Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have eight ghost pepper plants growing in pots in my back yard.

Why the gently caress did I drunkenly order ghost pepper seeds one March day is beyond me, but gently caress it, I have them.

They are starting to flower now, and one is producing a small pepper already. I estimate after I reduce the flowers by half to give more energy to the remaining peppers I will have close to 30 ghost peppers. gently caress me, gently caress my innards, and gently caress the toilet bowl.

Anyone have any good recipes for making sauce from fresh ghost peppers? I fully plan to cook them, wearing goggles, rubber gloves and a rubber apron I keep for sex parties deep frying turkeys, and will be scrubbing myself down afterwards like I was just done with the covid ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm not sure why you'd want to pluck flowers and end up with only 30 fruit, but you do you. I get 20+ fruit of single plants easily in a season and most of them are plenty large and very hot. Just fertilize and it doesn't have any issues keeping up with the growing. Except this year so far. June was cold and all the plants just stopped growing for a month and are just recovering and fruiting. The Reapers are looking to be loaded, and with 15-20 fruit per plant are the Trinidad Moruga Scorpions.

I like to lacto ferment my peppers and will mix them up in their fermenting sacks, but you could supplement with fresnos or something to lay down a base pepper and then add as many as you dare to the amount you have. They dehydrate well from fresh and you can always make flakes or powder too. I don't like to cook my sauces, but you absolutely can. For ghosts I like to lean toward the cumin/coriander direction, but make sure to toast and grind your spices separately or they'll be gritty. Adding garlic and vinegar is a must for most of mine.

Just maybe don't do anything with oils or added fats as they'll go rancid and you have to eat it faster. Fermented and vinegar sauces can last a long time if you pasteurize/jar them.

This website has a ton of recipes and none of them look like they'd make terrible sauce. https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/ Any of the cooked recipes with oil will last about a month, but if you take out the oil (just cook things with a bit of added water to start) you can can/pasteurize them in smaller portions.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you can freeze peppers. just now i just pulled some out of the bottom of my freezer i had forgotten about and made them into powder. if you grow too many just save them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jhet posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want to pluck flowers and end up with only 30 fruit, but you do you. I get 20+ fruit of single plants easily in a season and most of them are plenty large and very hot. Just fertilize and it doesn't have any issues keeping up with the growing. Except this year so far. June was cold and all the plants just stopped growing for a month and are just recovering and fruiting.

Some growing guide i found somewhere said to pluck half the flowers to make sure the other half get lots of growth and size, due to them being potted rather than being in the ground. If you think that's bullshit I'll not do that and have a boatload of peppers.

Dehydrating them sounds like a good idea, then grinding them up into powder. Should I deseed them first, or just cut off the stems and grind the entire thing?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Long as they have room for roots and plenty of food let 'em go nuts. That's been one big benefit of the newer ghost peppers, they're not nearly as stingy as older hot peppers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Definitely leave all the flowers. I’ve done most of mine in pots this year and the biggest problem I had was cold weather. They’re all getting to be normal size and put out plenty of buds. I’d suggest fertilizer though if you haven’t already. I use the tomato stuff as it’s close enough to what they need that it’s not worth mixing a special blend. Blood meal and fish manure when I plant and then a couple teaspoons once in July will usually do it.

If you do while peppers dehydrated, I’d keep the seeds if you’re doing a crushed flake. Up to how much processing you want to do if you can grind finer. I tend to leave them because I’m lazy and just pull the stems off and toss them in the blender.

I’ve been thinking of a peach ghost pepper sauce for the last couple hours now. Maybe start with a chutney profile and just dial down the sweet and up the vinegar. It’d be really good on fried chicken.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If you lacto ferment your peppers use shallots instead of onion if you go that route. Maybe it's just me but fermented onion tastes like rear end while shallots are amazing

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

kazr posted:

If you lacto ferment your peppers use shallots instead of onion if you go that route. Maybe it's just me but fermented onion tastes like rear end while shallots are amazing

what is lacto fermenting?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cimber posted:

It's how traditional sauer kraut is made. You submerge your peppers in a 2% to 5% salt brine and the naturally occurring lactobacillis bacteria on the peppers will kill off pathogenic bacteria and start farting out lactic acid, giving a sour tang. It's a good way to preserve your veggies, and a good alternative to using vinegar for longer term storage.

I like to ferment sliced Jalapeño "chips" with Shallot and garlic, turns out excellent.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Lactobacillus is a group of lactic acid producing bacteria that’s responsible for yummy things like old style sour pickles, sauerkraut, and yoghurt. You can seal up your peppers in some liquid with salt added to 1-2% by weight and leave the lacto to break down the peppers by fermentation. You can just search for lacto hot sauce and be buried in YouTube and blog posts about it for what people have done. Personally, I started using vacuum bags instead of air locks for small batches, and have 1 gallon jars for big ones.

kazr posted:

It’s not just you, something happens and they turn kind of gross. Something about the flavor just doesn’t sit right with them either. Cooked onion in sauce is good stuff though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cimber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPWlJ_gXlg

This is a good explanation IMO. You can ferment your peppers for more than 5 days.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Lacto fermentation is not the best idea for anything with a lot of natural sugars if you let it go for very long, since it'll become highly acidic, which is one reason I personally avoid onions. I had to throw out a batch because I put some granny smith apples in and it ended up tasting like battery acid. If I had waited until after that and added them to the blender, it would have been a different story.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 21, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ferment finished. Made three batches of hot sauce, and still have one cup of leftover mash.

There's a squeeze bottle of each for personal consumption, these are the give aways.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I checked out one of the international markets in town that I had never been to before.

It was a good trip.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Marie Sharp's Beware habanero sauce is one if my favorites. Ironically, right next to Melinda's ghost pepper wing sauce

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

This sounds really delicious.

One of my favorite brands and just sounds really interesting. I have no room in any fridge for more sauce but I'm tempted.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

kazr posted:

Marie Sharp's Beware habanero sauce is one if my favorites. Ironically, right next to Melinda's ghost pepper wing sauce

It's the first one I opened and I absolutely loved it too. I was a little worried there would be an unnatural taste when I saw it contained capsicum extract, but it was amazing!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Picked these good boys up at the grocery the other day. The horseradish one is good but not as good as their roasted garlic sauce and I probably won't buy it again at $14. The horseradish flavor is there but I didn't get any of that sinusy burn that usually comes with it and it feels like something's missing.

The hot mustard style sauce is really good, I think I like it better than Lottie's Barbados Recipe, which was a touch bitter for my taste. It'll probably become part of my permanent lineup, even though it's so thick I have trouble getting it out of the bottle.

mischief posted:

One of my favorite brands and just sounds really interesting. I have no room in any fridge for more sauce but I'm tempted.

I think I saw this one on the shelf maybe I'll try it next time.

Anybody have any experience with those Adoboloco sauces? I'd like to try some of those too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like Fiya! Fiya!, it's definitely hotter than I expected, but I think it has a nice flavor to it's punch.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

mischief posted:

Sounds like somebody needs to hit up craigslist for a dorm hotsauce fridge.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I already have one. There are about a dozen unopened bottles on top of it, about another dozen in our kitchen fridge, and more than I'd like to admit stuffed in the hot sauce fridge.

(I ordered the dill sauce and like six other ones, don't tell my wife.)

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Holy crap that dill serrano sauce is good on chicken. Super tasty.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a jug of jalapenos and stuff I've been fermenting since November 2020. Frankly I put them in a cabinet and forgot about them. Probably should do something with that.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I have a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity that was set to expire in 2018. I'm down to just the last few drops and despite my wife's protests I refuse to throw it out (I really do use it at least a few times a month).

My old flatmate and I had this theory on Dave's Insanity sauces in general and it was that they really don't begin to reach their prime until after a good 1-2 years of being opened and sitting in the fridge/getting left out on the kitchen counter.

Does anybody else have any experience with "aging" their hot sauces?

I know it definitely doesn't work with Sriracha, Tatpatio or Tabasco which turn brown and nasty after too long. Something about Dave's though...it just gets better with age.

aceface fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 30, 2021

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What everyone's thoughts on Secret Aardvark? My grocery store just started carrying them (or I just noticed it for the first time) and I finally finished off my current bottle of Humble House. Is Aardvark relatively flavorful, or is it just all heat and nothing else? They had a few different ones available, I want to say the habanero and a serrano sauce.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

What everyone's thoughts on Secret Aardvark? My grocery store just started carrying them (or I just noticed it for the first time) and I finally finished off my current bottle of Humble House. Is Aardvark relatively flavorful, or is it just all heat and nothing else? They had a few different ones available, I want to say the habanero and a serrano sauce.

More flavor than heat (it’s pretty mild). Very much on the sweeter side, think like a tomato-y bbq sauce.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The problem is that most of them will oxidize and/or start to grow mold. Vinegar or fermented sauces take longer to even come close to this, but I just threw out some 4 year old fermented sauce from the back of my fridge this week. I'd had issues during packaging and I just didn't want to risk my gut anymore with it. If I had canned them better I may have kept it, but they looked like oxygen was getting in through the cap, so out they went. Still smelled okay, but I can't be bothered to plate and test it. The key to being able to age that sauce is keeping as much air out as possible, which is basically impossible once you open the jar, and even then I don't think woozy bottle caps are rated for longer storage than about a year.

Vinegar sauces will oxidize as well, and that's why they change color. The flavors will change because of it and you might start tasting wet cardboard sort of flavors that don't belong there. That's your Tabasco and Crystal sauces, and if you can manage to keep a bottle of Crystal for more than a month I don't understand how.

wormil posted:

I have a jug of jalapenos and stuff I've been fermenting since November 2020. Frankly I put them in a cabinet and forgot about them. Probably should do something with that.

Be smart about this and make sure there's be no air exchange going on here. If there was, you're best off starting over. I'd be fine myself with fermenting for a long time if I was using a well sealed glass container with airlock and all the peppers submerged completely. My favorite length of time is 2-3 months. Plenty sour and well macerated by then. They usually end up around 3.6pH too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
secret aardvark is a thread favorite and it does come down more on the flavor side.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Habanero is amazing its a Caribbean mexican fusion so its tomato and mustard. It's the best.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I liked the habanero. I currently have the serrabanero, and I don't like it nearly as much.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

As others have said it is definitely more flavor than heat. It's a good all purpose sauce that maybe got a little too famous for how hard it used to be to find.

I think the Serrabanero is one of the best breakfast hot sauces out there, particularly on over easy eggs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have a shitload of ghost peppers about to ripen. I've been reading about lacto fermenting, and I think I want to do that with them before I turn them into sauces. If i seal them in canning jars by boiling the lids but not the contents will that be safe, or will the fermentation possibly cause issue with CO2 buildup giving me bottle bombs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cimber posted:

I have a shitload of ghost peppers about to ripen. I've been reading about lacto fermenting, and I think I want to do that with them before I turn them into sauces. If i seal them in canning jars by boiling the lids but not the contents will that be safe, or will the fermentation possibly cause issue with CO2 buildup giving me bottle bombs.

The second. Do you have a vacuum sealer that you can put them in instead? Otherwise they make fermenting lids for mason jars with my last choice being just double wrapping the jar with cling wrap and a rubber band.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Zip lock bag over the jar, tighten the lid ring to about half, and fill the top of the zip lock with water to weigh everything down below the brine. Rough chop your peppers, enough so that there aren't hidden pockets of air in the center. I always use a 2% salt brine.

As long as all your solids are below the brine this is a pretty fool proof method and you can let these sit at room temp to ferment indefinitely. The biggest risk is a stray seed or other added ingredient floating to the top and blooming into mold.

If you have a food saver vacuum sealer deal you can skip the jar and do that instead by adding 2% of your peppers weight in salt

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Thanks very much. I do have a vaccume sealer and bags as well as mason jars, so perhaps I'll be using the bags.

Also, having never grown Ghost Peppers before, do they turn fire red before they are ready or a dark green.

This is what I have going on currently, photo taken just now.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Pepper colours change from green -> dark green/black -> ripe colour (red/yellow/whatever).

"Corking" on some peppers like jalapenos happen at the end.

So those red peppers are nice and ready to be eaten.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

unknown posted:

Pepper colours change from green -> dark green/black -> ripe colour (red/yellow/whatever).

"Corking" on some peppers like jalapenos happen at the end.

So those red peppers are nice and ready to be eaten.

Corking is the little bit of dark green at the bottom of the 2nd red from the right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Corking is the little bit of dark green at the bottom of the 2nd red from the right?

corking is the pepper equivalent of stretch marks. some people say that it is a marker of higher than average heat but i don't know if that is true. the green bit is just not quite ripe, it doesn't happen all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Thanks for that.

Amusingly one of my peppers has bite marks on it, as if a local squirrel was trying to have a snack. Not huge bite marks however, I think the squirrel had a bad day once he realized what he was eating. :vince: