Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

packetmantis posted:

She alao got a poo poo ton of awards and noms for playing Mildred Loving but I guess the edgy atheist vampire show is more important!

I saw that on her IMDB page but haven’t seen the movie. She got an Oscar nomination for it. I just discovered all of this tonight so I get that I’m a bit behind.

I never said any of this was “more important” than her other roles? Just blew my mind that she was the Herald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ruth Negga does a lot of genre stuff, very much an "oh hey you're in this" actress

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The only thing I ever saw her in was Agents of Shield as the Woman in the Floral Dress. Then her character ate bad fish and became a fortune-telling porcupine or some poo poo. (I liked the show, I'm just teasing)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Aug 8, 2021

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Frank Frank posted:

Going back and listening to the Herald’s dialogue gave me chills. She owns.

BEAR SEEK SEEK LEST

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

The only thing I ever saw her in was Agents of Shield as the Woman in the Floral Dress. Then her character ate bad fish and became a fortune-telling porcupine or some poo poo. (I liked the show, I'm just teasing)

Hey you give That's So Raven The Hedgehog some respect :colbert:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dodgeball Academia appears to be real real real good. Triply so if you’re horny for the early Camelot Mario Sports games and justifiably found the most recent Mario Golf story lacking.

Little thing: The devs appear to have put extra care in inclusivity. Insofar as one of the main NPCs is wheelchair bound. Now this is nothing too special, it’s just a character sprite. That is until you realize that any set of stairs in the game has a wheelchair lift available. Just a neat nod that the environment designer put some thought into things.

Little thing 2: You don’t just open chests you find lying around, you yeet dodgeballs at them to pop them open of course.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Warbird posted:

Dodgeball Academia

I hadn't heard of that but it looks worthwhile. I replayed Golf Story after beating the new Mario Golf, and it hit better :dumbrim: in terms of the story/progression. I'll check this one out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wow that is an incredibly ugly art style

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dodgeball Acadamia is really adorable and fun to play. It's been a long time since I've played a game that ridiculously cute.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wow that is an incredibly ugly art style

Don’t make me tap the sign curdmancer.

E - Though I’m not 100% with the art direction, I do admire that they just said “gently caress it” and decided to just have a bunch of fukkin weirdos running around for no particular reason.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I recently picked up AssCreed Odyssey, and I am very much enjoying Spartan Kicking people off of high places, and seeing the obscene damage numbers that pop up when they finally hit the ground.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Warbird posted:

Dodgeball Academia appears to be real real real good. Triply so if you’re horny for the early Camelot Mario Sports games and justifiably found the most recent Mario Golf story lacking.

Little thing: The devs appear to have put extra care in inclusivity. Insofar as one of the main NPCs is wheelchair bound. Now this is nothing too special, it’s just a character sprite. That is until you realize that any set of stairs in the game has a wheelchair lift available. Just a neat nod that the environment designer put some thought into things.

Little thing 2: You don’t just open chests you find lying around, you yeet dodgeballs at them to pop them open of course.

Is this like the old super dodgeball games for the PC engine? I had that and the 4 player turbo-tap thingy. Was an absolute blast to play.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Is this like the old super dodgeball games for the PC engine? I had that and the 4 player turbo-tap thingy. Was an absolute blast to play.

My specific reference point is Super Dodgeball Advance, but eyeballing the PC engine ones it appears to be the same sort of affair. I’m still early so I don’t know if they get as buckwild as those did, but that’s what they’re going for it seems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

It's pretty similar to the River City Ransom/Kunio-kun universe dodgeball games TBH.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite is the Floating Steampunk World in Metroid Prime 3. Why steam-driven robots? Why not?!

The backstory we do get is that the Chozo built it basically on exactly that principle. Gotta love at their height they basically went around the universe building everything from statues and monuments with tech and weapon stashes hidden in them to entire cities on a creative whim.

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty similar to the River City Ransom/Kunio-kun universe dodgeball games TBH.

I was actually just thinking that what I've seen of it reminds me of those games. Which is probably part of the vibe they're going for.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Aug 9, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Zombie Guy posted:

I recently picked up AssCreed Odyssey, and I am very much enjoying Spartan Kicking people off of high places, and seeing the obscene damage numbers that pop up when they finally hit the ground.

Valhalla not having the kick is a massive knock against it. The Spartan Kick is the best ability in Odyssey and it only gets better as the game progresses.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Until you find someone with a kick immunity trait. :argh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

packetmantis posted:

Until you find someone with a kick immunity trait. :argh:

Fortunately the Greek pantheon is not immune to being kicked in the nuts, so it all evens out eventually

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Warbird posted:

I saw it a available and was wondering if it would be any good. Comparing it to mario sports is a real good selling point. We talking mario tennis (GBC) or mario tennis (GBA)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

Valhalla not having the kick is a massive knock against it. The Spartan Kick is the best ability in Odyssey and it only gets better as the game progresses.

Valhalla you can harpoon someone and then use the rope to throw them a surprising distance in the direction of your choice.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fortunately the Greek pantheon is not immune to being kicked in the nuts, so it all evens out eventually

Zeus probably enjoys it, anyway. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Lone Badger posted:

Valhalla you can harpoon someone and then use the rope to throw them a surprising distance in the direction of your choice.

I know. It's just not the same though... :sigh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm close to the end of VLR, only the final path (at least at this point, all the other paths have been got and I've disarmed all the bombs and got to the Q Room) and I'm at what looks to be the final puzzle. 999 DS version ended with sudoku (although the steam version hosed that up by replacing it with a less fun puzzle) and now it looks like VLR is ending on loving The mother of all Minesweeper puzzles. That's on brand. What, is ZTD gonne end with a picross. Maybe windows pinball, or freecel? It's not a complaint, it's kind of hilarious. I'm gonna do the puzzle later, I've got stuff to do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This belongs in both threads. If you hold up in the dpad in Castlevania Portrait of Ruin your character will strike a pose. Jonathan pelvic thrusts which is rad

Charlotte poses for the camera and says "not bad huh?" Which is the opposite of rad

https://youtube.com/shorts/aJQ3TluNgNg?feature=share

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm close to the end of VLR, only the final path (at least at this point, all the other paths have been got and I've disarmed all the bombs and got to the Q Room) and I'm at what looks to be the final puzzle. 999 DS version ended with sudoku (although the steam version hosed that up by replacing it with a less fun puzzle) and now it looks like VLR is ending on loving The mother of all Minesweeper puzzles. That's on brand. What, is ZTD gonne end with a picross. Maybe windows pinball, or freecel? It's not a complaint, it's kind of hilarious. I'm gonna do the puzzle later, I've got stuff to do.

ztd spoilers bioenchanted do NOT click this, seriously: the fact that ztd didn't have a capstone puzzle in the same way is really disappointing, on top of a lot of other reasons why ztd is pretty disappointing. 999's final puzzle was such a great emotional climax and easily the strongest single moment in the series and ztd had ... oh i killed your dog.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's been a while and I forgot about the bears in Ghost of Tsushima. Replaying it now, it's delightful to be walking through the hillside and see some dude in the distance get launched in orbit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm a little confused, just got the A Certain Point of View trophy in VLR. Is that actually it for the true ending, or am I missing something in VLR? The timeline has no new stuff that I can see. Is it the case that Sigma/The Player never sees what happens next and that Kyle saves the world offscreen?

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Aug 10, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm a little confused, just got the A Certain Point of View trophy in VLR. Is that actually it for the true ending, or am I missing something in VLR? The timeline has no new stuff that I can see. Is it the case that Sigma/The Player never sees what happens next and that Kyle saves the world offscreen?

yeah, they were presumptive and ended the game on a sequel hook - you'll get some followup in ZTD

I'm not as cold as some people are on ZTD and it's actually got a few of my favorite bits across the trilogy, but don't expect absolutely everything to get explained, let alone wrapped up to satisfaction

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I saw it a available and was wondering if it would be any good. Comparing it to mario sports is a real good selling point. We talking mario tennis (GBC) or mario tennis (GBA)?

Couldn’t tell you, I never played the GBA one I’m afraid. I haven’t seen any fun side games yet like you’d get in the old GBC game, but I’m still very early on. The kid isn’t making for good or efficient progress in the game department I’m afraid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm a dumbass. What are VLR and ZTD?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm a dumbass. What are VLR and ZTD?

Virtue’s Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma, the sequels to 999

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that VLR trophy/ending, as tantalizing as it is, is mostly just a sidelong reference to one of the author's older works

ZTD has some fun moments and characters but I absolutely guarantee I couldn't remember the whole cast offhand like I can for 999 and VLR. I think the total gameplay genre change was a drag and they didn't have nearly the graphics for what they were trying to pull off, although you can kind of see what they were going for in some scenes. BIOENCHANTED AND ANYONE ELSE NOT FINISHED WITH THE ZERO ESCAPE TRILOGY DO NOT CLICK THIS SPOILER The new presentation means that it would seem kind of weird to have any kind of running third person monologue...except of course they'd already hinted at something that could have turned that into a cool payoff in the Another Point of View trophy mentioned above in the true end of VLR. It's disappointing they didn't play with that a little. The whole Sir Not Appearing In This Film reveal was so frustrating that I really don't care how many little winks there are to it (including the already mentioned genre/presentation shift from the previous games).

Also I think ZTD really screws up the whole plot of the series somehow, although I'd be hard-pressed to remember/figure out how. Let me see what I remember... (full Zero Escape/Nonary Games series spoilers) Akane and Santa get kidnapped for the first Nonary Games, or at least one of the first trial runs by Candle Pharmaceuticals or whatever the company's name was, they get trapped together and Akane has to psychically get the puzzle answers from Junpei several years in the future. To ensure that this happens, she recreates it several years after she escapes and creates a closed time loop. VLR happens in Rhizome Something or Other which is secretly the moon and the whole thing is a tortured but fun Schrodinger's Cat scenario set up so that Sigma, who finally realizes that he's a badass geezer with a glowing eye and cyber arms, can jump between worldlines and get information. Plot twist, this is way in the future in some year that I bet would have a digital root of 9 if I cared to look, it's been a bajillion years since Sigma (and Clover, and Alice...) were kidnapped. Sigma has to Ashton Kutcher In The Butterfly Effect himself back to when Free the Soul launches the Radical-6 attack from the Mars colony simulation. So, he escapes the Nonary Game: Moon Edition and is shunted right into the Decision Game, where, in one worldline, he is tremendously dumb even for Sigma and manages to get someone pregnant with twins after they're both locked in the loving compound after the game waiting to starve to death (come on Sigma, wrap it the gently caress up, and don't try to tell me there was no prophylaxis at all in a big colony simulator full of adults). They somehow stretch their remaining food and manage to miraculously deliver both babies - Phi and Delta - and before they die they send one or both of them through the alien transporter/copier device, this is where it gets super hazy for me. Maybe they have to wait a few days/weeks/months between sending them? Does the teleporter actually work in the same worldline or does it send a clone to another worldline? I can't remember any of the specifics there but it's all very sad, Sigma and his wife and kids all die alone underground and NuPhi and NuDelta go off to different corners of the globe. So, like, did Delta will himself into existence, or what? He can't exist without him existing already to lead Free the Soul and take over the Mars simulation, unless I'm missing or misremembering something (which is possible, my only playthrough of ZTD was five years ago now). It's just frustrating because the other two games point out stuff like this very consistently and either explain it or handwave it.

And before someone goes all "wrong thread", the best little part of the Zero Escape games is talking about how insane they get. :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
most of Uchikoshi's works involve at least some aspect of the idea that a consciousness can exist separate from a body and therefore separate from needing to exist at a certain point of space and time + then delving into interesting things you can do with that concept (which would be massive spoilers to get into specific details). the other aspect he likes to play with is the idea of a morphogenetic field, which is that consciousnesses can share ideas and moments passively, leading sensitive people to be able to draw in information that they wouldn't and shouldn't be able to have (because they weren't there at the time, or the thing they have knowledge of never happened)

the REAL neat thing about that, and why i'm bringing it up here, is that these ideas work incredibly well in the structure of visual novels with branching paths -- the player themself can be treated as this consciousness separate from the characters, jumping between timelines and bringing information with them (or at least just being able to see the effects of the characters doing the same). it's a hell of a sci-fi idea to play with and, even if it isn't executed fantastically in particular games or is fairly background in some of them compared to others, it's still a concept that nobody else is really playing with and can only be toyed with to the extent that it is in a videogame context

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

flatluigi posted:

the REAL neat thing about that, and why i'm bringing it up here, is that these ideas work incredibly well in the structure of visual novels with branching paths -- the player themself can be treated as this consciousness separate from the characters, jumping between timelines and bringing information with them (or at least just being able to see the effects of the characters doing the same). it's a hell of a sci-fi idea to play with and, even if it isn't executed fantastically in particular games or is fairly background in some of them compared to others, it's still a concept that nobody else is really playing with and can only be toyed with to the extent that it is in a videogame context

Ever17 did this to incredible effect (absolutely massive spoilers ahead): After the prologue, where a bunch of poo poo goes down and the cast gets trapped in an underwater amusement park, you can pick to play as one of two characters and see the plot unfold from their perspective. In reality, you're not actually playing as either one of them. You're playing as a fourth dimensional entity that has been tricked into observing these events. The events that the two characters are witnessing are actually 17 years apart, and the second iteration has been deliberately staged in this manner to call you forth so that you can help save the protagonist of the first iteration because you're the only entity that can freely travel in time.

The final route that reveals all of this is absolutely buckwild, as the second half of it is just a constant stream of mindfucks and twists that make perfect sense in retrospect but completely turn your preconceived notion of everything and everyone on its head. Like there's just this one moment when a single crack forms in the facade and from there it's just a deluge of implications and revelations

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ever17 leapt to my mind immediately as well since it’s the only other game off the top of my head where the concept is used like that.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified does something similar, and the twist is one of the reasons I legit enjoy it despite how mediocre it is as an actual game. All through the game people talk about how Carter, the player character, is acting way more reliable and effective and levelheaded than his file would suggest, since prior to the game he'd had a pretty fair fall from grace due to his family dying in a house fire while he was on assignment. Then there's a scene where you manage to capture an enemy alien and need to cut him off from their hivemind network, so science rigs up a thing that does that and it makes Carter freak the gently caress out and pass out. Then near the end of the game it's revealed the reason for these was he's been possessed by an child Ethereal the whole game who didn't realize it until he began fighting off their control. That's why the game is third person, it's why he has abilities no other Agent does, and why he did an instant personality shift right when the game starts and has been so different from his file. You haven't been playing Carter, you've been playing the Ethereal controlling him

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, ever17 is the game I wanted to specifically reference without giving away that it's the game he worked on that explores the idea the deepest, since that's in and of itself a spoiler :v:

i'd love for those older games in the infinity series to get a rerelease and re-translation/localization now that he's got some weight behind his name

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s not a completely unique niche for Uchikoshi, I mean Suda51 did something very thematically similar for Contact without getting too intensely sci-fi with it, but it’s one of those things where just mentioning other possible titles is spoilers

But Contact is kind of dire and there’s just not much of anything to spoil

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think the difference is for suda is that he tries a lot of stuff to greater and lesser effect but he doesn't really have a central concept to point at across all his games like that. certainly some thematic stuff and recurring motifs, but uchikoshi likes those two concepts so much that it's hard to find a game he's done where they don't show up even in the far background

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kitfox88 posted:

Ever17 leapt to my mind immediately as well since it’s the only other game off the top of my head where the concept is used like that.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified does something similar, and the twist is one of the reasons I legit enjoy it despite how mediocre it is as an actual game. All through the game people talk about how Carter, the player character, is acting way more reliable and effective and levelheaded than his file would suggest, since prior to the game he'd had a pretty fair fall from grace due to his family dying in a house fire while he was on assignment. Then there's a scene where you manage to capture an enemy alien and need to cut him off from their hivemind network, so science rigs up a thing that does that and it makes Carter freak the gently caress out and pass out. Then near the end of the game it's revealed the reason for these was he's been possessed by an child Ethereal the whole game who didn't realize it until he began fighting off their control. That's why the game is third person, it's why he has abilities no other Agent does, and why he did an instant personality shift right when the game starts and has been so different from his file. You haven't been playing Carter, you've been playing the Ethereal controlling him

Notably with The Bureau, the game is a third-person shooter, except for when the Ethereal separates from Carter; then it switches to first person.

Pathologic, Pathologic 2, and the Marble Nest alpha for Pathologic 2 (which is its own story) also have this theme as a central point. The entire point of Pathologic 1 is that you are not playing as the Bachelor, Changeling, or Haruspex against the Sand Plague; you are the player engaging in an experiment with the developer's avatar - is it truly possible to have free will in a game with a scripted linear narrative (the devs feel the answer is yes, depending on how you engage with it, including by not doing so)? Pathologic 2 expands this in different ways and adds another layer of abstraction as well. Marble Nest has a unique ending if you choose very particular wording at the end of it, too. When the Plague asks you if you are ready to die, you can simply answer "Bachelor Dankovsky is ready to die" instead - you are, of course, still not the Bachelor. The Void as well, though in a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

flatluigi posted:

yeah, ever17 is the game I wanted to specifically reference without giving away that it's the game he worked on that explores the idea the deepest, since that's in and of itself a spoiler :v:

i'd love for those older games in the infinity series to get a rerelease and re-translation/localization now that he's got some weight behind his name

Oh I never connected it was the same writer :frog: makes total sense though. And yeah, I would love relocalizations of some older vn stuff that got some dicey ones the first time around.