Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I like KF a lot. Got some boxes but haven't been able to play due to the pandemic. I hope it picks back up. 🤞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It’s dying in my area too. Sucks cause I was pretty into it. I haven’t really liked the newest set either. They keep adding new rules so games keep getting longer and it’s tedious to track the tide condition. Lots of if the new cards trigger off of both players so it’s easy to make a mistake.

Did one sealed event for the Dark Tidings release but my new job is keeping me from playing in person.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There's an idle Keyforge thread here. One of my friends is a huge fan and buys a box every set so we play every few months. They stopped having tournaments in his area before the pandemic. Recently he printed two official coop game modes that were fun for a bit but terrible with more people if your decks aren't great.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dying card game thread

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I think keyforge is best as a secondary card game for regular card game players to just have a few games with now and then, or the "kitchen table" crowd (ie me)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

I think keyforge is best as a secondary card game for regular card game players to just have a few games with now and then, or the "kitchen table" crowd (ie me)

Yeah this was basically my feeling about it. While I do know they supposedly were trying to build up some tourney scene about maintaining and keeping decks, it seemed most decks had some gimmick that once you found it (which usually wasn't too hard) there wasn't much depth. Not to mention the fact that a lot of times you could literally just be playing against your deck, only better.

Also I got to try the new Vampire Rivals lcg. And honestly, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It's sorely lacking in cardpool, and I'm not entirely enamored of the starting decks (assuming my friend put them together right, the Ventrue is woefully bad) but there's a lot to like. I still think the original game is maybe better, but some of that could be the fact that I'm looking at it from the perspective of a fully formed game. I definitely think for a competitive multiplayer card game it's very solid.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

alansmithee posted:

Also I got to try the new Vampire Rivals lcg.

Ooh, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

Ooh, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

Yeah there seems to not be that much promotion. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it as well, and has a brief description going into the mechanics a bit more. Basically you win by either a) killing all your rivals's vamps b) removing all your rival's prestige c) fulfilling your objective or d) having the most prestige/crowns if someone dies who wasn't someone's rival, or if it wasn't the rival who struck the killing blow (not sure which from memory, this condition I wasn't too familiar with and was getting the rules secondhand). You have two decks, one being your vamps and the other being your other cards (actions, reactions, retainers, etc). Each turn you get two actions, which can be playing a card or one of a few generic things (draw a card, put a new vamp into play, etc). There's also a neutral city deck where a card is pulled every turn that can have some effect. And there's another mechanic where during your turn you decide which if any of your vamps stay in your haven (where they're mostly protected from direct attack), or are in the streets. You have to be in the streets to generally attack others (both the neutrals and other player's vamps), but it also opens you to attack.

If you have a group willing to try I'd recommend it, the buy in gets you a full set of cards. I'm not sure how good it is for 1v1 play yet, but I think most of the mechanics would work fine-it doesn't seem as overtly political and influence peddling as VtES was, but it also doesn't seem like it would fall apart entirely 1v1 either.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I tried Rivals 1v1 Toreador vs Brujah and just barely lost because I ignored them to focus my own goals while he kept killing my weakest vamps. One guy was constantly in torpor just to get killed again the moment he popped out.

I think the expansion is coming out soon and will add Thinbloods and Tremere. I had the preorder in my basket at checkout then decided not to buy it because my group bounced off the base game hard when we tried 4 player. They aren't really card game players and analysis paralysis hit hard with the asymmetric factions. The rules aren't too complicated but there's enough of them that it wasn't easy to teach.

I'm very curious how balanced Ventrue and Malkavian are since the others are easier to see and score points with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Finally got caught up in Marvel Champions to Drax, with Agent Venom on the way.

Gamora is so loving good. Took her for a run with a friend against Kang. He played Groot and had a pretty tough go of it, mostly because his gimmick is just kind of bad, although I helped build him for protection so he was doing pretty good just defending every turn. Unfortunately Kang's obligation that eats the top 8 cards of your deck hit 4 of his upgrades and really held him back. Meanwhile I loving cruised through Kang as Gamora, just super smooth. What a great hero.

Looking forward to playing around with Drax next.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Groot honestly sucks. He’s a really at defending, but that’s kinda all he can do. So if something starts to break through his defence and you lose his growth counters, it hampers anything he can do until you build him back up again.

Drax is way better because he’s okay at defending, but his kit also makes it so he’s really fantastic about going on the offensive. He can draw cards like crazy, thwart a small bit. Throw CITT in his deck and you’re guaranteed to be able to attack once a turn. Dr.Strange, Capt.America, and a whole bunch of other heroes play defence way better than Groot, and that’s where Groot is supposed to shine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Groot is a lot of fun in Justice, and he has great versatility. If you’re worried about growth counters, just have someone else or an ally block for you.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It feels like they hosed up making the reaction forced. Villains hit way to hard and too often to hope that you'll be able to always have those counters available and since the "best" thing you can consistently do with them is ready it's just not very fun in my opinion.

I didn't try to talk my friend out of playing Groot and he had some great turns being able to tank for both of us, but the problem was in Kang's second phase where he had to play solo and by the time I got to him and was able to help him kill his version of Kang there's was a stack of threat tokens that we just couldn't overcome in phase 3 because he didn't hit his +1THW enhancement.

We could have won though, the loss came from a single round where I got hit with the "discard all your events" encounter card and it just wrecked my entire hand of 6 cards. I went from being able to output ~10 damage, remove 5 threat, and stun to just having to thwart for two and face tank an attack that dropped me down to 2 life.

I still love the Kang scenario though. It's freaking great and thematic.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 7, 2021

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I enjoyed Groot the one time I really played him. He definitely isn't strong as a lot of other heroes, but hey he isn't Hulk. He almost feels like his kit is designed for more of a support role which is why I guess they put him with protection originally?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I found Groot to be really good even on expert if you focus on cards that do something when you defend and take no damage. You do need to count cards before going to alter ego to make sure you have good odds of drawing the event that lets the villain attack you to remove threat from the main scheme, otherwise threat can be a problem, but very few heroes can approach removing 3 threat, preventing 3 damage, and dealing 1 damage all at once as a basic power. Add in up to two retaliate and whatever your defense cards are doing and most villains can't threaten you while you grind them down.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

Groot is a lot of fun in Justice, and he has great versatility. If you’re worried about growth counters, just have someone else or an ally block for you.

I mean “just have someone block for you” assumes that’s always an option. Which is nice if it is, but isn’t always the case.

I’m not saying Groot is unplayable. He’s perfectly playable, but boring and other heroes offer up a lot more flexibility and fun. Great versatility? I’d have to disagree. He relies way too much on the growth counters to be able to use his deck effectively. Can you play Groot and have fun? Yeah, sure. For me though, I have fun with almost any other hero more than him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have lost every singly 2-player game I've had with Star Lord lol. Might be because he is absolutely not suited to go against Rhino or something but jesus, thought I'd just try him out against the first villain of the game and I've had crushing losses with him teaming with Venom, Spider-Man, She-Hulk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you use his power every turn, you’re going to lose because you’ve changed the difficulty of the game to Heroic. If you use it sparingly it can combine with some fun guardian effects to put the hurt down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

If you use his power every turn, you’re going to lose because you’ve changed the difficulty of the game to Heroic. If you use it sparingly it can combine with some fun guardian effects to put the hurt down.

I didn't use it at all after the first game but still lost, though I think it's because the starter deck of Leadership isn't really that great for him? The gimmicks included don't seem to benefit his innate abilities unless it's just meant to set up meatshields for when encounter cards spill out. I think the initial starter deck for him is just not working for me.

I also had incredibly bad luck when Spidey's nemesis came out and then Vulture started adding an additional encounter card while both characters were low health, so it ended on a big downward swing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t know any starter deck that you could win with consistently, they designed to release new cards and be at the level where people experiment with deck building.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone happen to have these LOTR nightmare decks they would consider selling?

Across the Ettenmoors
The Treachery of Rhudaur
The Dread Realm

These are all I need to finish my collection.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

I didn't use it at all after the first game but still lost, though I think it's because the starter deck of Leadership isn't really that great for him? The gimmicks included don't seem to benefit his innate abilities unless it's just meant to set up meatshields for when encounter cards spill out. I think the initial starter deck for him is just not working for me.

I also had incredibly bad luck when Spidey's nemesis came out and then Vulture started adding an additional encounter card while both characters were low health, so it ended on a big downward swing.

There’s your problem. Star-Lord absolutely wants to use his ability, especially if you haven’t done any deck building. You can’t just use it every turn, but you should be popping it like, every other turn. Using his ability to slap down an element gun and then going to town is worth the extra card.

Don’t forget that with Knowhere + his passive ability all allies you play will net you a card.

That being said. I don’t like Star-Lord. He’s powerful, he’s insanely powerful. His drawback however, means that you’re constantly fighting a push/pull battle and it just doesn’t feel satisfying to me. I built a rocket leadership deck and I like it way more than playing Star Lord.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Took Drax(Protection) out for a test drive. First was against Norman Osborn and that was a bit of a mistake as the constant flipping made it hard to work around as I was either doing too little damage to flip his card or too much(wasted). The frequent indirect damage was awful for Drax as well since it made me flip him.

After banging my head against that wall, I went him up against Rhino+Doomsday Chair. I hadn't thrown in DC in a while and god what a pain in the rear end that set is. Rhino gave me a similar problem in that Drax doesn't really any poke damage so I really needed to have an ally around when Rhino gained tough or I was just throwing away damage with him. Also since I was using DC pretty much any time that came up in phase 1 I was dead since Drax had no hope of clearing the threat with any reasonable frequency.

Drax wasn't as good as I hoped. Once he's setup with his ready card and his knife and a full stack of his tokens he's a beast but getting to that point and still being able to do other stuff is tough and relies on really hitting the right cards at the right time. I could almost divide the games I did well in based solely on the games that I drew his knife early. I think in future runs I'm going to run him Aggression.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s super fun in aggression. I’ve run him where he doesn’t have a card to cost more than three, with zero cost attacks to make sure he never gets stunned. First aid is essential. But I always play in duo so who knows.
Battle fury is super helpful, anything ever to attack multiple times around. At the end, you feel like you’re ripping and tearing as you take six damage off the boss multiple times in a row.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I picked up Ant-Man and got my butt kicked using the default deck against Green Gobbo. Gonna try messing with it later but the mechanics of him are pretty fun. I think I’m going to grab the Red Skull box next.

Also in LotR news I found Conflict at the Carrock at the LGS and bought it along with The Hills of Emyn Muil. I am trying really hard and failing at not buying LotR stuff in anticipation of a 2nd edition and possible repackaging like how they are doing Arkham now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Ant-man aggression with Longshot justice vs mutagen formula and had a wonderful time. Things like surprise attack are amazing, and he has so many upgrades hall of heroes is a good fit.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Played Ant-man aggression with Longshot justice vs mutagen formula and had a wonderful time. Things like surprise attack are amazing, and he has so many upgrades hall of heroes is a good fit.

What does Longshot mean here? Do you have a link to the deck?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

McGurk posted:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bhUfOTNV1M3oz7LYkJIviqDzMfIUPKZD

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

McGurk posted:

Golden Bee likes playing with a lot of homebrew.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, there’s spoilers being listed for Mad Titan Shadow Box on Hall of Heroes website and the cards updated today were really good.

1 cost upgrade where when you flip to hero form you can stand yourself back up. Super useful for when you start your turn in alter ego but still need to heal. I’d really hope that gets a reprint.

Next up Blade finally hits the game. Only 1 cost, but have to toss a punch resource to attack with him.

Really good stuff being shown so far.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

So, there’s spoilers being listed for Mad Titan Shadow Box on Hall of Heroes website and the cards updated today were really good.

1 cost upgrade where when you flip to hero form you can stand yourself back up. Super useful for when you start your turn in alter ego but still need to heal. I’d really hope that gets a reprint.

Next up Blade finally hits the game. Only 1 cost, but have to toss a punch resource to attack with him.

Really good stuff being shown so far.

Ready to Rumble is definitely going in a lot of decks. That it can just sit on the board until you need it is really nice too.

1 cost allies are always helpful too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, blade is a solid blocker for Captain America or anyone with team training. He can take more hits than stinger, and do more work with teamwork.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've had Iron Man for ages but never bothered to play him til now, won a game with him and Black Panther where I focused on building the tableau up first and by endgame it was just like 8 or 9 support/upgrades constantly being used and Aggression Iron Man was pretty good. (Panther was Leadership which worked nicely with the Wonder-Man being heavy support and other Avengers blocking things often.) I've played the game like a doofus for a while so doing a game where the whole point of these 2 characters was to just build helped me shake off bad habits.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Just took another run at GG Mutagen with default Ant-Man, went a lot better. I was able to get some allies on the board and keep them healthy for the most part. He can really deal some damage when he’s in Giant form. Team-Building Exercise was really useful in getting everything out and ripping.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah, blade is a solid blocker for Captain America or anyone with team training. He can take more hits than stinger, and do more work with teamwork.

Cap doesn’t really get any special benefits though? The punch resource has to be from hand. So cap can’t use his resource generator to pay for it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He can play for a zero as a living legend.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Got some two player games in last night, using the delay to the next release to work through a lot of the content I haven't given enough tries to yet. Tried Ironman justice, Black Panther leadership, and Hulk aggression. First game was Black Panther leadership with Hulk protection against Taskmaster. Leadership is my least played aspect and honestly will probably stay that way. I'm not a big fan of ally swarm decks, next time I try I will look for a Voltron deck. Ironman was with Cap protection against Ultron and it did not go well, didn't help the Cap player forgot about being able to ready him the entire game. I feel like I need to play Ironman more than once a year to give a fair opinion of him. Then we got 2 games against the Collector with Hulk aggression and Cap protection. I actually tried out an deck I made for this one and actually rather enjoyed it. It definitely needs some tweaking but I felt like there were several turns I was able to easily do 8+ damage and have multiple card plays. Also Bug is just a fantastic ally for Hulk.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

He can play for a zero as a living legend.

Not a huge enough reason to throw him in a cap deck IMO as living legend triggers for first ally played, which means if someone plays an ally before you, too bad.

The 1 cost benefit is really just good for any avenger deck in general as it means avengers tower or Team Building throws him out for free.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hall of Heroes has full spoilers for the new box.

Both heroes look great and there’s some incredibly interesting cards in the mix (leadership resource where you get resources based on how many allies you have in play!)

Great news is that from a glance, surge spam is done. One of the scenarios has some cards that use it, but otherwise the rest seem to use it sparingly. Overall I’m really excited for this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alright, we got housed by Ultron twice in a row. First game I think we played Iron Man, Capt. Marvel, and Spider-Man; this week we did Capt. America, Dr. Strange, and Iron Man. What's the trick to managing all of the drones?