Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

chaleski posted:

Imagine complaining about any character who's not Seraphine when her whole "struggling artist who earnestly posts on social media about mental health but is also a K-pop star" thing exists

No character will ever be worse than Seraphine

In any game

This is the only correct answer.

Also I need to know about this ex-riot employee's girlfriend thing? It sounds like exactly the trainwreck I need right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

An ex-girlfriend of an ex-Riot employee claims that Seraphine was based on her.

Riot says that didn't happen, and that her ex boyfriend both left Riot more than year before the accusation was made and was never in a position to make creative decisions.

But then again Riot also said that they didn't make KDA Seraphine first and tried to retroactively shove her into Runeterra, and I don't really believe that, so.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

I remember when this all dropped and on one hand the accusation on its face seems pretty wild but on the other hand, at least to me, her actual photos vs the art seemed like maybe there was something there. If I'm remembering right, very similar poses, kind of similar backgrounds, accessories were all the same...I dunno.

Also, champs start development easily more than a year before they go live, so that doesn't mean poo poo. Some are in dev significantly longer than that (there's champs that have come out that have been in the pipeline for years in various forms) as they get tweaked and reworked, so that doesn't mean poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive never seen a twee indie girl with pink hair before, it probably couldnt be a coincidence

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the guy who designed the champ is married to a small asian woman with pink hair

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cant believe that guy makes his wife dress up like that other guys ex girlfriend. this company

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

cant believe that guy makes his wife dress up like that other guys ex girlfriend. this company

:hai:

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Waterfall Watcher posted:

But in all seriousness we should take the ire away from the obvious scapegoats that riot puts in front of us to distract us from the real shitster in this game: Yorick and all five people who main him post and pre rework.

You wanna fight bro, meet me in patch 11.7 and we'll fuckin go.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Eyenetrat

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Filegingu

Gee, how can Riot ever catch people trolling in game and intentionally throwing games - it's such a hard thing to figure out, even when it is reported (reported them a few days ago and sent a replay file through a website ticket directly to Riot, and they just keep intentionally throwing games as a duo, and I mean clearly intentionally, like AFKing in the bush and taking Yuumi support to top lane).

They really take in-game trolling seriously, it is very important to Riot.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I think the problem is they don't have more unique ideas that isn't explored. Instead of pop idol champions, why can't we have a champ based on something more unique like a flagellant who channels incoming damage and uses their own death as a core mechanic instead of one last chance at payback for being bursted like Karthus? You executed me? Too bad, I now popped an ult that will let my team finish you off.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

gyrobot posted:

I think the problem is they don't have more unique ideas that isn't explored. Instead of pop idol champions, why can't we have a champ based on something more unique like a flagellant who channels incoming damage and uses their own death as a core mechanic instead of one last chance at payback for being bursted like Karthus? You executed me? Too bad, I now popped an ult that will let my team finish you off.

Karthus, Tryndamere, Olaf, Aatrox 1.0 and 2.0, Sion, Mundo, Sett, and probably some I'm forgetting are all variations on those concepts. I guess you could argue there aren't any that fit that specific description but saying that mechanics around taking damage and dying is an unexplored design space is very silly

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

gyrobot posted:

you just described the champion sion

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Huskar, the Sacred Warrior ftw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Imagine how funny it would be if Spectre made it into the game

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Imagine how funny it would be if Murky made it into the game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Murky in League would be legitimately hilarious.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just 1:1 copy over murky and abathur imo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Split on if Abathur would be brutally owned in a game with teleport and wards, or if his constant global presence would make up for not being able to exploit farting out bugs.

Murky would 100% be a split push fiend though. 25% the value of a normal hero, 8 second respawns (near the fight, no less), a 3 second stun for teamfights, and the ability to use his egg to effectively teleport to another lane? Absolutely filthy in League.

E: On second thought, if Abathur kept one of his ults he'd probably snap League over his [lack of] legs.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 10, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I want Murky and Naz and Kharazhim and also if they could combine Varian and Sonya and cram that into Garen that would be just ducky.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of dota heros in league, remember beta twisted fate with his goof-rear end original version of gate where it was his e and had a 30 second cd at max rank

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Monicro posted:

Karthus, Tryndamere, Olaf, Aatrox 1.0 and 2.0, Sion, Mundo, Sett, and probably some I'm forgetting are all variations on those concepts. I guess you could argue there aren't any that fit that specific description but saying that mechanics around taking damage and dying is an unexplored design space is very silly

Yeah I forget about them, but the idea of Pyke's execute backfiring because the champ wants to die would twist the execution mechanic

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
ah yes, the old sniper aghs upgrade

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Oh man.

Why does the biggest and most successful moba have to be the one with all the dull as dirt abilities and items. HotS sounds as fun as dota was with that poo poo.

edit: I know I didn't imagine it, does anyone know where they can find that really old rear end article they put out about design philosophy where they were talking about like, ability readability or something like that, and then preceded to call out by name all my favorite dota mechanics as things they never plan on doing. Like bloodseekers ult, invoker in general, auras and global abilities, manaburn ect. It was around the time they started changing a whole bunch of abilities to not be global anymore and cutting out item and sonas auras.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 10, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They tried being innovative and we got Yuumi so idk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The main problem with the other 2 is Dota 2 loving sucks and HotS has the eternal problem of being tied to Blizzard's balance mentality and also their support design which is dull as poo poo. If you think League's healing is stupid you probably don't want to spend too long in HotS where there's a character who heals all allies around him with no mana cost and also doesn't have to stop moving to attack.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If they want to keep releasing new champs but don't want to increase complexity I say its time to really think outside the box and release a champion with no abilities

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Whenever I think about it I am still kinda surprised that Riot has never tried to make a champion that works like Invoker.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

If they want to keep releasing new champs but don't want to increase complexity I say its time to really think outside the box and release a champion with no abilities

Thematically is a minion.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
My genius brain idea for LoL: make grievous wounds way more common but in smaller amounts. Stick it on loads of items but in 10-20% increments, basically the same as CDR or whatever. Having an 800g item taking a slot for 25 mins feels bad. Having one item available per archetype feels bad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Whenever I think about it I am still kinda surprised that Riot has never tried to make a champion that works like Invoker.

Aphelios is like a more awkward Invoker with fewer (and significantly less powerful) abilities, down to juggling ballsguns to unlock certain skills and effects.

njsykora posted:

The main problem with the other 2 is Dota 2 loving sucks and HotS has the eternal problem of being tied to Blizzard's balance mentality and also their support design which is dull as poo poo. If you think League's healing is stupid you probably don't want to spend too long in HotS where there's a character who heals all allies around him with no mana cost and also doesn't have to stop moving to attack.

Dota 2 is good actually; not as easily readable visually as League, and a lot of the modern "so we're really not going to beat League, huh" changes & heroes have been pathetic, but its still fun and has a large source of gimmicks that Riot's drawn from for years.

HOTS definitely has a heal creep problem; its ARAM is possibly the most tedious and mind-numbing of any moba I've played, and I've played quite a few. That said Riot should draw their design team's attention towards their heroes for inspiration, especially considering the creative drought they seem to be going through WRT unique hero roles.

also maybe Infinite Crisis. And I wouldn't mind seeing a five-ability Churnwalker.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 10, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Dota 2 is good actually

No it loving sucks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Grievous Wounds remains a really awkward way to do counter-healing. Because it basically negates an entire method/playstyle, or isn't worth taking.

When it is worth taking, it's for characters who you otherwise could not kill without it, which means all other healing in the game either has to match, or is made completely useless when Grievous Wounds are around. In turn if you don't need Grievous Wounds it's a huge waste of gold.

Realistically, it either needs to change mechanically (imagine if Grievous Wounds reduced the targets maximum health instead of the healing taken, but not in like an actual health reduction way just a can't be healed back past this point way that falls off) or be removed and have healing rebalanced (toned down until it's roughly where it is now when grievous wounds is applied, or slightly stronger than that as necessary).

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Like I mentioned in an edit, they 100% had some sort of interview or article or SOMETHING where they named Invoker as something they would never put into the game for like, player clarity or burden of knowledge or whatever the exact phrase was. Wish I could find it.

Edit: Oh, okay, The quotes I'm thinking of seem to be from now completely gone dev posts on forums. I see a bunch of different people and articles talking about the posts but every direct link is dead.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 10, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Like I mentioned in an edit, they 100% had some sort of interview or article or SOMETHING where they named Invoker as something they would never put into the game for like, player clarity or burden of knowledge or whatever the exact phrase was. Wish I could find it.

Edit: Oh, okay, The quotes I'm thinking of seem to be from now completely gone dev posts on forums. I see a bunch of different people and articles talking about the posts but every direct link is dead.

It's from the old forums and long gone, but the post specifically called out Invoker because he was overly complicated (although I think this was the original 27 spell Invoker where order mattered), and bloodseeker because dying to rupture isn't something that immediately makes sense visually. You get a huge bleed animation and think run away from the thing that did it, and in doing so kill yourself.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'd say just gently caress all that and make people read champ descriptions but I still have fond memories of playing release pyke and getting flamed by zed players when I ulted their opponent

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly as far as healing reduction goes I think they'd be way better off ripping off Smite of all games.

If you haven't played Smite, or haven't played it in a long time, Smite has several extremely powerful healers, like they can pump out a ton more healing and often more damage than league counterparts. They also have a whole series of items for things like spellvamp that increase rapidly as you build them. It's also worth noting that if you get ahead in smite you can absolutely 1v9, they aren't messing around with how strong gods get late game.

This used to be a huge problem because it meant versus some gods trading was just impossible, and in late game you either killed them or they came back 10 seconds later with full health.

A few seasons ago they changed it to just default apply a grievous wounds style healing reduction across the board if you haven't been in active combat for 3 seconds iirc. The main source of anti healing as well is a tank item that just supplies it as an aura so it's nice and easy to work with. Outside of aura items, each unique source of healing reduction stacks, so rather than just being a tax so that you're always able to apply it three people building healing reduction will basically reduce it to 0 for a single target

Then again, Smite is certainly not afraid to take risks, they just removed boots entirely from the game since gods would only ever build one type of boots depending on their role. It's kind of nice since it means you get the item slot for something more interesting instead

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

league of legends could use a spinoff where every character is like aphelios or whatever. part of what made league great is simpler characters with great amounts of depth that are fun to just move around and play, and i think riot completely forgot about this as of late as their new stuff goes against their old design ethos and the two clash quite a bit

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That'll probably be the ARPG characters, Aphelios is basically a late game path of exile character anyway.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That'll probably be the ARPG characters, Aphelios is basically a late game path of exile character anyway.

honestly though i could see myself going bananas over a game where every single character was of aphelios level depth and a smaller roster, perhaps in a 3v3 map. aphelios really doesnt fit in league because the champion is so complex but gets immediately shredded by rengar or camille for zero effort so it is dubious why you would bother learning him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Almost definitely, given Aphelios is the last thing CertainlyT worked on before leaving for the ARPG where he's designing the player character options (as far as I know at least).