Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Make me an IK and "Webster's Defines" posts get a sixer no questions asked. It would be the only moderation I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're being a dense prick for no reason.
No, I'm calling you out for being a dense prick. Doubling down on your failure to comprehend a single sentence post and throwing a tantrum because of it is not a good look, nor is the "quote the post a second time and pretend it's a clever rejoinder" act. Maybe try actually reading posts before you go spouting off with asinine attempts at being glib all the loving time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Breathe, hoss. It's okay.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Yawgmoth posted:

Yes, those are both posts in the thread. Now explain to the class how "I would like this game to be in a better system and also not have a sex criminal in the credits" is a comparison. For reference:

e: nvm, I got you confused with another user I could joke with like that.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 9, 2021

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

For what it's worth, what's worth playing in urban fantasy out there?
It's obviously All of Their Strengths.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I hear All Their Strengths is unironically really good, but Urban Shadows 2e is probably the regular serious answer.

If "our alliance with the werewolves is broken because the vampires double crossed us, so now I have to do a deal with a demon-worshipper" is a phrase you're excited to unironically say, Urban Shadows is that game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So how many games do people participate in at a time? Is it kosher to do more than one or is that just trying to spin too many plates at a time?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So how many games do people participate in at a time? Is it kosher to do more than one or is that just trying to spin too many plates at a time?

As a player, or a GM?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Everyone has their own limit. Right now I'm in one weekly game and that's because I feel iffy about taking more time away from my various other obligations. But back in the day (when I had way fewer obligations) I would be running 2-3 a week.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I do about 2 a week which is about as much as I can handle without breaking other parts of my schedule (family obligations, second job, that sort of thing).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I play online via VTT + voice.

I can comfortably do two a week for an indefinite amount of time. Three games a week is fine for a while, but I usually feel relieved when one of them wraps up, so I try to only sign up for a third game if it's, say, a short game in a system that I really want to try out. I've done four before, usually when it was a rare opportunity to play that system and I was certain one or more of the other games were going to die soon, and I start to feel tired and antsy after a couple of weeks.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was alternating between one and two games at a time for quite a while. Currently just leaving one of the two I'm in, and the other is a limited run game. When it stops I'm not signing on for anything new. Burnt out on RPGs and nothing has helped it so far.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I used to run a weekly campaign while also doing short adventures to explore new systems. It was a bit stressful. Really up to you. Playing isn't as intense as running.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm in like 4-5 games a week, way too much but I can't say no when friends ask me to join.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can really only GM one game that requires meaningful prep at a time, which is most of them. I usually can play in 1-2 while GMing my own, but beyond that I feel like I have too many commitments on that front.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Imagined posted:

As a player, or a GM?

Both I guess, but I'm just playing for now.

I've just joined a local game (online for now), and in the Meetup thing (which is what I'm using), there's a second one that has just been created. Both are slated to be long-term running things, one with a rather fixed schedule and another with a bit more unpredictable one. I've joined the former and am considering joining the latter. I'm just afraid it may be too much to take on, especially as these would be my first ever games. But you all seem perfectly fine running or playing a bunch of things at the time so maybe it's possible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For most of the past year I've been playing in 3-4 campaigns at once, though they weren't always regular weekly games.

Oddly enough, right at this moment I'm technically in zero active games (two are on hiatus and one just came to its thrilling, emotional conclusion, but we're starting another campaign in the same world next week).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Both I guess, but I'm just playing for now.

I've just joined a local game (online for now), and in the Meetup thing (which is what I'm using), there's a second one that has just been created. Both are slated to be long-term running things, one with a rather fixed schedule and another with a bit more unpredictable one. I've joined the former and am considering joining the latter. I'm just afraid it may be too much to take on, especially as these would be my first ever games. But you all seem perfectly fine running or playing a bunch of things at the time so maybe it's possible.

If you're only playing in both or only GMing one, that seems fine. If you've never GMed before, I wouldn't try doing two at the same time to start with. It's just a matter of staying cognizant of your schedule and personal commitments, like anything else you plan out ahead of time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can barely handle running one game every other week without stressing myself out. At our peak before COVID, my group ran two games, one every other week. We're all adults with jobs and kids and obligations so a weekly game is out of the question. We're going to be starting 5e (bleh) again in a month or so and by then it'll be time for me to try and ease back in with running some holiday adventures because my group loves the stupid poo poo I come up with for reasons unknown.

Serf
May 5, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've been running 2 games a week for a couple of years now. I generally try to go with one prep-heavy game and one lightweight game. Like right now I'm running Sentinels of the Multiverse for my prep-heavy game, which can take about an hour or so to stat up enemies and build environments and challenges. I also run Copperhead County, which I can prep for in like 15 minutes if I need to, 30 if I take my time, or I can just make poo poo up off the cuff when I'm really pressed. My next two planned campaigns are Panic at the Dojo and Lancer, which are prep-heavy but I've been spending months getting ready for them so I think it won't be that hard to juggle them both.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm in two games a week right now. That's about all I can do.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

saw the news about the avatar ttrpg kickstarter and immediately backed without even looking lol. i love avatar. i cant wait to play as a navi and fight the humans off pandora

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I ran 3 games a week each for a different group for most of 2020, because it helped me get through the pandemic. Pretty burned out now and can only handle one and barely that. I don't think that was related to having 3 going at once though. I'm just burned out in general.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

pog boyfriend posted:

saw the news about the avatar ttrpg kickstarter and immediately backed without even looking lol. i love avatar. i cant wait to play as a navi and fight the humans off pandora

You joke, but when my friend told me there was an Avatar RPG, I had to ask "Which Avatar?" because I was afraid he meant the bad one and he was one of those people. Fortunately, from everything that I have read (which is nothing), we will be repelling those humans back onto their spaceships where they certainly won't just bombard us from the air.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for all the advice. I'll take the plunge and join the second game too then.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm in two weekly games right now, with occasional one offs in between. I'd be running a third, but the only timeslots the players can make it overlap with my current games, so I have to wait for one of them to wrap before moving forward.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pog boyfriend posted:

Eywa ngahu!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm in two live games on the weekend, one PbP (with another possibly coming up), and running a PbP. Play by post makes it easier to be in multiple games obviously but for live games I'd never do more then two at the same time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Magnetic North posted:

You joke, but when my friend told me there was an Avatar RPG, I had to ask "Which Avatar?" because I was afraid he meant the bad one and he was one of those people. Fortunately, from everything that I have read (which is nothing), we will be repelling those humans back onto their spaceships where they certainly won't just bombard us from the air.

Something about combining the two.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Anyone have experience with VoiceMod? I would like to speak in scary robot voices for my Lancer campaign and maybe make shotgun noises and whatnot.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Anyone have experience with VoiceMod? I would like to speak in scary robot voices for my Lancer campaign and maybe make shotgun noises and whatnot.

I did literally exactly that when I started my Lancer campaign. I paid for whatever lifetime subscription thing and it's been pretty easy to use. I used cave echoes with additional sound effects off for my nhp voices and cop radio for general radio chatter. (names are something like that. I'm paraphrasing)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kaiju15 posted:

I did literally exactly that when I started my Lancer campaign. I paid for whatever lifetime subscription thing and it's been pretty easy to use. I used cave echoes with additional sound effects off for my nhp voices and cop radio for general radio chatter. (names are something like that. I'm paraphrasing)
Yeah it's not crazy expensive, and that all sounds like a lot of fun. So that's what I needed to hear, thanks :)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Thousand Year Old Vampire Companion Volume has started arriving.

Please read the description before this spoiler, which explains why some people are not happy: it's the (very pretty) game book but all the content is blanked out. Some photos here.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 10, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Thousand Year Old Vampire Companion Volume has started arriving.

Please read the description before this spoiler, which explains why some people are not happy: it's the (very pretty) game book but all the content is blanked out. Some photos here.

your link is slightly broken (by literally two characters), i've fixed it

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arivia posted:

your link is slightly broken (by literally two characters), i've fixed it
Thank you for fixing my terrible phone copying and pasting so that people can experience the subject properly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Thank you for fixing my terrible phone copying and pasting so that people can experience the subject properly.

yeah no worries honestly i think it would be a cool purchase if i was really into thousand year vampire, like yeah he says it's NOT a writing journal but it would be rad to use it as one

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Please read the description before this spoiler, which explains why some people are not happy

Tim Hutchings posted:

Surprises are good, usually.  This one possibly less so.
<...>
This book, to be absolutely clear, is not useful.
<...>
My worthwhile might be your bitter disappointment. In fact, it most likely is.
Huh.
I'm confused, is it a sort of an artistic statement like the performance that the author of the Pictures for Sad Children made by burning his books?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's art, but I'm pretty sure it would have been better to hype it up, release a full description as the punchline, and then open up orders, rather than putting it up for preorder with a "don't buy this" description that would just convince gamers there was actually content.

Less impactful, sure, but also less likely to trick the gamer brain.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, much as I love 1000YOV there's no way that that was going to go over well with people. $45 + shipping for something which, with some work, could be as useful as a $5 writing pad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

It's exactly what you ordered, right down to the fact he said you're not going to like it and that it's utterly useless to you.

If anything, this just reinforces that I will absolutely trust his word. If he says "this is the next big game, get hype", I'll be fuckin there, cash in hand, ready to roll. He was painfully honest, and after that it's on the proud owners of T҉h҉o҉u҉s҉a҉n҉d҉ Y҉e҉a҉r҉ O҉l҉d҉ V҉a҉m҉p҉i҉r҉e҉ to come to terms with the fact they didn't listen to him.

quote:

he also claimed it was not a journal etc

quote:

It's not a writing journal, character sheet packet, or adjunct for TYOV play.
which is semantic at best

quote:

the pictures I've seen make it utterly loving useless as a journal or character sheet as well.
reddit :allears: