimaces of their younger charges. The students, on the other hand, seem to pay it little heed. Nevertheless, as the address finally ends, all are united in polite - if not overly enthusiastic - applause, and then get back to business. Slipping a hand in my pocket to look as relaxed as possible, I casually glance around for something to do.

...It's somewhat difficult to see very far with all the people around. I decide to fall back on a tried and trusted rule: go where everyone else seems to be gathering. Right now, that's the school courtyard and surroundings. Throwing the used plate into a trash can, I make my way towards the school building.

Seeing the number of stalls around the perimeter of the school building surprises me. Quite a few of the classes must have opted to have multiple stalls. In deciding which to visit first, I catch sight of a familiar banner with a blue patterned border and red text. Lilly's stall is as good a place to start as any. I'm curious as to how it's going, after all of the work she and her class have been doing for it.

:eng101:Love the Coke logo on the umbrella above the stall. :eng101:

Stepping up to it, I begin to see why the class took so long to organize everything. Easily twice as wide as many of the other stalls and with equipment for cooking strewn everywhere, it's closer to an outdoor restaurant than a festival event. As a student in front of me takes a bowl of noodles and leaves, I walk up to the counter. The girl behind it seems quite exasperated, and asks me to wait a moment before she disappears underneath the counter. Seizing the moment, I take a quick glance around.

Steam seems to be rising from everywhere, as pots and pans simmer away. The most blind of the students are unpacking ingredients while being helped by someone who is probably the teacher of 3-2. It doesn't take long to notice Lilly among them, talking with the teacher as she quickly counts out the boxes and packets with her fingers. From her expression and the fact that both she and the teacher seem to be in a state of mild confusion, it appears that there's been some problem in coordination. Before I can stare any longer, the girl behind the counter pops up again, only to look back and ask where the spare change box is. Lilly pauses for a moment, before she and the girl switch places at the counter and the teacher quickly walks off somewhere.

LILLY: "Sorry about that, we're having a few problems. What would you like?"

It takes me a second to remember what I'd come here for. My eyes quickly dart to the side to read the menu sitting on the counter.

HISAO: "Oh, uh, I guess some... miso soup?"

LILLY: "Ah, is that Hisao?"

HISAO: "Yep. Looks like you're pretty busy."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

Her face all but confirms it as she drops her waitress facade.

LILLY: "Somewhere along the line, our order got mixed up. We're trying to fix it now, but it looks like we only have half of what we needed."

HISAO: "Wouldn't serving smaller portions cover over the problem?"

LILLY: "It seems like that's what we'll have to do, though I wish we didn't. The fact that a good half of our class is gone doesn't help, either."

I glance behind her to see how many people are actually operating the stall. It couldn't be over about eight.

HISAO: "I take it that's why your teacher left?"

LILLY: "That's right. She's going to try and round up a few more of our classmates to help."

Hearing the sound of footsteps behind me, I stealthily glance backwards to see an elderly couple taking a place in the line. I guess I'd better stop loitering around and chatting.

HISAO: "Here's the money for the soup."

LILLY: "Soup... oh, right, coming right up."

Lilly turns and calls for a bowl of miso soup as I hand over the money for it. Taking the coins in her palm, I can't help but notice how efficiently she counts them out with her long, pale fingers. Eventually satisfied that I've handed over correct change, she puts it into a small metal tray. It isn't long before the soup is made and carefully handed to her, after which she turns and subsequently passes it to me.

HISAO: "Thanks. I'll come back to drop off the bowl."

LILLY: "Thank you, Hisao. Oh, there is one other thing. Have you seen Hanako?"

HISAO: "Hanako... no, not today. Why?"

She gives a small sigh of abject disappointment.

LILLY: "It's okay. I was just wondering what she was doing for the festival. You'll come back when you're done, then?"

HISAO: "Sure. I'll keep an eye out for Hanako, too."

LILLY: "Thank you, Hisao."

I walk off from the stall and find a seat, carefully cradling the steaming wooden bowl in both hands. Compared to the dumplings from before, this is quite nice. A little cool compared to what it probably should be, perhaps, but the flavor is enough to cover for that reasonably well. As I drink, I can't help but feel somewhat guilty for not being as involved in the festival as the others. It can't really be helped, considering I was dropped into the school only a week ago, but it still weighs heavily on my mind. That, and the fact that a few students don't really seem to be enjoying the festival as much as the visitors. Eventually I finish my bowl and leave for the stall, to drop it off. Considering that there seems to be no line at all, I take my time walking up.

It seems the teacher's mission paid off: there are now over a dozen students helping, and much of the unpacking has been done. Despite most of them seeming quite relaxed as they work, Lilly still appears to be somewhat stressed. Lilly doesn’t look impressed at all, and I can't really blame her. On top of her issues with her stall, she still seems to be worried about Hanako. I can't really help her with the former, so I guess the only way I can help is by trying to take her mind off our shy mutual friend. Placing the bowl back on the counter, I call out to Lilly.

HISAO: "Hey, Lilly, don't worry about Hanako. I'll go find her and hang out with her, okay?"

I can see Lilly's relief plainly written across her face.

LILLY: "Thanks Hisao. And if you see anyone from my class, can you tell them to come back here please?"

HISAO: "Will do. Have a good one. And make sure you take a break, okay?"

LILLY: "I will if I can. See you later, Hisao."

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 4, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Disability Corner: Screenreaders

The company I work for has a thing about accessibility. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, accessibility refers to making things, well, accessible to disabled people; it covers everything from physical elements like ramps for wheelchair users to limiting colorblindness-unfriendly color-coding on screens. It is very proud of how much time, effort, and money it’s pouring into its People with Disabilities program, and management just pledged to make its entire web presence meet its digital accessibility standards by the end of the year… Which is a very nice dream, and good on them for trying, at least. That means mandatory accessibility implementation training in the Technology department (where I work), which brought me into contact with screenreaders for the first time.

Screenreaders are programs that read computer screens out loud. You’ve probably seen the term here are there, especially earlier in the thread when I went back and made sure the first few updates included all the text in the update instead of leaving some of it trapped in images. I thought originally they were made for blind folks or those with low vision, but it turns out I’m wrong – screenreaders usually work for Neurodiverse people of various stripes, too. Like, a couple years ago a good friend of mine talked to me about how ADHD made reading large blocks of text impossible for them. This wasn’t something they liked, they mourned their inability to read novels or textbooks, but their brain would do that involuntary attention divergence thing so familiar to ADHDers every couple sentences and the text would dissolve into incoherence after a couple minutes. They do a lot better with spoken information, though, which is where a screenreader would come in; it can move through text bit by bit in ways they could customize to match their reading style, making that stuff possible for them to consume. Had I known this was a thing then, I would have brought it up. Granted, screenreaders don’t work for everybody, and they eventually got prescribed Adderall by their psychiatrist and marveled at how well it fixed the issue but the nature of psychiatric medication is another disability corner for another time.

Anyway, screenreaders come in several varieties with different costs, capabilities, and platforms, some of which date back quite a ways; I found an article on talking terminals from 1982, and even back then the technology and market were both developed enough to support three different brands of machine. Those machines’ modern descendents come in a bunch of flavors, like handheld e-readers that convert epubs into impromptu audiobooks, but from what I can tell most people use screenreading programs. These days, every major operating system comes with screenreaders of… Variable quality, so most people seem to use NVDA or JAWS instead, two programs built for screenreading from the ground up. They seem to be more complex than the built-in options, but also, you know, actually flexible enough to use.

Screenreaders, whatever the specifics, function by reading formatting as much as text. Yeah, they do obviously read text, but they also detect headings, links, and objects and give you ways to interact with them. I’m not just talking about webpages here; they can read Microsoft Office documents of various kinds, too, and even take basic dictation sometimes. But they aren’t perfect. You know how I said they read formatting? They can only read stuff that uses correct formatting; if something communicates information visually, it may as well be blank space. Like, in a Word document, if you want a screenreader to understand where sections and subsections fall, you have to use the Formatting tab options instead of just manually typing things in with underlines and such. If you do, screen readers can jump between sections; if you don’t, they just read those headers as more text. Granted, you should probably be using Formatting headers for long documents anyway because they let you navigate through the documents in the Headings sidebar and make a table of contents, but I’ve worked in tech long enough to realize just how many people use dumb workarounds. Likewise, most kinds of tables may as well be impenetrable: they MIGHT be able to read one column before moving on. Online, they can’t handle a lot of pop ups or visual elements, or the kind of sloppy coding that doesn’t correctly name objects on the assumption that the user won’t care.

But for all that, screenreaders are powerful programs, and accessible design is a lot easier than you might assume. They can read properly formatted PowerPoint, Excel, and Word documents well enough to make them useable for their, well, users, guiding them through formatting options and reading their typing back to them – and these formatting options are not that complex, you can access everything you’ll need on the default ribbon. They read web pages by going into the HTML, so as long as everything’s correctly laid out in there, they can extract more than enough to make the page usable. You know how you can use tab to cycle through selectable objects, like how they cheated at flash games back in the day? That’s an accessibility feature, and it’s something screenreaders excel at. While some kinds of tables just don’t work, they can read stuff like calendars just fine, and as long as objects have names hidden in certain ways in the code, they can read them out like anything else.

Which is why I’m posting this now instead of when we get to Lilly (other than the fact that I don’t think she ever uses any kind of screenreader). See, Something Awful posts don’t actually use HTML; they use a simpler derivate called BBCode specifically designed for forums. It’s much simpler, easier to learn, and interfaces with plaintext a lot better on the user end. I’m very good with BBCode; I can’t do poo poo with HTML. Unfortunately, BBCode is a lot more limited in its scope, and SA’s version is more limited than most. Most importantly for LPs, screenreaders read images by checking for something called alternate text, basically descriptions of images appended to their code; I understand it started out as a way programmers could see what an image was without making it display, but since it usually lays out everything important in the image, screenreaders target it. If they don’t see alt text, they usually skip the image entirely. When I started writing this disability corner, SA didn’t support alt text at all. Screenshots, portraits, the smilies SA’s so famous for, all that’s invisible to a screenreader. It meant this LP is fundamentally screenreader hostile given how I’m formatting dialogue. I took out a ticket on this in the tech support forum to deal with this, but I despaired when I never got a reply.

And then I did! Turns out alt text and other accessibility features have been in the pipeline for a while. And now, smilies have alt text :hellyeah:! That doesn’t remove this LP’s accessibility issues, though. I’ve been hoping I could keep the standard portrait-text dialogue format most screenshot LPs use and just sub in new portraits with alt text when that gets implemented; I have a gigantic macro that runs through every update and ads in portraits and music links when appropriate, and I could just run old updates through it after tweaking it to replace the old portraits. But I have no idea when that’ll get implemented. And beyond that, turns out screenreaders can’t detect text formatting, so the italics I’ve been using to differentiate my commentary and in game text in the updates just won’t cut it (the italics I’ve been using for emphasis aren’t as big a deal to me, but they probably don’t help anything on that end). I have no idea how to replace them, either. Maybe putting them in parentheses or brackets? I’m not going out of my way to implement a ramshackle solution when better ones might be on the way.

Which is where you guys come in. As always, I could use suggestions on boosting accessibility. If anyone here uses screen readers and would like me to do something to make this experience better, please let me know and I’ll get it done. I also invite screenreader users to point out what I got wrong; this is ultimately just a really high level survey of a complicated subject done by somebody with very little experience with it. I’d love to be proven wrong.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Interesting. I'm the opposite; my attention tends to fade when I'm listening to audio, so I prefer text. I'll take a transcript any day over any narration.

any plans to continue Interviews With Monster Girls?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

As an alt text workaround you could put what would be it as a text wrapped in a bunch of subscript tags (they stack) until it's invisibly small. You could do this for both the big images and for the portraits.

You won't get the alt text as a fallback but this should work for screen readers maybe? I personally don't use one so I wouldn't be able to confirm how well it works though...

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 10, 2021

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Which is where you guys come in. As always, I could use suggestions on boosting accessibility. If anyone here uses screen readers and would like me to do something to make this experience better, please let me know and I’ll get it done. I also invite screenreader users to point out what I got wrong; this is ultimately just a really high level survey of a complicated subject done by somebody with very little experience with it. I’d love to be proven wrong.

Funnily enough I was just reading the most recent update and thinking that I should suggest that for the parts where you say "go back to Update 14 (or whatever) and read from here to here before continuing", it would be handy if you could link directly to those updates. It'd save the reader having to go back to the OP and locate the link there.

Maybe not immediately useful for Hanako's route if we're past Act 1 with all its parts that are common to all routes, but going forward?

I don't have any experience with screen readers, but for formatting your commentary in the updates so that it gets called out by them somehow, maybe if you put it in [code] tags? If they'd pick that up? Or maybe if you prefaced (or book-ended) it with a particular emoticon, since they have alt-text now? And if/when images in general get alt-text, you could use your avatar or some other portrait image instead, maybe. I don't know, this is just off the top of my head.

The main time I've been conscious of alt-text was when I was at Uni in the very early 2000s. (:corsair:) They were so out of touch (even for the time) and/or money-grubbing with the on-campus Internet access that it cost 20c AUD per megabyte. I would set my browser to not display images so that it wouldn't cost a fortune. That gave me a healthy appreciation for alt-text. I haven't thought about it much, but vaguely assumed that using alt-text in web design had fallen by the wayside in the decades (oof) since.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

Interesting. I'm the opposite; my attention tends to fade when I'm listening to audio, so I prefer text. I'll take a transcript any day over any narration.

any plans to continue Interviews With Monster Girls?

:same:

Also, I was just thinking about Interviews. I realized my writing for those updates was heavy on smilies and I stopped until I could figure out a slightly more accessible style, but with that solved I might go back to it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Funnily enough I was just reading the most recent update and thinking that I should suggest that for the parts where you say "go back to Update 14 (or whatever) and read from here to here before continuing", it would be handy if you could link directly to those updates. It'd save the reader having to go back to the OP and locate the link there.

Maybe not immediately useful for Hanako's route if we're past Act 1 with all its parts that are common to all routes, but going forward?

I don't have any experience with screen readers, but for formatting your commentary in the updates so that it gets called out by them somehow, maybe if you put it in [code] tags? If they'd pick that up? Or maybe if you prefaced (or book-ended) it with a particular emoticon, since they have alt-text now? And if/when images in general get alt-text, you could use your avatar or some other portrait image instead, maybe. I don't know, this is just off the top of my head.

That first idea is probably a good one, I'll go back through these updates when I have time. The second one is also pretty good... I'd have to think on what to use.

But talking about thinking about things...

Update 40: NC5XB3

(Silence, Crowd Sounds)

I leave Lilly in the stall and head out in search of Hanako. In a way, I feel bad for leaving her with the crowds, but even though she was clearly under pressure, I can't help but think that she is enjoying herself.

The halls are packed with swaying crowds meandering throughout the festival. If there's one thing I know about Hanako, it's that she's not going to be anywhere near this. And with the students showing their friends and family their dorms, I doubt she'll be there either. Following blind intuition, I move against the grain of the crowd. Thankfully, this crowd seems to be slightly less festive than your usual festival crowd; I assume this is out of consideration for the student body.

(Crowd Sounds Stop)

As I force my way through the masses, it doesn't take long for them to thin down into nothingness. This is not surprising, since I am standing before the library. Even the most eager of students don't bother to show anyone this section of the school.

As I enter the library, the noise of the festival fades into a dull background noise, and soon I am in the reading area at the rear of the room. Behind one of the partitioned desks I see the top of a head, with straight, dark hair catching my eye.

HISAO: "Hey, Hanako. I had a feeling I'd find you here..."

The head jumps a little in shock before slowly peeping over the partition.

HISAO: "Hey. Lilly's pretty busy, so she sent me to find you."

HANAKO: "O-oh. Do you want to sit down?"

HISAO: "Actually, I am feeling a little hungry. Would you to like to get something to eat from one of the stands?"

HANAKO: "Um... I... I brought some food so..."

I shouldn't be surprised, but it was worth a try. Expecting her to go outside today was a long shot.

HISAO: "How about we eat in the tea room? I passed by it on the way here, and no one was around. We can make some food there, and it'll be a little more comfortable. What do you say?"

HANAKO: "S-sure. Let's go."

Hanako closes her book and puts it away with deliberate, practiced movements.

HISAO: "Good to go?"

HANAKO: "Y...yeah."

(Silence)

We walk side-by-side from the library to the tea room. As expected, there is barely a soul around. If it weren't for the murmurs through the walls, you wouldn't tell that there was a huge festival going on outside. Hanako carries her bag in both hands and focuses on just the floor ahead of her. Every now and again, she seems to break her pace a little and steps in slightly shorter paces. The first time it happened, I gave it no mind, but I soon notice that she does it on a regular basis.

HISAO: "Are you all right?"

She stops dead in her tracks.

HANAKO: "W-what?"

HISAO: "I dunno... it looked like you were tripping or something..."

A pink blush rises into her cheeks as her gaze returns to the floor.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

HANAKO: "It... it's nothing."

HISAO: "You know, when you say “nothing” like that, people are inspired to ask further questions."

For a second I don't think she is going to answer. Prepared to leave it be, I almost set off walking again, when...

HANAKO: "It's a... a game."

HISAO: "Game?"

HANAKO: "Do you... see the floor here?"

What a bizarre question. The floor looks just like any other floor; covered in those tiles made up from squares of linoleum. Nothing noteworthy.

HISAO: "Well, yes. What about it?"

HANAKO: "Sometimes... when there's no one around... I only step on the darker ones..."

Hanako's voice trails off as her explanation continues, until I can barely hear her voice over the roaring silence of the empty hall.

HISAO: "Darker ones?"

Shuffling her feet, Hanako points the toe of her shoe at a tile that is barely a shade darker than the others.

HANAKO: "L-like these ones."

HISAO: "Oh, right, so these ones are no good?"

I point out a nearby tile.

HANAKO: "Y-yeah. Something... something like that."

HISAO: "Oh, I see. Do you play this game a lot?"

Hanako shakes her head.

HISAO: "Just when the halls are empty?"

She nods.

HISAO: "Well then, no point in stopping, I'm beginning to get really hungry."

She nods again, this time with a little more enthusiasm.

HISAO: "Well then, let's go."

(Silence)

We set off down the hall, and this time I notice that Hanako is paying a little less attention to the floor. I wonder; just how lonely does someone have to be to come up with a game like that? But, before I realize what I'm doing, I find myself trying to aim each step so it lands on the correct tiles.

The noise of the festival is slightly louder inside the tea room, but the breeze coming through the open window makes it worth it. Without thinking, I walk to the windowsill and inhale deeply. I sometimes forget how clean the air is here compared to back home.

HANAKO: "Do... would you like some tea?"

HISAO: "That would be great, thanks."

It occurs to me that this is the first time I've been alone with Hanako without her trying to be somewhere else. Turning from the window, I watch as she makes a simple pot of tea and arranges some sandwiches onto a plate. I've seen her do this before a number of times, but this time she seems slightly different.

It's like she's...

…calm.

Eventually she places the small tray on the table and pours two cups of tea. The fresh scent of brewed tea mingles with the breeze, and for a second I feel like I'm the only one in the world.

HISAO: "I think I know why you like this room now."

HANAKO: "Um... I don't know what you mean."

HISAO: "Well, there are quite a few people out there, but in here it's like another world. You can pretend that there's no one around for miles."

HANAKO: "Y-you're right. It's like the world has forgotten this room. And b-because of that, you can forget about the outside."

That would be appealing in some cases. As far as I can tell, conventional bullying doesn't exist in this school. But then again, I haven't seen a single person talk to Hanako besides Lilly.

If you're ignored by the world, a place where you can forget its existence would hold a special appeal.

HISAO: "That's a good point. It's like this room gives you some kind of complete freedom."

HANAKO: "Y-yeah. Say... do you play chess?"

HISAO: "Chess? I've played it a bit, I guess. I take it you've played before?"

HANAKO: "A little..."

Without saying anything more, Hanako moves to one of the cupboards and digs out a small chess set.

HANAKO: "Do... do you want..."

HISAO: "Sure, why not?"

I cut her off, but she doesn't seem to mind it.

We arrange the pieces, and before long we are sending pawns charging to their inevitable fates. I take my time and intently examine each move and its consequences, nostalgia for the game taking second place to the matters at hand. For a time the game is a lengthy battle of attrition, but I spot an opening and tear a line in her defense. A few moves later, her king is cornered by several of my pieces.

HISAO: "Checkmate. You're not bad at this, are you?"

An honest appraisal. Her technique is pretty good, but several times I was able to exploit her lack of prediction. I pick up a piece and examine it. It looks relatively new, yet worn for its age.

HANAKO: "I... I guess not."

HISAO: "Does Lilly play?"

The absence of Hanako's answer causes me to think about my question.

HANAKO: "A... A bit... T-this is the first time I've played against someone... other than her, or..."

Or...?

She cuts herself off abruptly, leaving the answer hanging in the air. Someone she knew before coming to Yamaku, maybe.

HISAO: "Well then, I'm honored to have played against you."

HANAKO: "Um... can we play again?"

She asks as if she were asking me to cut off my own hands. The spirit of competition's gotten into her?

HISAO: "Sure. Though don't expect me to go easy on you this time..."

Not that I was before, mind. She seems to appreciate the competitive tone.

HANAKO: "S... same here..."

(Silence)

As we are setting up the pieces, there is a noise at the door.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Concord (Lilly’s Theme)

LILLY: "Good afternoon."

HANAKO: "Lilly..."

HISAO: "Oh, hey there Lilly. Are you finished?"

LILLY: "You both are here? Wonderful. At any rate, our teacher managed to round up some extra help, so I was able to leave. Have you been here since you left?"

HISAO: "Pretty much, we've just been playing a bit of chess."

HANAKO: "W-would you like a cup of tea?"

LILLY: "Actually, I think it may be a good idea to go outside for a little while..."

The instant drop in Hanako's face shows her objection to this plan, even though she says nothing. I feel strangely compelled to voice what is plainly in view on her face, but Lilly can't see.

HISAO: "I... I kinda think that we should just stay here..."

LILLY: "Really? It's so crowded here that I was thinking we should leave the school and head for the local teahouse."

HANAKO: "You mean the S-Shanghai?"

LILLY: "Of course; with everyone at the festival it should be practically empty."

HISAO: "Teahouse?"

LILLY: "Oh, that's right, you probably don't know of it. There is a teahouse not far from here, which we go to every so often."

HISAO: "Sounds like a plan. Hanako, what do you think?"

Hanako jumps a little at being forced into the conversation, but at least she seems less distraught than before.

HANAKO: "If... if it's the Shanghai, I think it'll be nice."

LILLY: "Well then, it's settled. Let's be on our way."

Hanako and I rise from the table and our preempted chess game. Before I can do anything, Hanako has poured the pieces into a small container and placed the board away.

HISAO: "Looks like we're ready now. Please, lead on."

(Silence)

Hanako moves to Lilly's side and we venture onto the school's corridors.

(Crowd Sounds (Muted))

The pair leads me through a series of unfamiliar doors, and we emerge on the side of the building opposite of the festival grounds. Insulated by the heavy stone of the building, the noise from the crowd has faded to a murmur.

HISAO: "Strange; I thought that most people would be beginning to leave by now..."

LILLY: "They're probably here to view the fireworks."

HISAO: "Fireworks?"

LILLY: "Yes, apparently the school puts on quite a show. A lot of people come from town just to watch them."

Lilly's decision to leave the school grounds seems to make sense now. Hanako would probably have a hard time with the whole town descending onto the school. Or ascending, as the case may be.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

For the second time since arriving at Yamaku I find myself walking down this road with Lilly. Only now that I can barely hear the incessant noise of the festival do I realize how loud it was. I can hear my ears ringing slightly in the still evening air as they recover from the day's assault on them.

Hanako clings to Lilly, but still manages to guide her along the road. That, and avoiding the occasional gaze from curious pedestrians, appears to completely sap her constitution. She rarely raises her focus from the ground in front of her, nor does she utter a word. Lilly, on the other hand, maintains her prim and proper persona just as she does in school. It's obvious she purposely puts effort into her appearance, rather than hiding it as Hanako does. It's striking how different they are in their way of holding themselves outside of Yamaku's grounds. That said, it's obvious in both their cases that they do visibly change.

Inside Yamaku, everyone is “special,” which negates the “special-ness” of it. But once we venture outside the school gates, we are returned to the status of “outsider” and generic labels. Especially when we are still in school uniform. It's like hanging a sign around your neck challenging people to figure out what is wrong with you. I'm surprised that so many of the students keep it on. Then again, with canes and wheelchairs common among the students, I guess it's not really that much of a giveaway. Or maybe I'm the only one that sees this as a stigma? Maybe you get used to it after a time, like any other school uniform.

The teahouse seems fairly standard from the outside; just an ordinary building with typical signs decorating the entrance. It looks like the type of place you'd walk by without a thought, just another generic café in a sea of thousands. If Hanako hadn't steered Lilly into the entrance I would have continued on down the road without ever knowing that it existed.

(Silence)

Inside the teahouse it takes on a more traditional feel. Everything seems to have been made from the same lump of timber, from the counter and benches to the high-backed booths around the walls. But the most striking feature of the room is the lack of life. I think I can faintly hear something bubbling away in the background, but otherwise the room is silent. Without any direction, we simply wait near the entrance, politely obeying the “Please wait to be seated” sign.

HISAO: "Er, is this place closed or something?"

The sound of a chair falling over echoes throughout the empty room, and a head shoots up from inside a booth.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

YUUKO: "I wasn't asleep and welcome to the Shanghai!"

Yuuko, dressed in a pastel apron and clutching a menu, rushes to greet us. Her misaligned glasses and ruffled hair cast suspicion on her previous statement. But whether she was asleep or not isn't the first question that leaps to my mind.

HISAO: "You work here now? What happened to the library?"

YUUKO: "What? Lilly? Hisao? Welcome to the Shanghai!"

Yuuko, still waking up, jerks into a violent bow, dislodging her glasses in the process.

YUUKO: "Uweh!? My glasses..."

As I pick up her spectacles off the floor, Lilly offers an explanation.

LILLY: "Yuuko works here part-time as well as at the library. It's one of the reasons we like to come here."

Yuuko takes her glasses from my hands, shakily putting them back on.

YUUKO: "Yes... that's right... thanks... Shall I show you to your table? There's no-one else here so you can choose your table and order whatever you like, but there may be a delay as I will have to make it myself..."

LILLY: "It's all right, Yuuko. Just a pot of black tea and a plate of sandwiches will be fine."

YUUKO: "Right! I'll get right onto that!"

Yuuko hurries off to the back of the café, leaving us still standing at the entrance. She pushes the swinging half-doors open before realizing that she hasn't seated us.

YUUKO: "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please, sit wherever you'd like! I'll be right back!"

(Silence)

Following her advice, I lead Lilly to the nearest booth as Hanako follows. As I begin to sit next to Lilly, I realize how appropriate this place is for Hanako. The high-backed booths totally separate you from the rest of the room, and it doesn't look like it gets all that many customers. All of the furnishings, from the cushions on the benches to the condiment holders, look dated but aren't overly worn. I wonder if Lilly deliberately selects places like this to take Hanako? She seems like the type that would go to lengths to cater to Hanako's unique predicament.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

LILLY: "So, Hisao, I didn't know you played chess..."

HISAO: "Well, not very well, but I do know how to play."

LILLY: "I suppose the obvious question would now be... who won?"

Lilly's innocent smile makes me hesitate. I don't really want to look like I'm lording my victory over Hanako.

HANAKO: "H-Hisao did."

HISAO: "Yes... but, uh, not by much..."

drat. Saying that out loud makes me feel like I've done something terrible.

LILLY: "Well done, Hisao. You've accomplished something I've only ever failed at."

HISAO: "Er, thanks. I haven't played in ages, so it felt good to play again."

HANAKO: "Y... yes... It did."

Hanako fidgets with her hair a little and looks away as she replies, but a small smile emerges. It's a little more extreme of a reaction than I expected, but still kind of cute in that Hanako way.

It throws me a little off guard, and only Yuuko's cataclysmic re-entry shocks me back into conversation.

HISAO: "Are you all right there, Yuuko? Do you need a hand?"

YUUKO: "I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine. I have to do this properly, it's my job."

Concentration plays across her face while she stares at the tray in her hands, as if simply looking at its contents will hold them in place.

:eng101:Her sprite vibrates sharply. :eng101:

Apparently her dedication to this job only goes as far as her concentration; once it is broken, she suddenly loses it.

YUUKO: "I'll be in the library tomorrow afternoon if you'd like to try again..."

LILLY: "That sounds perfect, I'll meet you there after classes."

HANAKO: "Um... L-Lilly..."

LILLY: "Oh dear, that's right. Tomorrow is Monday, how could I have forgotten?"

I'm starting to feel a little left out of the loop here. Then again that's to be expected; I have been here for barely a week, so it's impossible to know everyone's schedule.

LILLY: "Well, perhaps we could come to some other arrangement. Yuuko, will you be in the library later in the week?"

YUUKO: "Hmm, maybe, but this is already overdue..."

HANAKO: "A-and there are some... things I n-need..."

LILLY: "This might be a problem..."

Lilly ponders for a second before discovering the answer.

LILLY: "I wonder, might we be able to enlist the help of another, if need be...?"

HISAO: "Um, to do what? You lost me quite some time ago..."

Being volunteered for something without even having the slightest idea what is going on isn't really my thing. And here I thought I had finally escaped the clutches of the Student Council and their repeated attempts to recruit me.

LILLY: "Oh, of course. The other day I was helping Yuuko sort the new Braille books in the library. But Hanako and I usually go shopping on Monday afternoons; it's quieter on that day than on weekends. Last week we couldn't go because I was busy with the festival. I managed to slip away later in the week, but Hanako couldn't make it."

HISAO: "Well, since I can't read Braille, I'm assuming you'd like me to go shopping with Hanako?"

LILLY: "Correct. You were a great help to me the other day."

HISAO: "I think I can handle that. Hanako, what do you think?"

HANAKO: "I-if you wouldn't mind..."

HISAO: "Of course not. I'm still not familiar with all the stores in the area, so it sounds like a good idea."

HANAKO: "O-okay."

LILLY: "Now that we have that arranged, shall we have some tea?"

It's now that I realize our tea has been sitting idly by all this time, getting no hotter.

YUUKO: "It's my fault! Let me pour that for you..."

Yuuko reaches out with shaking hands, but I intercept her; she looks in no state to be handling hot liquids.

HISAO: "It's all right, I've got it. Since you've already made the tea and sandwiches, you've fulfilled your waitress duties, right?"

YUUKO: "I... I guess."

Yuuko relaxes a little, but still watches eagerly as I share out the assortment.

(Sudden Silence, Popping and Crackling Effect)

:eng101: The screen starts flashing briefly and irregularly. It took me 25 screenshots just to catch the flash and action, you will better be grateful :argh:. :eng101:

As I am about to bite into the sandwich, a low, loud rumble can be heard, along with a flash of light from outside.

LILLY: "Ah, I take it the show has started."

:eng101: Different fireworks burst and fade in time with the booming we’ve been hearing. :eng101:

Only now looking outside, I realize that dusk has come and gone, leaving us in the peak of twilight. Sparking tracers arc upwards ready to explode in the floral shapes of fireworks.

YUUKO: "Let's go watch! Oh... sorry Lilly..."

LILLY: "Please, don't miss the show on my account. From what I've heard, this isn't a bad location to watch them from."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Lullaby of Open Eyes

:eng101: The screen lights up a different color every time a firework goes off. :eng101:

With the exception of Lilly, we rush to the window of the small teahouse to watch the show. The strobe of colored lights plays across Hanako and Yuuko's smiling faces, and for a second I forget to look out the window. In this totally new world, there are a few things that don't change.

I think that's why the school makes such a fuss over this festival. It's a chance to show the similarities between everyone.

(Fireworks Stop)

The show is over all too quickly; fireworks are expensive, even for the most well-funded schools. Before we return to our tea and sandwiches, Hanako turns to me.

HANAKO: "Um, t-thanks for today. ...and tomorrow."

HISAO: "That's okay; I don't think that I could have faced those crowds either. On days like this it's more relaxing to spend some time away from everyone, don't you think?"

HANAKO: "Y-yeah."

HISAO: "Anyway, we've been delaying this tea for far too long now, let's get back."

HANAKO: "S-sure."

(Silence)

We return to the booth and our light meal.

LILLY: "That sounded impressive. Bigger than last year's at least."

YUUKO: "Yeah it was great! I've never seem them put on such a show. It gets better every year!"

LILLY: "I'm afraid, however, that during that time, the tea has gone cold."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

YUUKO: "Oh no! Let me make some more! This is my fault!"

HISAO: "Calm down, Yuuko, it's nobody's fault."

I take a sip from my cup, just to prove the point.

HISAO: "This tea isn't too bad cool, anyway. It's like an iced tea."

YUUKO: "Really?"

HISAO: "Yes, really. If you add a bit of sugar it's kinda nice."

YUUKO: "Are you sure?"

HISAO: "I'm positive. Now why don't you sit down and we'll finish this together?"

YUUKO: "O-okay."

Yuuko doesn't seem convinced, but sits down regardless. She carefully measures out about five teaspoons of sugar and adds them to her tea.

HISAO: "Er, I said a bit of sugar..."

YUUKO: "I know but I like my tea sweet anyway."

Curiously I peer into her cup. As expected, hardly any of the sugar dissolves in the cold liquid. She stirs it twice before upturning the cup and drinking the contents, sugar and all, in a single mouthful.

YUUKO: "You're right! That's not bad at all!"

HISAO: "Er, good..."

I look back to Lilly and Hanako, both of whom have finished their meal as I witnessed Yuuko's personality in action. Not wanting to hold anyone up, I use her tactic and finish the remainder of my tea in a single swill.

HISAO: "Well then, it seems we're all finished."

LILLY: "Should we head back now or do we want seconds?"

Yuuko's expression shows that this is quite clearly not a good idea.

HISAO: "I think that it would be best if we got back soon. We do have to get back before curfew, after all."

LILLY: "Oh, that is a good point. I'll meet you tomorrow, Yuuko."

YUUKO: "I'll be looking forward to it, Lilly. Goodbye, everyone."

(Silence)

We make our way out of the small teahouse and into the dark of the night. Lilly and Hanako once again take point, but under the cover of darkness Hanako seems slightly less stressed than she did on the trip here. We move against the occasional group of people emptying the school grounds, but Hanako seems to lead us along a few minor roads, avoiding the bulk of the crowd.

(Cicadas)

Outside the dorms, the school seems strangely quiet when compared to the noise of the day.

HISAO: "Well then, thank you both for today. I think I learned a lot."

LILLY: "You're most welcome, but I'm afraid that I really must be going. Today's been a long day."

That's right; Lilly spent all of today on her feet, and I can imagine that walking outside of the school would be pretty tiring for her. I feel a pang of guilt as I remember that I was probably the only one in the school that got up around ten this morning.

HISAO: "Sure thing. Well, I'll see you both tomorrow. Good night."

LILLY: "Good night, Hisao."

HANAKO: "N... night."

The girls return to their dorm, and I to mine. Actually, now that I consider it, today tired me out as well.

END OF ACT 1

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Falconier111 posted:

Update 40: NC5XB3

"Well then, I'm honored to have played against you."

"Um... can we play again?"

She asks as if she were asking me to cut off my own hands. The spirit of competition's gotten into her?

"Sure. Though don't expect me to go easy on you this time..."

This image seems to be misplaced? Usually the images are just before the corresponding text...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can appreciate Yuuko’s tea order. My coffee order has about as much sugar. :synthy:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Falconier111 posted:

Disability Corner: Screenreaders

[...]Like, a couple years ago a good friend of mine talked to me about how ADHD made reading large blocks of text impossible for them. This wasn’t something they liked, they mourned their inability to read novels or textbooks, but their brain would do that involuntary attention divergence thing so familiar to ADHDers every couple sentences and the text would dissolve into incoherence after a couple minutes. They do a lot better with spoken information, though, which is where a screenreader would come in; it can move through text bit by bit in ways they could customize to match their reading style, making that stuff possible for them to consume.

Interesting. I'm ADHD myself, and I'm the exact opposite -- I much prefer reading to listening. Verbal lectures get tuned out after a minute or two, even if the subject matter is something I care about, but I have no problem reading entire chapters if it's even slightly interesting.

Anyway, for differentiating between dialogue and commentary, my suggestion is to prefix commentary with (note) or (aside) or something else distinctive.

So this:

quote:

Her sprite vibrates sharply.

becomes this:

quote:

(note) Her sprite vibrates sharply.

Dunno if that's actually workable, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Is that the only time we see Yuuko smile?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"I wasn't asleep and welcome to the Shanghai!" is one of my favourite lines in Katawa Shoujo. Poor Yuuko.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hanako's Act 1 ending is also, iirc, the only one that changed between the demo and the full release.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

U.T. Raptor posted:

Hanako's Act 1 ending is also, iirc, the only one that changed between the demo and the full release.

Yes, I distinctly recall her ending in the demo being just you holing up in that little room playing chess. Perhaps the writing team realized that it was basically just the Manly Picnic ending but with a more appealing character and no rooftop accidents.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is that the only time we see Yuuko smile?

I don’t think so. I mean, she’s always giving that harried smile, but I think there’s a couple times she shows joy. Just… Not often.

On the accessibility front, I think I’m going to just use a smilie to mark of commentary sections somebody buy :misha: for me to use tia, but figuring out what do do with portraits is much harder. Out of curiosity, how many people here use Dark Mode?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Isn't there a limit of 10 smilies per post? Did they relax it?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Falconier111 posted:

I don’t think so. I mean, she’s always giving that harried smile, but I think there’s a couple times she shows joy. Just… Not often.

On the accessibility front, I think I’m going to just use a smilie to mark of commentary sections somebody buy :misha: for me to use tia, but figuring out what do do with portraits is much harder. Out of curiosity, how many people here use Dark Mode?

I'm using darkmode, so far everything looks good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

Isn't there a limit of 10 smilies per post? Did they relax it?

I think it's 100. It's definitely not 10, unless things changed since I did my Angband LP.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think it's 100. It's definitely not 10, unless things changed since I did my Angband LP.

Well, it's fairly easy to test if it's 10

01:mario:
03:mario::mario:
06:mario::mario::mario:
10:mario::mario::mario::mario:
15:mario::mario::mario::mario::mario:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've been using dark mode. So far it seems fine. Some smilies look a bit weird, or have a rogue white pixel somewhere, but that's about all I've noticed.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Okay :siren: voting time :siren:. I really like the traditional portrait-dialogue format but until they can implement alt text for images, it’s fundamentally hostile to screenreaders. So I’m considering a few solutions below. Which of these do you think works better?

The original format (I’ll keep looking for other solutions)

quote:

I feel a lot more at ease. Both of them seem so friendly, so I feel like an idiot for being so apprehensive earlier. Especially about Shizune, who I assumed would be all business. Well, she still seems like that. Just less so, I guess.

"..."

"Huh? Oh, right, we haven't even touched the assignment! We should start work now, or Shicchan will get mad."

"The assignment is also kind of long, so we should start now if we want to finish it before the end of class."

"Wahaha~! That too!"

"..."

Shizune glares at the two of us impatiently. I don't need to know sign language to understand that.

"Okay, okay, I get the message."

"..."

"After class, we can take a walk around the grounds together. It's a nice day today! Okay~?"

The assignment is actually very challenging to get through, combining aspects of being both difficult and unnecessarily long.

Still, we finish it a few minutes earlier than anyone else in the class, despite our late start. Shizune and Misha are really capable. They're quite different, though. The class rep is as calm and professional as she looks, while Misha is a lot more playful and girlish. Not to mention a little more easily distracted. To be honest, the two of them did most of the work. I feel guilty about that.

The clock tower bells ring, signaling the end of the period. Time for lunch.

The scriptwriting solution

quote:

I feel a lot more at ease. Both of them seem so friendly, so I feel like an idiot for being so apprehensive earlier. Especially about Shizune, who I assumed would be all business. Well, she still seems like that. Just less so, I guess.

SHIZUNE: "..."

MISHA: "Huh? Oh, right, we haven't even touched the assignment! We should start work now, or Shicchan will get mad."

HISAO: "The assignment is also kind of long, so we should start now if we want to finish it before the end of class."

MISHA: "Wahaha~! That too!"

Shizune glares at the two of us impatiently. I don't need to know sign language to understand that.

HISAO: "Okay, okay, I get the message."

MISHA: "After class, we can take a walk around the grounds together. It's a nice day today! Okay~?"

The assignment is actually very challenging to get through, combining aspects of being both difficult and unnecessarily long.

Still, we finish it a few minutes earlier than anyone else in the class, despite our late start. Shizune and Misha are really capable. They're quite different, though. The class rep is as calm and professional as she looks, while Misha is a lot more playful and girlish. Not to mention a little more easily distracted. To be honest, the two of them did most of the work. I feel guilty about that.

The hidden text roundabout

quote:

MISHA: "Huh? Oh, right, we haven't even touched the assignment! We should start work now, or Shicchan will get mad."

HISAO: "The assignment is also kind of long, so we should start now if we want to finish it before the end of class."

MISHA: “Wahaha~! That too!"

HISAO: "Okay, okay, I get the message."

MISHA: “After class, we can take a walk around the grounds together. It's a nice day today! Okay~?"

Dismissed solutions: superscript/subscript only stack 3 times and look terrible, and using smilies makes it impossible to take lines seriously.

This vote isn’t binding; it’s more to take the temperature of the thread and see what it thinks. I’m also still open to better ideas.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I prefer any with the portraits and they make it easier and more enjoyable for me to read an update. But I don't have any software reading the text or anything so I don't know if that makes it harder.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Portraits with spoiler text looks good to me. Automated readers would ignore the spoilers markup right?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
How about this?

Falconier111 posted:

HISAO: "Sure thing. Well, I'll see you both tomorrow. Good night."

LILLY: "Good night, Hisao."

HANAKO: "N... night."

The girls return to their dorm, and I to mine. Actually, now that I consider it, today tired me out as well.

END OF ACT 1

No screenreader here, any of the options are fine by me.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Storm One posted:

How about this?

If this is screenreader friendly, I vote for this one.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Storm One posted:

How about this?

No screenreader here, any of the options are fine by me.

That's... drat, I have to try that out.

Update 41: Tea Leaves

:eng101: No Act 1 analysis this time. Let’s move on to the main event, and by that I mean intro cinematic. :eng101:

Jitter - Katawa Shoujo OST/Cinematic

:eng101: I strongly recommend you at least listen to this.

Anyway, we start with a series of blurred images…

… An object…

… A man…

… A family…

… And Hanako, alone in a room.

She stands in a crowd that teems and rushes and blurs around her, leaving her isolated in a sea of people.

Then someone stands out, the first solid person she sees.

She turns to look.

It’s Hisao.

She smiles with relief.

They approach each other, and the scene changes.

Hanako’s reading in the library when someone stands in her light.

It’s Hisao.

She hides behind her book.

He sighs…

… Sits next to her…

… And we begin Act 2.
:eng101:

My alarm blares into my ears, only to be swiftly silenced by my fist.

My body switches into auto-mode, carrying my subconscious self out of bed and into my uniform. As always, my bottles of pills sit on my desk patiently, waiting for me to take them and pick out my daily dosage of medicine; seventeen pills a day. Before I know it, I'm opening the door to class 3-3, glad to see that I'm not the only one who seems to be a little hung-over from festival week. Every face in the classroom looks gaunt. With the festival now over, it's as if everyone's life dreams have been achieved. With nothing left to live for, the students have relied on instincts alone to guide them to class. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I slowly make my way to my seat, and it's only then that I realize why the room is so peaceful. The seats beside mine are blissfully empty; the world's loudest interpreter for the deaf has yet to arrive.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Hokabi

Just as I am about to sit down, the door flies open, revealing a resplendent Misha; drills bobbing from the dramatic entrance and arms stretched towards the sky.

MISHA: "Ya-hooo~! It's all over!"

It would appear that not everyone is affected by the post-festival depression. The rest of the class glare at her, obviously thinking the same thing I am. Misha, still frozen in the doorway with her arms still in the air, nervously looks around. It's obvious that she senses the foul mood, but can't work out exactly what to do. Suddenly, she jerks forward.

MISHA: "Hey!"

As she stumbles into the classroom, she reveals Shizune, arm still extended from where she shoved Misha.

HISAO: "Thanks for the entertainment, but shouldn't you two take your seats?"

Still slightly embarrassed, Misha takes a few seconds to realize she has to translate.

MISHA: "Oh! Yeah! Shicchan says she's not happy with you ditching us last week. We were really busy!"

HISAO: "Is that so? What about the stuff I already did for you two?"

MISHA: "She says that only counts for council members. Since you declined, she doesn’t owe you anything."

Misha leans closer, and whispers conspiratorially into my ear.

MISHA: "Actually, I think she's just a little sore that you didn’t spend the day with her. She's really thankful for your work last week though."

:eng101: Eh, maybe next time. :eng101:

Sensing that she is being talked about, Shizune lightly raps her fingers on her desk until Misha turns around to face her. I can't understand any of the fast-paced signing that's going on, but from Shizune's slightly embarrassed expression, and Misha's poorly contained laughter, I can guess.

(Silence)

While this exchange is happening, the door opens once again, but this time at a much more reasonable pace. Hanako quietly enters the room, and pulls the door closed behind her. Peering out from under her hair, she quickly scans the classroom. Our eyes meet, and she suddenly stiffens. She closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and then walks over to my desk.

HANAKO: "G... good morning Hisao."

HISAO: "Morning Hanako. You're a little late, aren't you?"

HANAKO: "I... was talking to Lilly. A-about today."

HISAO: "Ah, so you've got her list then? We can leave straight after classes in that case."

HISAO: "I'm looking forward to it."

Hanako briefly flashes her embarrassed smile at me then hurries off to her seat.

Katawa Shoujo OST - School Days

During classes, it becomes apparent that it's not only the students that are a little despondent after the festival. Mutou simply gives us a list of exercises from the textbook and then sits behind his desk. I totally forget about the brief lunch period for a moment, such is the banality of the day. It's mind-numbing, and everyone seems surprised when the bells signal the end of the lessons. As I am packing up my bags, Shizune and Misha flank and entrap me.

MISHA: "Say, Hicchan, it's still not too late to join up. There's a lot of post-festival paperwork for us to complete..."

HISAO: "Er, sorry Misha, I've... got plans..."

As if sensing the cue, Hanako appears behind me, holding a small bag, and trying to avoid eye contact with the outside world. Misha's eyes open wide, then she bursts into laughter.

MISHA: "BWAHAHA! You move fast, don't you Hicchan~? We won't disturb your date any further! Bwahahaha!"

Behind the roaring Misha, I see Shizune taking far too little interest in the scene. I might be taking this the wrong way, but I think she's deliberately ignoring me. I feel a gentle tug on my shirt, and turn to see Hanako's eyes fixed firmly on the floor.

HANAKO: "L... let's..."

HISAO: "Got ya. Shizune, Misha, I'll see you later. And I'm still not interested in the council."

MISHA: "Spoilsport."

(Silence)

Misha and Shizune retreat into the hallway, happily signing to each other.

HISAO: "Got all your stuff? Let's head off."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Air Guitar

Floods of students pour out of the school gates and onto the road into town. It's a little weird. It's almost a scene from any other high school, but the illusion fades because of the occasional wheelchair or missing limb. One thing I do notice is that nobody is alone.

And, as Hanako and I pass through the gates, I notice that she closes the distance between us. Not enough to be considered “close”, but she certainly isn't at her usual just-a-little-far position. I guess we're not familiar enough for her to get as close as she does with Lilly. However, even though she has moved a little closer to me physically, mentally she seems to have traveled a mile. Her hands clutched around the leather straps of her bag to the point of whitening her knuckles, her head down and her mouth pursed closed. She almost looks like she's being walked to the Principal's office for the first time. I try to stifle a giggle at the thought, but it is futile.

HANAKO: "W-what's the matter...?"

I guess there's no point in hiding it...

HISAO: "Sorry. For a second there it looked like you were getting in trouble."

HANAKO: "W-w-what do you mean?"

HISAO: "I think you need to relax a little. We're not going too far, and it's only students around, right?"

HANAKO: "R-right."

It bothers me a little to see Hanako so worked up.

HISAO: "And you do this every week, don't you?"

HANAKO: "Y-yes. With Lilly."

Of course. “With Lilly.” I wonder, has she ever left the school without her? It doesn't seem like much at first glance, but Hanako's dependence on Lilly is absurdly heavy. If she can't even handle leaving the school without her, how would she have managed to survive if the two had never met? Would she have found someone else to latch on to? And what drew her to Lilly? Was it her lack of eyesight, or was Lilly just kind enough to lend a hand? I wonder if anyone would have fit the bill.

HISAO: "Well, I'm here. Besides, we're not going far. It'll be over before you know it."

Hanako's knuckles slowly regain their color as she tries to hide a small smile, but the effort of that seems to prevent further conversation. We travel, side by side, down the winding road towards the town. The crowd of students thins as we continue along the sidewalk. Faster students rush ahead, and the less mobile ones fall behind, rarefying the crowd into nothingness. By the time we reach the convenience store we are practically alone. Using me as a shield between herself and the attendant, Hanako moves through the narrow aisles, adding an assortment of items to her basket. Bread, milk, tea... thyme? What kind of convenience store sells herbs?

Then again, nothing about this town seems normal, which may not be such a bad thing in retrospect. Everything is so different and uncomfortable; dwelling on such matters isn't really an option. When I think about that, it reminds me of Hanako. No matter how much you try, you can't escape her scars; they still interrupt my train of thought when I see them. As much as I don't want to admit it to myself, I think I'm forcing myself to try to ignore them. Not that I am scar-free myself. The jagged line down my sternum will never completely fade away. I just have the luxury of being able to hide it easily. But, in a way, both of our scars remind me that we're all in this place for a reason.

Hanako throws one last item into her basket then sheepishly holds it out to me, along with a few bank notes.

HANAKO: "C-c-could you p-please..."

It takes me a second to understand what she's trying to say.

HISAO: "Oh, you want me to pay for this?"

She nods, but doesn't look up. I guess this task falls to Lilly on the usual occasions.

HISAO: "Sure. Lemme just grab a couple of things..."

Hastily I grab a few essential items for myself and head for the counter with Hanako in close tow. The attendant gives me an indifferent nod as he scans in the items. I suppose just ignoring us is one way to deal with the anomalies of Yamaku; they must get a lot of students here, being the closest store to the school.

The staff must all have their own way of dealing with us. Or maybe they don't; maybe it's only me who thinks twice about my unique schoolmates. Our transaction complete, Hanako and I head back out onto the street.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

The road is pretty much abandoned now. The students that were heading out have already left, and nobody has started returning just yet. And, with only the school ahead on the road, there doesn't seem to be anyone else around. The emptiness certainly reflects on Hanako; her arms by her sides each carrying a bag, her head no longer bowed, and back to the upright position.

It's almost as if she were enjoying this walk.

HISAO: "So, why all these weird things? Mixed Spice? Why would you need that in school?"

HANAKO: "I... sometimes... like to m-make food."

HISAO: "Well, yeah, so do I but... spices? That's a little more advanced, don't you think?"

HANAKO: "N-not really."

HISAO: "Well, I think it's cool. You'll have to teach me one day."

She doesn't seem all that sure, but pushing the point doesn't seem all that wise. At the very least, she seems a great deal happier than she did on the walk down here. That alone makes me a little happier. Outside the girls' dorm, Hanako and I sort out the grocery bags with our respective purchases. In comparison, my things look positively plain.

HISAO: "I tell you, you're putting me to shame here..."

HANAKO: "N-no I'm not... I just..."

HISAO: "I'm only joking. I have a stack of homework that I skipped last week, so I must leave now. Will you be all right getting that to your room?"

HANAKO: "Y-yeah."

HISAO: "Sure? Okay then. I'll see you tomorrow."

(Silence)

HANAKO: "B-bye."

We part ways, and I return to my room. Piles of papers sit upon my desk, begging to be completed. With the entire ruckus of the last week, I've barely had any time to catch up. I tried to keep up with my studies while I was in the hospital, but some of this stuff I've never seen before, even back in my old school. Totally unprepared, I pop the top on a can of drink, and get to work.

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

The days are really starting to heat up. This morning, I awoke covered in sweat. By the time the student body starts leaving their dorms for breakfast and morning duties, the sun has taken full effect; oddly, that puts me in high spirits. It's not even eight, yet I feel that this day is going to be one of those pleasant, tranquil, warm ones. If I weren't at a school that considered every absence from class as a sign of a life-threatening situation, I'd consider skipping the whole day and just relaxing in the school gardens. Yes, today will be a genuinely lazy day.

For a second, I stop in mid-stretch, and consider the nurse's warning about exercise. Maybe I should have kept up those morning jogs. Running with someone like Emi might have been a little testing, but if I worked at my own pace...

Ah, who am I kidding? I couldn't stick to something like that without some kind of motivation. It's not like I sit around all day. The walk to and from the convenience store counts as exercise, right? Especially the walk back up the hill... Yeah, it's no big deal. Compared to months lying in a hospital bed I'm getting plenty exercise.

:eng101: (lol) :eng101:

It seems that I'm not alone in my appreciation of the day. Nearly every member of the class is glancing through the window and into the tantalizing sky. Even the steadfast Shizune seems to lack her usual vigor for schoolwork. Misha, as brazen as ever, has even unbuttoned the top buttons of her shirt and is fanning herself with a note book. I must have been staring, as she's now sticking her tongue out at me. However, she shows no signs of halting her efforts, nor is she trying to hide the fact.

The lunch bells seem to catch everyone by surprise, and the class empties at a much slower pace than usual. The heat seems to be draining the need to rush from everyone. Well, almost everyone.

(Silence)

HANAKO: "H... Hisao?"

HISAO: "Hey there Hanako, what can I do for you today?"

Hanako already has a lunch bag in hand. I don't have to be a detective to work out where this is going.

HANAKO: "Um... would you like to have lunch with us again? I... I brought enough for everyone..."

HISAO: "Awesome. You don't have to be so stiff about it though."

HANAKO: "Ah... right."

HISAO: "I take it we're going to the tea room?"

HANAKO: "P... please. Lilly said she'll meet us in there, so we should... should..."

HISAO: "Should?"

HANAKO: "...should go ahead together..."

HISAO: "Sounds like a plan. This heat has made me pretty hungry."

Hanako breathes a sigh of relief, and I gather my things together.

As usual, the aura of the tea room is refreshing, feeling isolated from the rest of the world. Then again, the usual din of the school seems to be a bit subdued; most likely from laziness promoted by heat exhaustion. Hanako slowly spreads her food on the table, intently focusing on every little movement, as if she's trying to keep her mind off other thoughts. It's not much, but I can tell from her demeanor that she has prepared everything with utmost care.

HISAO: "I guess Lilly isn't here yet. Should we start without her?"

HANAKO: "S-she'll be here soon..."

Hanako struggles with the lid of the container of rice.

HISAO: "Here, let me help with that..."

I take the container from Hanako's hands, and try to force open the lid. Try as I might, it seems wedged shut.

HISAO: "Let me guess, did you put this in while the rice was still hot?"

HANAKO: "Y-yes. I was in a rush..."

I put the container on the table between us.

HISAO: "I thought so. It looks like this is wedged shut. We'll need some hot water to get it open. But that could be a pain in here. We'd get water everywhere."

LILLY: "Well, in that case, how about I contribute to today's meal?"

At the door, Lilly smiles while holding up a bag stocked with various buns and bread rolls. I can't help but do the same.

LILLY: "Since you two had a change of plans because of me, I thought I would bring a little something."

HISAO: "Thanks, Lilly. Here, let me get that for you..."

With a little guidance, Lilly's bread assortment joins Hanako's rice-less platter. I hastily make some tea to complete the picture.

HISAO: "Well, I'm looking forward to this."

As I take a bite, I notice Hanako trying her hardest to not look like she is looking at me. It's nothing special, but then again I can't really complain. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking for myself.

HISAO: "Not bad, I guess this is made with the stuff you bought yesterday?"

HANAKO: "Y-yes."

Hanako's eyes shout at me, begging for some kind of feedback.

HISAO: "Well it was clearly worth it. Thanks, Hanako."

HANAKO: "I... I wanted to show you this... after yesterday..."

HISAO: "It's okay. I was just a little surprised at the stuff you were buying."

LILLY: "Hanako's always liked to experiment when it comes to food. I think it's good... most... of the time."

While Lilly's smile doesn't waver, the slight change in her tone tells me that things have not gone so well in the past. And it's not like Hanako has many people to sample her cooking...

(Silence

Hang on... was Lilly waiting for me to go first? She didn't start eating until after I said it was all right... Her cheeky grin tells me that this was a deliberate action on her part. I'll have to try and work out how to get one over her in the future, to make up for this.

HISAO: "Well, it's good, and that's all that counts, right?"

HANAKO: "R-right."

Lilly, satisfied at not being the first to sample Hanako's creation, begins to consume the food in front of her. I find myself staring as I watch her chopsticks gently touch the plate, their tips delicately poking and tracing to quickly ascertain the positions of the food as she dexterously picks it up. One might think she were a child playing with her food if not for the situation, though she does it with such care and thoughtlessness that it's obvious this is simply how she eats this kind of meal. Not wanting to miss out, I start filling up myself. Hanako takes a different approach, waiting until Lilly and I have our hands clear before quickly snatching up her share. Before long the containers are empty, save for the still-shut rice container.

LILLY: "Thank you Hanako, that was filling."

HANAKO: "N-no... thank you for the bread..."

HISAO: "Yes, it would have been a disaster if not for that."

LILLY: "You're both welcome. But now, I must be getting back. It's far too easy to be late after eating here."

HISAO: "Yeah, I see what you mean. I think we'll just clean up here and then head off."

LILLY: "Well then, good day."

Lilly leaves, her cane tapping away down the quiet hallway. Hanako and I quickly pack our things and stay seated, waiting for the bell.

Together, we stare out the window and into the endless azure sky. If it weren't for the pealing of the bells, I would have sworn that time had stopped. The urge to skip class rises in my gut. I shoot a glance at Hanako, who shows no signs of moving either.

HANAKO: "Not... just yet..."

The interval between the warning bells and the end of lunch bells passes in the blink of an eye.

HISAO: "We really should go... people will freak out and start a search party if we skip..."

Hanako sighs.

HANAKO: "You're right."

Slowly, she rises to her feet, and I follow suit. Silently, we make our way up the old stairs to the third floor and then to our classroom. At the door, I take point and open the door ahead of Hanako, bowing my head down in apology in advance.

"I'm sorry we're late, teacher.”

(Silence)

I am greeted not by stern words, nor by an angered instruction to take my seat, but simply by the silence created by fifteen or so students trying not to laugh. Mutou, ever tardy, has yet to arrive. However, the fact that Hanako and I have arrived together is blatantly obvious.

MISHA: "Pff... pffwa..."

Make that about fourteen students trying, and one student failing.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

MISHA: "Pft-bwahahaha! The lovers return~! WAHAHAHA~!"

HISAO: "Yeah, thanks. You can calm down now."

I step through the door, and realize that Hanako is firmly pressed against my back, hiding herself from the class. With my steps coming closer to my desk, she eventually breaks from me and stiffly walks to her own. Her efforts to mentally block everyone's presence from her mind are written fairly clearly on her face. Quickly checking the door for any signs of the teacher's arrival, I make a trip to Hanako's desk and whisper in her ear.

HISAO: "Don't worry about Misha, she's always like this. I enjoyed myself today. Don't sweat it, okay?"

Hanako nods her head behind her folded arms, but still doesn't show her face. I yearn to stay and console her more, but Mutou picks this exact moment to enter the class, halfway through his lecture, as if he started it in the hallway.

MUTOU: "...which, of course, is directly proportional to the charge but inversely proportionally to the square of the distance..."

He's so engrossed in his speech that he doesn't even notice me sneaking back into my seat from Hanako's desk. While Mutou's spiel rambles on, Misha leans over to me.

MISHA: "The teacher may not have noticed your tardiness, but I did."

That much is obvious from the show you just put on.

MISHA: "I have been instructed to let you off the hook for today, but only on one condition."

HISAO: "Oh? And what would that be?"

MISHA: "You have to help us this afternoon~!"

I crane my neck to look over Misha's shoulder. Shizune is conveniently not making eye contact with me.

HISAO: "Fine. Just for today. I've already told you I'm not joining the council, remember?"

MISHA: "Of course! Doing so could be considered... um, considered..."

She looks down at her notebook, obviously looking for her place in her script.

MISHA: "...under duress and hence would be against regulations."

HISAO: "How very strange of you to be considerate of the regulations now."

MISHA: "Things should be done by the book! It's just that the book hasn't been written for every situation, so there are times when it can be ignored."

HISAO: "And yet, you two wonder why no one else wants to be in the Student Council..."

(Silence)

After poking her tongue out at me, Misha returns to her workbook, and we battle our way through the latter half of the school day.

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

Before I can even stand up, Misha and Shizune have placed their hands on both my shoulders.

HISAO: "Hey, I said I'd help out, drat..."

MISHA: "This is just insurance, Hisao, insurance~!"

Hanako timidly tries to leave the room by circling around us and I suddenly realize that this may be my one chance to escape.

HISAO: "Oh hey Hanako. What's up?"

MISHA: "Hey, what makes you think you've got time to chat?"

HISAO: "Oh relax, this won't take long... sorry Hanako, you were saying?"

HANAKO: "I... I was going to go to the library, and... and I thought..."

Hanako's thumbs dance around each other and her eyes flit around the room, looking everywhere but at us.

MISHA: "Sorry Hanako, but Hisao has to come with us. He's got work to do."

MISHA: "Oh! But you can help too if you'd like."

HANAKO: "Um..."

MISHA: "So, how about it, Hisao?"

>"What do you think, Hanako?"
>"I've done enough work for the council already."

:eng101: Another false choice, we decided this in the vote last week. Also, let me know how this new format works so I can decide whether to implement it retroactively. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 10, 2021

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
I really like this version of Hisao so far. His general agency-giving abilities are much higher, he’s checking with Hanako’s sense of comfort…even in this last choice, we see a clear choice that involves allowing her to make her own decisions..

I dunno, for some reason, I feel like I’m being red-herringed? I really shouldn’t feel that-it all really is much more positive on his end-but it seems great to me.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

I really like this version of Hisao so far. His general agency-giving abilities are much higher, he’s checking with Hanako’s sense of comfort…even in this last choice, we see a clear choice that involves allowing her to make her own decisions..

I dunno, for some reason, I feel like I’m being red-herringed? I really shouldn’t feel that-it all really is much more positive on his end-but it seems great to me.

The only thing I'm noticing - and maybe this is confirmation bias - is that he completes sentences for her sometimes, which is a little rude.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Misha owns.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I feel guilty for saying it, but Shizune is cute when she's angry.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

I agree with you, but the "What do you think, Hanako?" option gives me a bad feeling.

Like, I hope it's something like "Hanako, I'm going to help them out for a little bit. I can meet up with you later, or do you want to stay and pitch in?"
Let her decide whether she wants to push herself, without any pressure.

But I'm worried it'll be something like "Hanako, do you want me to ditch these two so we can hang out?"
Which is all too plausible since the other dialogue option is "ditch them without asking Hanako."
In that case, you're asking her to antagonize Miss Angry Glare and Miss I Have No Filter Or Boundaries, right then and there, and it just feels like a bad idea.

(All that said, the first option sounds terrible so I'd still go with "What do you think." Hopefully this isn't one of those cases where both options are bad.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Falconier111 posted:

[/i]Jitter - Katawa Shoujo OST/Cinematic[i]

I strongly recommend you at least listen to this.

This intro is so good, to the point it's the only one I actually remember without watching it first.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Couple housecleaning things cause I’ve been checked outta this thread for a hot minute.

Screen reader stuff: I do use them, and if I can find the time can write up a post about them from a user’s perspective. Also, I wondered why the smileys were working on iOS, so thanks for putting in that report, it’s dope.

Adding names to who’s speaking is a big improvement. TBH I was skimming this before primarily for the disability corner stuff because the game itself didn’t particularly interest me. I was just grateful for an educational spot that felt welcoming from the perspective of someone with a disability, so I didn’t bother to complain about inaccessible stuff.

Also, permission granted to use my posts in this thread, if you take it offsite, just change it to initials.

Anyway, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up proper, and if I can find some time I’ll put something together for screen readers.

The thing that made me remember I needed to check back in here was a book:

There Plant Eyes is a stunning book by a blind performance artist that dissects the inherent biases the sighted carry around regarding blind people, starting with the ancient Greeks and working up through The Enlightenment, as well as into the early 20th century. But more importantly, the back half of the book is pretty much a manual—without condescension—for sighted people when it comes to the experiences we as blind folks deal with on the daily. It’s an excellent, informative read, and if you care about understanding blind people at all, it’s a must. It just came out, and I binged it in an evening. So much of what she says in the book I’ve been saying on repeat my whole life, so I’m grateful to her for having written the book, because now I can just throw it at receptive people and save myself some air. I think anyone at all interested in the blind experience, the disabled experience, or poo poo, anyone reading this thread at all would quite enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

>"What do you think, Hanako?"
>"I've done enough work for the council already."

My first time through I went with "What do you think, Hanako?", because this kind of seemed like a choice between asking Hanako what she wanted to do and deciding things for her.

I was annoyed by this choice; I think the wording of it is a bit too vague. If it had been clearer what they'd result in Hisao saying - what the intention behind them was - I would have gone with the other option.

Vague dialogue options in games is a bit of a bugbear for me. I absolutely can't stand the Mass Effect approach where the dialogue options are presented as short phrases at best, and you don't know what they'll result in your character actually saying. I am still Angry At Video Games that Bethesda went with that approach in Fallout 4.

Anyway... this choice (at least initially) seeming to be about giving more agency to Hanako or not seemed notable to me after the stuff earlier with helping Hanako with her groceries. If you picked up on how much she was relying on Hisao to... well. Imagine this is an MMO or whatever, and social interaction is incoming damage. She was heavily relying on Hisao to tank for her.

If you suffer from social anxiety disorder it's very easy to fall into that kind of role; relying on people you're close to to do things involving social interaction on your behalf. A mild example would be going to a restaurant with a group of friends (... maybe in pre-plague days), and when you're asked by staff for booking details, or "table for how many people?", or whatever - if they're looking at you for an answer, you might turn and look at a friend, to subtly deflect attention onto them.

It can become second nature - and obviously can become more of a problem when it comes to more significant things. There are some things involving social interaction you have to do yourself, and they'll become even more difficult if you've been relying on others to do it for you.

Of course having someone literally speak for you all the time can also make it feel like you don't have much control over your own life - so a choice that appeared to offer the chance to give Hanako more agency after that earlier scene seemed significant.

Falconier111 posted:

Another false choice, we decided this in the vote last week. Also, let me know how this new format works so I can decide whether to implement it retroactively.

This approach that Storm One suggested with the portrait, name of the character and then the line seems pretty good to me.