Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is it worth reading the Bleach one shot if you know almost nothing about Bleach?

If not, is it worth reading all of Bleach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mikl posted:

Reminder that Chad is the character whose backstory involved being given a coin by his grandfather and keeping it as a memento, going so far as to being badly beat up to protect said coin.

Later he gets a power up when he learns to focus his powers through an item which holds a special significant to him: his skin.

It seriously baffles me Kubo went for that instead of, you know. The coin.

The skin thing doesn't come out of left field when you remember what his grandfather actually told him.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is it worth reading the Bleach one shot if you know almost nothing about Bleach?

No. Yes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh, and in case you were wondering, Elusive Samurai continues to be something special.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

To the first: probably not, no. You will have zero idea who the characters are, or what they are saying to each other even means.

To the second: absolutely not. I still maintain the first few arcs of Bleach were good (up until the end of the Soul Society arc), and then it was interesting for a while longer at least. Then it absolutely went to poo poo.

You can read some of it, but all of it is a waste of time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would say that Bleach is not really worth reading. Like it has a strong start but it ends up not really going anywhere.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

To the first: probably not, no. You will have zero idea who the characters are, or what they are saying to each other even means.

To the second: absolutely not. I still maintain the first few arcs of Bleach were good (up until the end of the Soul Society arc), and then it was interesting for a while longer at least. Then it absolutely went to poo poo.

You can read some of it, but all of it is a waste of time.

Is it worth reading up to the end of that arc and then jumping ahead to the one shot, or will I still be totally lost?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

The skin thing doesn't come out of left field when you remember what his grandfather actually told him.

No. Yes.

fullbringing was specifically based on treasured physical objects which granted powers. you know, a pretty standard riff on tsukumogami. orihime, whose power was based on a treasured hair ornament, was explicitly not a fullbringer. chad, who had a similarly treasured object, did not derive any power from it but was a fullbringer.

kubo put even less thought into that whole mess than usual.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it costs 50 cents to read all of bleach, amazing value

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it worth reading up to the end of that arc and then jumping ahead to the one shot, or will I still be totally lost?

you would be lost

tho bleach doesn't get truly irredeemably bad until after hueco mundo and the early stuff is still pretty good, so if you're curious and have some free time there are worse things you could read

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you would be lost

tho bleach doesn't get truly irredeemably bad until after hueco mundo and the early stuff is still pretty good, so if you're curious and have some free time there are worse things you could read

and honestly. Even the really bad stuff probably goes by quickly enough when you aren't spending a week ruminating on each chapter. Because lol Tite's pacing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There was a joke back in the day that the sunk cost to continue read Bleach every week was minimal because each chapter has like two minutes worth of dialogue. It's not HxH.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Manatee Cannon posted:

you would be lost

Bleach gets bad after the soul society arc because Ichigo and friends decide to join up with the evil authoritarians they were fighting against. The cast also continues to get more and more bloated. Oh, and Ichigo's entire personality becomes "Wants to protect his friends".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every bleach arc is worse than the last one but hueco mundo's still readable and it works as an ending in the same way as you could stop at the tree in hxh

fullbringer is flat out stupid and the final arc is a joke

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Manga good.

But mangaplus has changed it's website so I can't open the mangas in new tabs, I have to navigate back to the list of new chapters after each one.

Alternatively, there's viz, but they don't let me just scroll my mouse and instead want me to use my arrow keys.

Why do companies keep finding new and innovative ways to screw up simple activities?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hueco mundo was the worst for me, just interminable and boring

fullbring going back a bit more grounded like the series start and blood war just turning the knob on stupid weird poo poo made them more enjoyable. even if fullbring was smothered like immediately 😢

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pouring one out for the ruined potential of the fullbringer arc, which I will blame the editors for with no information.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was super into like the first 3 chapters of the Fullbringer arc, but alas.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Elfface posted:

But mangaplus has changed it's website so I can't open the mangas in new tabs, I have to navigate back to the list of new chapters after each one.

Alternatively, there's viz, but they don't let me just scroll my mouse and instead want me to use my arrow keys.

Why do companies keep finding new and innovative ways to screw up simple activities?
I assume a small and steadily decreasing % of people still use manga sites on desktop.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the hostile desktop design definitely will self-fulfill that

absolutely agreed on viz's site sucking which is why i use the app even though it also sucks (lol). i'm behind on ayatri because of this since they can't have that stuff in the app for reasons, and mangaplus has the huge gap.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

Pouring one out for the ruined potential of the fullbringer arc, which I will blame the editors for with no information.

Still one of the coolest antagonist powers not only in bleach, but in general for mental manipulation based powers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: Interested in seeing how the guy who loves run away convinces the guys who are enamored with the idea of fighting to death to abandon battle. poo poo's getting serious.

Roboco: One of the funniest chapters to date, though that might be my HxH nostalgia talking. I dig that the entire chapter was a series of HxH references. Feels like it made use of the manga's strongest strengths (the two best buds and shounen manga references that aren't just "Hey X manga is a thing that exists") to great effect.

Mashle: Heck yeah, character strong but stupid, tests are way scarier than some insane magician intending to destroy the world. Amazing how Not!Dumbledore got so much better after he stopped being the principal figure.

Red Hood: World looks neat and interesting.

Candy Flurry: Please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end please don't end.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sindai posted:

I assume a small and steadily decreasing % of people still use manga sites on desktop.

Am I supposed to read it on a cellphone?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

chumbler posted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thousand Year Blood War started pretty solid in Bleach. But then the Weekly Schedule appeared to get to Kubo and that's when he started falling apart.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Keep reading Bleach as long as you have fun and once you stop having fun, immediately stop reading Bleach and go read something else. Bleach is basically a gentle downward slope, with each arc being slightly worse than the one preceding it, so you don't have to worry about it getting better down the line because it won't. :v:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Bleach is worth reading if you are able to only care about cool looking characters doing cool looking things. Only the last few chapters manage to fail on that front. The overall plot is trash but there are moments that are incredible.

Rukia vs Aaroniero is an amazing fight in every aspect, it’s one of my favorite fights in comics.

Even the thousand year blood war has cool parts. You have to turn your brain off, though. And the anime is trash, the pacing is awful and the art usually is too, don’t watch it.

I won’t recommend you read Bleach, instead you should read Zombie Powder. It’s by the same author and only four volumes, it’s the better series and if you don’t enjoy it you won’t enjoy Bleach. If you DO like it, you will probably enjoy Bleach.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Bleach is poo poo and not worth spending time on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Elfface posted:

Manga good.

I can definitely open the different mangas in different tabs and I always do so from desktop.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I had a blast reading Bleach even when it got really bad, but tbh a lot of that was coming on here every week where we all shitposted about every bit of insane nonsense that occurred.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I loved complaining about Bleach with my Bleach thread buds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I had a blast reading Bleach even when it got really bad, but tbh a lot of that was coming on here every week where we all shitposted about every bit of insane nonsense that occurred.

its what made watching dexter fun

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
:hmmyes: reading about Bleach was often
more fun that reading Bleach for long stretches of its run.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Bleach is poo poo and not worth spending time on.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The best part of Bleach was the series spending so much time building up Isshin and Ryuuken and when they finally got their moment to show off right before the series ended. Some of the best stuff ever.

Hey kid take this Deus ex Machina, alright peace.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that reminds me that urahara was casually mentioned in this bleach chapter but I swear he got blown up and never mentioned again in the final arc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He did.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Oh yeah the week to week posting was immaculate

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mycot posted:

Oh yeah the week to week posting was immaculate
I remember the weekly postings from Arlong Park Forums back in the early 10s - how was it here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wait, Szayel returned from Hell despite having been killed while already in Hell? Or was Szayel dying in Hell non-canonical? It did happen in Chapter Imaginary 1, after all.