Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Mooseontheloose posted:

Their new album is great though. Fake Nudes was also good.

To make this somewhat relevant to this thread, Ed Robertson lead singer of Barenaked Ladies has talked about the legacy of their only number 1 hit, One Week. He said he never grew to hate it because basically it made them as a band and the song has circled back around because of 90s nostalgia.

BNL seems like one band where they're generally ok guys who love what they do. They switch off instruments a fair bit in concerts, probably because it's a lot more fun to play the hits when you're not doing the same part over and over. I saw them 2016-ish(?) and was surprised how much energy they still had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Fuuuck I feel the same way about War on Drugs. Stop being me, Bird!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

packetmantis posted:

Fuuuck I feel the same way about War on Drugs. Stop being me, Bird!!!

LITERALLY PACKETMANTIS :3:

but also condolences on relating to War on Drugs :lol:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I remember well before they were popular they had this anti racism psa. I thought it was just a Canadian thing, but apparently it was on Fox.

https://youtu.be/JtXoKOwTo2M

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hahaha thank you for posting this; I love BNL and Team Skull and somehow I'd never seen it before.

St_Ides posted:

I remember well before they were popular they had this anti racism psa. I thought it was just a Canadian thing, but apparently it was on Fox.

https://youtu.be/JtXoKOwTo2M

:O is this why the first (proper) album is called Gordon? But it's not even on the album!

And a pre-emptive one of these for anyone feeling like Kramering in to poo poo-talk BNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfdTnpV03p8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

during covid my friend has been streaming old episodes of The Amazing Race, and man people in the 2000s were cool just being openly racist about other countries on camera. and the tv show was pretty happy to let the female contestants get groped to hell on packed trains, and nobody, not even their partners, seemed to think it was a big deal.

The initial reality TV boom was infamously exploitative garbage from day one.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Diet Poison posted:

Hahaha thank you for posting this; I love BNL and Team Skull and somehow I'd never seen it before.

:O is this why the first (proper) album is called Gordon? But it's not even on the album!

And a pre-emptive one of these for anyone feeling like Kramering in to poo poo-talk BNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfdTnpV03p8

Gordan's image was in the liner notes of Gordon though.

I remember folks showing up to shows dressed up with the foil, crown, and green skin.
The earlier shows were always fantastic between the audience participation and how the guys would jam out with instrumental breaks and then dropping to the stage and doing the worm.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

MrUnderbridge posted:

Howard Jones was pretty big in the 80s. His stuff was all over MTV and the radio at the time. When he was on some singing contest show some years back my wife was amazed at how good a performer he was.

In the 90s he did a more techno version of What is Love that really kicks it up. Can't find a video link. It's from an album called 80's Diamonds.

Oh I don't doubt his talent or how popular he was in his prime; I remember there was a group of 40+ year old Brits sitting in front of us who came just to see him (this was in the PNW, USA). As somebody born in 92 I had no clue who he was at the time until the chorus to Things Can Only Get Better started playing and I went "oh, he's that guy??" lmao

I never looked into Page's solo stuff before but that track was solid

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Culminating in "Megan Wants A Millionaire" getting cancelled a few episodes in when one of the contestants (who placed third in the final) was found to have murdered and mutilated the woman he married almost immediately after "Millionaire." He was filming another reality series, "I Love Money," at the time. That time period was just a bunch of awful people being thrown into stressful situations for the amusement of terrible people, and it eventally blew up. Who coulda guessed?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sunswipe posted:

Culminating in "Megan Wants A Millionaire" getting cancelled a few episodes in when one of the contestants (who placed third in the final) was found to have murdered and mutilated the woman he married almost immediately after "Millionaire." He was filming another reality series, "I Love Money," at the time. That time period was just a bunch of awful people being thrown into stressful situations for the amusement of terrible people, and it eventally blew up. Who coulda guessed?

On Reality TV murders:

I forget the details, but I remember a Jerry Springer-esque show that had as it's episode theme of the day a gay guy confessing to his straight bets friend that he had a crush on him.

It went badly and the straight dude murdered his friend in a fit of gay-panic. Worst part about it, he used the "gay panic" on appeal and got his conviction overturned.

The family of the dead guy sued the producers, and the show was found to be negligent, but that was also overturned on appeal.

I found the wikipedia page for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Scott_Amedure

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There was The Dating Game back in the 70’s, which had an episode with a man who turned out to be a serial killer. 10 known victims across 2 states, and executed only like 2 weeks ago :stare:

:nms: BE WARNED :nms:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala

I’m sure these shows didn’t age well to start with, but I’ve seen a clip of the one this guy was on via one of the YouTube/podcast people I follow and it’s unsettling (beyond the normal cringe of an old dating show).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Keeping this 90s music talk going, Vice had an article that I think aged badly out the gate.

It’s Been Over Two Decades and Everyone Is Still Wrong About Limp Bizkit

And, i get what its going for but no. The argument is that Limp Bizkit was supposed to be stupid fun and we really shouldn't blame them for Woodstock 99 and the suburban white kids who used their music as a chance to be shitheads but no.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Keeping this 90s music talk going, Vice had an article that I think aged badly out the gate.

It’s Been Over Two Decades and Everyone Is Still Wrong About Limp Bizkit

And, i get what its going for but no. The argument is that Limp Bizkit was supposed to be stupid fun and we really shouldn't blame them for Woodstock 99 and the suburban white kids who used their music as a chance to be shitheads but no.

It is genuinely idiotic to blame them for Woodstock 99. Nu-metal rehabilitation is annoying as a music fan but some of the discourse around that festival approaches Satanic Panic levels.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

I love money owned, nerd

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just ONE reality show contestant ends up being a serial killer and it spoils the entire glorious VH1 Celebreality era, I'm still mad about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

omg how dare they thrust these poor jerkoffs into such terrible situations like ~doing a scavenger hunt~ or ~bouncing around on an inflatable cushion~

If anything the VH1 shows were the LEAST exploitative reality shows, because they were clearly tongue in cheek, half the players were clearly doing a bit, and they were basically physical challenge gameshows

The really terrible, exploitative, and boring reality shows are the fly on the wall MTV reality shows and the bravo ones. They're the ones either showcasing the problems of normal dumbasses or shilling out the stuff rich wankers own

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Aug 10, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tell you what media has aged well though... everything said by Tiffany "New York" Pollard. Absolute legend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's amazing how many reality shows got made where nobody in the production process seemed to realize how terrible or offensive they were. Like one where they lied to a bunch of American women that they were on a dating show where the guy was Prince Harry. Or the one where a woman was supposed to try and figure out which of a group of men was her biological father.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Biggest Loser is also a giant loving nightmare.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That does sound pretty bad (and lol at one of the contestants sharing his nightmare experiences in the comments) but in terms of sheer tastelessness and aging poorly from the first second, nothing can beat the aforementioned I Want To Marry "Harry" or The Swan:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dpkpmk/how-the-most-bizarre-and-offensive-reality-tv-show-of-all-time-got-made-the-swan

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Biggest Loser is also a giant loving nightmare.

Isn't that another one of the ones where as soon as the cameras stop, the majority of the contestants end up backsliding because they no longer have a personal trainer to keep them on track? Along with losing access to all of the state of the art equipment and nutrition they can't afford to maintain and so on and so on?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

the_steve posted:

Isn't that another one of the ones where as soon as the cameras stop, the majority of the contestants end up backsliding because they no longer have a personal trainer to keep them on track? Along with losing access to all of the state of the art equipment and nutrition they can't afford to maintain and so on and so on?

I thought it was more that the methods by which they lose weight were so extreme they were basically impossible to keep up unless your occupation was "biggest loser contestant". Also they made your life miserable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The worst reality show by far has to be Extreme Makeover. Take an 'ugly' person, make them 'beautiful', and surprise reveal them to family and friends to a mixed reception. The Extreme Makeover: Home Edition wasn't as bad, but still had serious issues sticking a struggling family into a ridiculously large and shoddily built home they now had to maintain.

the_steve posted:

I think they try to offer them some support, but you're going from 24/7 monitoring to being on your own and that's rough.

Ironically it's improved our knowledge on weight loss because they get a lot of data on the contestants. For instance your body slows it's metabolism when you lose a lot of weight. That was well known, but now we unfortunately also know that it doesn't return to 'normal' when you gain the weight back.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Aug 10, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

It is genuinely idiotic to blame them for Woodstock 99. Nu-metal rehabilitation is annoying as a music fan but some of the discourse around that festival approaches Satanic Panic levels.

Fair enough about Woodstock 99 and this is on me for not communicating clearly but the numetal rehabilitation is more what I was talking about. By contrast, I think Vice had a much better article on the complicated legacy of Sublime.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Numetal definitely needs a second look, I mean you can't say it was all unsophisticated angsty buttrock for idiots. Why take Aaron Lewis, the former frontman of Staind for instance.

quote:

Lewis doesn’t specifically address who he feels is “brainwashing” the United States in his new song. However, in an interview with Blabbermouth, he said President Obama should have been impeached “a long f–king time ago.” He’s also a staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump.

“We are listening to and allowing the dumbest f–king people in this country to dictate what our lives are and aren’t,” he said. “We’ve allowed a federal government that has the given authority to do eighteen things efficiently and properly, and look where we are.”

Then, he took aim at President Joe Biden, and claimed that everything that was “wrong with America” was “the fault of the Democrats.“

Oh... oh.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

back at the height of the buttrock era, when staind and good Charlotte, etc were huge, some guy gave me poo poo for liking queens of the stone age because "all their stuff sounds the same" :ironicat:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hawowanlawow posted:

back at the height of the buttrock era, when staind and good Charlotte, etc were huge, some guy gave me poo poo for liking queens of the stone age because "all their stuff sounds the same" :ironicat:
🤨

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y’all ever think about how wild it is that we had a reality show where the grand prize was Flavor Flav?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Numetal definitely needs a second look, I mean you can't say it was all unsophisticated angsty buttrock for idiots. Why take Aaron Lewis, the former frontman of Staind for instance.

Oh... oh.

Staind is post-grunge :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Staind is post-grunge :colbert:

Staind on my tightly-whiteys more like. That band was always whiny and useless even when they were popular. And I’m saying this as a kid listening to alt-rock at the time, aka the target audience.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

Well, going back to BNL talk being a white kid in the suburbs, liking anything that wasn't hard like Korn, Limp Bizkit, ect. was basically being told you were a wuss. Now, obviously looking back on it, lots of people DIDN'T like this music but pop culture will pop culture.

Also, the white grievance politics surrounding the genre probably DOES deserve some reflection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Staind on my tightly-whiteys more like. That band was always whiny and useless even when they were popular. And I’m saying this as a kid listening to alt-rock at the time, aka the target audience.

Nobody said they were good. They just didn't make nu-metal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Arivia posted:

I know they went downhill fast with all the "I hate my dad" songs, but recall the first album being okay.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Oh... oh.

Yeah Aaron Lewis sucks, and I say that as someone that loved the first Staind album as a youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxj-H72wmeM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Limp Bizkit definitely cannot be considered "good" in any broad sense (some good songs/moments for sure). But it is hard to overstate just how insufferable the critical backlash to them and the rest of nu-metal was. It doesn't help that that era was also pretty much the nadir of music journalism in general. Just a huge amount of gatekeeping and trying to separate "real" music from popular music. I'm not sure which was the chicken and which was the egg, but nu-metal and turn-of-the-millennium music critics were perfectly positioned to destroy each other. And I guess they kinda did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nu-metal was so bad it made people think lame New York indie rock was good.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Limp Bizkit are also pretty fun to watch live these days. Admittedly I've been utterly smashed each time I've seen them but it's been a blast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the only people that still hate my metal never really grew up from the angsty teens they were, and the rest of the world left them behind years sgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the only people that still hate my metal never really grew up from the angsty teens they were, and the rest of the world left them behind years sgo

I haven't heard your metal but it does probably suck