Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maybe Empire City: 1931 or Dead Angle?

If it’s not Empire City I’d be surprised. Pretty much hits all the marks. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

Game Dev Tycoon did a thing where they put up a torrent of their game with one special feature: Your game business would always close down because people kept pirating your games. Then people complained about it online about people pirating their games in the game that they themselves pirated. I believe they added that feature in the retail version later.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Pierzak posted:

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

I'm pretty sure there are at least a half dozen indie games that have done something in this vein by this point lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Play posted:

Nope, I checked a youtube playthrough and in that game they do pull brains out the nose but it's a lot different looking. Also that game has cartoons, I don't remember cartoons in this one.

Amusing that their are two games where you pull brains out the nose to make mummies though lol

thats a classic mummy fact. they did that poo poo irl..... so i'm told

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a DOS-based point-and-click game with a brother-and-sister team that solves small-town mysteries where you have to accumulate clues and then put it all together to form a conclusion at the end

does anyone remember what this is?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

a DOS-based point-and-click game with a brother-and-sister team that solves small-town mysteries where you have to accumulate clues and then put it all together to form a conclusion at the end

Perhaps something from the Super Solvers series?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hal Insandenza posted:

Perhaps something from the Super Solvers series?

not quite. This was set in a stereotypical small American town with a "realistic" art style. I think the brother and sister might have been redheads?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Eagle Eye Mysteries?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Eye_Mysteries

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that's it! thank you!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Shocked I didn't find this on my own, thanks. I ran it for a time on my BBS but it didn't catch on at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

packetmantis posted:

Journeyman Project?

Nah, too involved, has a story, has FMVs, not an educational game from what I can tell

FFT posted:

was there any FMV involved, or any animated characters at all?

I don't think there was FMV. Their might have been an animated character that like helps you figure out what to do but I'm honestly not sure. The main difficulty here is that I am only remembering one part of it with any clarity, the part where you take the brain out. I think it had a mix of VERY early 3D graphics (so, like, basically just still 3D images) as well as some more cartoony stuff.

There MAY have even been a labyrinth part based on Theseus and the Minotaur where you try to go through the labyrinth without being caught by the minotaur. It is also possible I am melding a bunch of different games together because all of this happened when I was really young.

I thought I found it for a second in Egypt Kids, but that turned out to be a miss.

b_d posted:

thats a classic mummy fact. they did that poo poo irl..... so i'm told

I know that, but still there are many things regarding ancient Egypt you could put in a game that don't involve brains. Clearly they felt, correctly, that it would help make an impression on children.

Oh man I used to play this one, or at least a version of it, so much. You had different types of missiles, and missiles that could shoot down other missiles, and ground defense, and you could send your metal guys to the opponent island to cause havoc. Really good game.

e: Although actually looks sorta different from the one I'm thinking of.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

quote:

Oh man I used to play this one, or at least a version of it, so much. You had different types of missiles, and missiles that could shoot down other missiles, and ground defense, and you could send your metal guys to the opponent island to cause havoc. Really good game.

e: Although actually looks sorta different from the one I'm thinking of.
It sounds to me like you're remembering Metal Marines.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

It sounds to me like you're remembering Metal Marines.

drat straight I am! did that come preloaded on windows computers back in the day or something? No clue how it could've gotten on the family computer otherwise

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Play posted:

Nah, too involved, has a story, has FMVs, not an educational game from what I can tell

I don't think there was FMV. Their might have been an animated character that like helps you figure out what to do but I'm honestly not sure. The main difficulty here is that I am only remembering one part of it with any clarity, the part where you take the brain out. I think it had a mix of VERY early 3D graphics (so, like, basically just still 3D images) as well as some more cartoony stuff.

There MAY have even been a labyrinth part based on Theseus and the Minotaur where you try to go through the labyrinth without being caught by the minotaur. It is also possible I am melding a bunch of different games together because all of this happened when I was really young.

I thought I found it for a second in Egypt Kids, but that turned out to be a miss.

I know that, but still there are many things regarding ancient Egypt you could put in a game that don't involve brains. Clearly they felt, correctly, that it would help make an impression on children.

No idea if it had brain pulling but was it maybe Ripleys Believe it or Not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley%27s_Believe_It_or_Not!:_The_Riddle_of_Master_Lu

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It doesn't, but I definitely played this long, long ago lol

(I've been going through old-rear end GameFAQs guides for the games that seem like they fit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWEJTod_hM

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Custard Undies posted:

No idea if it had brain pulling but was it maybe Ripleys Believe it or Not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley%27s_Believe_It_or_Not!:_The_Riddle_of_Master_Lu

Nah good idea though since it goes to different places. I also thought for a minute it might've been Carmen Sandiego but it's not cartoony so doesn't fit that aesthetic.

Educational games are hard I think because they are shidded out constantly to little fanfare or notice unless you happened to have it for some reason, google does absolutely nothing for this question no matter how I phrase it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm wondering if maybe a piece of what you're remembering is Secrets of the Pyramids. It was just an incredibly weird edutainment game, I vividly remember playing the demo on one of those KidSoft CDs and the main character could fall into a pit and be attacked by bats leaving a bleeding corpse and the words "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!" loving creepypasta poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

CYBEReris posted:

I'm wondering if maybe a piece of what you're remembering is Secrets of the Pyramids. It was just an incredibly weird edutainment game, I vividly remember playing the demo on one of those KidSoft CDs and the main character could fall into a pit and be attacked by bats leaving a bleeding corpse and the words "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!" loving creepypasta poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f_9zWrS_4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

No there's no character you control, it was more of a Myst style thing where you click to areas and flash there and then can do a certain minigame. It's supposed to feel like first person.

I mentioned a Tower of Hanoi puzzle with statues earlier, and I'm also remembering a labyrinth section with a Minotaur that can find you. Trouble is I don't know if that is all the same game or different ones, lol

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Play posted:

No there's no character you control, it was more of a Myst style thing where you click to areas and flash there and then can do a certain minigame. It's supposed to feel like first person.

I mentioned a Tower of Hanoi puzzle with statues earlier, and I'm also remembering a labyrinth section with a Minotaur that can find you. Trouble is I don't know if that is all the same game or different ones, lol

Was it Jewels of the Oracle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJl3ZDq7xj8

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Far out suggestion: Was it Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Pierzak posted:

The one example I remember was McPixel, The Pirate Bay actually ended up promoting the game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Play posted:

I don't remember a remove-the-brain-Operation-style game, but the rest of it sounds like Microsoft's Pandora's Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w5oSRiOQ0Y

another guess is Riddle of the Sphinx, I'm thinking it's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67A35Pqv7Eg

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Man this one looks so close to being it, the art looks so similar. It COULD be it, I don't think so but it might. Without seeing the rest I wouldn't know but I'll check it out more.

Things that make me think it isn't is this is more like stereotypically ancient rather than focused on specific ancient civilizations. It's also more of a puzzle game than an edutainment game and the puzzles look pretty hard, not something I would've been able to do as a young kid. Closest one so far though

quote:

another guess is Riddle of the Sphinx, I'm thinking it's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67A35Pqv7Eg

It might be this game, or maybe the sequel to this game. Also possible that it's neither. The cover kind of looks familiar but again there is no brain removal game

It's definitely not the first one.

This also sent me down a rabbit hole of possible games. Some of them look right, especially this one Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09_Cy3zNylc

Also Egypt 3: The Fate of Ramses looks possible

Except NONE of them mention a brain removal game even when I check walkthroughs. Who tf knew there were SO many lovely games about Egypt that came out around 2000, this is getting out of hand. It's could be possible that the brain removal game was from another educational game that I combined with one of these games in my head. Either that or I am insane. But the brain removal game DEFINITELY existed, it's so sharp in my mind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I also found an online game about making a mummy but of course it is dead due to flash and probably wasn't it either because the internet back then wouldn't have played something like this, I'm fairly certain it was CD-ROMS

https://oi-archive.uchicago.edu/OI/MUS/ED/mummy.html

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jewels of the Oracle definitely had tower of Hanoi which is why I thought of it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I posted some games in the white whale thread before realizing that I hadn't posted them here. Here's an edited-down crosspost:

hexwren posted:

• A piece of software, extant circa 1991. An adventure game editing/creation system for DOS. The demo game included on the disk showed a large picture of a classic Grey alien on the screen just staring at you if you died. That scared me enough to ditch the disk at some point.

• A DOS slot machine game, from the same period. I guarantee you this is going to be unfindable because there were a million of these fuckers, but I'm writing it in anyway. I've already looked through some of the games posted on archive.org and I should try again at some point. The two main points: it showed the entire machine, not just the reels, and it was just sitting against a plain blue background.

• A piece of edutainment software about the study of dinosaurs. Played on an Apple IIe in 1989. Every key on the keyboard corresponded to an individual dinosaur, and the software came with an overlay (really, just a floppy sheet of plastic) that you laid on top of the keyboard.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

hexwren posted:

• A piece of edutainment software about the study of dinosaurs. Played on an Apple IIe in 1989. Every key on the keyboard corresponded to an individual dinosaur, and the software came with an overlay (really, just a floppy sheet of plastic) that you laid on top of the keyboard.

Dinosaur Dig?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zathril posted:

Dinosaur Dig?

Definitely that. I think that actually came up on my last search and I dismissed it for some reason, but that's absolutely the one.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Chinook posted:

Jewels of the Oracle definitely had tower of Hanoi which is why I thought of it
I definitely had Jewels of the Oracle as a kid, but I don't think it had a Tower of Hanoi puzzle?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

FFT posted:

I definitely had Jewels of the Oracle as a kid, but I don't think it had a Tower of Hanoi puzzle?

You’re probably right, hahaha. But my memory somehow has that game containing that puzzle. I definitely am looking back 25 years into a murky memory...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

hexwren posted:

A piece of software, extant circa 1991. An adventure game editing/creation system for DOS. The demo game included on the disk showed a large picture of a classic Grey alien on the screen just staring at you if you died. That scared me enough to ditch the disk at some point.

Assuming you mean a Lucasarts-style adventure game, I can only think of two DOS-era adventure game editing tools, Adventure Game Studio and Game Builder (Lite/Pro). The sample game for the latter was some pirate thing, but I don't remember what if anything the former had. There was also Adventure Construction Set, but that was more for like Ultima-style RPGs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I may have posted about this game before, and the details I have are very slight, but I'll try again:

I have a memory from early childhood, in 1990 or so, of watching someone play a computer game in my school's informal early "computer lab," which was mostly Apple IIs but may have had other machines of that vintage. (I can't remember the exact models; I was like 6.) The game was some sort of maze game and, iirc, mouse-themed. The one detail that really sticks with me is that there was a stage or difficulty selection list where the options were all cheese names -- Cheddar (maybe?) as the first one, then Havarti, then Brie. Neither of those were words I'd seen before, which is what makes me assume this actually happened and isn't some weird kid dream.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Googling has revealed that there were a number of mouse-themed maze games (not surprising), but I haven't found anything more concrete than that. This has been lurking at the back of my mind for way, way too long.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

archduke.iago posted:

-a 3d, third person platformer shooter where the camera was fixed behind the player character, and the visual design was very sci - fi with chrome and metal.

It's a bit early for the timeframe you said but could this be Fade to Black?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I think I may have posted about this game before, and the details I have are very slight, but I'll try again:

I have a memory from early childhood, in 1990 or so, of watching someone play a computer game in my school's informal early "computer lab," which was mostly Apple IIs but may have had other machines of that vintage. (I can't remember the exact models; I was like 6.) The game was some sort of maze game and, iirc, mouse-themed. The one detail that really sticks with me is that there was a stage or difficulty selection list where the options were all cheese names -- Cheddar (maybe?) as the first one, then Havarti, then Brie. Neither of those were words I'd seen before, which is what makes me assume this actually happened and isn't some weird kid dream.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Googling has revealed that there were a number of mouse-themed maze games (not surprising), but I haven't found anything more concrete than that. This has been lurking at the back of my mind for way, way too long.

This looks to be Mazes Of Rodentia from MECC Mind Puzzles.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zathril posted:

This looks to be Mazes Of Rodentia from MECC Mind Puzzles.

Holy poo poo, this is 100% it. Thank you! I feel slightly less crazy now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dads_work_files posted:

It's a bit early for the timeframe you said but could this be Fade to Black?

Another game request a few days ago made me suggest Flashback, which then made me look up Fade to Black and see it for the first time in many, many years.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Assuming you mean a Lucasarts-style adventure game, I can only think of two DOS-era adventure game editing tools, Adventure Game Studio and Game Builder (Lite/Pro). The sample game for the latter was some pirate thing, but I don't remember what if anything the former had. There was also Adventure Construction Set, but that was more for like Ultima-style RPGs.

Way more primitive than your average SCUMM game; this editor lived on a single (double-sided, maybe) 5 1/4", if memory serves. Eight-bit sprites with primitive walk animations. The scene in the demo was a campfire on a clifftop. My first death was either walking into the campfire or off the edge of the cliff. This was purchased disc-only from an overstock bookstore circa `90-`91, so it is probably from a low- to no-tier dev.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 11, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you remember a parser? Sierra’s AGI tools were readily available in the 90s but I don’t know if it had an official box release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hexwren posted:

Way more primitive than your average SCUMM game; this editor lived on a single (double-sided, maybe) 5 1/4", if memory serves. Eight-bit sprites with primitive walk animations. The scene in the demo was a campfire on a clifftop. My first death was either walking into the campfire or off the edge of the cliff. This was purchased disc-only from an overstock bookstore circa `90-`91, so it is probably from a low- to no-tier dev.

Found it, it's called QuestMaker. In the sample game if you walk to the left until you hit the cliff and then step in the fire the alien death screen pops up

https://archive.org/details/QuestMaker