Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guillermus posted:

It would be cool that online pvp (or a covenant) sometimes made you actually spawn as Forlorn or other npcs, limited to the NPC's loadouts, spells and weapons. Something like Old Monk from DeS.

Fuuuuuuck yes. I love the stuff like the mirror knight summons and being summoned as Half-light so much. Being summoned to someone's game as part of the world and lore owns and I want more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lol, Were all those signs telling you "NO DON'T" too much to resist?

TeaJay posted:

I missed out on Ornifex due to her getting killed by basilisks. How feasible is it to start in NG+ and beeline for her immediately?

That should be doable, so long as you have a Fragrant Branch to open that pathway up. That pathway is pretty short and basic up to Ornifex even with NG+.

Rubellavator posted:

This was pretty much my experience with pvp and Dark Souls. I hated DS1 pvp after just a few tries, but I absolutely came to love pvp in DS2 after the game forced it down my throat.

Yeah, I'm not sure if just dumping tons of invasions on you was the "best" solution, but it definitely feels like another case of "DS2's devs writing out every idea they have to 'fix' every complaint about DS1 on a white board, then just doing them all to see what works best." It's strange, but I can't say I hate more fights with weirdos.

Elissimpark posted:

This makes sense. I swear the AI for NPC invaders has them bow or wave occaisionally, which is confusing. And they do the circling and waiting thing that real players will do. Which thinking about it, is a pretty nifty thing on the developer's part.

I think I'm coming to understand why this is a lot of people's favorite Souls game.

Yep, I think it's mostly the ones added in Scholar that really have distinct behavior patterns. The friendly and hostile ones will gesture at you, either when they show up or (with the meanies) when they kill you. The friendly ones will also do things like heal you, provide light sources in dark areas, and point out secrets in the levels. They also tend to have really funny or goofy outfits like you'd expect humans to throw together for some jolly co-op. I always respected how the Forlorn will run up and try to guard break you if they see you turtling too much.

They did carry a lot of that forward into DS3 and I appreciate that, though honestly I think it would've been nice to have a few more invaders there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I found Bellfry Sol the other night and the human black phantoms were fun - dual wielding Aveline guy, the fire witch, etc. They definitely have the feel of human players just dicking around for hijinks.

I got invaded by an actual player while there, who waved and politely watched on as I had my rear end beaten after I accidentally aggroed everyone.

I say gently caress Amourer Dennis, but he does have a cool kit out and play style.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol, Were all those signs telling you "NO DON'T" too much to resist?

Every single torch in the Keep also had "Don't you dare!" in front of them. It was a boy who cried wolf situation.

The uh... the problem had been dealt with in any case.. :hist101:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elissimpark posted:

They definitely have the feel of human players just dicking around for hijinks.

One of my low key favorite Scholar invaders for this sort of thing is Oliver the Collector.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I got invaded by Forlorn once, kicked his rear end around the map until he had one hit left then he parried my and swapped into a dagger then did the welcome gesture, well played person pretending to be an npc, well played.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's loving good.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shoehead posted:

The uh... the problem had been dealt with in any case.. :hist101:
Are you sure?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Still trying to figure out how the Forlorn from DS2 relate to the Forlorn from DS3...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Only thing i can figure is 3 implies they came from a painted world? Or maybe they were looking for a home in 2 and then found the painted world

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
DS3 Forlorn is almost a generic term: if you're sufficiently depressed and homeless and in the process of hollowing you can find a kindly world to make your home. Which is what happened to the Millwood Knights who lost their Spirit Tree, or the Followers of Farron who were abandoned by their Undead Legion, and all the people transforming into Corvians.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In my mind I viewed the 3 games (and DeS) as near equals and reflected on them all with nostalgia. I tried to do another run of this some time back and just bounced off. Started again last night. My god the controls are awful. How did I not find it this bad the first time around? And the combat, its like Sekiro to me, its that punishing. These gimp cadaver knights hitting me with combos where I'm used to just powering through with 2H swings. No battle axe to be found early on to make things easy, here I am trying to take on groups with a drat short sword. Poise being a thing! Its unreal. Thought I'd make up for the crushing effect of equip load by just dropping all my armor, and arrows are making me stumble in the first area. Not to mention my weapons breaking easier than an iphone.

I think the hardest thing about getting into it is the starting area. Its just so bland compared to the starting areas of 1/3. I summoned someone to help with the last giant, did that with ease. All pumped up then I was gonna go try the pursuer up on the platform, but got killed on the way. Sigh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Akuma posted:

Are you sure?

I think so, I wont be seeing any main game areas again for a while cos I'm on Sunken King now. This is actually what got me to quit and finish the regular game way back in 2014 or whenever that was so I'm trying to be strong this time. I dunno if I should fight the Queen first or the party of adventurers, but both are loving DESTROYING me

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Every time I reach the DLC of DS2, I get halfway through brume tower, die about 300 times in and around this one room, and decide it's been too long since I last rage-uninstalled a game

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
See, I used to hate that room until I saw someone in a video remember that Alluring Skulls are a thing, and that you can use them to make everybody in that room run into a corner while you take care of the totem.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like to climb down the ladder to bait the smaller guys over, then climb back up and snipe them. Then I climb back down to take care of the big guy and the totem

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Shoehead posted:

I think so, I wont be seeing any main game areas again for a while cos I'm on Sunken King now. This is actually what got me to quit and finish the regular game way back in 2014 or whenever that was so I'm trying to be strong this time. I dunno if I should fight the Queen first or the party of adventurers, but both are loving DESTROYING me
Queen gates progress (but there's not much left), the three dudes guard a kinda fun item but don't even have a Soul. They're after easily the best of the infamous co-op zones in the DLCs (it's short and the fight is unique at least), so I won't tell you DON'T BOTHER IT SUCKS, but they can wait until you really want to do everything.

For the future: the other co-op areas are Iron Passage and Frozen (frigid?) Outskirts and while conceptually they suck rear end to play. Consider summoning or actually skipping, don't force yourself to complete any of them before moving on.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Raylax posted:

Every time I reach the DLC of DS2, I get halfway through brume tower, die about 300 times in and around this one room, and decide it's been too long since I last rage-uninstalled a game

Haul rear end out the door and keep running for a bit.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Solo'ing Iron Passage was easily the worst part of my DS2 playthrough and in retrospect I really should've just summoned for it but I was stubborn about solo'ing everything. It's the worst boss run in the series I think.

Gank Squad though was my favorite boss in the game. Goddamn I love that fight. Those dudes are relentless.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Raylax posted:

Just run for it, they tether at the door so all you have to do is juke past the big guy and his lava spout.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Oh my god.

Chase the barrel carrying dudes onto the trapdoors, climb down the ladder a little way to lure enemies over, climb back up then shoot fire arrows through the ladder gap at barrels to blow everyone up, even the big dude there.

You need to be a bit patient to wait for barrel guys to walk where you want them, of course.

Frequently using things in the environment to kill things is one of the best things about DS2.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You do have to first get the door open tho

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I'll give those tips a try next time I get there, cheers

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

In my mind I viewed the 3 games (and DeS) as near equals and reflected on them all with nostalgia. I tried to do another run of this some time back and just bounced off. Started again last night. My god the controls are awful. How did I not find it this bad the first time around? And the combat, its like Sekiro to me, its that punishing. These gimp cadaver knights hitting me with combos where I'm used to just powering through with 2H swings. No battle axe to be found early on to make things easy, here I am trying to take on groups with a drat short sword. Poise being a thing! Its unreal. Thought I'd make up for the crushing effect of equip load by just dropping all my armor, and arrows are making me stumble in the first area. Not to mention my weapons breaking easier than an iphone.

I think the hardest thing about getting into it is the starting area. Its just so bland compared to the starting areas of 1/3. I summoned someone to help with the last giant, did that with ease. All pumped up then I was gonna go try the pursuer up on the platform, but got killed on the way. Sigh

DS1 and 2 have similar problems with making big boi strength builds, where the first part of the game is rough until you get armor that can help build your poise up. The equip load doesn't do much in DS2 besides shortening your dodge roll, all the i-frames and related good-feeling rolls are anchored to the Agility stat. It's perfectly fine to just run around with a mace or two and the stone ring on to plow through that early patch of the game where you're getting used to the awkward bits, get your stats up, and find some of the good ultra greatswords or other honking big weapons.

Shoehead posted:

If you keep a pig or skeleton alive in Elana's fight, she's not inclined to summon more. The dumb gank squad is a kiting game unless you feel like summoning, which the game is expecting you to do in the multiplayer DLC zones, so it's up to you what you're feeling.

Simply Simon posted:

For the future: the other co-op areas are Iron Passage and Frozen (frigid?) Outskirts and while conceptually they suck rear end to play. Consider summoning or actually skipping, don't force yourself to complete any of them before moving on.

Iron Passage doesn't have anything great in it that warrants trying to explore, so it's valid and fine to run straight for the boss fog. Frigid Outskirts is sure a trek though.

e-

Elissimpark posted:

Frequently using things in the environment to kill things is one of the best things about DS2.

My favorite bit is using the giant seed on Mauldron as he runs down into the cursed tower.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 10, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See I felt like as soon as I put on armor I became a disgusting fat body who cant move

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

See I felt like as soon as I put on armor I became a disgusting fat body who cant move

Your equip load will also impact your walk speed in addition to the roll speed and distance, so that will feel stiffer. Mechanically, it doesn't impact much, but it looks off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Raylax posted:

I'm trying to remember how I actually survived that room and I think I've just blocked it all out

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There are various weird angles you can use to hit stuff with arrows, especially if you use alluring skulls.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That room is tedious and not good and I love this game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Brume owns but I too don't like that room. Also it's super easy to die in the next one to the sorcerers so maybe you'll have to do it a few times. At least the door stays open.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also has that weird side chamber that IIRC has nothing of note in it. I think maybe it's there to give you a way to choke point the enemies? It's odd.

Same with the balcony you have to blow up the barrels blocking the door in order to access...which accomplishes very, very little in the grand scheme of things.

I feel like that room more than any other is where you can really sense the designer combining all the parts together imagining it as this cool, elaborate setpiece and instead it's some wonky nonsense.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 11, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
After a small bit of research it looks like I completely missed talking to Benhart after opening the way to the shaded wood and missed summoning him for a load of stuff, including this boss fight. I've also noticed she's weak to magic so I buffed up my magic Mace. I'll see if that makes a difference. This other punchy NPC is getting ate up

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i think the intended idea in that room is something along the lines of getting the barrel hollows to drop and then exploding them? Or maybe the intended play is just suicide run to the door, suicide run to Nadalia.

It is just some straight up bullshit, and imo Brume Tower has the most of that of any DLCs. They've all got some kind of bullshit spots, but Brume Tower has the most and they're all scattered throughout. At least Eleum Loyce stuck all their bullshit in the Lower Garrison and Frigid Outskirts.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 12, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My least favorite part in Eleum Loyce is where they decided to be assholes and shove like 3 frozen knights and a goddamn dog into a tiny room at the end of an already long, meandering route through the area so if you die there it loving suuuuuucks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I loved stepping out of an elevator into 3 sonics the hedgehog

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tried another session last night. Still awestruck at how hard the game seems to me right now. Tried pursuer, was quickly dispatched. I just feel so god drat slow. The delay in rolling or chugging an estus after hitting the button seems so drat long. Went to the actual arena to fight him, summoned and cheesed with the crossbow thing. Very nearly lose my souls bounty running into him again immediately after in lost bastille, before chickening out and using a homeward bone. I feel like I'm still rediscovering the game, I'm not even sure if I beat it once or twice before, but I remember hating that place probably as much or more than anywhere else in the series.

Opened the blacksmith shop, bought the battle axe, upgraded it. Bought the cat ring, managed to scoop up all the items in the shaft in Majula. Took about 15 tries to get down to the last one where you have to use the thin boards to break your fall. Then immediately get blown up by those suicide bombers upon reaching the bottom. I dont even remember whats down there. I did manage to get the bonfire at grave of saints.

Said "gently caress bastille" and went to Heide's. I can do enough damage with my new axe to 4-5 hit the big guys, but probably 3 times in a row upon reaching the room with 3, upon triggering the last two guarding the doors, I ended up rolling off the edge to a watery grave while retreating/also trying to cheese them. Thats when I gave up for the night.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I loved stepping out of an elevator into 3 sonics the hedgehog

And if you try to snipe them with a bow, you'll notice (again) hilariously bad animations. I loving love this game but it needs a coat of paint, and not even lightning for me but animations. Coming from Bloodborne, DS3 or Sekiro (hell, even DS1 has less choppy enemies)...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Things that are far away are animated with just a few frames of animation, and there's an overlap with things that are snipeable.

In DS3, go look at the Blacksmith from across Firelink shrine, he looks like a stop-motion puppet!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

Tried another session last night. Still awestruck at how hard the game seems to me right now. Tried pursuer, was quickly dispatched. I just feel so god drat slow. The delay in rolling or chugging an estus after hitting the button seems so drat long.

What are your stats like right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Level 20 or something? Deprived character, put most into STR and enough into DEX to use weapons, and some sprinkled VIT/END