Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
edit: wrong thread

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Doomers get proven right once more :thunk:

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Florida is just so bad right now. One thing I noticed is their positive test rate has skyrocketed up to over 20%. Now you expect it to rise a bit as resources struggle to keep up with the surge of people needing tests, but this is just extreme. For example, during the winter wave they peaked at 13.9%. During the early summer wave last year where it spread around the US and testing was still scarce, they peaked at 17.7%. So now they are likely missing more cases than they have ever been missing before, and their wave is still rising.

It may be that most of the testing shut down like this dude's experience where nowhere in his similarly poo poo tier state of Alabama had testing available.

He ended up walking into a Wal Mart while contagious (lol) and buying some antigen tests (looks like Binax Now) which according to him have no way to report a positive other than contacting "your physician" which is such a joke because who has a dedicated "physician" these days in the US? As he says a physician visit would cost like $500 in his state since they didn't expand medicaid like the good states did after Obamacare allowed it.

So he was positive on the antigen test and had no way to report it. Also his whole family had it.

On the plus side his 60+ asthmatic mom did fine because she was vaccinated.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Similar to the "will never vaccinate" group, the "wait and see" group is majority white, per the KFF. There is relatively little hesitancy among black people to get the vaccine

It's not all chuds, but chuds are the majority of the "never vaccinate" and the "wait and see" groups. And keep in mind that there are some black chuds; brain damage can occur in any race!
What???? I know it is majority white but as I learned earlier in the thread isn’t that a function of America having a majority white population?

“The July KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor finds the key demographic differences between the “wait and see” and the “definitely not” groups still center on racial and ethnic identity and political partisanship. Four in ten of those in the “wait and see” group are people of color, while the most vaccine resistant group, those who say they will “definitely not” get a COVID-19 vaccine, is overwhelmingly made up of White adults (65% of the group compared to 50% of the “wait and see” group).”

The entire reason I said anything in the first place was because minority communities can and do spread vaccine misinformation and half of the thread was acting like this was impossible. I am concerned that little is being done to reach vaccine hesitant minority groups on a large scale. If there is a demographic in America that should have a legitimate distrust in our medical institutions it’s black people and other minorities. I wouldn’t say that these views alone make them “black chuds.” I want more people vaccinated using positive economic incentives, and less excuses for people who do in fact have the ability to read about safety and get vaccinated but won’t do it. That’s pretty much it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

AHH F/UGH posted:

What kind of freakish counties do you guys live in where school starts in mid-August and not like a month later

If that happened here when I was a kid you'd see teachers protesting and poo poo

The farther south you go, the earlier it starts. Florida is starting this week. Most of the rest of the South starts next week or the week after.

You would think it should be the reverse because colder climates should start earlier due to the risk of weather impacts and the hottest areas shouldn’t start in the hottest part of summer. But America is pretty dumb.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mush Mushi posted:

What???? I know it is majority white but as I learned earlier in the thread isn’t that a function of America having a majority white population?

Yeah that's pretty much it. White conservatives are a large bloc and swaying a lot of them into becoming hesitant or outright antivaxx is largely what determined the current unvaccinated percentage.

Minority communities can and do spread vaccine misinformation, but contrary to conservative reporting that is not what's driving the unvaccinated percentage

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Did anyone check out the Garth Brooks concert. He's taking over the Midwest with his delta album

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/VixitMortus/status/1424909197720789002?s=20

edit: hah

https://twitter.com/suicidepussy/status/1425081903636492291?s=20

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

https://gizmodo.com/i-am-legend-screenwriter-forced-to-tell-anti-vaxxers-hi-1847454699

quote:

The screenwriter who penned the 2007 zombie movie I Am Legend starring Will Smith has been forced to clarify something on Twitter that’s sure to make us all depressed today. The writer, Akiva Goldsman, had to explain that I Am Legend is, in fact, fiction. It’s not a documentary about zombies or something like that.

quote:

Simmons, a Democrat, told The Post that she had been haunted by a 2007 horror movie, “I Am Legend,” which starred actor Will Smith. That film depicts a botched cancer cure that kills most people and transforms the survivors into monsters — and Simmons said the image ran through her head last year as she heard about the rapid development of the coronavirus vaccines.

“I love that movie, for all kinds of reasons. But that was kind of scary. Don’t want to be a zombie,” Simmons said.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/masknerd/status/1424219326631010306?s=20

Good thread if you're interested in masks for kids

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stump collector posted:

Did anyone check out the Garth Brooks concert. He's taking over the Midwest with his delta album

Spread of delta coincides with spread of those cheap Garth Brooks vinyl boxsets. I think you're on to something.

Genuinely frustrates me someone earning $300/hr is this dumb. Hope he bites it and an immigrant gets his job (who'll then get minimum wage).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Spread of delta coincides with spread of those cheap Garth Brooks vinyl boxsets. I think you're on to something.

Genuinely frustrates me someone earning $300/hr is this dumb. Hope he bites it and an immigrant gets his job (who'll then get minimum wage).

airline pilot it looks like

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i have also seen survey respondents reference this and world war z when citing reasons they won't get vaccinated. hard to tell if they are in earnest.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/Global_Montreal/status/1425150486487961604?s=19

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The NYTimes just came out with a big piece doing deep-dives into breakthrough hospitalizations/deaths.

Some interesting figures in there, but also a really wild swings between the number of unvaccinated/vaccinated hospitalization rates. (Washington DC has a 448x higher rate of hospitalizations for the unvaccinated. Utah only has a 5x higher rate.)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Buff Hardback posted:

airline pilot it looks like

A distant family member of mine was a bush pilot, and he was a COVID-19 denier until his family got sick and his wife was hospitalized. Actually, a surprisingly large amount of pilots I've met are huge loving rednecks now that I think of it.

edit:
Good on 'em. Maybe it'll incentivize the rest of the country to develop their own program.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 10, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I have also been troubled by the massive outbreak of nocturnal zombies since mRNA vaccines came out. This person makes a good point.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

A distant family member of mine was a bush pilot, and he was a COVID-19 denier until his family got sick and his wife was hospitalized. Actually, a surprisingly large amount of pilots I've met are huge loving rednecks now that I think of it.

edit:

Good on 'em. Maybe it'll incentivize the rest of the country to develop their own program.

BC health officials changed their tune a couple weeks ago when the Quebec guy said they were going to do it. Went from we don't want to have them to everything's on the table.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
just got a positive diagnosis, do i get a gangtag? mods?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

got my 2nd pfizer jab today. lamest deus ex body mod

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I’m curious to see how my work will change when I get back from paternity leave. I’m really hoping people will take it seriously and I won’t walk into 95% covid again

I work in a large hospital just outside a major city and we’ve had consistently about 4-6 patients in our ICU with covid. The regular floors are being slowly consumed. They’re spreading out from one designated pod into 1-2 more. So likely 10-20 non-icu covid + patients.

I will disappoint everyone here when I tell you most of our population with covid are minorities despite our hospital serving the richer suburbs. So there really isn’t a god.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Brazil really does not give a gently caress about Covid, 1000+ dead for months straight

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Brazil really does not give a gently caress about Covid, 1000+ dead for months straight

Brazil: Making Poland and Turkey look cultured since 1822

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

EA Sports posted:

just got a positive diagnosis, do i get a gangtag? mods?

Join the club I guess? poo poo is just everywhere in the southern us. Luckily I got my shots back in Feb and March so it didn't affect anything below my neck but still was pretty unpleasant.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My ex-wife's dad was a corporate pilot and a hardcore republican.

My flight instructor last year said "sleepy joe" once so maybe him too.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Still a shame Bolsonaro didn’t kick it.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I'm vax'd. I was a slow adopter out of laziness, and got it in late April/early June.

I'm a federal worker. And they're figuring out how it's going to be mandated. I can totally understand mandating it for military. They own you.

And I know EVERYONE needs to get it. For the good of humanity.

but, man, there is some part of me that I was surprised to find out, that I think forcing gov't civilians to get it is kind of messed up. Our command hasn't really talked about specifics.

maybe i have a tiny libertarian streak or something. It'll legit be a good thing, and not affect me at all, but my hackles kind of just raise because of THE AUTHORITAY.

it's such a stupid feeling, and goes against my internal logic and feelings, but still. that stupid inkling of a feeling is there.

this is probably a better post in the 'We're just going to admit it' thread

please don't hate me, guys.

e- also to just chime in, they asked for my insurance info, but I wasn't charged or anything, so I don't get what was up with that.
AND they didn't give me my COVID card on the second shot. I had to go back and ask for one. wtf. CVS

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

blight rhino posted:

e- also to just chime in, they asked for my insurance info, but I wasn't charged or anything, so I don't get what was up with that.
AND they didn't give me my COVID card on the second shot. I had to go back and ask for one. wtf. CVS

It’s so they can bill your insurer. If you don’t have insurance the feds foot the bill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re not being forced to get the vaccine.

They’re being forced to get the vaccine or undergo weekly testing.

There were universities testing everyone more often than that, and testing everyone because no vaccine was available at the time.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

blight rhino posted:

but, man, there is some part of me that I was surprised to find out, that I think forcing gov't civilians to get it is kind of messed up. Our command hasn't really talked about specifics.

maybe i have a tiny libertarian streak or something. It'll legit be a good thing, and not affect me at all, but my hackles kind of just raise because of THE AUTHORITAY.

No it's the right stance that the government shouldn't be able to force you to put anything in your body that you don't want, but also that they're now under the obligation to force you to live in a bubble for the rest of your life since you willingly choose to be a plague bearer

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 11, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

blight rhino posted:

but, man, there is some part of me that I was surprised to find out, that I think forcing gov't civilians to get it is kind of messed up.

is forcing people to wear seatbelts messed up too

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Covid should also not be allowed to put things in your body but libertarians never seem to care about stopping that

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AHH F/UGH posted:

No it's the right stance that the government shouldn't be able to force you to put anything in your body that you don't want
I can't agree, I think vaccination should be completely mandatory without a legitimate medical reason. We live in a society.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

blight rhino posted:

Mandated vaccination is in line with libertarian beliefs. as a federal worker, the government making you get a vaccine is not acting as the government. They are acting as your boss. And it’s 100% libertarian doctrine for your boss to fire you for whatever reason they want. They aren’t tieing employees up and force injecting them, if they don’t like the working conditions spelled out by the boss, they have every right to quit and find a new drat job.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stump collector posted:

Limp Bizkit just played Lollapalooza but have cancelled the rest of their Limited Last Minute Post Pandemic Popup Party tour because it turns out we're not Post Pandemic after all!

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1424425184900091905

The 10 day Sturgis rally is currently happening in South Dakota and they're reporting their largest attendance in years, somewhere around 700,000 people crammed into that tiny city. Most of them seem to be middleaged or older and barely any of them are wearing masks, and social distancing is of course not happening at all. :coronatoot:

There's a bunch of 24/7 live feeds if you want to watch a superspreader event happen in real time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjoSZLmc4Y

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

pseudodragon posted:

Mandated vaccination is in line with libertarian beliefs. as a federal worker, the government making you get a vaccine is not acting as the government. They are acting as your boss. And it’s 100% libertarian doctrine for your boss to fire you for whatever reason they want. They aren’t tieing employees up and force injecting them, if they don’t like the working conditions spelled out by the boss, they have every right to quit and find a new drat job.

people from all over the political spectrum are loath to think critically and prefer to vote for the government they think will enforce their values

it's hilarious actually

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

blight rhino posted:

it's such a stupid feeling, and goes against my internal logic and feelings, but still. that stupid inkling of a feeling is there.

Excellent username/post combo. :v:

Thanks for stepping up and posting your honest views, this is a discussion that needs to be had. There's a LOT of people out there that feel pretty much exactly the same way you do and it's going to become a pretty big issue real soon, there's already a whole lot of first responder/med staff/teacher unions fighting against mandated vaccines under various dodgy arguments which will probably blow up soon, even though the Supreme Court has already ruled that businesses can require vaxxes so it's pretty much a done deal.

Also the Landlords Association recently presented a legal challenge against the CDC's proposed extension on the eviction moratorium claiming it's breaching their Third Amendment constitutional rights. :v: :v:
("No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner". They're arguing that some of the tenants must be armed forces personnel sooooooo ......)
https://reason.com/2021/08/10/is-the-cdcs-eviction-moratorium-a-third-amendment-violation/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 10 day Sturgis rally is currently happening in South Dakota and they're reporting their largest attendance in years, somewhere around 700,000 people crammed into that tiny city. Most of them seem to be middleaged or older and barely any of them are wearing masks, and social distancing is of course not happening at all. :coronatoot:
Given how rapidly Delta does its thing and the general physical health of the people there, it’s entirely possible that one or more people will die *at* Sturgis rather than *after* Sturgis. And of Covid, not with Covid.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

blight rhino posted:

I'm vax'd. I was a slow adopter out of laziness, and got it in late April/early June.

I'm a federal worker. And they're figuring out how it's going to be mandated. I can totally understand mandating it for military. They own you.

And I know EVERYONE needs to get it. For the good of humanity.

I have some of the same concerns. On the other hand anti-vaxxers are probably dead weight on the government as a whole, so this could be a great opportunity to lighten the load a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DickParasite posted:

I have some of the same concerns. On the other hand anti-vaxxers are probably dead weight on the government as a whole, so this could be a great opportunity to lighten the load a bit.
They’re also completely overwhelming hospitals and traumatizing an entire generation of healthcare workers. And in doing so, making it hard or impossible for people to get routine treatment for appendicitis, heart attacks, broken bones, etc.